PDA

View Full Version : What? The Wave at The Shrine?

DrCrawdad
08-07-2006, 07:59 AM
http://www.team990.com/rtecontent/image/LesGrobstein100.jpg
"Yeah, (Sox fans) are the ones ... that ... do the Wave (only venu in Chicago that do that awful thing). You won't see that crap at Wrigley Field. Want me to go on?" - Les Grobstein's comments here at WSI (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=268395&postcount=24), which he has boasted about quite often in the past.

"...the Wave, something that belongs in a college football stadium (if anywhere), managed to get all the way around Wrigley Field three times -- for the first time that any of us could remember.

"Come on, people. This is a baseball game. If you're not interested in watching it -- stay home, go to a bar, go to the beach, go to a college football game. But don't do the Wave at Wrigley Field. It started, in fact, a couple sections over from us, we think from a guy who stood up an inning or so before, apparently drunk, just to point out that there was a "White Sox fan" in their midst. Who cares?" - Cubbie Blogger posting (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/) about Cubbie fans doing The Wave at The Shrine on August 6, 2006.

So Grobber what do you have to say now? Still going to boast about how The Wave never takes place The Shrine? Of course you'll probably say that it has only happened once at The Sacred Confines, but remember it has happened and apparently Cubbie fans were having a good time at it seeing as how it swept thru the Crumbling Confines THREE TIMES!

Oh, and why is it that you neglected to mention Cubbie fans doing The Wave at Wrigley in your game recap (http://www.grobber.com)?

DrCrawdad
08-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Les Grostein! Your crow is ready!

http://sasksocialclub.com/sask_graphics/eat_crow.gif

DumpJerry
08-07-2006, 08:14 AM
When I was at the Saturday game in Baltimore, some goof in a blue polo shirt (of course!) kept trying to get a wave going, but nobody was going along with him. He was getting very frustrated as if the meaning of his like depended on a Wave getting started. This guy was in his late 30's/early 40's and really needed to get a life.

1951Campbell
08-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Hmm, you won't see that crap at Wrigley Field, huh, Les? I can think of even more "crap" you won't see there:

http://static.flickr.com/13/88815938_03002e8b98_m.jpg

...but hey, there's always this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/images/2006/07/02/image6cb12df2-8017-4e18-a8a9-0981e4639834.jpg

DrCrawdad
08-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Hmm, you won't see that crap at Wrigley Field, huh, Les? I can think of even more "crap" you won't see there:

http://static.flickr.com/13/88815938_03002e8b98_m.jpg

...but hey, there's always this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/images/2006/07/02/image6cb12df2-8017-4e18-a8a9-0981e4639834.jpg

VERY GOOD!
:bandance::supernana::bandance:

PatK
08-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Hello. I just earned myself three days off for being an idiot.

TornLabrum
08-07-2006, 09:45 AM
So Grobber what do you have to say now? Still going to boast about how The Wave never takes place The Shrine? Of course you'll probably say that it has only happened once at The Sacred Confines, but remember it has happened and apparently Cubbie fans were having a good time at it seeing as how it swept thru the Crumbling Confines THREE TIMES!

Oh, and why is it that you neglected to mention Cubbie fans doing The Wave at Wrigley in your game recap (http://www.grobber.com)?

Those were just Sox fans who went to the shrine to give Cubs fans a bad name. You know, like the ones who threw trash on the field.

34rancher
08-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Those were just Sox fans who went to the shrine to give Cubs fans a bad name. You know, like the ones who threw trash on the field.
And the same ones that killed the ivy a few years back...and same sox fans that pushed Bartman into the field after tripping on a goat to interfere with Alou making the routine catch that should have been infield fly rule hit by that bat that they corked of Sammy's while he was losing that bag of money while running to right field holding up that syringe with an American Flag attatched to it...DAMN SMUT SOX!!!

I think that about does it...

Hitmen77
08-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I didn't realize that there was an official reason for Cub fans rejecting the wave. According to the Cubune, it wasn't that they are better fans - rather, it stems from long standing bitterness over their '84 massive playoff choke.

