PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss something with Uribe?

MushMouth
08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
did he get dinged-up, or has Cintron basically played his way into a full-time platoon? I know Ozzie was upset with Uribe's defense lately, but I really didn't think he'd lose starts over it... considering he's always played with that "style" of defense (one-handed scoops, backhands, relying on his gun). Anyway, just curious if he's still our "starting" SS.

I actually love Cintron's game too, so it's nice to have him to fall back on.

Also, is Crede ready to go tonight?

I have a good feeling that those days off are going to be mighty good for Crede! Big August on the way for left-side of the infield imo.

jenn2080
08-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Uribe is on a time out until he learns how to catch a damn ball

Jerko
08-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Uribe is on a time out until he learns how to catch a damn ball

Talk about cruel and unusual punishment. That could take months.

Actually I heard that he had back "tightness" and that he and Joe would both be back today. AJ sits tonight with the Buehrle/Alomar battery going.

jdm2662
08-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Talk about cruel and unusual punishment. That could take months.

Actually I heard that he had back "tightness" and that he and Joe would both be back today. AJ sits tonight with the Buehrle/Alomar battery going.

Crede had back tightness. Uribe is seeing time on the bench because of half ass efforts in the field.

slobes
08-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Tribune today said both Crede and Uribe had sore backs.

Jerko
08-07-2006, 01:55 PM

So did the Times.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt07.html

I'm sure however that his lackadaisical D lately hasn't helped.

MushMouth
08-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Another question - is Cintron the better all-around SS?

He's pretty damn solid with the bat and the leather. Good enough that he makes Uribe expendable this offseason imo.

Ol' No. 2
08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Another question - is Cintron the better all-around SS?

He's pretty damn solid with the bat and the leather. Good enough that he makes Uribe expendable this offseason imo.Cintron might be an acceptable SS on most teams, but if you want to win it all, he's not good enough to be an everyday player. IMO, this is the most likely place for the Sox to upgrade this winter. Uribe and a starting pitcher for a top-notch SS. They might have to throw in a prospect, but that kind of package would bring a pretty good player.

bayzbol44
08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
It seems like they all are pretty tight when they are going for the sweep.

Huisj
08-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Anyone think that Cintron could turn into a Carlos Guillen type player in the near future? Guillen came up with some ok doubles power and has turned that into a high average with some ok pop as he's gotten into his late 20s. Cintron's first few years in the league are arguably better than Guillen's in some ways. They're both switch hitters, both adequate but unspectacular fielders.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-07-2006, 03:37 PM
What is the problem with Uribe, anyway? He has gone from very solid last year to average defensively. He's at an age where he should be better, not declining.

Plus, he is still clueless at the plate and has no idea what a strike is. I could forgive him that if he were still flawless in the field, because he can get very hot with the bat at times. I hope he's been saving it for this week.

Fungo
08-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Cintron might be an acceptable SS on most teams, but if you want to win it all, he's not good enough to be an everyday player. IMO, this is the most likely place for the Sox to upgrade this winter. Uribe and a starting pitcher for a top-notch SS. They might have to throw in a prospect, but that kind of package would bring a pretty good player.Michael Young :praying:

Blob
08-07-2006, 03:51 PM

I heard it was because they both had a weak back!

Scottiehaswheels
08-07-2006, 03:55 PM
They're both switch hitters, both adequate but unspectacular fielders.Unspectacular? Guillen has like 20 errors already this year if I'm not mistaken... unspectacular is one heck of an understatement:smile:

FielderJones
08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I heard it was because they both had a weak back!

How long ago was that?

About a week back. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
08-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Ky:

Work ethic questions have dogged Uribe, at least early in his career in Colorado. I don't know if that's an issue with him this season or not.

Last year simply may have been a 'fluke' year for him a la Politte, and this may be closer to his 'normal' numbers. Because he's still a young player who hasn't had a lot of time in the bigs, it's hard to say which is which right now.

I agree with No. 2 that this is an area Kenny may be looking to 'upgrade' over the off season if someone (Tejeda?) is available.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
08-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Ky:

Work ethic questions have dogged Uribe, at least early in his career in Colorado. I don't know if that's an issue with him this season or not.

Last year simply may have been a 'fluke' year for him a la Politte, and this may be closer to his 'normal' numbers. Because he's still a young player who hasn't had a lot of time in the bigs, it's hard to say which is which right now.

I agree with No. 2 that this is an area Kenny may be looking to 'upgrade' over the off season if someone (Tejeda?) is available.

LipEven if Uribe comes back to last year's level defensively, with that swing he's still never going to be a decent, consistent hitter. Unless they're going to make a big upgrade, don't bother. But there are maybe 3-4 SS that would be a big enough upgrade to be worthwhile, and with a good enough package, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was possible.

Huisj
08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Unspectacular? Guillen has like 20 errors already this year if I'm not mistaken... unspectacular is one heck of an understatement:smile:

Wow, didn't realize he'd had that many this year. In other years it looks like he's been about average though in terms of errors, fielding percentage, and range.