PDA

View Full Version : The Alomar curse !

White Sox Randy
08-07-2006, 08:58 AM
The White Sox have had Roberto Alomar and Sandy Alomar on and off this team a number of times in recent years.

Does anyone realize that the White Sox have NEVER made the playoffs in a year when either Alomar was on the team for any period of time ?

Is this an omen ?

voodoochile
08-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Only flubs fans believe in curses and omens...

Madvora
08-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I remember reading about someone named Adolphus Alomar on the Sox in 1919. He was a backup second baseman or something. They said Charles Comiskey picked him up half way through the season and it was him that actually got all the other players into gambling.

SoxFan78
08-07-2006, 09:57 AM
The White Sox have had Roberto Alomar and Sandy Alomar on and off this team a number of times in recent years.

Does anyone realize that the White Sox have NEVER made the playoffs in a year when either Alomar was on the team for any period of time ?

Is this an omen ?

Also in the 2000's, no White Sox team has ever won a World Series without a Everett or a Harris on the team!!!!

downstairs
08-07-2006, 10:07 AM
The White Sox have ONLY won the World Series in years numbered 1906, 1917, 2005.

Thus, there is no chance of them winning in 2006.

soxfan13
08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sooooooooooo many other White Sox players you can say that about.

voodoochile
08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
The White Sox have ONLY won the World Series in years numbered 1906, 1917, 2005.

There was an 11 year difference between #1 and #2.

There was an 88 year difference between #2 and #3.

Thus the next one is due in 2709. Let's hope our alien masters will still let us hold the WS at that time...

LuvSox
08-07-2006, 10:13 AM
There was an 11 year difference between #1 and #2.

There was an 88 year difference between #2 and #3.

Thus the next one is due in 2709. Let's hope our alien masters will still let us hold the WS at that time...

Let's hope Sandy Alomar has retired by then

CaptainBallz
08-07-2006, 10:34 AM
The Sox have also never, I repeat NEVER, made the playoffs when their record was not good enough to get them there. Throughout the ENTIRE history of the franchise!!...:o:

The Sox have also NEVER, I repeat NEVER, won a playoff game with the help of a guy named Schlomo..

White Sox Randy
08-07-2006, 11:32 AM
If we miss the playoffs this year, I'll have to say "I told you so".

It's a bad bad sign.

CaptainBallz
08-07-2006, 11:36 AM
If we miss the playoffs this year, I'll have to say "I told you so".

It's a bad bad sign.

Didn't want to do it, but with that post it's safe to say...
:threadblows:

jenn2080
08-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Curse Smurse. Some people have to much time to think.

The Dude
08-07-2006, 11:42 AM

Is this an omen ?
No but this is another reason to have a user like yourself on ignore!

Did you know that every year we had any player on our team from 1918-2004, didn't produce a championship? Omen for sure!:rolleyes:

White Sox Randy
08-07-2006, 12:11 PM
It is pretty interesting whan you think about it.

2000 No Alomars = Playoffs
2001 Sandy = No Playoffs
2002 Sandy = No Playoffs
2003 Sandy & Robbie = No Playoffs
2004 Sandy & Robbie = No Playoffs
2005 No Alomars = Playoffs

Just having some fun. Some of you guys are way too uptight.

batmanZoSo
08-07-2006, 12:32 PM

2001 Sandy = No Playoffs
2002 Sandy = No Playoffs

I'm uptight?! You're uptight! Expect a brick through your picture window!

:D:

getonbckthr
08-07-2006, 12:33 PM

2001 Sandy = No Playoffs
2002 Sandy = No Playoffs

I smell a bannable rant discussing the WSI strict and Nazi-like rules and regulations. At least they are good for laughs.

thomas35forever
08-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Did you know Frank Thomas went to three playoffs as a member of the Sox organization and they only won the World Series once? There must be a Curse of the Big Hurt in there somewhere.

DumpJerry
08-07-2006, 02:10 PM

Is this an omen ?
No.

