PDA

View Full Version : Tiger's Sign Andrew Miller

Tiger Style
08-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Miller signs
DETROIT -- The Tigers got first-round pick Andrew Miller signed today. 4-year big-league contract, for slightly more than the $5.3 mill that KC guaranteed top pick Luke Hochevar.

The college player of the year is a young 6'6 Randy Johnson type of pitcher. Since he has signed the Tigers can now call him up, and he could be pitching in the Big Leagues by September.

08-04-2006, 05:30 PM
He looked very good in the College WS. I think he might need a little more seasoning in the minors first. September seems like a stretch.

Tiger Style
08-04-2006, 05:31 PM
He looked very good in the College WS. I think he might need a little more seasoning in the minors first. September seems like a stretch.

I agree, but it's a possibility..

08-04-2006, 05:33 PM
I agree, but it's a possibility..

A pennent chase is no time to start testing out a rookie.

Mickster
08-04-2006, 05:35 PM
http://www.gonsalves.org/favorite/chris.jpg
"Now you Tiger fans are probably saying to yourselves "hey, I'm gonna go out and GET THE WORLD BY THE TAIL and wrap it around and pull it down and put it in my pocket. Well I'm here to tell you that you're probably going to find-- as you go out there-- that you're not going to amount to JACK SQUAT!"

Tiger Style
08-04-2006, 05:36 PM
A pennent chase is no time to start testing out a rookie.

They are talking about bringing him out of the bullpen, not to start...

Taliesinrk
08-04-2006, 05:50 PM
They are talking about bringing him out of the bullpen, not to start...

I don't care if they're talking about having him sell peanuts... I can't possibly imagine the Tigers using him unless they for some reason need to rest some of their BP guys and have a 10+ game lead in mid-late September... He just left COLLEGE!!

RealMenWearBlack
08-04-2006, 05:51 PM
"Now you Tiger fans are probably saying to yourselves "hey, I'm gonna go out and GET THE WORLD BY THE TAIL and wrap it around and pull it down and put it in my pocket. Well I'm here to tell you that you're probably going to find-- as you go out there-- that you're not going to amount to JACK SQUAT!"
:rolling:

It looks like kittle42 is going to have to change his sig (see the title).

Oblong
08-04-2006, 06:11 PM

That made me laugh.

MarySwiss
08-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Miller signs
DETROIT -- The Tigers got first-round pick Andrew Miller signed today. 4-year big-league contract, for slightly more than the $5.3 mill that KC guaranteed top pick Luke Hochevar.

The college player of the year is a young 6'6 Randy Johnson type of pitcher. Since he has signed the Tigers can now call him up, and he could be pitching in the Big Leagues by September.

Your point?

beckett21
08-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Your point?
Allow me.

:whocares

MarySwiss
08-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Allow me.

By all means, sir! :D:

Tiger Style
08-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Your point?

Just talking baseball...

That is what this forum is for, right? :rolleyes:

MarySwiss
08-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Just talking baseball...

Well, okay. Sure, why not? After all, other posters (hello, Fenway?) often post this same kind of crap, er, info.

So, knock yourself out!

Tiger Style
08-04-2006, 07:05 PM
The Tigers announced they had agreed to terms with Miller on a major league contract that is believed to include a $3.55 million bonus and a guaranteed September callup. According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the contract guarantees Miller more than $5.4 million, and with escalator clauses tied to his presence on the 25-man roster, Miller could earn nearly $7.5 million. His contract also allows him to opt out early for arbitration.

TheOldRoman
08-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Tiger's sign? Which Tiger? Tiger Woods?

So, let me get this straight, Tiger Woods made a sign of some sort and wrote "Andrew Miller" on it?:dunno:

TheDarkGundam
08-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Just talking baseball...

The "Talking Baseball" forum is for the Sox fans here at WSI to discuss baseball in general, without focusing on our mutual favorite team.
Let's see if you can figure out which part of that you don't fit in to...
(Hint: It's the part about being Sox fans)

MarySwiss
08-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Tiger's sign? Which Tiger? Tiger Woods?

So, let me get this straight, Tiger Woods made a sign of some sort and wrote "Andrew Miller" on it?:dunno:

THANK YOU!

