PDA

View Full Version : Sox Pride at the Rogers Skycentre Dome

Baby Fisk
08-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Nice turnout by the Sox Army so far this weekend. I've heard things coming out of the bleachers never heard before. Both the "Paulie!" chant and the "Let's Go White Sox!" chants were audible several times during the game today. I'm proud to be a Sox fan!

http://www.resourcesforbears.com/NEWS/ARTICLES/V03A0023/rip_freddy2.jpg
"You make me proud, Sox."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/pics/breaking/0602Green-ON-autosized158.jpg
"Proud?"

"Proud!"

chisoxfanatic
08-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Neato! I've heard it loud and clear while watching on RSN and TSN these past couple of days! I actually sat next to a Sox fan on the flight here who's going to all 3 games. We talked baseball the entire flight.

I'll be there tomorrow early to watch our boys take batting practice. Gotta also get those Cito Gaston bobblehead dolls...LOL! AND they're supposedly doing a home run derby before the game (fomer Blue Jay players or something???).

About how many Sox fans would you guess were there today and yesterday?

Baby Fisk
08-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Neato! I've heard it loud and clear while watching on RSN and TSN these past couple of days! I actually sat next to a Sox fan on the flight here who's going to all 3 games. We talked baseball the entire flight.

I'll be there tomorrow early to watch our boys take batting practice. Gotta also get those Cito Gaston bobblehead dolls...LOL! AND they're supposedly doing a home run derby before the game (fomer Blue Jay players or something???).

About how many Sox fans would you guess were there today and yesterday?

Thousands? :dunno:

When you don't often encounter live Sox fans, a little feels like a lot! :cool:

chisoxfanatic
08-05-2006, 08:23 PM

When you don't often encounter live Sox fans, a little feels like a lot! :cool:

Looks like SOMEONE needs to head to 35th & Shields, Chicago, IL 60616 very soon!

NoShoesJoe
08-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I've heard it every away game for some time. I love it. How often do you hear the vistor's getting cheered at home?

SoxShirt
08-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I was there yesterday and was surrounded by Blue Jay's fans. But I yelled as loud as I could and made the Jay's fans pretty mad...:D: I'll be there tomorrow still yelling!!!!:tongue:

hi im skot
08-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Nice turnout by the Sox Army so far this weekend. I've heard things coming out of the bleachers never heard before. Both the "Paulie!" chant and the "Let's Go White Sox!" chants were audible several times during the game today. I'm proud to be a Sox fan!

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/pics/breaking/0602Green-ON-autosized158.jpg
"Proud?"

"Proud!"

Post of the year.

By a mile.

woodenleg
08-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I've heard it every away game for some time. I love it. How often do you hear the vistor's getting cheered at home?

Well, Tampa Bay and, lately, Kansas City for starters.....

Certainly the Cubs are notorious for this.

MILTMAY5
08-07-2006, 02:42 PM

When you don't often encounter live Sox fans, a little feels like a lot! :cool:I was at the game Sunday and spotted dozens of Sox fans! Got to meet Man SooLee before the game ( he's a riot ) and even snagged a few autographs ( Don Cooper, Jon Garland ). Too bad we blew the 3 run lead - the Sox have no killer instict!

Fenway
08-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Well, Tampa Bay and, lately, Kansas City for starters.....

Certainly the Cubs are notorious for this.

Tampa Bay is the worst. Yesterday they had 30,000 at the game and the vast majority were silent went the Rays hit the walkoff homer.

JUribe1989
08-07-2006, 03:10 PM

"Proud?"

"Proud!"

Freddy Got Fingered is my favorite comedy of all-time. BAR NONE! Unbelievable post Baby Fisk!!!!!

Law11
08-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I cant be the only one who loves playing Toronto simply to see that incredible brunette behind Home plate... Reminded me of Constance Marie from the George lopez show.. Nice...

