PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Thome On The Range 8/4/06 Postgame Thread

BeviBall!
08-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word and the hits keep coming all day.

Needless to say, we missed you Big Jim.

Soxworldchamps
08-04-2006, 09:55 PM
It's always a nice night when the Sox win :D:

Timmy D's
PK and Big Jim are back!!!!! That felt good!!!!! Paulies slide into 1st although admirable as he missed the tag, sure did scare the hell outa me though!!:o:

rowand33
What a great ****ing game.

Offense looks good against one of baseball's best, good pitching.

I'm not even going to complain about Mack's first inning blunder.

Good game. Have a good night all. :gulp:

FielderJones
A lot of good performances tonight. Tough PTC choice!

Ol' No. 2
08-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Nice game for the pitching staff. Now you know why double plays are a pitcher's best friend.

Too bad the Indians bullpen is beyond pathetic.

The Racehorse
08-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Nice game fellas! Great seeing that 1-2 punch of Thome & PK once again... not to mention another solid outing by Garland.

:bandance:

TheOldRoman
08-04-2006, 09:57 PM
AJ provided the big hit, but my hero today is Garland. After his big mistake in the first, he was lights out. Props to McCarthy, too, for looking kicking arse for two innings.
Memo to Sox pitching: Troy Glaus is not even half as good as you make him look. For some reason, he has your number. In such an instance, DO NOT GIVE HIM ANYTHING TO HIT.

SABRSox
08-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Too bad the Indians bullpen is beyond pathetic.

Yup. The only guy on that team pulling his weight is Hafner.

JB98
08-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Best game of the road trip by far. That's what a World Series team looks like. Garland battled his ass off without his best stuff. Thome and Konerko a combined 6-for-7 with three walks. AJ and Dye pick up some key RBIs. Other than the one lapse by Mack, great defense.

Why can't we play like this all the time?

BeviBall!
08-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Clutch hitting, small ball working to perfection and Garland keeps on keeping on. Seeing the Sox turn those DPs was a thing of beauty! Won a game against one of the best pitchers in the league... now, lets take it to the AAA boy tomorrow.

NoShoesJoe
08-04-2006, 10:00 PM
What a great game. Great pichting. JAVY? WERE YOU WATCHING?

theONUkid
08-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I got to be honest, after the first inning I wasn't too hopeful. Trailing by 3 with Halladay on the mound. Just keep rollin' boys!

Maybe Vazquez can pitch more than six innings tommorow with out crapping his pants.

Mohoney
08-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Yup. The only guy on that team pulling his weight is Hafner.

And it's a ton of weight at that, due to HGH.

It's always nice to get the win against a great pitcher like Halladay. As long as we don't see Lilly, we have a real good chance to sweep.

Grzegorz
08-04-2006, 10:02 PM
AJ provided the big hit, but my hero today is Garland. After his big mistake in the first, he was lights out.

You must mean that change up that Glaus pounded. Kinda funny that the pitch just prior to the one he launched was a beautiful strike at the knees that the umpire didn't feel like calling a strike.

Ironic, he did call that same pitch a strike for Halliday to retire Mackowiac in the top of the second inning.

I am very happy for Jon, he kept his composure and shut those pretenders down.

Excellent win, keep it up.

JB98
08-04-2006, 10:03 PM
AJ provided the big hit, but my hero today is Garland. After his big mistake in the first, he was lights out. Props to McCarthy, too, for looking kicking arse for two innings.
Memo to Sox pitching: Troy Glaus is not even half as good as you make him look. For some reason, he has your number. In such an instance, DO NOT GIVE HIM ANYTHING TO HIT.

Overbay lit Garland up twice the last time we were at Toronto. I wouldn't want him to work around Glaus in that situation, just because Overbay was in the on-deck circle. That change-up to Glaus was in a bad location, pure and simple. But that was one of the few bad pitches by Garland on the night. He did a good job of getting the double-play ball when he needed it from that point forward.

Ol' No. 2
08-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Memo to Sox pitching: Troy Glaus is not even half as good as you make him look. For some reason, he has your number. In such an instance, DO NOT GIVE HIM ANYTHING TO HIT.Overall: .265, .371, .563
vs. Sox: .304, .385, .739

Here's something to cheer you up, though.

vs. DET: .455, .571, 1.091

Mohoney
08-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Kinda funny that the pitch just prior to the one he launched was a beautiful strike at the knees that the umpire didn't feel like calling a strike.

Ironic, he did call that same pitch a strike for Halliday to retire Mackowiac in the top of the second inning.