MadetoOrta
08-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Be happy for the Tigers and hope we never find ourselves in the position to have the 2d pick in the draft.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I thought only cub fans misused apostrophes

voodoochile
08-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Just talking baseball...

Bull****

You'e bragging. It's called trolling. No one here wants to read about top Tiger prospect signings in the middle of a pennant race between the two teams. Go tell it on a Kittens fan board, no one here gives a crap and if they do, they will pursue it on the other site.

MarySwiss
08-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Bull****

You'e bragging. It's called trolling. No one here wants to read about top Tiger prospect signings in the middle of a pennant race between the two teams. Go tell it on a Kittens fan board, no one here gives a crap and if they do, they will pursue it on the other site.

Thanks, VC. But I'd really appreciate it if you mods could publish a position paper or something to let the rest of us know what is and is not acceptable. I've been slam-dunked once or twice--I believe I was recently referred to as a "bully" by a mod--for comments that I thought were moderate.

whitesoxwilkes
08-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, okay. Sure, why not? After all, other posters (hello, Fenway?) often post this same kind of crap, er, info.

So, knock yourself out!

Mary, please. Leave the moderating to the mods and lay off the personal attacks for ****'s sake.

voodoochile
08-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Mary, please. Leave the moderating to the mods and lay off the personal attacks for ****'s sake.

There it is. Mods are allowed to bully, because it is part of how we keep the peace.

MarySwiss
08-04-2006, 09:16 PM
What personal attacks?

StatHead21
08-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Wow, the hostility over a Tiger fan posting news on a message board amazes me.

Miller will get called up but I doubt he'll pitch 1 meaningful inning, if any.

kwolf68
08-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Being in the Mid-Atlantic and being an NC State grad, I can tell you that Miller is the goods.

He already has two pitches that are Major League ready....Mid to high 90s fastball and a beyond brutal slider. He is smart, heady, and a great competitor.

The only thing he lacks is experience and knowledge...I do wish the White Sox could have drafted someone that was this potentially dominant...trouble is, we just haven't sucked like Detroit has.

Tiger Style
08-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Wow, the hostility over a Tiger fan posting news on a message board amazes me.

Miller will get called up but I doubt he'll pitch 1 meaningful inning, if any.

Thanks, I just thought they may like to know what thier main competition was up to... At least I'd want to know if I was a Sox fan.

cwsfannick
08-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks, I just thought they may like to know what thier main competition was up to... At least I'd want to know if I was a Sox fan.

Fantastic. The Tigers signed thier first round draft choice. Do you think if I went on MotownTigers.com and posted that the Sox just signed thier draft choices that for 1. anyone would care and 2. Thier members wouldn't respond in the same way. Come on get real.

Tiger Style
08-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Fantastic. The Tigers signed thier first round draft choice. Do you think if I went on MotownTigers.com and posted that the Sox just signed thier draft choices that for 1. anyone would care and 2. Thier members wouldn't respond in the same way. Come on get real.

I wouldn't care if it was just any prospect, but this guy has potential to be pretty good in the future, as well as contribute this year.

TornLabrum
08-04-2006, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't care if it was just any prospect, but this guy has potential to be pretty good in the future, as well as contribute this year.
I think you're being pretty optimistic about the contributing this year part. If the Tigers are in the heat of a pennant race come September, Leyland is not going to rely on a guy who is a few months removed from pitching in college for anything except mop-up work.

We now return you to reality, already in progress.

chisoxmike
08-04-2006, 10:36 PM
The Tigers announced they had agreed to terms with Miller on a major league contract that is believed to include a $3.55 million bonus and a guaranteed September callup. According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the contract guarantees Miller more than $5.4 million, and with escalator clauses tied to his presence on the 25-man roster, Miller could earn nearly $7.5 million. His contract also allows him to opt out early for arbitration.

cwsfannick
08-04-2006, 10:55 PM

Unless this kid is going to replace Kenny Rogers in the rotation, then I don't see him contributing this year. A prospect is just that a prospect. I wish the young man well, but I am guessing it will awhile before you see him in a major league uniform

kwolf68
08-05-2006, 12:30 AM
While I do believe Miller is very good, you have to be an idiot to think he will contribute this year.

He got rocked in several games late in the season against KIDS....he isn't ready to facing Major League talent.