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm back from Toronto now, and I must say that now I will NEVER complain about the Chevy Pride Crew again! Jay Force and the 7th Inning Stretch gimmicks were even worse! Jay Force are a bunch of people who breakdance on the dugouts before the 8th inning. And, before singing the 7th Inning Stretch, a ton of people went out onto the field and directed the crowd in aerobic "stretches" for a couple of minutes (while singing a Kindergartenish song)! Not to mention the whole "We Are Toronto" segment towards the end of the game! My boyfriend wasn't wrong when he told me that Jays games can be a joke. I'd have to say that the only things Skydome has on Comiskey are the out-of-town scoreboard and the jumbotron (they have this wide screen jumbotron that's at least twice the size of our's with much more information on it).

The positives: I was able to get my pink Sox hat signed by Jon Garland, Mike MacDougal, Don Cooper, and Man Soo Lee. I thanked three of the four for last year, and Man Soo even came over and hugged me and gave me an autographed baseball, which he signed in KOREAN!

Baby Fisk
08-09-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm back from Toronto now, and I must say that now I will NEVER complain about the Chevy Pride Crew again! Jay Force and the 7th Inning Stretch gimmicks were even worse! Jay Force are a bunch of people who breakdance on the dugouts before the 8th inning. And, before singing the 7th Inning Stretch, a ton of people went out onto the field and directed the crowd in aerobic "stretches" for a couple of minutes (while singing a Kindergartenish song)! Not to mention the whole "We Are Toronto" segment towards the end of the game! My boyfriend wasn't wrong when he told me that Jays games can be a joke. I'd have to say that the only things Skydome has on Comiskey are the out-of-town scoreboard and the jumbotron (they have this wide screen jumbotron that's at least twice the size of our's with much more information on it).

The positives: I was able to get my pink Sox hat signed by Jon Garland, Mike MacDougal, Don Cooper, and Man Soo Lee. I thanked three of the four for last year, and Man Soo even came over and hugged me and gave me an autographed baseball, which he signed in KOREAN!
Baseball as presented by the Toronto Blue Jays organization is lame and childish, as if every fan is a nine year old kid. The wave is done at EVERY GAME. Everything you mentioned above is LAME. The "We Are Toronto" segment is an embarrassment. Can you imagine something like that at USCF? "Come on fans, be proud, because We Are Chicago!" :rolleyes: I guess they have to cater to their target audience, which tends to be casual frontrunners counting down the days until hockey starts.

However, I disagree about the out of town scoreboards -- I hate having to wait for certain games to scroll around before seeing the scores. They need to speed that up, or somehow fit more games onto those screens at once.

The kosher dogs are great, tho. So there's that.

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Baby Fisk,

Is it an unwritten rule for women to not wear sports attire at Blue Jays games? I only encountered one woman who had sports attire on, and she was another SOX fan!

In addition, is it even common for even the guys not to wear Blue Jays apparel? I saw more Team Canada gear on people than Blue Jay gear! Hell, I think I saw as much Blue Jay gear on the GO Train ride from Oakville to Union Station as I did at Skydome!

I just couldn't believe it, since I'm so used to seeing people wall-to-wall decked out in Sox gear at Comiskey! It seemed rather strange.

Baby Fisk
08-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Baby Fisk,

Is it an unwritten rule for women to not wear sports attire at Blue Jays games? I only encountered one woman who had sports attire on, and she was another SOX fan!

In addition, is it even common for even the guys not to wear Blue Jays apparel? I saw more Team Canada gear on people than Blue Jay gear! Hell, I think I saw as much Blue Jay gear on the GO Train ride from Oakville to Union Station as I did at Skydome!

I just couldn't believe it, since I'm so used to seeing people wall-to-wall decked out in Sox gear at Comiskey! It seemed rather strange.
Jays fans tend to be CASUAL Jays fans. I don't think I know any DIEHARD Jays fans. That's why you won't see very many people decked out in Jays gear, other than the occasional person. Following the Jays in Toronto is really a secondary thing to following the Maple Leafs. This is not a baseball city, unless it's the year 1992 and then suddenly everyone is a Jays fan and people like Baby Fisk are the evil outsider who roots for evil American cities like Chicago. :rolleyes:

WHATEVER! :bandance:

MILTMAY5
08-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Jays fans tend to be CASUAL Jays fans. I don't think I know any DIEHARD Jays fans. That's why you won't see very many people decked out in Jays gear, other than the occasional person. Following the Jays in Toronto is really a secondary thing to following the Maple Leafs. This is not a baseball city, unless it's the year 1992 and then suddenly everyone is a Jays fan and people like Baby Fisk are the evil outsider who roots for evil American cities like Chicago. :rolleyes:

WHATEVER! :bandance: Maybe if the Jays could come up with a decent jersey/cap people would buy their gear.

