PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8-5

Lip Man 1
08-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Ah... Bart Johnson, one of the true 'flakes' in White Sox history.

:D:

August 5, 1977- In the first game of a key series with the Royals, pitcher Bart Johnson and Royals catcher Darrell Porter get into a shoving match along the first base line in the 3rd inning. In the 6th inning when Porter is coming up to bat, Johnson steps off the mound and yells out "do you want it now?" and a brawl takes place.

Bart lives in Oak Lawn and he is one of the guys that I'd love to interview but I've never been able to find a listed phone number for him!

Lip

NoNeckEra
08-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Ah... Bart Johnson, one of the true 'flakes' in White Sox history.

:D:

August 5, 1977- In the first game of a key series with the Royals, pitcher Bart Johnson and Royals catcher Darrell Porter get into a shoving match along the first base line in the 3rd inning. In the 6th inning when Porter is coming up to bat, Johnson steps off the mound and yells out "do you want it now?" and a brawl takes place.

Bart lives in Oak Lawn and he is one of the guys that I'd love to interview but I've never been able to find a listed phone number for him!

Lip
Bart is seen, afro hairdo and all, in numerous photos, shown in the upper deck concourse, including the one showing the beer case stacking contest.

Chez
08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Bart Johnson -- another name in a long line of "can't miss" Sox prospects who, in fact, missed.

southside rocks
08-04-2006, 04:29 PM

Lip

Is he still a scout for the Devil Rays? If so, maybe the club would give you a contact number for him?

I'd love to read an interview with him; the last one I saw was a couple of years ago when the Sun-Times did a 'where are they now' piece and included him.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Chez:

He did have some very good seasons though which is why it's regretable that he wasn't able to consistently stay good. 1971 and 1974 were his best seasons (and 74 was done in only a half season...)

The distractions I think were the biggest issue, he was an emotional guy and took slights and such as personal insults which often were blown up way out of proportion.

Lip

kwolf68
08-05-2006, 12:08 PM
August 5th for me circa 1983 ... White Sox at Baltimore on Brooks Robinson night. Long rain delay...Sox lead entire way and when Baines hit a solo in the top of the 9th to put the Sox up 4-2 I thought it was over...

But the bottom of the 9th inning was one of the worse slow-death innings I've ever experienced. Lead off single, erased on a double play and then the Orioles had 5 or 6 straight two-out singles (many of the punch and judy variety) to take the Sox 5-4.

I was actually heading to a baseball camp the that weekend and had the game been rained out my mother said we'd have stayed and watch the Saturday game (which the Sox would win). Despite the great starting staff of the 83 Sox, the starter in that game was Randy Martz...Randy freaking Martz. Oh well, it was my first White Sox game ever so it holds a good memory at least to that end.

TDog
08-05-2006, 02:07 PM
... Despite the great starting staff of the 83 Sox, the starter in that game was Randy Martz...Randy freaking Martz. Oh well, it was my first White Sox game ever so it holds a good memory at least to that end.

If Randy Martz were still young and was held now in the regard he was held then, and he were in the current White Sox bullpen, fans would be screaming to start him ahead of Vazquez, Garcia, Buehrle ....

Brit Burns was a .500 pitcher in 1983 and pitched the game of his career in October. Three other starters had their best seasons, by some standards. There was no fifth starter in those days, but sometimes pitchers like Randy Martz had to make spot starts.

Brian26
08-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I was actually heading to a baseball camp the that weekend and had the game been rained out my mother said we'd have stayed and watch the Saturday game (which the Sox would win). Despite the great starting staff of the 83 Sox, the starter in that game was Randy Martz...Randy freaking Martz. Oh well, it was my first White Sox game ever so it holds a good memory at least to that end.

Randy Martz started that late in the season for the Sox in '83? That can't be correct. I always thought that neither he nor Steve Mura pitched a game on the '83 team (even though both guys looked like pretty good fits).

