PDA

View Full Version : Boston announcers comment on Farmer and Singleton

Fenway
08-05-2006, 09:43 AM
For the past week WEEI has been running ingame highlights from WSCR and at one point the studio host said after a clip "the always excited Ed Farmer on WSCR" :tongue:

Last night however after they played a clip of Singleton calling AJ's home run the Boston announcers starting saying what a shame the White Sox lost John Rooney. They really picked on Farmer for his lack of excitement.

Outside of XM I can't get WSCR in Boston as there is a 50,000 watt blowtorch at 680 here (WRKO) and WFAN out of NY is on 660 making it impossible for the WSCR signal to get in. WFAN is the old WNBC and may have the best AM signal on the east coast, you can hear it in Maine during the day. I miss the games being on ESPN1000. ( maybe the only one )

stacksedwards
08-05-2006, 09:50 AM
No, I liked games better on 1000 as well but it might have alot to do with the fact that is was Rooney and Farmer rather than Farmer and Singleton. But they are getting better and as long as they are calling White Sox winners I could careless who is in the both

WSox597
08-05-2006, 09:50 AM
games being on ESPN1000.

They did get out there, I was in South Carolina during the playoffs last year and heard ESPN while driving on I95 going back to my hotel.

It was kind of weak, but still readable. I didn't have XM at the time, but I do now. It's worth every penny.

Fenway
08-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I got to admit Singleton calling the AJ homer wasn't bad, he is getting better.

The worst broadcast team has to be Sterling and Dame Edna on the Yankees games, I actually feel bad for NYY fans that they stuck with those 2. But Steinbrenner loves Suzan so she has a job for life.

Paulwny
08-05-2006, 10:26 AM
I miss the games being on ESPN1000. ( maybe the only one )

No, you are not alone. I'm able , at times , to pick-up 670, but the reception isn't very good. I also get the interference from WFAN .
About Dame Edna, I understand she was born in Mass. and I heard her mention that the most memoral event in her baseball life was meeting Ted Williams when she was a child. She may be a closet Red Sox fan.

Fenway
08-05-2006, 10:38 AM
No, you are not alone. I'm able , at times , to pick-up 670, but the reception isn't very good. I also get the interference from WFAN .
About Dame Edna, I understand she was born in Mass. and I heard her mention that the most memoral event in her baseball life was meeting Ted Williams when she was a child. She may be a closet Red Sox fan.

She had a record in 1986, Take Me Out To Old Fenway....Suzan still has strong feelings for the Red Sox but she couldn't get hired in Boston so she wound up at WFAN.

From all accounts she and Sterling can't stand each other but John knows if it comes down to him or her, he be back doing Atlanta games

caulfield12
08-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Jerry Remy drives me nuts sometimes, but at least you get to see Hazel Mae occasionallly in the studio.

I like Jim Kaat...he's pretty perceptive. Murcer is okay. They used to have Ken Singleton, not sure if he's still there or not.

The Cardinals have had an incredibly rough season and Rooney still has a better chance of going to the playoffs with them than the White Sox...

It could be worse, they could get Baines and DJ to do games together. And we know that Ozzie would make things interesting if he ever left the manager's desk for the booth....although I'm not sure how long it would take to blow up in their faces like the Cubs/Caray/Stone situation.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-05-2006, 11:01 AM
The worst broadcast team has to be Sterling and Dame Edna on the Yankees games, I actually feel bad for NYY fans that they stuck with those 2. But Steinbrenner loves Suzan so she has a job for life.

TTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Yankees fans lose. :D:

It is like listening to a lunatic and a dog in heat. Their broadcasts are unbearable.

Farmer and Singleton are not the greatest team but I can sit through a broadcast. I couldn't listen to an entire Yankees game. Perhaps a Gilbert Gottfried / Joan Cusack pairing would be the best comparison for someone who does not have MLB Radio. Annoying with a capital A.

caulfield12
08-05-2006, 11:09 AM
How about Gilbert Gottfried, Andrew Dice Clay with Joe Carter...

