PDA

View Full Version : How huge is the rest of this month?

OrlandoPaleHose
08-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Monsterous to say the least...

these next three weeks could more than likely end up being the defining stretch of the season

1 more today going for the sweep against Tor
1 against the Angles

and then:

3 vs NYY
3 vs Det
4 vs KC
3 @ Min
4 @ Det
3 vs Min
3 vs TB

while I would love to see the Sox end the month with a 27 game win streak, it's probably a tad unreasonable to ask for MLB history right now...

I'm really hoping for at the absolute worst being 3 back of Detroit once Sept 1 hits, but wouldn't be surprised to be tied or possibly a game up... assuming the pitching hiccup has righted itself and everyone stays the course. What do you guys think is reasonable for the rest of this month? Where do you see the Sox at the end of the month? After years of being somewhere between pessimist and realist (more towards the pessimist side) its kinda funny to be a wide eyed optimist wearing the rose colored Sox glasses

jabrch
08-06-2006, 12:44 PM
If we can win 2 of 3 in each series, I'd be THRILLED.

cgaudin
08-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Given the strength of schedule, and the recent Sox pitching and hitting trends, I think the Sox will pick up about half their deficit to the Tigers. They should be about 3 to 4 games down from the division lead. But I believe that depends more on the Tigers than it does the Sox. They ARE in the driver's seat, after all.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Sox are 65-43 with 28 to play before Labor Day. If they win every three-game series, beat LAA tomorrow and split both four-game series, they take the field at Fenway on September 4 at 82-54. In which case, I like our chances.

Myself, I'd trade one or two series wins for more wins against Detroit head-to-head. But maybe I'll be saying something similar about the Twins two weeks from now. Can't control what those two do (though I treasure the days they play each other). Just take our time getting to 60 losses. September this year may produce a multi-team playoff run for the ages.

batmanZoSo
08-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Gotta pick up at least 2 games in 6 vs. Detroit by winning both series. Aside from that, I like the way things are looking now. This team is getting more confident and solid every day and the pitching looks strong. This is the month to do it.

chisoxmike
08-07-2006, 12:35 AM
This is the do or die month in my opinion. We'll know the fate of the team the night of August 31.

They can't fall asleep against the Royals and Devil Rays AT HOME, and they must fight the good fight against the Tigers. The Tigers didn't really dominate the Sox last month in Detriot so I'm hoping we can take both series. The series against the Twins are the ones I'm most worried about, the Twins always show up against us and seem to always want to beat us more than anybody. It's going to be an interesting month, hopefully the pitching will FINALLY come around and be the staff it was built up to be in the spring.

All I can ask is to make the playoffs, either taking the divison, or winning the wild card, I don't care anymore. If they can pull it out, I'll take our chances...

GO SOX!

pudge
08-07-2006, 01:54 AM
I'm really hoping for at the absolute worst being 3 back of Detroit once Sept 1 hits, but wouldn't be surprised to be tied or possibly a game up...

May I have a little of what you're smoking??

Anyone who "wouldn't be surprised" to see a team wipe away a nine-game hole in 23 games needs to come down to earth and join the rest of humanity.

Dan H
08-07-2006, 03:54 AM

Anyone who "wouldn't be surprised" to see a team wipe away a nine-game hole in 23 games needs to come down to earth and join the rest of humanity.

I agree. The Sox just had a 6-3 road trip and they gained nothing.

The next three weeks determines the season. The Sox need to beat the contenders and pound on the little guys. The division no longer looks winnable. We keep waiting for Detroit to fade and it just doesn't happen. There is no way they can have another slump. July put them in a hole divison-wise and made the wild card a real race. The pitching is still suspect.

StockdaleForVeep
08-07-2006, 06:52 AM
It is as big as any month really, and all we need to do is what adrian said

http://i.1asphost.com/RockyFan/shireTHEN.JPG
"win!"

sox1970
08-07-2006, 07:36 AM
I agree the next few weeks are huge, particularly this homestand.

1 vs Ana 1-0
3 vs NYY 2-1
3 vs Det 2-1
4 vs KC 3-1
3 @ Min 1-2
4 @ Det 2-2
3 vs Min 2-1

13-8 the next 21 will keep them in the neighborhood for the wildcard. If they want to get back in the division race, they would probably have to go 16-5 with a perfect record against Detroit.

MsSoxVixen22
08-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Well, let's see, we have an 11 game homestand. If we win tonite and take both series against the Yanks and Tigers, I'll be a happy girl. If we sweep the Yanks and Tigers....I'll be euphoric! :bandance: :)

soxfanreggie
08-07-2006, 12:13 PM
With all these homestands, we need a sweep somewhere. We can't let a team come in here and sweep us at home, and losing 2 out of 3 to a team like the Tigers could be deadly. I agree that we need to play above .600 ball on this homestand.

Foulke You
08-07-2006, 12:24 PM
With all these homestands, we need a sweep somewhere.
Seeing as how the Yanks swept us at their place, I would love for nothing more than to return the favor and smoke them at Comiskey. I'm almost as jacked about the Yankee series as I am about the Detroit series. However, the Sox can't get caught looking ahead, they have a tough Angel team coming tonight that is just as important.

Jerko
08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Well, let's see, we have an 11 game homestand. If we win tonite and take both series against the Yanks and Tigers, I'll be a happy girl. If we sweep the Yanks and Tigers....I'll be euphoric! :bandance: :)

I worry about tonight; it's technically "game 3" of that Angels series. Sox didn't win the first 2 though so maybe we have a chance!!!!!

Gammons Peter
08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
We need a great game from Buehrle tonight and he's been awful (his 6 innings against the Royals didnt impress me)

Jurr
08-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't it be nice for the Sox to pull a "June 2000" and go ballistic on the tougher teams? I remember fondly the Indians/Yankees/Indians/Yankees stretch where they absolutely demolished their opponents.

Ooohhhhhhh how good would it be?

DSpivack
08-07-2006, 05:19 PM
The only thing we can do this month is stay in the race, hopefully still atop the wild card. We can drop out of the playoff race this month, but we can't get in the playoffs in August.

batmanZoSo
08-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Wouldn't it be nice for the Sox to pull a "June 2000" and go ballistic on the tougher teams? I remember fondly the Indians/Yankees/Indians/Yankees stretch where they absolutely demolished their opponents.

Ooohhhhhhh how good would it be?

That was a .740 month.

If we won 20 of our next 27, given the competition, I'd very much like our chances.

OrlandoPaleHose
08-09-2006, 12:06 AM

I know I know... it was like the super Sunday optimist typing. However, nothing surprises me anymore, so if they are a game up you heard it here first lol

however, when you have 7 games against the first place team and no one else to jump, ya never know... if we win those series, and just due to the law of averages the Tigs will have to drop a game or two here and there against the rest of the league... after august the Sox might just be there or awefully damn close

kitekrazy
08-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Wouldn't it be nice for the Sox to pull a "June 2000" and go ballistic on the tougher teams?

The Sox have looked flat playing KC and Baltimore. I think they are gearing up against better competition.