Edit: Nevermind, you were correct. I just checked Retrosheet. Martz pitched in one game in '83, on August 5th....only 5 innings for the entire season. He never pitched again. That's bizzare. I have no memory of that...I'm assuming someone was hurt? Was it Burns?

slobes
08-05-2006, 06:38 PM
August 5, 2006- Javier Vasquez pitches a brilliant 8 inning, 1 run, 2 hit masterpiece in Toronto. He punches out 13 Jays on strikes and walks 2. This is the first of 7 consecutive wins for Vasquez, the last of which clinches the the Central Division for the Sox.

starboy0
08-05-2006, 09:34 PM
I vividly remember that game involving Bart and Porter. It was a play where Bart had to go over to take the throw and make the put out at first. With Bart's back to Porter to take the throw, Porter took both fists and punched Bart in the back as he approached the base.

At least that's how I remember it. Anyone else remember it that way?

Lip Man 1
08-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Martz was called up to start that game on the 5th because the Sox had a make up DH in Detroit later on in the same road trip.

That shows you how deep the Sox starting rotation was during that time frame. Martz was a double figure winner with the Cubs, Mura was a regular starter and pitched in the World Series with the Cardinals.. neither could crack the Sox rotation.

Starboy:

My video of the play shows Porter running into him from behind at first base. Porter kept running down the line, while Bart turned, threw his glove down and started walking towards him. The late Dick Howser saw trouble was brewing and from his first base coaching box, ran between them. (Which took some guts since Howser was small in stature...)

Lip

Brian26
08-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Martz was called up to start that game on the 5th because the Sox had a make up DH in Detroit later on in the same road trip.

That shows you how deep the Sox starting rotation was during that time frame. Martz was a double figure winner with the Cubs, Mura was a regular starter and pitched in the World Series with the Cardinals.. neither could crack the Sox rotation.

Lip

Another interesting tidbit...
Both guys were released by the Sox on the same date. Martz and Mura were released on March 26, 1984.

Chez
08-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Chez:

He did have some very good seasons though which is why it's regretable that he wasn't able to consistently stay good. 1971 and 1974 were his best seasons (and 74 was done in only a half season...)

The distractions I think were the biggest issue, he was an emotional guy and took slights and such as personal insults which often were blown up way out of proportion.

Lip
Lip:
Agreed; Bart wasn't a complete bust-out like say Ruffcorn and Rausch (and others); but he never came close to fulfilling his potential.

Chez

kwolf68
08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Randy Martz started that late in the season for the Sox in '83? That can't be correct. I always thought that neither he nor Steve Mura pitched a game on the '83 team (even though both guys looked like pretty good fits).

Edit: Nevermind, you were correct. I just checked Retrosheet. Martz pitched in one game in '83, on August 5th....only 5 innings for the entire season. He never pitched again. That's bizzare. I have no memory of that...I'm assuming someone was hurt? Was it Burns?

Yea, I knew Martz had pitched the game. I remember being so disapointed that I didn't get to see Hoyt, Bannister, or Dot.

Britt Burns was hurt quite a bit in 1983, but I do believe Burns was actually active for that game, but was pitching out the pen. I could be wrong about that though.

Maybe he had just been activated or something, or they were bringing him back slowly, but somehow in my head Burns was active and dressed for that game (unfortunately, of the autographs I got most of the players were not bullpen guys, so I never even saw Burns that I know of, but I seem to think he was active).

Britt Burns by 1983 had been realized to have some hip problem I think and his career quickly spiraled down and out.

His performance in game 4 of the ALCS was one of the most heroic performances I've ever seen and its a shame the Sox blew a couple nice opportunities late in that game to get Burns a win.

Had the Sox gotten it back to the deciding game 5 (Hoyt v McGreagor) I believe we'd have had a real chance to win it all that year. Oh well...

I loved that season so much...I remember I went to camp, came back and the Sox had won like 7 straight or something after that loss...my mom had saved all the papers and it was reading those papers a week later when I really felt like that team had what it took to do special things...the pitching really came together (at least the rotation).

Fun season.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Britt had a terrific 1985 season basically his last in the big leagues.

Lip

jackbrohamer
08-07-2006, 03:46 PM
My video of the play shows Porter running into him from behind at first base. Porter kept running down the line, while Bart turned, threw his glove down and started walking towards him. The late Dick Howser saw trouble was brewing and from his first base coaching box, ran between them. (Which took some guts since Howser was small in stature...)Lip

IIRC, Johnson had chronic back problems and said aferwards that when Porter hit him he felt spasms or something in his back (I believe he called it a "clicking," which is a term that a flake like Johnson would use) which is why he went after Porter.