However, in a more significant sign or omen, I crunched some numbers over the weekend and found the following which tells me there will be another parade on LaSalle around Oct. 30th:
2005 White Sox: offense averaged three outs per inning, except for final innings when a walk-off takes place.
2006 White Sox: offense is averaging three out per inning, except for final innings when a walk-off takes place.

2005 White Sox: Pitchers are getting three batters out per inning (except for the final inning on occasion) regardless of hits and runs surrendered.

Kinda spooky, huh?
2006 White Sox: Pitchers are getting three batters out per inning (except for the final inning on occasion) regardless of hits and runs surrendered.

Ol' No. 2
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Curse Smurse. Some people have to much time to NOT think.Isn't this what you really meant?

bayzbol44
08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
People here are a little uptight. The person is just trying to have some fun.

The stats are facts, can't hide them. This person gets ripped for having some fun, but there are people on here following the damn Cubs more than the White Sox just to make fun of them. Geeez. Let go of the damn Cubs already.

getonbckthr
08-07-2006, 02:17 PM
People here are a little uptight. The person is just trying to have some fun.

The stats are facts, can't hide them. This person gets ripped for having some fun, but there are people on here following the damn Cubs more than the White Sox just to make fun of them. Geeez. Let go of the damn Cubs already.
I think there was 1 cub comment in this message thread until your post and that was that Flub fans believe in curses. So maybe you should let go of the Cubs and focus on the Sox.

sullythered
08-07-2006, 02:28 PM
This person gets ripped for having some fun, but there are people on here following the damn Cubs more than the White Sox just to make fun of them. Geeez. Let go of the damn Cubs already.
I never bring up the Cubs on these boards, but this is a very Cub fan-like argument to make. There is no curse. Curses are for pretend.

Until 2005, no Sox team had ever made the playoffs with Freddie Garcia, Jose Contreras, Joe Crede, Tadahito Iguchi, Jermaine Dye, etc.

White Sox Randy
08-07-2006, 02:52 PM
You've all made really good clever exaggerations. That was really difficult.

But, atleast there is some meat to this. Do I really think there is a curse ? Ofcourse not.

But, it IS unusual that we had the 2 brothers on the team, 1 for 2 years and the other for 4 years in the last 6 - and yet we made the playoffs both of the years that we had neither of them. It's funny.

Now, I'll say something as clever as the rest of you. Uh.....we won the World Series when we beat Houston 4 straight games for the first time. ha ha ha

BNLSox
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM

2001 Sandy = No Playoffs
2002 Sandy = No Playoffs

2000 No Alomars = no playoff wins, swept by the wildcard --> No pitching

2001 - 2004 Alomars = No playoffs - No 5th starter, no sturdy catcher, no sturdy closer, relied on the 3-run shot to win.

2005 5th starter + role players + sturdy reliable catcher = Playoffs with championship

Sandy Alomar is such an upgrade over Widger its amazing.

I know you're just looking for trends, but look for ones that provide hope and excitement, not dead ends.

CaptainBallz
08-07-2006, 03:10 PM
You've all made really good clever exaggerations. That was really difficult.

But, atleast there is some meat to this. Do I really think there is a curse ? Ofcourse not.

But, it IS unusual that we had the 2 brothers on the team, 1 for 2 years and the other for 4 years in the last 6 - and yet we made the playoffs both of the years that we had neither of them. It's funny.

Now, I'll say something as clever as the rest of you. Uh.....we won the World Series when we beat Houston 4 straight games for the first time. ha ha ha

Here's an idea, next time you have some fun with some quirky little anomaly, try and make it not so annoying. Try including something that has the Sox getting INTO the playoffs, not missing them. Pointless **** like what you posted could only serve to piss people off, which it did fabulously.

Chez
08-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Here's an idea, next time you have some fun with some quirky little anomaly try and make it not so annoying. Try including something that has the Sox getting INTO the playoffs, not missing them. Pointless **** like what you posted could only serve to piss people off, which it did fabulously.

