PDA

View Full Version : BBTN's Top Three Web Gems by Franchise

SoxandtheCityTee
08-06-2006, 07:05 PM
The boys in Bristol are going to run these down, one team per night. They started tonight with the Phillies:

No. 3. A catch by Sarge Sr. at the wall in the 1983 World Series.
No. 2. Mickey Morandini's unassisted triple play (tagging out a skinny Bonds).
No. 1. Rowand's nosebreaking catch.

Tomorrow night: the Braves.

Think Gooch's airborne catch and throw will make the top three for the Sox?

PKalltheway
08-06-2006, 07:26 PM
The boys in Bristol are going to run these down, one team per night. They started tonight with the Phillies:

Tomorrow night: the Braves.

Think Gooch's airborne catch and throw will make the top three for the Sox?
Rowand's nosebreaking catch was great, but my number one Web Gem for the Phillies would have to be the catch Pete Rose made in Game 6 of the 1980 World Series. Bob Boone went back to try to catch the ball in foul territory, dropped it, and Rose was right behind him to catch the ball.

As far as great plays go for the White Sox, I know Carlton Fisk's unassissted double play at home plate against then Yankees should be one, as well as Juan Uribe diving into the stands to make a catch in the World Series.

StillMissOzzie
08-06-2006, 09:18 PM
It stinks that they limit the web gems to three. A few more that I think merit some consideration:

1) Iguchi's diving/lunging throw to first, this year.
2) Lance Johnson's diving catch to preserve Wilson Alvarez' no-hitter vs. Baltimore.

SMO
:gulp:

Brian26
08-06-2006, 09:24 PM
It stinks that they limit the web gems to three. A few more that I think merit some consideration:

1) Iguchi's diving/lunging throw to first, this year.
2) Lance Johnson's diving catch to preserve Wilson Alvarez' no-hitter vs. Baltimore.

SMO

Are they rating these based on the context of their importance or on sheer greatness? Uribe's catch would be up there is you consider it as the next-to-final out to clinching the World Series. However, for just two spectacular plays (that happened to be in a completely unspectacular era of Sox baseball), I'd have to go with:

- Daryl Boston flying into the left field stands in foul territory at Old Comiskey to catch a ball (either '87 or '88).

- Ivan Calderon scaling the leftfield wall at old Tiger Stadium and actually standing on top of it to rob a home run.

Brian26
08-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Rowand's nosebreaking catch was great, but my number one Web Gem for the Phillies would have to be the catch Pete Rose made in Game 6 of the 1980 World Series. Bob Boone went back to try to catch the ball in foul territory, dropped it, and Rose was right behind him to catch the ball.

The Rose/Boone catch was my pick. It also sent a great message to little kids about backing each other up and playing hard all the time.

RadioheadRocks
08-06-2006, 09:25 PM

Cool, more evidence for the hearing!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

RadioheadRocks
08-06-2006, 09:29 PM
- Daryl Boston flying into the left field stands in foul territory at Old Comiskey to catch a ball (either '87 or '88).

I'm thinking it was either 1985 or 86 when that occurred (since the Sox were still wearing the "finalist" uniforms). Naked Gun fans will remember seeing this as one of the "real" highlights shown on the Jumbo-Tron during the game.

Milw
08-06-2006, 10:44 PM
They're not the most stunningly spectacular plays ever made, but when I think of great defensive plays in White Sox history, the first thing that comes to mind is Crede's diving stops in Game 1 of the WS.

SOXintheBURGH
08-06-2006, 10:55 PM
These have to be from the ESPN era then exclusively, right?

SoxandtheCityTee
08-07-2006, 07:15 AM

Presumably. I didn't hear them say so, but their use of the term "Web Gems" implies it.

Madvora
08-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Here's the link showing the schedule of teams. The Sox are Thursday 8/10.

Anyone know if they have clips of this out there anywhere? That's what I thought this link was, but I guess not. I couldn't bear to actually sit through an episode of this show, but I do want to see these clips.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=webgems

Sunday, Aug. 6 - Phillies
Monday, Aug. 7 - Braves
Tuesday, Aug. 8 - Nationals
Wednesday, Aug. 9 - Reds
Thursday, Aug. 10 - White Sox
Friday, Aug. 11 - Astros
Saturday, Aug. 12 - Rockies
Sunday, Aug. 13 - Dodgers
Monday, Aug. 14 - Padres
Tuesday, Aug. 15 - Devil Rays
Wednesday, Aug. 16 - Twins
Thursday, Aug. 17 - Tigers
Friday, Aug. 18 - Marlins
Saturday, Aug. 19 - Cubs

batmanZoSo
08-07-2006, 08:56 AM

As far as great plays go for the White Sox, I know Carlton Fisk's unassissted double play at home plate against then Yankees should be one, as well as Juan Uribe diving into the stands to make a catch in the World Series.