Detroit would be foolish to bring him to the bigs right now. He is going to be very good...Think a possible more nasty Steve Carlton...but that is not happening this year. I think Detroit got one of the best pitchers we've seen in a decade, this kid is very good.

Oblong
08-05-2006, 01:02 AM
While I do believe Miller is very good, you have to be an idiot to think he will contribute this year.

He got rocked in several games late in the season against KIDS....he isn't ready to facing Major League talent.

Detroit would be foolish to bring him to the bigs right now. He is going to be very good...Think a possible more nasty Steve Carlton...but that is not happening this year. I think Detroit got one of the best pitchers we've seen in a decade, this kid is very good.

That's how I feel. He'll just come in mop up situations as someone said.

Has any major league pitcher ever went from college to the major leagues within a few months and had succes? I can't think of any. Last year Verlander made 2 spot starts in July, after signing his contract right at the deadline in he fall of 2004, and got rocked pretty good.

The "playing in Sept" portion of the signing was just a negotiating thing to get the deal done.

Taliesinrk
08-05-2006, 11:51 AM
There we go.. the last few posts have been more in the "WSI spirit".. I'm glad we're all getting along now.. If we really want to talk about the Tigers though, could we discuss how I would like to take the Tribe's bullpen out back and beat them senseless? How are we supposed to do anything when everyone seems to hand DET wins?!?

Deebs14
08-05-2006, 01:26 PM
http://www.uncut.at/data/personen-big/adam-sandler.jpg

"That was a little easy, why don't you just give em the trophy?!"

SOXintheBURGH
08-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I care.

Tigers = Rival.

Miller = Really good, apparently.

What rivals do will impact the Sox.

beckett21
08-05-2006, 04:11 PM
I care.

Tigers = Rival.

Miller = Really good, apparently.

What rivals do will impact the Sox.

Scott Ruffcorn was really good, too. :redneck

Not to say that Miller is the next Ruffcorn, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over him yet. :cool:

HawkDJ
08-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Miller's definitely still raw, I'm not worried about his impact on us this year.

Beautox
08-06-2006, 08:15 AM

Has any major league pitcher ever went from college to the major leagues within a few months and had succes? I can't think of any. Last year Verlander made 2 spot starts in July, after signing his contract right at the deadline in he fall of 2004, and got rocked pretty good.

The "playing in Sept" portion of the signing was just a negotiating thing to get the deal done.

I wanna say Ryan Wagner, the reds 2003 1st round choice, i believe when he first came up he had great success. He was supposed to be their lights out closer of the future but he fell in love with his + slider and didn't get ahead of hitters, he was traded to the nats, and if he can get it straightend out watch out.

Taliesinrk
08-06-2006, 10:26 AM
There we go.. the last few posts have been more in the "WSI spirit".. I'm glad we're all getting along now.. If we really want to talk about the Tigers though, could we discuss how I would like to take the Tribe's bullpen out back and beat them senseless? How are we supposed to do anything when everyone seems to hand DET wins?!?

oh cool.. i can reply to a post by me. why can i do that? because once again, I was reminded of the fact that the Indians bullpen ****ING SUCKS.. son of a bitch...

caulfield12
08-06-2006, 11:02 AM
We want to do what's best for Fausto," said Wedge. "We want to do what's best for us. We still feel he's capable of closing. He's had a tough stretch. We'll see how we can help him."

So, will Carmona pitch the ninth today against Detroit in a save situation?
"We're not going to make a decision like this on a whim. . . . 10 minutes after the game," said Wedge.

"We'll meet and see what's best for Carmona. We still have confidence in him."
from cleveland.com

the gooch
08-08-2006, 11:14 AM

Wasn't the messiah a few months removed from college when he made his debut?

Tiger23
08-08-2006, 02:11 PM

Well they are foolish then. The Tigers used the position their team is currently in as abargaining chip,telling Mr. Miller all he has to do is sign on that dotted line and by September 1 of this year he will be accompanying the team through the last month of a pennant race and hopefully the posteason. The contributions this year are very far fetched (do consider K-Rod though, who I believe had very little experience and was a September call-up). However, he will be in the major leagues this year barring any set backs.

EDIT: And I see Oblong already covered this.

FloridaTigers
08-08-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't see much wrong pitching him in mop-up blowout or blownout games in September. But to have this kid in the post-season is insane.