C.B. Bucknor is one of the worst umpires in baseball.

SoxSpeed22
That's more like it.
Garland was tough after the home run and the D showed up for him.
They got to hit off of Halladay, way to go AJ.
This formula should lead to more wins.

WMG
Highlight of the game for me:

Pods bunting for single and then swiping second!!

Lowlight:

Paulie getting his first career infield single leading to an over busting 9th run in the game. Then Bobby blowing the push in the bottom half.

NoShoesJoe
08-04-2006, 10:05 PM
The Tiger just beat the Indians 7-6. Indians suck.

:indianslose

cbone
08-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Great game fellas, Mack don't be too hard on yourself, that ump was pathetic. Let's get em tomorrow!:gulp: :gulp:

Ol' No. 2
08-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Best game of the road trip by far. That's what a World Series team looks like. Garland battled his ass off without his best stuff. Thome and Konerko a combined 6-for-7 with three walks. AJ and Dye pick up some key RBIs. Other than the one lapse by Mack, great defense.

Why can't we play like this all the time?Did Mackowiak run over Bucknor's dog or something?

JB98
08-04-2006, 10:06 PM
C.B. Bucknor is one of the worst umpires in baseball.

One of? He is the worst. I don't know how he keeps his job. Mackowiak got railroaded tonight.

WMG
08-04-2006, 10:07 PM
The Tiger just beat the Indians 7-6. Indians suck.

:indianslose

at one point I checked the scoreboard and it showed the Yanks, RSox, Twins and Tigers all losing.... should have known it was too good to be true.

NoShoesJoe
Did Mackowiak run over Bucknor's dog or something?

Really. Wow, was that a bunch of crap; each time he was up.

cheezheadsoxfan

Seen Garland do that before, not let one mistake blow the whole night. Wish he could infect Javy with some of that.

Looked like our old selves, let's keep it up1:bandance:

ws05champs
08-04-2006, 10:09 PM
This was a huge win!

Beating Halladay
Great defense
Excellent baserunning
Timely hitting
Superb pitchingWhat more could you ask for?

delben91
08-04-2006, 10:09 PM
After being gone all week on business (and I didn't even do a "good bye" thread as the trip was sprung on me over the weekend), this was a great game to reacquaint myself with the Sox.

Keep on rollin' boys. :cool: :gulp:

SoxSpeed22
08-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Did Mackowiak run over Bucknor's dog or something?:mack:
"Let's replace the word 'kind of' with the word 'repeatedly'. And the word 'dog' with 'son'."
:cool:

JB98
08-04-2006, 10:11 PM
at one point I checked the scoreboard and it showed the Yanks, RSox, Twins and Tigers all losing.... should have known it was too good to be true.

Yup. The Twins are the only ones still losing. Cleveland is really screwing us this week. They blew two ninth-inning leads in Boston, and now an epic collapse in Detroit tonight. Disappointing, but not surprising, given the composition of that bullpen.

cheeses_h_rice
08-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Yup. The Twins are the only ones still losing. Cleveland is really screwing us this week. They blew two ninth-inning leads in Boston, and now an epic collapse in Detroit tonight. Disappointing, but not surprising, given the composition of that bullpen.

Sing it. I'm so ****ing pissed off at the Tribe for not pulling their weight of late.

Rdubb4
08-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Big John is the man for stepping up when certain unnamed starters are stepping down. Great win with a classic White Sox baseball sequence in the ninth. Infield single, stolen base, JD single, insurance run.

NoShoesJoe
08-04-2006, 10:15 PM

Not any more. Twins are winning 4-3. :( - Miss comminucation here; MLB has it as KC winning 4-3 and Comcast just said Twins 4-3. I guess the Twins are still losing 4-3.

RedSox win too.

NDSox12
08-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Best win in a LONG time, IMO. Beating Halladay is no small task. Garland was very impressive. Sure helps having Thome and Konerko in the lineup!

A little while ago, it looked like we were going to get a lot of help from the lesser teams in the AL, but alas it appears we will have to get it done on our own.

Let's keep it rolling tomorrow!

Foulke You
08-04-2006, 10:21 PM
I was watching the game with my Dad tonight and he thought we had gained a game on Detroit. I told him to remember that Wickman is no longer there to close things out when the bullpen gets in a jam. I hate it when I'm right.:(: The friggin' Tigers just don't lose.

alohafri
08-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Garland has been fantastic! Mack needs to fake an illness when Ozzie pencils him in for centerfield.