Sideline reporters would be Joey Lauren Adams and Kathy Ireland, two girls with the most annoying/grating voices I have ever heard in my life

Paulwny
08-05-2006, 11:11 AM
[quote=caulfield12] I like Jim Kaat...he's pretty perceptive. Murcer is okay. They used to have Ken Singleton, not sure if he's still there or not.
quote]

Ken Singleton is still doing games and so is Paul O'Neill. The YES net has a total of 5 announcers for yankmee games , but they only use 2-3 per game, their very liberal with their vac/off time.
Agree with the Kaat comment , but I can't stand Murcer.

Fenway
08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Jerry Remy drives me nuts sometimes, but at least you get to see Hazel Mae occasionallly in the studio.

Remy is as good as anyone in spotting things before they happen and he does his homework on the visiting team. But he has become a cottage industry selling his Wally Beanbags and shilling for his hot dog stand at Fenway. He sells everything

http://www.theremyreport.com/remy/merchandise.do

When the NESN studio went HD this year Hazel never looked better. She just signed for 2 more years turning down ESPN. I am still amazed Toronto let her get away.

caulfield12
08-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, when I saw her recently, she looked like she had spent too much time in the tanning both, that or she was wearing way too much make-up...and I'm not a big fan of the plastic/silicone look, but she seems pretty cool and down-to-earth. And she can play a mean game of tennis.

I don't know if I could ever separate O'Neill's irritating whining and complaining after every strike call from his announcing...even his sister wrote a book, he's just a little too much for me to take.

Fenway
08-05-2006, 12:32 PM
TTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Yankees fans lose. :D:

It is like listening to a lunatic and a dog in heat. Their broadcasts are unbearable.

Farmer and Singleton are not the greatest team but I can sit through a broadcast. I couldn't listen to an entire Yankees game. Perhaps a Gilbert Gottfried / Joan Cusack pairing would be the best comparison for someone who does not have MLB Radio. Annoying with a capital A.

That sums up Sterling and Dame Edna perfectly :smile:

Opie and Anthony did this tribute to John Sterling, oh they were brutal

afro202.com/archives/xm-oav/ONAXM-09-01-05-(john-sterling-audio).mp3 (http://afro202.com/archives/xm-oav/ONAXM-09-01-05-(john-sterling-audio).mp3)
Copy and paste the url into your browser

SOXintheBURGH
08-05-2006, 12:42 PM
I can get WSCR once in a blue moon if I'm on the other side of Pittsburgh, I lose it when I get past the airport.

I get a lot of action from Windsor, actually.

samram
08-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I picked up WFAN pretty clearly in southern Virginia, so that signal gets out there. I can get 1000 in Charlotte if I'm not around power wires.

Fenway
08-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I picked up WFAN pretty clearly in southern Virginia, so that signal gets out there. I can get 1000 in Charlotte if I'm not around power wires.

FAN has a monster signal. The main reason is that years ago WCBS and WNBC built a joint transmitter on High Island in the Bronx. With AM if you build your transmitter near water the signal is going to improve. The radio techs I know say they built the perfect transmitter.

http://hawkins.pair.com/wcbs_wfan.html

gbergman
08-05-2006, 02:55 PM
John Rooneys now with the Cardinals, damn you cheap bastards i want Rooney

Brian26
08-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Outside of XM I can't get WSCR in Boston as there is a 50,000 watt blowtorch at 680 here (WRKO) and WFAN out of NY is on 660 making it impossible for the WSCR signal to get in. WFAN is the old WNBC and may have the best AM signal on the east coast, you can hear it in Maine during the day. I miss the games being on ESPN1000. ( maybe the only one )

I remember trying to tune in the Fan successfully here in Chicago on late summer nights in the early 90's. They used to have a couple of night-time shows that I enjoyed listening to on the weekends. It was really faint though with WMAQ the next notch up on the dial.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-05-2006, 04:37 PM
That sums up Sterling and Dame Edna perfectly :smile:

Opie and Anthony did this tribute to John Sterling, oh they were brutal

afro202.com/archives/xm-oav/ONAXM-09-01-05-(john-sterling-audio).mp3 (http://afro202.com/archives/xm-oav/ONAXM-09-01-05-(john-sterling-audio).mp3)
Copy and paste the url into your browser

Awesome - love the bonus ragging on Berman "He could go all the way".