If Uribe's not on there, I'll probably shoot the TV.

34rancher
08-07-2006, 10:11 AM
If Uribe's not on there, I'll probably shoot the TV.
He won't be, he did not play for an East Coast Team...

3. Fisk
2. Rowand's first catch in Yankee Stadium
1. Rowan'd other catch in Yankee Stadium

skottyj242
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking it was either 1985 or 86 when that occurred (since the Sox were still wearing the "finalist" uniforms). Naked Gun fans will remember seeing this as one of the "real" highlights shown on the Jumbo-Tron during the game.

What do you mean "real"? You're telling me that guys head falling off wasn't real?

CaptainBallz
08-07-2006, 03:21 PM
What do you mean "real"? You're telling me that guys head falling off wasn't real?

Whichever team it was where the lions attacked the runner at second should DEFINITELY be on there.:D:

Max Power
08-07-2006, 04:42 PM

I don't think so. The commercials show Willie Mays' over the shoulder catch. I assume anything they have film of is eligible.

StatHead21
08-07-2006, 06:38 PM
!. Uribe diving into the stands in the World Series.(Was much better than Jeter's overrated play, he caught it in fair territory.)
2. Gooch
3. Rowand in Yankee Stadium last season, just about every catch he made.

Those are recent ones.

areilly
08-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I guess this goes just by sheer awesomeness, since there wasn't a whole lot on the line when Rowand broke his nose in Philly. Off the top of my head, I'm going with:

- Uribe diving into the stands
- Fisk's unassisted double play
- Gooch's Superman impression

But again, my candidate list is limited.

Deebs14
08-08-2006, 12:24 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2004/09/29/WN65TnmC.jpg

"How about that!"

SoxandtheCityTee
08-08-2006, 11:39 PM
No. 3. Vlad throws out Todd Hundley at home from the right corner warning track (1997). Hundley knocks the catcher (Fletcher?) over but is out.

No. 2. Ryan Zimmerman (3B) makes a diving over-the-shoulder catch fully extended and with his back to the plate (2006).

No. 1. Rondell White dives headlong into the bottom of the wall to make the catch (1996).

PKalltheway
08-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Here they are! The White Sox top three Web Gems of all time, as told by ESPN:

Carlton Fisk's unassisted double play at Yankee Stadium in 1985
Tadahito Iguchi's AMAZING throw against Toronto earlier this year
Juan Uribe's diving catch into the stands during Game 4 of the World Series.It feels weird saying this, but ESPN (for once) did a great job in selecting the top three for the White Sox in my opinion!:D:

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Fisk's double play was not "unassisted." Luis Salazar threw to Ozzie who relayed to Fisk, each would be credited with an assist for each out.

It was still a hell of a web gem, however.

PKalltheway
08-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Fisk's double play was not "unassisted." Luis Salazar threw to Ozzie who relayed to Fisk, each would be credited with an assist for each out.

It was still a hell of a web gem, however.
Oops, sorry.:redface:

TDog
08-11-2006, 04:09 AM
Here they are! The White Sox top three Web Gems of all time, as told by ESPN:

Carlton Fisk's unassisted double play at Yankee Stadium in 1985
Tadahito Iguchi's AMAZING throw against Toronto earlier this year
Juan Uribe's diving catch into the stands during Game 4 of the World Series.It feels weird saying this, but ESPN (for once) did a great job in selecting the top three for the White Sox in my opinion!:D:

Those would have been the three I would have picked, although Uribe's catch in the stands was punctuated by his play to get the next out, the final out of 2005. I heard Jon Miller describe on ESPN radio and didn't see them until much later, but there was no question in my mind that Uribe took over that inning. It was an important inning.

Fisk's double play wasn't unassisted. He got the last two outs, but there was an assist from the outfield, and a cutoff man if I recall. I don't remember who. I can't find it in the Baseball Retrosheet.

(Edit: My apologies for missing the Nellie Fox post.)

There were Ken Berry plays in center field in the 1960s that might have been worthy. Lip probably remembers watching the game where Berry actually hurdled the center field fence to catch ball for an out. I have only seen it on film.

Grzegorz
08-11-2006, 05:02 AM
There were Ken Berry plays in center field in the 1960s that might have been worthy. Lip probably remembers watching the game where Berry actually hurdled the center field fence to catch ball for an out. I have only seen it on film.

I'd love to see that film; my dad always talked about how good Berry and Landis were as defensive outfielders.

Viva Medias B's
08-11-2006, 08:15 AM
An honorable mention should go to the catch Ivan Calderon made in Detroit in 1987 (IIRC). He climbed the left field wall at Tiger Stadium and robbed the Tigers of a home run.