PDA

View Full Version : I don't watch the Sox when.....

paciorek1983
08-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Since the Sox will be in Toronto this weekend, I'm not as inclined to watch the games on tv. I really dislike artifical surfaces and domed stadiums. I've been watching baseball since the 70's and I've always found artificial grass and domed stadiums to feel like I'm watching "fake baseball".

The atmosphere seems so "blah." So, basically, when the Sox go to Toronto, Minnesota, Tampa Bay I tend not to watch. I even had a hard time watching the KC series since there was such a small crowd.

Anyone else have teams or situations when they tend not to watch the Sox?

Scottiehaswheels
08-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Nope... I've missed 1.5 games of ball since 2003... either TV or radio I'm there day in day out.... Worst days are the noon games on Fox when i just finish working a midnight shift... Zombieish the rest of the day

ode to veeck
08-03-2006, 10:15 PM
when I'm on the tennis court or cooking or sleeping

CallMeNuts
08-03-2006, 10:16 PM
when I'm on the tennis court or cooking or sleeping

Get TiVo and you won't have to miss any.

NoShoesJoe
08-03-2006, 10:17 PM
No. I'm interested in their play wherever they play.
:nuts:

slobes
08-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Nope... I've missed 1.5 games of ball since 2003... either TV or radio I'm there day in day out

Same here. I've made it a tradition to sneak a radio into Easter brunch so I can listen to the game. This past week I was in Boston with no internet, so I had to live with watching the BottomLine on ESPNews for Sox scores. It's the most antagonizing process I've ever been a part of.

NoShoesJoe
08-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Same here. I've made it a tradition to sneak a radio into Easter brunch so I can listen to the game. This past week I was in Boston with no internet, so I had to live with watching the BottomLine on ESPNews for Sox scores. It's the most antagonizing process I've ever been a part of.

Been there and done that too. In Boston too, 2 weeks ago in fact. Well, at least I had GD2006. Even that sucks.

Rdubb4
08-03-2006, 11:06 PM
I disagree. With the way life is, I am lucky to be able to sit down and watch 3 games from start to finish in any given week, and if I know I dont have anything to do between working and school and the Sox are on, you can bet I will be watching them.

buehrle4cy05
08-03-2006, 11:11 PM
If I'm not actually watching/at the game, I'm keeping track on my cell phone. It costs some $, but it's worth it.

Jurr
08-03-2006, 11:12 PM
I can't watch every game. You best damn believe it's not because of the "viewability" of the ballpark they're playing in. Work, meetings, or the future wife are what keeps me away from my Sox. That's about it.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-03-2006, 11:17 PM

I used to have a hard time watching them play the Mariners in the old Kingdome. However now I would say the ugliest parks in baseball are the domes in Minnesota and Tampa Bay. Nowadays the stadium they play in does not stop me from watching.

NDSox12
08-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Nope... I've missed 1.5 games of ball since 2003... either TV or radio I'm there day in day out.... Worst days are the noon games on Fox when i just finish working a midnight shift... Zombieish the rest of the day

All I can say is "wow".... impressive.

The Dude
08-03-2006, 11:37 PM
The only situation when I don't watch the Sox are when I'm working, at a Bears game, NASCAR event, or a Wedding/obligation.

WLL1855
08-03-2006, 11:46 PM

Yeah. I don't watch the games when I can't because MLB thinks I should be watching the stupid Cardinals game on FOX on Saturday afternoon.

Oh, wait. That's not what you meant. If I can get the game on TV, I watch the damn game.

ode to veeck
08-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Get TiVo and you won't have to miss any.

I've got HD Tivo but I usually find out who won and at best watch a few highlights off the recordings, mostly don't watch em unless its live

whitesoxfan
08-04-2006, 12:43 AM
If I'm not actually watching/at the game, I'm keeping track on my cell phone. It costs some $, but it's worth it.

Yep same here. Well worth the additional $ each month...

southwstchi4life
08-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Im a college student, I love the day games, great oppurtunity to ditch classes. Even in high school, dad would write me a note and we would watch the game or go to them. BUT I had to miss sox cubs at the cell this year, stood up for wedding, I was disappointed

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-04-2006, 01:09 AM
You don't watch the sox when they play in a dome? :?: I always watch them.