Foulke You
08-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Overall, I felt the Sox played their best game since the 7-1 win over Detroit many moons ago. They played solid defense (except for the Mackowiak blunder in the 1st), pitched great, and got the timely hits against one of the best in the AL. Not too shabby at all.

NDSox12
08-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Overall, I felt the Sox played their best game since the 7-1 win over Detroit many moons ago. They played solid defense (except for the Mackowiak blunder in the 1st), pitched great, and got the timely hits against one of the best in the AL. Not too shabby at all.

Yep... I agree 100%. That was exactly the game that came to mind when I was trying to think when the Sox last played as well as they did tonight.

voodoochile
08-04-2006, 10:30 PM
This was a huge win!
Beating Halladay
Great defense
Excellent baserunning
Timely hitting

Exactly this is the type of win that should shut up the more negative people on these forums for a while. The Sox take a huge haymaker in the first, but fight back for a couple of runs in the next few innings and then land a big blow of their own to take control of the game. Both teams had 3-run bombs, the Sox simply managed to scratch out more runs on good execution (though a few more timely two-out hits would have blown this one wide open much earlier).

Still, good SP, good RP, good execution and with the exception of the Mack "You got it, Scott?" play in the first inning very solid defense.

I guess I'll summarize my point thusly...

:winner

:):supernana:

Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
Let the sun shine
The sun shine in...

Greg1983
08-04-2006, 10:34 PM
I noticed Bobby gave up a homer tonight. It seems like he has been struggling lately, but I haven't actually seen the Sox play for several days. I've just been scanning box scores.

Does anyone who has been watching have any feedback or information about Bobby? Perhaps it's nothing...everyone will blow a save or give up a gopher ball now and then.

Thanks...

NDSox12
08-04-2006, 10:39 PM
I noticed Bobby gave up a homer tonight. It seems like he has been struggling lately, but I haven't actually seen the Sox play for several days. I've just been scanning box scores.

Does anyone who has been watching have any feedback or information about Bobby? Perhaps it's nothing...everyone will blow a save or give up a gopher ball now and then.

Thanks...

Maybe this is just my opinion, but I will completely shrug off the home run tonight. As a closer, with a three run lead, your job is to get outs and make the other team put the ball in play. A solo home run is really no big deal. Other than the home run, he looked filthy tonight. I'm not concerned.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-04-2006, 10:39 PM

Thanks...

When is fastball is down it is deadly with him. Think Vizcaino in Game 2 of WS. Besides that he is the most dominant closer in the game.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-04-2006, 10:57 PM
This was a huge win!

Beating Halladay
Great defense
Excellent baserunning
Timely hitting

From the Sox, nothing. Great game.

From Cleveland, that they not blow lead after lead to teams the Sox are competing with? I haven't searched Talking Baseball but I'm sure there was some good reason for the Jnjuns to trade away their closer.

voodoochile
08-04-2006, 11:07 PM

Thanks...

There is an adjustment factor in play here, IMO. Teams realize they aren't going to pull his fastball consistenly and be successful, so it looks like teams are consciously trying to go the other way. That means when he gets one out over the plate, it gets hit hard. Tonight's pitch was a no doubt about it opposite field jack that was on the outer half and pretty straight. It got killed.

It might be a concern if they cannot figure out how to adjust back, perhaps they need to start working inside again, because then the other team will simply popup when they try to go the other way.

billyvsox
08-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Effin TRIBE is killing me (3 blown games this week already)

Orioles and D'Rays blow leads against Yanks and Bosox

The Twins just hit back to back homers to open the 9th and tie KC

*** is going on????

Could wind up being just a day off the schedule

LuzinskiFan
08-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Just got back from the game tonight, White Sox Army did us proud with "Lets go White Sox" chants throughout the Rogers Centre. Felt great to beat Halladay.

TornLabrum
08-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Just got back from the game tonight, the White Sox Army did us proud with "Lets go White Sox" chants throughout the Rogers Centre. Felt great to beat Halladay.

I fixed that for you.

slobes
08-04-2006, 11:41 PM
This one feels great. Beating Halladay in game 1 of a series will always be a real accomplishment. Let's get a sweep here guys.

SOXPHILE
08-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Nice game, guys. Got a little itchy & twitchy with that 3 run 1st, especially with "Doc" Halladay pitching. Way to battle back. Nice way to kick off the weekend.

