PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America's AL Rankings

MeteorsSox4367
08-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Mods: My apologies if this thread was started elsewhere.

As a baseball geek, I subscribe to the publication Baseball America. The most recent issue hit my mailbox Saturday and in it is the annual feature on the players with the "Best Tools" in each league.

I know I'm looking at this through Sox-colored glasses, but the results of the 25 American League categories are curiously devoid of any of our heroes.

Thome is No. 2 in the Best Power category, as is Iguchi for Best Defensive Second Baseman. Buehrle is second in the Best Pickoff Move category and Jenks is third in the Best Fastball category.

And that's it for the South Siders. There's a disclaimer that reads that all the results were tabulated by polling AL managers.

While I'm sure there are other Sox who deserve to be mentioned in some of the other categories, I think the most glaring omission is in the listing of the top three defensive third baseman in the AL.

In order, Mike Lowell, Eric Chavez and Brandon Inge are listed ahead of Crede. I know I'm biased as a Sox fan, but having watched just about every game this season, I can't believe Crede's not one of the three best defensive third basemen in the AL.

Where the hell is Crede?! Mercy.

FloridaTigers
08-07-2006, 01:12 AM
The AL is loaded with good 3B, offensively or defensively. A-Rod, Glaus, Lowell, Inge, Crede just off the top of my head. But since you're not a Tigers fan, you have to watch all the games to be appreciative of Inge. He's really underrated and is one of top AL third basemen.

StatHead21
08-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Inge is the best 3rd baseman in the league defensivly, followed by Chavez, then Beltre. Crede is a close 4th then Lowell and Glaus. Inge is elite at 3rd, and is a big reason the Tigers are dominating.

batmanZoSo
08-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Mods: My apologies if this thread was started elsewhere.

As a baseball geek, I subscribe to the publication Baseball America. The most recent issue hit my mailbox Saturday and in it is the annual feature on the players with the "Best Tools" in each league.

I know I'm looking at this through Sox-colored glasses, but the results of the 25 American League categories are curiously devoid of any of our heroes.

Thome is No. 2 in the Best Power category, as is Iguchi for Best Defensive Second Baseman. Buehrle is second in the Best Pickoff Move category and Jenks is third in the Best Fastball category.

And that's it for the South Siders. There's a disclaimer that reads that all the results were tabulated by polling AL managers.

While I'm sure there are other Sox who deserve to be mentioned in some of the other categories, I think the most glaring omission is in the listing of the top three defensive third baseman in the AL.

In order, Mike Lowell, Eric Chavez and Brandon Inge are listed ahead of Crede. I know I'm biased as a Sox fan, but having watched just about every game this season, I can't believe Crede's not one of the three best defensive third basemen in the AL.

Where the hell is Crede?! Mercy.

While magazine publications are very important, I'd still rather have the actual best 3rd baseman than the fake one.

MrX
08-12-2006, 03:02 PM
But since you're not a Tigers fan, you have to watch all the games to be appreciative of Inge.
These past 2 games I've really appreciated Inge.

kobo
08-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Inge is the best 3rd baseman in the league defensivly, followed by Chavez, then Beltre. Crede is a close 4th then Lowell and Glaus. Inge is elite at 3rd, and is a big reason the Tigers are dominating.
Yeah, he sure has shown it the last 2 games!!!

MrX
08-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Stathead's spreadsheet just spontaneously combusted

caulfield12
08-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Inge and Guillen have made 36 or 38 errors combined this season.

Inge is very athletic and makes some spectacular plays, but he also makes some wild throws that he shouldn't even attempt.

Fielding percentage wise, Lowell and Chavez have been the best. I would also put Glaus up there, although he hasn't been healthy all season.

Lowell made a pretty darn good play last night, falling into the stands. Not quite Jeter or Uribe-esque, however.

WSox597
08-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Inge is the best 3rd baseman in the league defensivly

The best 3rd baseman in the league gave up the fourth run today. Thank you very much!

Carlos Guillen has 21 errors per Pinella. That means Inge has 15 or so, not exactly Gold Glove territory.

MarySwiss
08-12-2006, 03:51 PM
These past 2 games I've really appreciated Inge.

:yup:

DSpivack
08-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Too lazy to search, but wasn't there a thread on this a couple days ago?

MrX
08-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Check the date of the first post.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Inge and Guillen have made 36 or 38 errors combined this season.

Inge is very athletic and makes some spectacular plays, but he also makes some wild throws that he shouldn't even attempt.

Fielding percentage wise, Lowell and Chavez have been the best. I would also put Glaus up there, although he hasn't been healthy all season.

Lowell made a pretty darn good play last night, falling into the stands. Not quite Jeter or Uribe-esque, however.:hitless And we all know, fielding percentage is the most important thing.

Lowell??? Please.

DSpivack
08-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Check the date of the first post.

Gah, thanks, that was dumb of me.

caulfield12
08-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I know, Royce Clayton might win the Gold Glove based on cleanly fielding balls he could actually reach...however, I've watched Lowell quite a bit this season and he is having a very good season.

Plus, you have the East Coast media bias, we're going to have to win the WS two or three years in a row to win votes like this.

Although Liriano did beat out Schilling in a year where both had pretty similar seasons statistically.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I know, Royce Clayton might win the Gold Glove based on cleanly fielding balls he could actually reach...however, I've watched Lowell quite a bit this season and he is having a very good season.

Plus, you have the East Coast media bias, we're going to have to win the WS two or three years in a row to win votes like this.

Although Liriano did beat out Schilling in a year where both had pretty similar seasons statistically.Lowell has a fraction of the range Crede has. And on pure fielding, I'd rate Crede above Chavez and Glaus.

caulfield12
08-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Don't tell me you think Crede is better than Rolen when he was 100% healthy too?

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Don't tell me you think Crede is better than Rolen when he was 100% healthy too?Rolen (when healthy) is a bit better, but the difference isn't huge.

Tragg
08-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Inge is the best 3rd baseman in the league defensivly, followed by Chavez, then Beltre. Crede is a close 4th then Lowell and Glaus. Inge is elite at 3rd, and is a big reason the Tigers are dominating. On what is this based...just your opinion?
Fair enough as that's all this is about anyway, but Crede's better than Beltre, imo. I saw 2 games at Safeco last weekend and Beltre basically blows.

Lowell has stone feet. Glad Boston has him and we don't.

maurice
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Inge has the tools to make spectacular plays at 3B, but otherwise remains a work-in-progress.

It's amazing how far ARod's defense has fallen off. Playing in NY has gotten into his head.