PKalltheway
08-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Last year and this year we've had Extra Innings, so I get almost every Sox game. Work and other obligations get in the way so I'm lucky if I get to watch two games in a week (this year more so than last year, when I could watch up to four games a week). Oh well, it's a lot better than before, when I could only watch Sox games when they came on WGN or the rare apperance on ESPN or FOX pre 2005. When I'm at work, I occasionally check up on the score of the game on my cell phone.

Erik The Red
08-04-2006, 02:07 AM
I even had a hard time watching the KC series since there was such a small crowd.
I don't see how ANYONE would have a hard time watching a game played at such a beautiful stadium.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-04-2006, 03:32 AM
...when ESPN decides not to let me watch.

jenn2080
08-04-2006, 07:18 AM
To be honest as of late I havent watched a full game. Its probably been a month. I would rather be productive while in this slump then sit on my couch for 3 hrs and be pissed off. So right now the Sox have given me incentive to clean when they give the lead up. Normally I watch everyone whether it is TV, radio, internet, cell, whatever.

thepaulbowski
08-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Unless I'm at the game, I don't usually watch the whole game. The game may be on, but I don't have the time to sit and just watch. Life gets in the way and that is OK.

peeonwrigley
08-04-2006, 07:39 AM
My viewership goes down usually from June 15 - August 15 or so. I still probably watch 65% of all games, but that is small compared to 99% at the beginning and end of the year. During summer I'm more likely to go out or want to be outside, so its more likely I'll miss some of the game.

I also go to the park less in the peak summer months. I hate sweating when viewing non-football sporting events.

mccoydp
08-04-2006, 08:36 AM
I used to watch 98% of the games each season since July 2003, but not anymore. Last year, I watched every game that was not blacked out. I'll watch them, slump or not, but external factors such as my heavy running schedule and graduate school just don't allow for it. I try to catch bits and pieces; if I miss a game, I watch the highlights on computer.

I didn't have broadband Internet until 2002, so, before then, I was reliant on WGN to watch the games, so I only got to see a few a month. When I lived in El Paso, Texas, I didn't even have WGN, so I had to catch up on the scores and highlights in the paper.

Mr.1Dog
08-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Only when I am out of town and can not be near a tv. Internet on the phone allows me to atleast keep track of the score.

Chips
08-04-2006, 08:48 AM
The only situation when I don't watch the Sox are when I'm working, at a Bears game, NASCAR event, or a Wedding/obligation.

The same for me. I'd like to add I don't watch the Sox when they are on cable and I am at the house.

batmanZoSo
08-04-2006, 09:35 AM
My viewership goes down usually from June 15 - August 15 or so. I still probably watch 65% of all games, but that is small compared to 99% at the beginning and end of the year. During summer I'm more likely to go out or want to be outside, so its more likely I'll miss some of the game.

I also go to the park less in the peak summer months. I hate sweating when viewing non-football sporting events.

I'm the same way. The first month I don't miss an inning, then it cools off. Coincidentally, the Sox usually do to around mid summer every year so it works out. When things are going really bad I tend to stop watching and block it out somewhat. I don't need to be miserable every night.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2006, 09:36 AM
I catch most of most games. But little basics aggravate me. My #1 walk- away: If we can't get a bunt down, then the hitter swings away and hits into a double play. The game then gets immediately turned off for at least 30 minutes. If a pitcher gives up a HR, hey that's gonna happen. I just can't stand when little league stuff can't get accomplished. I have to walk away otherwise I lose my mind and my wife pretty much hates me for the rest of the night.

Baby Fisk
08-04-2006, 01:59 PM
I watch the Sox wherever they play. It's the White Sox!

jdm2662
08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
It's easy for me to watch them now since I don't have much going on. Now, when I was reffing soccer, in grad school, working later, etc, it made it much harder. I don't really miss a game intentionally, but I don't revolve my schedule to watch the game, unless it's either a big game or a playoff game.

Timmy D's
08-04-2006, 05:11 PM
I rarely ever miss a game altogether, maybe 1 or 2 a year at best. If I cant watch I listen, or I'll tivo or tape it. Got XM last year so if I was out of area could still get game. Yes I'm the guy who has the FBI like earpiece at a wedding, funeral, whatever, listening to the game.:rolleyes: I'm a sicko!!