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Jays fans tend to be CASUAL Jays fans. I don't think I know any DIEHARD Jays fans.

I actually know at least a couple die hard Jays fans. One of them is a true-blue die hard fan (even knows Eric Bedard from playing with him a few years ago), while the other one is funny in a way, but yet a Jays fan. They both are very close friends of my boyfriend and great people.

An off-topic question, Fisk: I know of others in the Toronto area who absolutely LOATHE the Leafs (my boyfriend and his brother included). Do you as well have that same hate? If so, which team do you root for?

churlish
08-10-2006, 01:26 AM
All I have to say about Blue Jays fans is "5, 4, 3, 2, 1...WHOA!!!!" And repeat a thousand times.

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2006, 01:40 AM
Funny aside about Sunday's game. So, we were sitting in the club level seats in the section right in front of the club level bar they have up there. Behind us was literally an entire row of 16-17 year-old "scouts" from Ireland (even brought a huge flag from their homeland). They acted as if they were at a SOCCER game in doing several highly inane chants and comments:

"Same old White Sox...Always cheating!"
"EZ! EZ! EZ! EZ!" (whenever nearly each Sox out was recorded)
"We're not singing...You're not singing."
"Hey, White Sox, You smell like white socks!"
"When will they start the wave?"
"Are WE winning?"
"The score is 350-480, Blue Jays" (reading across the Runs, Hits, and Errors columns as one number)
"Beat the Yankees!" (they had several anti-American slurs merely because the Sox play in an American city...TOTALLY unacceptable!)

These losers even gave a standing ovation for a routine flyout with nobody on base, and the out was the second in a middle inning.

Let's hear other stories about weird fans around you.

churlish
08-10-2006, 01:59 AM
I had some genius sitting next to me who was complaining about the Jays offensive woes because the Sox pitcher (Contreras) only threw 88 mph and they still couldn't hit him. He also gave his son some advice about why bunting is always bad. That day, I sat in the upper deck, and the funniest thing was this 8 year old kid yelling "Jermaine Dye.... You suck."

On Saturday's game, I had a family from London sitting next to me. They were very nice people, but didn't quite understand baseball.

I thought the pre-7th inning stretch song was hilarious. I tried to sing along.

The "fastest grounds crew on earth" was neat, too. They were pretty fast, although I'm not sure if they were the fastest on earth.

But, my goodness, they sure loved their wave. They tried dozens of times, to little avail. If I want to see the wave done right, I'll go watch the Sox clobber the Royals in Kansas City, thank you very much.

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2006, 02:14 AM
The "fastest grounds crew on earth" was neat, too. They were pretty fast, although I'm not sure if they were the fastest on earth.

If they weren't the "fastest" grounds crew, there would be a problem with them considering the only "dirt" is around the bases. All I can say is I've never seen a PUSH BROOM used on a baseball field until Sunday! LOL!

TheKittle
08-10-2006, 02:35 AM
I went to the Skydome way back in 1990. The Blue Jays were still a contending team, the place was sold out, and the "newest" of Skydome still hadn't worn off . I was lucky to get a ticket.

The Blue Jays were playing the Royals with Bo Jackson. The Blue Jays turned a DP and there was a small cheer. The guy behind me asked the girl next him, Why are they clapping? The girl said "Not sure, maybe stupid Americans." Nice to see people living in Canada actually know the game of baseball.