Ouch!! For what it's worth, the Sox never made it to the World Series when Sandy Jr.'s or Robbie's dad (Sandy Alomar) played for the team either. We're fully and completely cooked.

slobes
08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
No.

However, in a more significant sign or omen, I crunched some numbers over the weekend and found the following which tells me there will be another parade on LaSalle around Oct. 30th:
2005 White Sox: offense averaged three outs per inning, except for final innings when a walk-off takes place.
2006 White Sox: offense is averaging three out per inning, except for final innings when a walk-off takes place.

2005 White Sox: Pitchers are getting three batters out per inning (except for the final inning on occasion) regardless of hits and runs surrendered.

Kinda spooky, huh?
2006 White Sox: Pitchers are getting three batters out per inning (except for the final inning on occasion) regardless of hits and runs surrendered.

Now you could be on to something there...

White Sox Randy
08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Here's an idea, next time you have some fun with some quirky little anomaly, try and make it not so annoying. Try including something that has the Sox getting INTO the playoffs, not missing them. Pointless **** like what you posted could only serve to piss people off, which it did fabulously.

If that pisses you off, then you've got plenty of problems.

miker
08-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Dare we introduce a new term: "Alomar-sessive?"

Another fun exercise would be naming the former players who made the playoffs after they left the White Sox.

CaptainBallz
08-08-2006, 04:46 PM

More in a "***-people-picking-the-cheese-between-their-toes-in-public" kinda way. Just don't need to see it. Not funny. Not fun.

Moving along...

Foulke You
08-08-2006, 05:20 PM
I remember reading about someone named Adolphus Alomar on the Sox in 1919. He was a backup second baseman or something. They said Charles Comiskey picked him up half way through the season and it was him that actually got all the other players into gambling.
And wasn't it old Samuel "No Neck" Alomar who was a minor league hitting coach for the Sox during the 1960 season? We all know they didn't follow up a Pennant with another one! I also think the '67 collapse might have something to do with the White Sox equipment manager's romantic relationship with Susan Alomar, Sandy Alomar Sr.'s older sister. Why, the stink of the Alomar curse was so great in their uniforms, how could they possibly overcome one of the tightest pennant races in history? James Baldwin, Magglio Ordonez, and Ray Durham played on the same team as Roberto Alomar in the 2000 AL All Star game and we all know how that season ended! That's right, a sweep by the M's! And people here don't see a curse? You must be blind.

voodoochile
08-08-2006, 07:16 PM

It pisses me off that you accuse other people of having problems with something stupid that you posted which got rightfully hammered and then you defended by saying, Ha ha... only joking.

Next time post it in WTS not the Clubhouse and you won't have any problems. Or, better yet... try teal... that way no one will ever be confused about the lighthearted nature of the drivel you post...

SoxWillWin
08-09-2006, 12:56 PM

Is this an omen ?

so what was the problem the other 80 some odd years they didn't make the playoffs?????

0o0o0
08-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Is this an omen ?

Of course it's an omen. What else would it be? By chance? The makeup of those teams? I don't think so.

(:rolleyes:)

White Sox Randy
09-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Oh ****. We missed again.

Well, maybe we can still win 10 of 12.

If not, Chris Berman should "forget the Alomar".

soxfan13
09-19-2006, 12:06 PM

Isnt this considered a bump?

Mickster
09-19-2006, 12:39 PM

http://www.carloszapataautomata.com/webphotos/video-bye-bye.gif

jenn2080
09-19-2006, 01:03 PM

Is this an omen ?

:threadsucks

I will say it again. There is no such thing as curses. If you want to believe that take the red line straight up the Addison stop and exit on your left.

whitesoxwilkes
09-19-2006, 01:15 PM

...and you can enjoy your time off for bumping this lame-ass thread.

we be jake
09-19-2006, 08:22 PM

But they have won in years numbered '06.