PDA

View Full Version : Who to pull for in Det/Minn series?

gbergman
08-06-2006, 05:41 PM
So who should we pull for monday thru wendsday when Minnesota visits Detroit?
On one hand if we want to get back into the division race we need Detroit to start dropping series and the Sox continue to win series.

On the other hand if we are unable to get back into the division race, which still is very possible to get back in, Minnesota needs to start losing. Minnesota and Boston are both .5 games back of us right now in the wildcard chase at 65-45.

Personelly i'd love to see Minnesota take this series but whats your opinion?

MarySwiss
08-06-2006, 05:42 PM
So who should we pull for monday thru wendsday when Minnesota visits Detroit?
On one hand if we want to get back into the division race we need Detroit to start dropping series and the Sox continue to win series.

On the other hand if we are unable to get back into the division race, which still is very possible, Minnesota needs to start losing. Minnesota and Boston are both .5 games back of us right now in the wildcard chase at 65-45.

Personelly i'd love to see Minnesota take this series but whats your opinion?

Makes me sick to say so, but I'm rooting for Minn. Our first priority needs to remain catching the Kittycats.

chisoxmike
08-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Hopefully Minnesota shows up.

If the Sox win Monday and the Tigers lose, we only gain 1/2 game right?

MarySwiss
08-06-2006, 05:47 PM

Why wouldn't it be a full game? I know it's a make-up, but it's still a game. :?:

batmanZoSo
08-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Twins sweep.

MadetoOrta
08-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Twins sweep.

I've gotta agree. If this becomes a 3 team race for the division and a 4 team race for the WC, the Sox will win the Central.

buehrle4cy05
08-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Damn it! I accidently clicked on Detroit.:angry:

PAPChiSox729
08-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Damn it! I accidently clicked on Detroit.:angry:

Hey, me too! I know it's a big lead and all but I still really want the division!

spiffie
08-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I voted for Detroit. Not because I want the Wild Card, but because I don't want to see Minnesota get the Wild Card. I think that we are about ready to lay a whipping on Detroit in these coming 2 months. I think that things are about ready to break against Detroit finally, and that when they do we will be there to make a run. But the last thing I want to see is Minnesota sneak in behind us and get the WC. Because the only team who worries me in the playoffs is Minnesota. Everyone here knows that the most important thing in the playoffs is pitching, and right now the team that has the scariest pitching in a playoff rotation is the Twins. So go Detroit, have your last few days of glory, and then starting at the end of this week the march of the White Sox begins.

batmanZoSo
08-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey, me too! I know it's a big lead and all but I still really want the division!

There's still a lot of time left and we're still easily within striking distance with a hot run and a Tigers slump. On top of that, you always want to take care of your own business, not rely on Boston or New York or these other divisions. Number one goal is always the division and it can still be done, so right now that's what we're shooting for...

Lip Man 1
08-06-2006, 09:50 PM
I think the odds of catching Detroit are extremely small now... however the odds of locking up a wild card berth and getting to the post-season are excellent.

It's a three team race right now, everything that can possibly be done to cut that down to a two team or just the Sox, needs to be done.

Therefore you root for a Detroit sweep to give the Sox some breathing room in the wild card race.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
08-06-2006, 10:15 PM

Nope, gain a game on Detroit and tread water with Minnesota.

SMO
:gulp:

slavko
08-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Pulling for beanball war and bench-clearing brawl followed by full page of suspensions.

Chisox003
08-07-2006, 01:19 AM
I want the division. Seriously.

Go Twins.

ChiSoxGirl
08-07-2006, 01:23 AM
I want that division. Go Twins.

realflava23
08-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Twins.

dcb56
08-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Twins have Liriano and Santana going against the Tigers, so if the Sox take care of their business they stand a good chance of chipping away at the Tigers lead. Go Twins!