-Looks like no help from the Royal. 8-5 Twinks in the bottom of the 10th.:angry:

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2006, 12:52 AM
There is an adjustment factor in play here, IMO. Teams realize they aren't going to pull his fastball consistenly and be successful, so it looks like teams are consciously trying to go the other way. That means when he gets one out over the plate, it gets hit hard. Tonight's pitch was a no doubt about it opposite field jack that was on the outer half and pretty straight. It got killed.

It might be a concern if they cannot figure out how to adjust back, perhaps they need to start working inside again, because then the other team will simply popup when they try to go the other way.Meh. It looked to me like Glaus just guessed right. It's easy to fall into a pattern when something is working. They just went to the well one too many times.

SoxShirt
08-05-2006, 01:23 AM
WOW! Today was an AWESOME day!!!! The sox win, and I got Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson's autographs!! (and a picture with Brian too!!!!) :D::D::D::D::cool::D::D::D::D::D:

Patrick134
08-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Meh. It looked to me like Glaus just guessed right. It's easy to fall into a pattern when something is working. They just went to the well one too many times.

Also, when you're pitching with a 3 run lead in the 9th and nobody on, you go right at guys, basucally saying " here it is , hit it at somebody." I'd rather see meaninless solo shots than walks. In this day of fantasy baseball people get caught up in stats and ERA's. It's a save, job accomplished.

Frankfan4life
08-05-2006, 04:20 AM
Great game. Great post-game thread. Most of the comments tonight were spot-on. Excellent showing against the tough Halladay. The Sox of 2006 showed what they are capable of tonight. AWESOME!

Dan H
08-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Effin TRIBE is killing me (3 blown games this week already)

Orioles and D'Rays blow leads against Yanks and Bosox

The Twins just hit back to back homers to open the 9th and tie KC

*** is going on????

Could wind up being just a day off the schedule

The truth is that the Sox are going to have to beat these teams when they face them. Expecting help in unrealistic. At least the Wild Card is close. I just hope the Sox didn't dig themselves too big a hole against the Tigers. I was travelling so I didn't see the Toronto. Sounds like it was a great win. The Sox are going to need plenty more.

MadetoOrta
08-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Verlander is hurt, Santana got roughed up by Kansas City and Boston is truly beat up. If we get on a roll, we should be fine. Remember, historically the rule of thumb in baseball is to be within 5 games on LABOR DAY. I think we can make up 3 games by then.

Go get 'em tonight!

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Verlander is hurt, Santana got roughed up by Kansas City and Boston is truly beat up. If we get on a roll, we should be fine. Remember, historically the rule of thumb in baseball is to be within 5 games on LABOR DAY. I think we can make up 3 games by then.

Go get 'em tonight!The Sox have 10 H2H games with the Kittens, 6 at home. It would be nice to win 8 of them, but realistically, IMO if they can't win 6 of them, they don't deserve it anyway. That's only a 2-game gain, so they'd need to make up 6 games elsewhere. They'll need a few breaks, but it's doable.

0o0o0
08-05-2006, 10:48 AM
I was at the game last night:

1) Ozzie: During games is not when Mack should work on his CF play.

2) Blue Jay fans love the wave. :(:

3) After the Glaus homer in the 1st, some dope behind me said "Better make sure to bring the brooms on Sunday." :rolleyes: :D:

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2006, 10:53 AM
3) After the Glaus homer in the 1st, some dope behind me said "Better make sure to bring the brooms on Sunday." :rolleyes: :D:He could be right.:smile::smile:

0o0o0
08-05-2006, 10:56 AM
He could be right.:smile::smile:

Nice. :D:

TornLabrum
08-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Observation: Four pages in 13 hours as we're now 5 out of our last 7 vs. nearly 40 pages after several games in the losing streak.

Conclusion: Sox fans love to bitch and moan.

Frankfan4life
08-05-2006, 01:43 PM
I was at the game last night:

1) Ozzie: During games is not when Mack should work on his CF play.

2) Blue Jay fans love the wave. :(:

3) After the Glaus homer in the 1st, some dope behind me said "Better make sure to bring the brooms on Sunday." :rolleyes: :D:How about those Michael Barrett chants during AJ's first at bat? The Blue Jays fans were trying to get to AJ. But, AJ seems to feed off of stuff like that. A lead-off and eventually scoring base hit and a three-run homer was a great way to shut them up! Hopefully, the Blue Jays fans will "encourage" AJ again.

SoxSpeed22
08-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Observation: Four pages in 13 hours as we're now 5 out of our last 7 vs. nearly 40 pages after several games in the losing streak.

Conclusion: Sox fans love to bitch and moan.I should take note of this... :whistle: