PDA

View Full Version : Good math to make us smile

DumpJerry
08-07-2006, 12:17 AM
If the Sox continue winning 2 of every 3 (.667), they will win 100 games-tying the team record for wins. I think it is clear that the AL Wild Card team will need at least 100 wins and I think the Sox can do better than 2 of 3 for the remaining games this season.

The NL WC team, OTOH, will need only 81 wins to get there. That is what happens when all the talent goes to one league.

Chips
08-07-2006, 12:22 AM
If the Sox continue winning 2 of every 3 (.667), they will win 100 games-tying the team record for wins. I think it is clear that the AL Wild Card team will need at least 100 wins and I think the Sox can do better than 2 of 3 for the remaining games this season.

The NL WC team, OTOH, will need only 81 wins to get there. That is what happens when all the talent goes to one league.

Time to change your sig then, huh?

I see no reason why we can't win every series here on out. :D:

DumpJerry
08-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Time to change your sig then, huh?

I see no reason why we can't win every series here on out. :D:
They have not earned it yet. They could have won 2 or even all 3 of the games they lost on this road trip.

I'm an adovcate of though love.

The Dude
08-07-2006, 12:31 AM

I'd love 100 W's and love this idea!:thumbsup:

rowand33
08-07-2006, 12:38 AM
I dunno if it will take 100 wins to win the wild card.

The Tigers have to slump at some point (it starts august 11th), the Tigers are a good team, but 110 wins? I dunno about that. The Twins aren't going to get 22 hits every night. and I think the red sox may be starting their swoon as we speak.

now, I think it's very possible that the wild card winner will have to win about 97 game this year, but to say that the wild card team will need at least 100 to make the playoffs just doesn't sit well with me

slobes
08-07-2006, 12:39 AM

And it's the next couple of weeks that will show us if the Sox can keep that pace of winning 2 out of every 3. We're playing the Yanks, Twins, and Tigers in the next several series. If we survive August playing at that .667 clip, I think we'll win the WC for sure.

jabrch
08-07-2006, 12:57 AM
And it's the next couple of weeks that will show us if the Sox can keep that pace of winning 2 out of every 3. We're playing the Yanks, Twins, and Tigers in the next several series. If we survive August playing at that .667 clip, I think we'll win the WC for sure.

If we go .666 in August, we will be contending for the division as well.

PKalltheway
08-07-2006, 01:06 AM
100 wins to win the AL wild card? I don't know about that. I think it will take about 95-98 wins to win the AL wild card, which the White Sox can and will do.

MrRoboto83
08-07-2006, 01:11 AM
I dunno if it will take 100 wins to win the wild card.

The Tigers have to slump at some point (it starts august 11th), the Tigers are a good team, but 110 wins? I dunno about that.

The Tigers could turn out to be like the 2001 Seattle Mariners who won 116 games and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

PKalltheway
08-07-2006, 01:17 AM
The Tigers could turn out to be like the 2001 Seattle Mariners who won 116 games and lost in the first round of the playoffs.
The Mariners actually made it past the first round that year...barely. They got destroyed in the ALCS though. I see your point though, and I most certainly agree! There's no way in hell Detroit can play at this pace through the rest of the year and throughout the postseason. They'll fizzle out in the playoffs.

cgaudin
08-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Out of the top four teams in the AL, the Tigers will have the toughest schedule in August, by far. They host Minnesota for 3, then go to Chicago for 3, then go to Boston for 3, then host Texas (no pushover) for 4, then host Chicago for 4, then go to Cleveland for 3, and finish the month in New York with 3. If they end up the month with a lead over the Sox greater than 5 games, then the Sox either played poorly or the Tigers did not cool off. Either way, the race in the central would be all but over. If the Tigers get through that schedule, they deserve the division, cause that's a tall order.

buehrle4cy05
08-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Out of the top four teams in the AL, the Tigers will have the toughest schedule in August, by far. They host Minnesota for 3, then go to Chicago for 3, then go to Boston for 3, then host Texas (no pushover) for 4, then host Chicago for 4, then go to Cleveland for 3, and finish the month in New York with 3. If they end up the month with a lead over the Sox greater than 5 games, then the Sox either played poorly or the Tigers did not cool off. Either way, the race in the central would be all but over. If the Tigers get through that schedule, they deserve the division, cause that's a tall order.

That's tough, except for the part in bold. If Eric Wedge continues to be a dumbass and has Fausto Carmona closing those games, there's 3 come-from-behind wins in the 9th.

MrRoboto83
08-07-2006, 01:45 AM
The Mariners actually made it past the first round that year...barely. They got destroyed in the ALCS though. I see your point though, and I most certainly agree! There's no way in hell Detroit can play at this pace through the rest of the year and throughout the postseason. They'll fizzle out in the playoffs.

My bad, I remember them getting killed by the Yankees, I just forgot it was in the ALCS. Still though to win 116 games and not at least get to the World Series is not good. I could totally see the Tigers doing this.