Johnny74
08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Some west coast games. I have to be at work at 6 am and those 9 oclock games can be brutal if I stay up to watch them, especially if they go extra innings. I usually put it on my alarm clock radio and fall asleep to the game.

digdagdug23
08-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I can't watch every game. You best damn believe it's not because of the "viewability" of the ballpark they're playing in. Work, meetings, or the future wife are what keeps me away from my Sox. That's about it.

2 words, prenuptial agreement. :roflmao:

You mean your patients would frown upon a crown during a game? I suppose a drill in the hands of an angry dentite would not be a good idea.

kwolf68
08-04-2006, 11:41 PM
The only time I don't watch the Sox is when....

--I'm heading toward divorce because I have spent too much time watching the Sox and not watching movies with the wife.

twentywontowin
08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
I wont watch the White Sox if the Bears happen to be on at the same time. We only get 20 football games a year, no way I'm going to miss one.

downstairs
08-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I think the poster meant s/he doesn't watch them on TV in those situations, but maybe does do the radio?

Anyhoo... I find TV annoying in the summer... I like to be out on the porch with a few cold ones... so its nearly always MLB.tv (radio) for me, through the laptop. Then I "tune in" to sportsline.com's live score page.

I love hawk and DJ, but just don't like being inside...

Deebs14
08-05-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm stuck at school with only WGN, ESPN and FOX as my only ways of being able to watch them on the tube. When they aren't on, I'm either following them online or having my pops or sister call/text me with updates if I'm in class or something.

I'm gonna miss not having Extra Innings when I go back up to school in a few weeks. :(:

ilsox7
08-05-2006, 12:16 PM
I pretty much watch them all unless I am travelling. Law school is cool like that, you have time to do whatever the hell you want for 3 years.

LauraJ14
08-05-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't watch when Vazquez is pitching, he makes me so aggreviated because of stupid 2 strike hits, meltdowns in the 5th inning etc.
I just check the score online or on ESPN and feel much better for that day.
So today I will be working while the game is going on!

Gavin
08-05-2006, 10:06 PM
I actually like watching games on artificial turf. I prefer the natural stuff, naturally (har), but I think it's pretty cool to see infielders sliding around trying to grab balls.

gosox3072
08-05-2006, 11:43 PM
So if the Blue Jays make the playoffs will you not watch the games b/c of the dome?........Come on dude, were in a pennant race, im more worried about seeing the sox win than who or where they are playing.

paciorek1983
08-06-2006, 12:36 AM
So if the Blue Jays make the playoffs will you not watch the games b/c of the dome?........Come on dude, were in a pennant race, im more worried about seeing the sox win than who or where they are playing.

No, I'd watch. After all, I did watch them in '93. But anyway, I actually have watched some of the action this weekend, even tho I hate the turf and the domeish atmosphere.

gbergman
08-06-2006, 12:52 AM
i DONT WATCH THE sOX WHEN I AM PREVENTED FROM WATCHING THEM OR UNABLE TO.

whitesoxfan87
08-07-2006, 12:29 AM
down at Purdue last year i couldn't watch any of the sox games unless they were on WGN, Fox, or ESPN until it was playoff times. Lets just say i was very angry and it was a tense last few weeks during the regular season

this year i get CSN, so the problem is fixed

MrRoboto83
08-07-2006, 12:52 AM
If I can't watch the Sox live, I will use my Tivo and try my hardest not to find out what happened in the game, so i can go home and enjoy the game as if it was live. I also do this if I miss the first 3 innings, I will watch from the beginning of the game, and usually catch up to the live game before it is over, by skipping though the commericals.

DoItForDanPasqua
08-07-2006, 03:15 AM

I work the graveyard as well. Those Fox games are too early for us.

Madvora
08-07-2006, 07:16 AM
I don't watch the Sox when...

They go down by 3 runs.

It was different earlier in the season when losses had no affect on me at all. Now, once that third run scores I turn the TV off. It doesn't seem like the Sox have the ability to make up any deficit anymore and watching them trailing any game is enough to give me a heart attack.