SoxShirt
08-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Let's hear other stories about weird fans around you. On Friday, I was sitting next to a bunch of kids in bright green t shirts in the upper deck... not quite sure what that was about... and the Jays fans behind us kept chanting "Pizza! Pizza!" That was getting annoying after awhile, and at Sunday's game, my brother and I chanted "Pizza!" a couple of times when the Jays were up. :D:

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2006, 10:13 AM
On Friday, I was sitting next to a bunch of kids in bright green t shirts in the upper deck... not quite sure what that was about... and the Jays fans behind us kept chanting "Pizza! Pizza!" That was getting annoying after awhile, and at Sunday's game, my brother and I chanted "Pizza!" a couple of times when the Jays were up. :D:

They actually did that for a reason. Whenever a Jays starting pitcher strikes out seven opposing batters in a game, everyone may bring their ticket stubs from that game to any Pizza! Pizza! location in Ontario and receive a free pizza slice. That's what the whole "579*11*11" graphic on the scoreboard was all about, tracking strikeouts by by placing K's on the numbers as they get closer to seven K's in the game. Pizza! Pizza! is like Little Ceasar's here.

ChiSox Fan 68
08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
We were at all three games in Toronto. Friday and Saturday was great - we were surrounded by Sox fans, especially on Saturday. The Jays fans around us were very nice and didn't seem upset at all the Sox fans in their house. But on Sunday, the tone seemed to change. We were harassed a bit (but that is to be expected since all four of us had Sox jerseys on), especially because the Jays were winning. But the really strange thing was that there was a group of rowdy Jays fans in left field who were heckling Pods really, really bad. I've never seen a player get the grief that he was getting. There was a bad vibe, almost hostile feel, in that section. We ended up moving to the other side of the park after just a few innings.

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
These losers even gave a standing ovation for a routine flyout with nobody on base, and the out was the second in a middle inning.

:roflmao:

0o0o0
08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
They actually did that for a reason. Whenever a Jays starting pitcher strikes out seven opposing batters in a game, everyone may bring their ticket stubs from that game to any Pizza! Pizza! location in Ontario and receive a free pizza slice. That's what the whole "579*11*11" graphic on the scoreboard was all about, tracking strikeouts by by placing K's on the numbers as they get closer to seven K's in the game. Pizza! Pizza! is like Little Ceasar's here.

And boy did we ever cash in on the Sox hitting woes. 8 free, huge slices of pizza. Thanks Pods and co. :drool::rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
But on Sunday, the tone seemed to change. We were harassed a bit (but that is to be expected since all four of us had Sox jerseys on), especially because the Jays were winning. But the really strange thing was that there was a group of rowdy Jays fans in left field who were heckling Pods really, really bad.

From where we were sitting that day, I could almost swear I was hearing "Block that kick!" chants coming very often from around that area! This isn't a friggen football or soccer game, guys...This is BASEBALL!

Scottiehaswheels
08-10-2006, 01:42 PM
All I know is the SkyDome has the worst food selection of ANY park I've ever been to... Its the same 2-3 stands ALL around the ballpark....

Baby Fisk
08-11-2006, 08:53 AM
All I know is the SkyDome has the worst food selection of ANY park I've ever been to... Its the same 2-3 stands ALL around the ballpark....
The food at that park is garbage except for the kosher dogs, which they only sell at one tiny cart in a corner of the lower deck. Everything else is basic fare: tasteless hot dogs, oversalted nachos, oversalted fries, etc.

ChiSox Fan 68's story is very familiar. When the Jays are losing, the fans become silent and passive. When the Jays are winning, suddenly they become arrogant. It's very bi-polar. Sometimes you encounter a group of rowdy youngsters who can't handle two beers and it can be unpleasant. Fortunately, there are enough empty seats at most games that you can move to another section without any grief.

The most interesting fans I've ever encountered are a bunch of latino guys who hang out in the upper deck. Once they take their seats, they pull on mexican wrestling masks and do pose-downs. People love taking pictures with them. Fun stuff. :cool:

0o0o0
08-11-2006, 11:08 AM
The food at that park is garbage except for the kosher dogs, which they only sell at one tiny cart in a corner of the lower deck. Everything else is basic fare: tasteless hot dogs, oversalted nachos, oversalted fries, etc.

The hot dog stands outside the stadium were amazing. Two bucks for the biggest, best tasting hot dog ever. :thumbsup:

Baby Fisk
08-11-2006, 11:23 AM
The hot dog stands outside the stadium were amazing. Two bucks for the biggest, best tasting hot dog ever. :thumbsup:Yeah, the dogs you can get outside the park are way better.

Scottzilla
08-11-2006, 12:06 PM
they have portillos in toronto?