PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Orioles

eastchicagosoxfan
08-04-2006, 07:18 PM
What's happened to the Orioles over the past 10-15 years? From 1964 to 1983 this team was very good every year, and great several years. After 1983 they were good for a few years, but the past decade or so, they've only been saved from the cellar by the Devil Rays. What happened? What changed?

Oblong
08-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Peter Angelos?

When I think of the Orioles of the past 10 years I think of players with fat contracts that are 2 years past their prime.

batmanZoSo
08-04-2006, 07:46 PM
That's a good question I don't know. Well, bad management, obviously, but I wasn't around for the Palmer/Cuellar/McNally/Robinson/Robinson days. They used to be a great organization--The Oriole Way. Now it means "to suck ass."

LongLiveFisk
08-04-2006, 07:52 PM
They're stuck in the Yankees and Red Sox division, wasting away. When was the last time those teams didn't finish 1 & 2 in the AL East? Other teams in that division are going to have a tough go at it if they don't spend and spend wisely.

Oblong
08-04-2006, 08:09 PM
If not for Jeffrey Maier this thread may not be necessary.

Daver
08-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Peter Angelos?

You hit the nail on the head.

Peter tried to run his team like a fantasy baseball team when he acquired it, and drove most of the solid management out of the front office. In the last few years he has gotten some decent baseball people back into the management, and has backed away from operations, but it takes awhile to undo ten years worth of bad decisions.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-04-2006, 08:25 PM

Peter tried to run his team like a fantasy baseball team when he acquired it, and drove most of the solid management out of the front office. In the last few years he has gotten some decent baseball people back into the management, and has backed away from operations, but it takes awhile to undo ten years worth of bad decisions.
Does anyone know if they've produced anyone from their farm system? Whether he stayed with the team or not? In regards to Boston and New York, I thought Angelos had deep pockets too?

StatHead21
08-04-2006, 08:47 PM
They are batting Fernando Tatis 2nd tonight, that pretty much sums up the past 10 years.

TheKittle
08-04-2006, 09:46 PM

That's part of it. Since he bought the team in 93-94 he's turned the team into piss poor organization.

But a few things in history lead up to the Orioles downfall.

Free agency. The Orioles lost Bobby Grich, Wayne Garland (though he didn't do jack after), and Reggie Jackson to FA. And you might as well include Don Baylor since he was traded for Reggie. Reggie won 2 WS with the Yankees, Baylor wins the MVP in 79, Grich is an AS and gold glover, you can continue to lose that kind of talent every year.

Bad drafts in the 70's and 80's. At one time during the 80's the once great Orioles farm system had only produced Ripken and Rich Dauer. All others were FA signings or acquired through trades.

Bad trades. Schilling, Harnish, and Finley for Glenn Davis. Need I say more? At one time the Orioles got Singleton and Mike Torrez for a washed up Dave McNally.

Bad FA signings. Fred Lynn, Lee Lacy, Alan the Drug Addict Wiggins, Don Aase FA signins of the 80's really destroyed that team.

Bad decisions. Dennis Martinez had an alcohol problem. Instead of sticking with him, they let him go. Martinez would turn things around and pitch into the 90's.

Can't miss prospects, actually missing. Mike Young, great 84 season but didn't do jack after.

The 83 team growing old, quickly. By the start of 85, Palmer, Singleton, Bumbry, were gone. All key players on the 83 team.

EB Williams the owner, had cancer. He wasn't going to be around if the Orioles started a rebuilding project, so the FA signings came around.

Camden Yards. Where once the Orioles were built around pitching and defense, Camden Yards changed the focuse to hitting the hell out of park.

The Baltimore Colts curse. Ok maybe it would be hard to believe but after the Baltimore Colts were stolen by that ****ing bastard, in the middle of the night the Orioles went to hell. They didn't return to the playoffs until 1996, when the Baltimore Ravens came to Baltimore. Hmmmmmmm

Of course the Midget has caused all the recent problems. Sell or Hell Pete.

Brian26
08-04-2006, 09:51 PM

Sounds like he still dabbles though. Did you see the reports that he nixed the Tejada trade to the Angels for Santana and the Aybar prospect? Absolutely nuts.

PKalltheway
08-05-2006, 02:06 AM
If not for Jeffrey Maier this thread may not be necessary.
Well, I don't know. The Orioles the following year actually had a better year. IIRC, they had 98 wins and went wire to wire in the AL East that year. They had a hell of a team that year. They just didn't have enough to push themselves over the top, in '96 or in '97.

Railsplitter
08-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Peter Angelos?

When I think of the Orioles of the past 10 years I think of players with fat contracts that are 2 years past their prime.
More money than brains is a good way to describe Angelos.