PKalltheway
08-07-2006, 01:41 AM
I think the odds of catching Detroit are extremely small now... however the odds of locking up a wild card berth and getting to the post-season are excellent.

It's a three team race right now, everything that can possibly be done to cut that down to a two team or just the Sox, needs to be done.

Therefore you root for a Detroit sweep to give the Sox some breathing room in the wild card race.

Lip
I agree. To hell with the Twins. **** the Twins. If the Tigers sweep the series and we sweep LA, we'll have some more breathing room for the Wild Card.

ma-gaga
08-07-2006, 01:55 AM
I maintain, you want the team AHEAD of you to lose.

:cool:

dcb56
08-07-2006, 01:57 AM
I agree. To hell with the Twins. **** the Twins. If the Tigers sweep the series and we sweep LA, we'll have some more breathing room for the Wild Card.

No, the Sox won't, becuase Boston gets to feast on the Royals. What are the odds the Carmines lose that series?

Bottom line is the Sox need to take care of their own business, and as for what is out of their control the best scenario is to have the Tigers regardless the opponent. If a Twins sweep helps start bring the Tigers back to the pack and makes the division a bit tighter, it will only help the Sox odds of making the postseason. Assuming the Sox take care of their own business.

CLR01
08-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Minnesota all the way. I want the Sox to catch the tiggers and I don't see the Twins hanging around for the next 2 months.

voodoochile
08-07-2006, 08:58 AM
I maintain, you want the team AHEAD of you to lose.

:cool:

Beware of smiling Twins Trolls. :wink:

Not rooting for either team. Just want more Sox wins. If it matters, then a Twinkie sweep and a Sox sweep gets the Sox to within 6 of first. I say that sounds better than anything right now, but the Sox just need to TCOB and let the chips fall where they may.

First order of business is a tough Angels game and then it's time to get revenge on the Yankees...

BigPapaPump
08-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Where is everyone getting this magical drink that makes you believe the Sox still have a chance at the division? Id like some of that! In the mean time I want to see some cushion between us and the Twins.

Flight #24
08-07-2006, 11:43 AM

Lip

I think ON2 posted this in another thread, but the Tiggers dropping to a .500 pace still gets them 100 wins. It's late enough in the season now that barring a real collapse, the division isn't a realistic goal. Therefore I root for a Tiggers sweep and the Sox to be 3.5 up on the Twinks.

Now the team should be focusing on winning the division, or more specifically, on winning each game they play. But from the standpoint of "who else do you root for", it's whoever's playing the Twinks & BloSox.

TwinKess
08-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Twins :D:

Fenway
08-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Right now the Twins can hurt the White Sox more than the Tigers.

You can't win the WC if you #3 in the division.

In Boston we pulling for the White Sox to sweep New York even though Chicago is also a threat to us.

Everybody would be a lot happier if is the Yankees and Twins on the outside looking in when the playoffs start. Nobody wants to face the Twins in a 5 game series right now.

Scottiehaswheels
08-07-2006, 12:53 PM
In Boston we pulling for the White Sox to sweep New York even though Chicago is also a threat to us.

Shocker!!!! You guys are ALWAYS pulling for NY to lose... Kinda like some Sox fans with the Cubs... Of course you want a sweep LOL

Shift
08-07-2006, 12:54 PM
The chances of a wildcard berth are much greater. This will only help.

As an aside, I'd love to see the Tigers in the playoffs.

Johnny Mostil
08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Beware of smiling Twins Trolls. :wink:

Not rooting for either team. Just want more Sox wins. If it matters, then a Twinkie sweep and a Sox sweep gets the Sox to within 6 of first. I say that sounds better than anything right now, but the Sox just need to TCOB and let the chips fall where they may.

First order of business is a tough Angels game and then it's time to get revenge on the Yankees...

