PDA

View Full Version : Baker on playoffs

dakuda
08-05-2006, 12:31 PM
I am sure that I will see some BS replies about flubsessed or some garbage like that, but I read this while eating breakfast this morning and found it slightly amusing:

http://www.nwherald.com/SportsSection/pro/342368553605551.php

CubKilla
08-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Wrigley Field must have a "dumbing" effect on people, players and managers included.

downstairs
08-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Has anyone ever noticed that the Cubs really have not tried to honestly "rebuild" in decades. They've never gotten rid of fan favorites, even when they start to crumble in terms of talent.

Its amazing that the primary concern is putting butts in the seats. People will come out to see Sandberg, Sosa, Wood, Prior, Zambrano.... even though all of them should have been traded away in their PRIME to build a real winner.

Can you imagine the Cubs dumping a Carlos Lee, Ordonez, Rowand for the sake of winning?

Oh, well... their loss.

SoxSpeed22
08-05-2006, 01:55 PM
To downstairs:
Tekijawa said it best when he said, "this is a marketing machine, not a baseball team."
That is their goal.

Brian26
08-05-2006, 04:51 PM
The common sense is lost in all of this though. Dusty looks at the wild card deficit of 10 games and thinks there is a chance to climb out of that hole. While that might be possible in a normal scenario, the scrubs will need to jump over 11 other teams (not even counting the division leaders). Mathematically, the Cubs may not be eliminated yet with the magic-number, but they may be technically eliminated if one were to look at the remaining schedules of the remaining teams. If enough of these teams are playing each other (which is essentially 14 of the 16 teams in the NL), there's no way all of the teams above the Cubs are going to lose enough games to drop out of the wild card. It's easy to root for one team to go on an 8-game losing streak, but it's impossible to expect 14 teams to go on an extended losing streak. The scrubs are toast. Dusty is a fool.

soxjim
08-05-2006, 05:27 PM
It is true the cubs had a winning record in July. I was waiting for someone to think this. I was thinking it would of been santo.

STRETCH!!!
08-06-2006, 12:27 AM
To be fair, I don't know what else Baker is supposed to say in public, although nothing at all would have probably been better since it doesn't appear he was actually asked about the team's postseason prospects. Until one's team is mathematcially eliminated beyond a shadow of doubt, if I were a manager I sure wouldn't say that I'd abandoned all hoped of a miraculous finish and had decided to pack it in.

This has been nothing but a miserable season for the northsiders. Their league was down and yet they couldn't take advantage. They certainly began the year expecting better things. It seems as if their fans have become more disgusted this year, and they have really turned on the team more than I remembered in the past. The garbage on the field incident when they played the Sox was ugly.

They really have nowhere to go but up from here, I think they have hit rock bottom. That said, the Cubs y have as much chance of making the playoffs this year as _______ (fill in the blank).

gosox3072
08-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Has anyone ever noticed that the Cubs really have not tried to honestly "rebuild" in decades. They've never gotten rid of fan favorites, even when they start to crumble in terms of talent.

Its amazing that the primary concern is putting butts in the seats. People will come out to see Sandberg, Sosa, Wood, Prior, Zambrano.... even though all of them should have been traded away in their PRIME to build a real winner.

Can you imagine the Cubs dumping a Carlos Lee, Ordonez, Rowand for the sake of winning?

Oh, well... their loss.

You said a great point. Ive told numerous Cub fans my opinon that the cubs should have traded Zambrano this past deadline. The usual response is "Your a sox fan and you just wanna see the cubs lose." Although that is true, Zambrano would have by far been the most prized guy on the trading block. They could have gotten someones entire farm system for him. But cub fans dont realize this. Until they do, they will forever remain in 4th place:)

ilsox7
08-06-2006, 12:56 AM
To be fair, I don't know what else Baker is supposed to say in public,

A decent manager says, "I've made some bad calls this season. Our organization needs to re-group and move forward." Trying to sell unealistic expectations to anyone is a dumb thing to do. But Dust Pan is a dumb person, so it does not surprise me.

LuvSox
08-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Trying to sell unealistic expectations to anyone is a dumb thing to do.

Those Cubbie fans probably eat that like chum.

WSox597
08-06-2006, 08:46 AM
That said, the Cubs y have as much chance of making the playoffs this year as _______ (fill in the blank).

"..a snowball in a blast furnace"?

Jerko
08-06-2006, 10:50 AM
The common sense is lost in all of this though. Dusty looks at the wild card deficit of 10 games and thinks there is a chance to climb out of that hole. While that might be possible in a normal scenario, the scrubs will need to jump over 11 other teams (not even counting the division leaders). Mathematically, the Cubs may not be eliminated yet with the magic-number, but they may be technically eliminated if one were to look at the remaining schedules of the remaining teams. If enough of these teams are playing each other (which is essentially 14 of the 16 teams in the NL), there's no way all of the teams above the Cubs are going to lose enough games to drop out of the wild card. It's easy to root for one team to go on an 8-game losing streak, but it's impossible to expect 14 teams to go on an extended losing streak. The scrubs are toast. Dusty is a fool.

Same thing happened last year. They were behind the ENTIRE NL EAST at the time of this speech last year. IIRC I posted "uh, Dusty, you're behind an ENTIRE division that is going to spend the next month playing EACH OTHER, so obviously, somebody ahead of you is going to win every day. I know he has to put on a good face, but he knows what he's saying is nonsense.

Ol' No. 2
08-06-2006, 11:13 AM
The common sense is lost in all of this though. Dusty looks at the wild card deficit of 10 games and thinks there is a chance to climb out of that hole. While that might be possible in a normal scenario, the scrubs will need to jump over 11 other teams (not even counting the division leaders). Mathematically, the Cubs may not be eliminated yet with the magic-number, but they may be technically eliminated if one were to look at the remaining schedules of the remaining teams. If enough of these teams are playing each other (which is essentially 14 of the 16 teams in the NL), there's no way all of the teams above the Cubs are going to lose enough games to drop out of the wild card. It's easy to root for one team to go on an 8-game losing streak, but it's impossible to expect 14 teams to go on an extended losing streak. The scrubs are toast. Dusty is a fool.Enter the RIOT number (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/%7Ebaseball/). The Cubs would need to win 22 of their remaining 52 games to avoid elimination from the WC. Even winning ALL their remaining games does not assure them of a spot.