PDA

View Full Version : Harry Caray Documentary

Lip Man 1
08-06-2006, 12:56 PM
As you know I've contributed some of my historical audio and video for this documentary.

I just heard from the producer of it, (Noel Gimble) and here is the release date of the one hour version of the show:

PBS is airing 8PM on Sept 14th.

I have seen a six minute clip of the final product and from it, it looks like Harry's time with the Sox will be given it's due. I've seen TV footage from his days at old Comiskey Park as well as footage of the South Side Hitmen playing. (Some of which I contributed...)

I hope that Noel was able to use my home movies from June 1972, when Harry was broadcasting from the center field bleachers vs. the Yankees.

We'll see.

Anyway I'll be doing an interview with Noel for WSI and it should be out around the time of the release.

I'll use it as a 'Lip Service' column so it can be published immediately.

Lip

jamokes
08-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Lip,

This should be an interesting show....let's hope they just don't go too strong on the Cub days.

Wsoxmike59
08-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Lip did you ever see the documentary that was done with Bob Costas? It was called "When Harry Met Baseball"

P.S. I was at that Yankee game in '72 with my father and a couple friends. My dad was on vac and the Sox played day games every Wednesday during the '72 season, so my dad took us to the Sox game and we got to see Dick Allen hit his legendary CF Bleacher shot. A day I'll never forget.

Also my future wife was at the same game with her father and sister and they were sitting in the CF bleachers that day! I was sitting in the RF Upper Deck.

Viva Medias B's
08-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Lip,

This should be an interesting show....let's hope they just don't go too strong on the Cub days.

They should probably focus on Caray's days in St. Louis. Not to make this thread controversial, but how will the documentary handle why Harry left St. Louis?

Lip Man 1
08-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Viva:

From what Noel told me they are going to talk about Harry's time in St. Louis both good and bad. I know he wanted to get an interview with Busch but was turned down.

I also know (because I gave him the contact info) that Noel spoke with both Lorn Brown and J.C. Martin about working with Harry. I think he also spoke with Jimmy Piersall too.

WSoxMike 59:

That Allen game was August 23, 1972. I was sitting about ten feet from where Allen's blast landed. I thought Harry was going to have a stroke right then and there.

By the way you can hear the actual play by play of that show in the Audio Memories section of WSI. It's under the heading Sox of the Wild 70's.

Lip

DickAllen72
08-06-2006, 10:42 PM
That Allen game was August 23, 1972. I was sitting about ten feet from where Allen's blast landed. I thought Harry was going to have a stroke right then and there.
Lip

I was sitting out there in the CF bleachers for that game too. However, about an inning before Allen's blast, I snuck into box seats in the upper deck behind home plate and saw it from there. I remember saying to myself, "He hit it right were I was!"

Ahhh memories! :smile:

STRETCH!!!
08-06-2006, 11:27 PM
This could be a great documentary. Enough time has passed since Harry's passing that it affords an opportunity to provide a thoughtful perspective. IMO there was no better broadcaster in the game .... ever. He made the game more fun to listen to and the team more fun to follow. He is a key reason why I started following the Sox in the 70s and got hooked on the team.

But, from what I've read, he did have some dark qualities. In short, he was a complicated person and not the just grandfatherly cartoonish character that Cub fans in particular want to portray.

WGN and the Cubs certainly provided him the national audiance with the advent of the cable and the superstation in the early 80s. It still hurts to have lost him to the Cubs.

jabrch
08-06-2006, 11:34 PM
IMO there was no better broadcaster in the game .... ever.

WHAT?

DickAllen72
08-06-2006, 11:58 PM
When Harry was in his prime there was nobody better at calling a game on the radio.

Harry & Jimmy together doing Sox games on TV was priceless.

In his later years doing the Cubs games, he sucked.

StockdaleForVeep
08-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Is it touching on any of the controversey lately on that book that came out on him?

Fenway
08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
first time I ever heard Caray was Game 1 of the 67 World Series on a radio at Fenway and wondering "who the hell is this yahoo?".....

Harry and Jimmy were never dull. :smile:

Looking forward to seeing this

Lip Man 1
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Stockdale:

I gave Noel my contact information for Milo Hamilton but I don't know if he reached him or not.

Again from everything I have been told and everything that I've seen so far (which admitedly hasn't been a lot) this documentary will look at Harry's life completely, the good and bad.

Lip