The wave unofficially has been banned at Wrigley since 1984, when San Diego fans performed it almost non-stop at Jack Murphy Stadium during the Padres' comeback against the Cubs in the National League Championship Series.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060806cubsbits,1,3688672.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

The Dude
08-07-2006, 11:48 AM

Where's your Grobber now????:tongue:

The Wave sucks no matter who the **** is doing it! And it seems to happen at the most crucial parts of games as well.

Fenway
08-07-2006, 11:56 AM
The wave has been part of Fenway Park for 20 years and it drives me nuts.

PKalltheway
08-07-2006, 12:18 PM
The Wave is really, really tired. I hate even thinking about it.

monkeypants
08-07-2006, 01:07 PM
"Come on, people. This is a baseball game. If you're not interested in watching it -- stay home, go to a bar, go to the beach, go to a college football game. But don't do the Wave at Wrigley Field. It started, in fact, a couple sections over from us, we think from a guy who stood up an inning or so before, apparently drunk, just to point out that there was a "White Sox fan" in their midst. Who cares?" - Cubbie Blogger posting (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/) about Cubbie fans doing The Wave at The Shrine on August 6, 2006.

Does this blogger even attend Cub games? It finally takes the Wave for him/her to point out that people shouldn't come to Wrigley if they aren't going to follow the game? The blogger's cognitive dissonance breakthrough should have blown their head apart.

rowand33
08-07-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm no fan of the wave and I don't stand up to do it...

but I can't understand why it bothers people so much.

if some drunk people attempting to synchronize their standing up ruins your enjoyment of a baseball game, you've got some problems.

Dick Allen
08-07-2006, 02:01 PM

if some drunk people attempting to synchronize their standing up ruins your enjoyment of a baseball game, you've got some problems.Well, yeah, it does bother me and other people who are there to, you know, watch the game. Speaking of the wave, it's another perfect example of the "beware of stupid people in large groups" phrase.

sullythered
08-07-2006, 02:32 PM

if some drunk people attempting to synchronize their standing up ruins your enjoyment of a baseball game, you've got some problems.

Yeah, I agree. I don't actually do the wave, but I don't get all the animosity towards it. It's not nearly as annoying as cell phone camera hogs and the like.

itsnotrequired
08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I agree. I don't actually do the wave, but I don't get all the animosity towards it. It's not nearly as annoying as cell phone camera hogs and the like.

Same boat here. Another waste is the guy who insists on standing for every vendor transaction, especially those that do it every inning. That guy blocks my view for a far greater period of time than any wave session could ever hope to have. Seriously, standing will not get you your food or drink quicker nor will it mean the vendor will give your purchase away.

MrX
08-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Someone called into Murph and said the people on the rooftops were doing it too:roflmao:

zach23
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Well, yeah, it does bother me and other people who are there to, you know, watch the game. Speaking of the wave, it's another perfect example of the "beware of stupid people in large groups" phrase.

How does it stop you from watching the game though? People standing up for 2 seconds to do the wave in front of you is no different than the occasional person standing to leave their seat or return.
I don't do the wave and never will, but it has never stopped me from watching and enjoying the game. I even keep score every game and have never missed a pitch while the wave was going on. I just ignore it and watch the field.
You have to remember that to get 40k people into the park you are going to have quite a few that are not hard-core baseball fans. You have to face the fact that a lot of the people there now are not there to watch every inning of every game and are more entertained by pizza races, T-shirt giveaways, and doing things like the wave. So be it, they paid for the ticket and in doing so help the team.
I would rather have the drunks doing the wave around me instead of starting fights or throwing crap (both of which happened regularly in the bleachers when people got bored in past seasons). Those types of drunken activities bother me much more than the wave does.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-07-2006, 02:48 PM

Alsip Day at Wrigley Field. Woo hoo!!!

zach23
08-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Same boat here. Another waste is the guy who insists on standing for every vendor transaction, especially those that do it every inning. That guy blocks my view for a far greater period of time than any wave session could ever hope to have. Seriously, standing will not get you your food or drink quicker nor will it mean the vendor will give your purchase away.