WSox597
08-05-2006, 04:37 PM
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/4316.gif

This may be the answer to your AM long range listening woes. Check it out at the above link.

It allows you to hear faint stations, and to null out strong ones. It goes for about $50.

They were used quite a bit during the construction of the Alaskan pipeline to pull in stateside stations.

jabrch
08-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Singleton is getting better - but he's got a lot of room to keep developing. He reminds me a lot of any rookie broadcaster. I'm thinking of Dolgin last year on pre and post. He struggled at first, but got better at the end. Singleton should be doing the same. Maybe next year he will be solid.

That said, losing Rooney sucks. He was one of the best.

tebman
08-05-2006, 06:12 PM
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/4316.gif

This may be the answer to your AM long range listening woes. Check it out at the above link.

It allows you to hear faint stations, and to null out strong ones. It goes for about $50.

They were used quite a bit during the construction of the Alaskan pipeline to pull in stateside stations.

There's a selection of those kinds of antennas at this link (http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-antennas/index.aspx). They all work, but they require some trial and error to get the best results. Of course for some of us who are radio geeks, that's a great way to spend an evening. :tongue:

Kogs35
08-05-2006, 08:10 PM
i can pick up espn1000 in my downstairs bathroom at night on a walkman i have in northen nj, and dont really get any interference from 1010 wins

WSox597
08-06-2006, 03:19 PM
some of us who are radio geeks, that's a great way to spend an evening.

Obviously, count me in. :D:

I've been a SWL for many years, and a ham for almost as long. Just something about radio...

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Obviously, count me in. :D:

I've been a SWL for many years, and a ham for almost as long. Just something about radio...
First SWL callsign: WPE9EEL (Popular Electronics Magazine used to issue SWL callsigns, thus the PE in the call.)
First ham callsign: WN9EXV in 1962. Re-entered ham radio in 1979 (after serving in the Army Signal Corps as a RTTY operator) as KA9GAR. Took a new callsign, KB9RM, when I upgraded to advanced, kept it when I upgraded to Extra. When I moved to Minnesota, I changed calls even though you no longer have to, and am now NIX.

I want Mags back
08-08-2006, 09:10 AM
I could get the score last year at camp, in Barrington NY. 1000 never came in though

maurice
08-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I heard Rooney on the radio when I was down in StL and felt like crying.

miker
08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I can get WSCR once in a blue moon if I'm on the other side of Pittsburgh, I lose it when I get past the airport.

I get a lot of action from Windsor, actually.
You're better off not getting WSCR period!

And what happens in Windsor, probably should stay in Windsor...

Palehose13
08-08-2006, 07:48 PM
No, you are not alone. I'm able , at times , to pick-up 670, but the reception isn't very good.

Interesting. I like that the Sox are now on 670. I get the game crystal clear now. Reception was awful when the Sox were on 1000. Forget about it when we had a storm!

WSox597
08-12-2006, 05:36 PM
kept it when I upgraded to Extra

Congratulations on the upgrade, Nellie_Fox. I recently upgraded to Extra myself, just last March. It's a good feeling to see Amateur Extra on your license.

I was first licensed in '82, and have kept the same call sign since. I play around with getting a new call, but haven't change it yet.

I never got the SWL callsign from PE, but have played around with SW since around '65 or so. Those old Hallicrafters radios lured me in. I still have one, an S-38, just for old time's sake.