Yep. And if the Sox can't TCOB, then it doesn't matter what the Twinkies or Tiggers do . . .

rowand33
08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
at least here's a silver lining on whoever wins the series. if the twins win, it helps with the division. if the tigers win, it helps with the WC.

that being said... I'm kinda pulling for the Tigers.

the tigers need to play .500 ball to win 100 games... we pissed away the division with that huge slump coming out of the break.

I just want to make the playoffs. we'll prove we're better than the tigers when we sweep them in the ALCS.

INSox56
08-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Lip

Sad but true guys. I'd rather rely on our playing better to catch the Tigers, and have Minnesota losing three games (potentially) off us. If Minnesota loses three games on us, that means we sweep the spanks, thus meaning we'd then have a lead on both for the WC...

jenn2080
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
no brainer. go joe mauer and the twins. the more detroit loses and we win we are that much closer to the division.

Green
08-07-2006, 03:35 PM
I'll be rooting for the Twins this weekend. :(:

Tiger23
08-07-2006, 08:08 PM
I voted for Detroit :smile: .

Without reading the entire thread, the good news for both the Tigers and the White Sox is that Liriano is not looking good right now. 4-1 Tigers in the 4th, and they have had scoring opportunities in every inning. His run might be over.

Dibbs
08-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Definately Tigers....I think that is a no brainer.

sox1970
08-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Not that scoreboard watching effects the outcome of the game, but I'm happy to see the Tigers beat the Twins tonight.

It's a three horse race for the wildcard. 52 games to go. The Sox just have to win as many as possible and the wildcard or division will take care of itself.

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2006, 01:35 AM
I'm not "rooting" for either team, just watching with interest. But seriously, the chances of the Sox catching Detroit for the division are getting awfully small. I'm no fan of the wildcard, but seriously, that's what the Sox are playing for now.

Grzegorz
08-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Tigers...

The division is lost, what is needed is breathing room between the White Sox and the other teams fighting for a wild card spot. If the White Sox have to start hopping teams it will make getting to the playoffs very difficult this year.

DumpJerry
08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Every year I want the Sox to win the Division and World Series-something that has happened only once in my 44 years. Well, ok, 35 years since there were divisions before 1969.

Howefer, I live in reality. A 10 game lead this late in the season is all but a lock. Really. I voted Detroit because the Twins must be disposed of. Make the WC race between us and whomever happens to be in second in the AL East at the moment. A two team race is easier to manage.

With Liriano on the shelf, the Twins are pretty much a one pitcher team (Santana).

INSox56
08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Every year I want the Sox to win the Division and World Series-something that has happened only once in my 44 years. Well, ok, 35 years since there were divisions before 1969.

Howefer, I live in reality. A 10 game lead this late in the season is all but a lock. Really. I voted Detroit because the Twins must be disposed of. Make the WC race between us and whomever happens to be in second in the AL East at the moment. A two team race is easier to manage.

With Liriano on the shelf, the Twins are pretty much a one pitcher team (Santana).

Carlos Silva is doing well lately, come on...

MarySwiss
08-08-2006, 11:43 AM

I'm not giving up on the division, but I must admit that not dropping any money on the Sox winning the AL Central is looking like it may turn out to have been a wise move on my part. And I've still got my ALCS and WS bets to collect on. :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
08-08-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm pulling for Detroit. I think the Sox match up better with the Tigers than with the Twins head-to-head. The Sox can make up a lot of ground by beating the Tigers and can finish off the Twins by beating them. Also, I prefer a two-team race for the Central and want the Twins vanquished from the Wild Card race.

Nevertheless, I want the Tigers-Twins games all to go 27 innings in which each team completely destroys the other's bullpen.

No matter what happens, the Sox need to win.

FloridaTigers
08-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Exactly. The last poster hit the nail on the head. The Sox need to win. You Sox fans want the division, right? That window is narrowly closing. How will "the rest take care of itself" if you don't even win in the first place?

I voted Detroit of course. But honestly, I want the White Sox to win the WC. I don't want two AL East teams in the post-season. Cut down on ESPN's fantasy.