Now that I agree with. The people who insist on standing until they get their beer, thus blocking my view for several minutes, are much more bothersome.

DrCrawdad
08-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Alsip Day at Wrigley Field. Woo hoo!!!

This Alsip (http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=xeRe3BYAAAC64ZufijpRPD0afEYnTpeUo 4cocwWvDVg2RHsu8f1bCg&hl=en)is a Cubbie :dtroll: is the bane of the Sox newsgroup and is despised by many in the Cubbie NG as well.

vegyrex
08-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I didn't realize that there was an official reason for Cub fans rejecting the wave. According to the Cubune, it wasn't that they are better fans - rather, it stems from long standing bitterness over their '84 massive playoff choke.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060806cubsbits,1,3688672.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

I read about that many years ago in some baseball book. It mentioned the wave traumatized the cubs so much they dropped the next three games.

Poor babies. :wink:

cheeses_h_rice
08-07-2006, 03:11 PM
The Wave is annoying because it seems to always happen during a crucial part of the game, and seriously, hearing all the morons to my left and right tittering in anticipation for when the wave is coming back to our section just sucks a little bit of life out of my mortal soul.

Dick Allen
08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
How does it stop you from watching the game though? People standing up for 2 seconds to do the wave in front of you is no different than the occasional person standing to leave their seat or return.
I don't do the wave and never will, but it has never stopped me from watching and enjoying the game. I even keep score every game and have never missed a pitch while the wave was going on. I just ignore it and watch the field.
You have to remember that to get 40k people into the park you are going to have quite a few that are not hard-core baseball fans. You have to face the fact that a lot of the people there now are not there to watch every inning of every game and are more entertained by pizza races, T-shirt giveaways, and doing things like the wave. So be it, they paid for the ticket and in doing so help the team.
I would rather have the drunks doing the wave around me instead of starting fights or throwing crap (both of which happened regularly in the bleachers when people got bored in past seasons). Those types of drunken activities bother me much more than the wave does.It's an added distraction that we shouldn't have to deal with. Yes, there are worse things, but the whole thing seems stupid to me. It's a shame that the number of fans who actually go to the game to see the game is declining, at least % wise. If you can block these things out while you're trying to watch the game, more power to you. I'm usually yelling at these people to sit down and watch the **** game.

santo=dorf
08-07-2006, 08:39 PM
well doc!!!! I see youcaught me with my hand in the COOKIE JAR again,,,,,,,,The Cubs have,,,,there William Ligue Jr's too,,,(NOT!!!)
:D:

1951Campbell
08-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Someone called into Murph and said the people on the rooftops were doing it too:roflmao:

:rolling:

StatHead21
08-07-2006, 08:52 PM
The wave is awful. Chanting is much more fun.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-07-2006, 10:34 PM

No, No, No, not the Cubs choke, the Padres comeback!

For some reason I have a vision of Ted & Jane at a Braves game doing the wave. Disturbing.

pearso66
08-07-2006, 11:50 PM
It's an added distraction that we shouldn't have to deal with. Yes, there are worse things, but the whole thing seems stupid to me. It's a shame that the number of fans who actually go to the game to see the game is declining, at least % wise. If you can block these things out while you're trying to watch the game, more power to you. I'm usually yelling at these people to sit down and watch the **** game.

I understand not liking the wave, I don't do it, and have actually seen it fail numerous times this year, as people in my section try to start it, and nobody pays any attention, but I don't see any reason to yell at the people to sit down, when they will in less than 1 second anyway. That's like the guy behind me telling me to sit the **** down when I stand for the first pitch. The worst is the guys who stand for their beer, that is the guy to be yelling at. or the guy who gets up every 1/2 inning to go to the washroom. The wave is annoying, but it's really not that bad.