DumpJerry
08-07-2006, 08:06 AM
I searched the official rule book for MLB and could not locate the rule which states that all hot teams must have a swoon at some point during the season. Maybe Detroit had their swoon already back in April when we swept them and Leyland threw a fit over their play thus far at that point during the season.

The team that mystifies me is the Yankees. They have no pitching!

BTW, I hate the Tribe more now than I did at any time last year. They got swept by Detroit, the final game was 1-0. I know the Tribe has no arms, but their bats are very potent....***??????

I still think it will take quite a few victories to make the AL WC. If only the Sox were in the AL West.....

sox1970
08-07-2006, 08:23 AM
I'll stick with 97 wins to get the wildcard.

4 wins per week for 8 weeks = 97 wins.

White Sox Randy
08-07-2006, 08:40 AM
The Sox can continue to win 2 of 3 as long as they coninue to play Balt., K.C. and a slumping Toronto team.

When they start winning 2 of 3 form New York, Boston, Detroit AND Minnesota, then the playoffs will happen - but not without that.

The Sox September schedule is tough.

samram
08-07-2006, 10:17 AM
It probably won't take 100 wins to get the WC. The teams in the AL (other than the Sox) have been playing at a 100 (or close) win pace for far too long for all of them to keep it up. NY and Boston have at least 9 (maybe more) games left against one another, so one of them won't win 100. I don't think the Twins are a 100 win team. I say 96-98 gets it done. The Sox are 65-44 now. Therefore, 33-20 gets the WC at least- that's about .624 baseball- they can do that if they play to their capability.

Dan H
08-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I find it highly unlikely that the Sox will win the division even if the Tigers cool off. I'd feel a lot better if we went through the rotation a couple times with a bunch of quality starts. One more prolonged slump and the White Sox are finished.

downstairs
08-07-2006, 10:51 AM
I searched the official rule book for MLB and could not locate the rule which states that all hot teams must have a swoon at some point during the season. Maybe Detroit had their swoon already back in April when we swept them and Leyland threw a fit over their play thus far at that point during the season.

They don't... but when you have a bunch of teams in the hunt, and they all have to play each other... you're just not going to have every team remain hot.

Ol' No. 2
08-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I find it highly unlikely that the Sox will win the division even if the Tigers cool off. I'd feel a lot better if we went through the rotation a couple times with a bunch of quality starts. One more prolonged slump and the White Sox are finished.At this point, even .500 gets the Tigers to 100 wins. That 2-week slump really killed the Sox chances.

The Tigers wouldn't just have to cool off - they'd have to pretty much fall apart, and they seem to be catching every break. They deserved to lose 2 of 3 this weekend in Cleveland, but dumbass Wedge continued to trot out Carmona and throw games away. Of course, luck has a way of turning, so you never know.

Flight #24
08-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Sox need to maintain the 2/3 pace they had on the trip. The real problem is that they didn't build up any cushion against the weaker teams, which means they now can't afford to go say .500 against the stronger teams.

That said, IMO the division is out of reach. Not impossible, but I don't see it happening. To me, the key will be the remaining H2H games against the Twins. I see the BloSox slowly fading behind the Spankees/Sox/Twinks and home in October.

Foulke You
08-07-2006, 11:05 AM
The AL Wild Card race is so tough this year, it would not surprise me if the White Sox needed 1 extra game to get in this year. I don't think Boston and Minnesota will completely fade out of the wild card race. I have a feeling this is going to be tight and give us a heart attack or as Hawk would say "tight sphincters" all the way til the end of the season. However, I think we have the talent to be there at the end. I like our chances with the roster we have.

I want Mags back
08-07-2006, 11:32 AM
I say we trade our entire team with the Cubs. and then we all become Cub fans. It would be so much easier in the NL

BNLSox
08-07-2006, 11:53 AM
The Wildcard wins needed # will come down folks. There will be very few times for the remainder of the season where the four teams (MIN, Sox, BOS, NYY) competing in the WC race won't be playing each other or another contender (OAK, LAA, TEX, DET and to a lesser extent TOR).

When they play each other, as we all know, only one team can win, so we'll have a lot less of these we win but so does everyone else days.

WC winner may win 97-100 games as I believe thats where we'll be at the end of the season, but the team that ends up 2nd in the race will only have 92-93 wins... So I say it'll only take 94 wins, but we'll have more than that.

nasox
08-07-2006, 12:49 PM
It probably won't take 100 wins to get the WC. The teams in the AL (other than the Sox) have been playing at a 100 (or close) win pace for far too long for all of them to keep it up. NY and Boston have at least 9 (maybe more) games left against one another, so one of them won't win 100. I don't think the Twins are a 100 win team. I say 96-98 gets it done. The Sox are 65-44 now. Therefore, 33-20 gets the WC at least- that's about .624 baseball- they can do that if they play to their capability.

Exactly. Yankees and Red Sox beat each other up, we take care of business with the other teams, especially Twins and there we go, Wild Card.