Scottzilla
08-08-2006, 12:29 AM
The wave doesnt bother me as much as simple etiquette. such as getting up during play. i think they should run a video before the game showing someone taking a bat to the face and telling people to pay attention for there own safety. lord knows asking them to be polite isnt going to work.

TDog
08-08-2006, 03:46 AM

I first noticed the wave in 1984. Tigers fans were doing it and fans picked it up elsewhere. It's not really a baseball thing, but rather something for a sport like football or soccer where fans don't have to pay close attention. Unfortunately, the Padres fans did pick it up, at least for the postseason. I had to put up with it when I went to the '84 World Series.

Steelrod
08-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Maybe they were waving goodbye to the 2006 season?

nlentz88
08-08-2006, 10:49 AM
The Sox need to run a promotion called Baseball Fan Etiquette Day. They could offer information via pamphlets at the gate and on the video screen. Some simple guidelines:

- Whenever possible, only leave your seat for food, drink, and/or the restroom in between innings or during breaks in the action, e.g. a pitching change. The same goes for returning to your seat.
- Do not swear in front of small children.
- Do not throw things onto the field. This includes homerun balls hit by the visiting team.
- Do not do the wave. (Ok, this one would be a hard sell)
- Be mindful of other fans' site lines.
- Stand for the national anthem and remove your hat. If you know the words, sing along!

1951Campbell
08-08-2006, 11:00 AM
- Stand for the national anthem and remove your hat. If you know the words, sing along!

I do not sing along because my singing voice so bad that I do not want to disrespect the anthem, or have others think that I am disrespecting the anthem. Honest. :redface:

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I do not sing along because my singing voice so bad that I do not want to disrespect the anthem, or have others think that I am disrespecting the anthem. Honest. :redface:

I couldn't carry a note if there were a handle attached to it. I'm with Campbell - but I will be standing with hat off, no question.

1951Campbell
08-08-2006, 11:21 AM
...but I will be standing with hat off, no question.

That's what I do, it's the least I can do!

CaptainBallz
08-08-2006, 11:36 AM

What if they're not a citizen?

itsnotrequired
08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
What if they're not a citizen?

When in Rome...

slobes
08-08-2006, 11:56 AM
There was actually an article in the Trib today about the wave. They talked with the guy who took 3 entire years to "invent" the thing. 3 years to invent the Wave? Couldn't find anything better to do with your time?

Dick Allen
08-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I understand not liking the wave, I don't do it, and have actually seen it fail numerous times this year, as people in my section try to start it, and nobody pays any attention, but I don't see any reason to yell at the people to sit down, when they will in less than 1 second anyway. That's like the guy behind me telling me to sit the **** down when I stand for the first pitch. The worst is the guys who stand for their beer, that is the guy to be yelling at. or the guy who gets up every 1/2 inning to go to the washroom. The wave is annoying, but it's really not that bad.I really don't care if it's 1 second or 1,000 seconds, I feel that it's an annoyance. And let's face it, the people who do the wave aren't paying attention much to the game and often do other things along with it that are annoying. Like I said, it's personal preference. My preference is that people who do the wave should be sent home.

areilly
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I saw them doing it this weekend at Busch Stadium...

...further proof that even smart fans are stupid in large enough numbers.

:redneck

miker
08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
The Sox need to run a promotion called Baseball Fan Etiquette Day. They could offer information via pamphlets at the gate and on the video screen.
I am with you 100%...but at the same time I realize it probably wouldn't change the behavior of anyone in the stadium that might have watched it.

As a society we've done such a good job at focusing on the rights of the individual that we've totally ignored courtesy toward others. One night I was in the upper deck sitting behind a row of "young adults" and they were acting like six-year-olds with ADHD that had each just finished of a two-liter bottle of Mountain Dew. They not only didn't see any of the game, but stood up during the play and in general were oblivious to anyone around them who actually wanted to see the game. This was the worst example, but behavior like this is becoming more common at the ballpark...at least until the game is out of hand and they head for home and pass out on the train or in the parking lot.