PDA

View Full Version : Is Jeff Weaver the Worst Starting Pitcher in Baseball?

RKMeibalane
08-03-2006, 10:14 PM
I was thinking about this during yesterday's ESPN telecast of the Phillies-Cardinals game. For years, we've been hearing about Jeff Weavers live arm, great stuff, upside, etc. And for years, we've seen Weaver piss himself in virtually every start he's ever made. Thus, the question needs to be asked, is Weaver the worst starter in baseball?

I'm sure that statisically, there are worse starting pitchers. But is there anyone who, having Weaver's talent, who has managed to pitch himself out the starting rotation of every team he's played for? Whether it was Detroit, New York, or both Los Angeles teams, Weaver has been given a starting spot in each team's rotation, only to lose it shortly afterwards.

As bad as Kerry Wood has been, at least he can point to arm problems as an excuse for his performance. Weaver appears to be fine physically, and yet he cotinues to suck. His mechanics are bad, and he doesn't appear to be focused on getting hitters out when he's on the mound. During last night's game, he looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.

Thoughts?

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I agree. It's weird, every time I see him pitch he looks fine, but for some odd reason, he sucks. :?:

Oblong
08-03-2006, 10:43 PM
What was the quote Crash Davis used against Nuke in Bull Durham? "Million dollar arm and a 5 cent head"? That's Jeff Weaver.

In his first game as a Cardinal against McCann with the bases loaded he thought he had strike 3 and he didn't get it. Then he pranced around the mound pouting. I've seen that a thousand times from him. I told my wife that he was going to now get hit and then McCann just absolutely crushed it for a Grand Slam.

buehrle4cy05
08-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Jeff Weaver's ERA has been higher since leaving the AL for the NL.

In 18.2 IP with the Cardinals, he has allowed 18 runs. His ERA is approaching 9, or 1 per inning.:o:

That's pretty bad. I guess his little brother didn't take any of his big brother's advice on pitching, though.

Jjav829
08-03-2006, 10:48 PM
No. He's having an incredibly bad year. Last year Jeff Weaver won 14 games and had a 4.22 ERA. The year before he won 13 with a 4.01 ERA. He failed in New York and has been bad this year. You make it sound like the guy has never experienced success in the majors.

DaleJRFan
08-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Is Jeff Weaver the Worst Starting Pitcher in Baseball?
Thoughts?

Probably not, as long as RA Dickey (http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=tex&playerID=285079) is still wearing a major league uniform.

2006: 0-1, 3.1 IP, 8 H, 7 ER, 6 HR

career: 16-19, 266 IP, 321 H, 169 ER, 46 HR

now THAT is bad...

santo=dorf
08-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Up until his last start you could make a strong case for the Cubs' young stud, "One Pitch" Rich Hill

Joe Mays is the worst even if he was released by the Royals in EARLY MAY, and released by the Reds IN JUNE

TDog
08-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Probably not, as long as RA Dickey (http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=tex&playerID=285079) is still wearing a major league uniform.

2006: 0-1, 3.1 IP, 8 H, 7 ER, 6 HR

career: 16-19, 266 IP, 321 H, 169 ER, 46 HR

now THAT is bad...

That is comically bad. His 2006 ratio of home runs allowed per inning this year is only slightly better than Liriano's ERA. I don't know what his ERA compares to, but Liriano, but Liriano has a great shot at the Cy Young Award if he gets that many wins.

rowand33
08-04-2006, 01:04 AM
I know he lost his starting job, but I'd like to nominate Russ Ortiz.

God he's bad.

How long will he hang around the league because he won 20 games a couple years back?

Huisj
08-04-2006, 02:27 AM
No. He's having an incredibly bad year. Last year Jeff Weaver won 14 games and had a 4.22 ERA. The year before he won 13 with a 4.01 ERA. He failed in New York and has been bad this year. You make it sound like the guy has never experienced success in the majors.

Not only that, but he was always ok with Detroit, and the year when they traded him to NY, he was in the middle of quite a good season. At the time of that trade, he was 6-8 (on a team that ended up going 55-106) with a 3.01 ERA. He had a few rough games the rest of that year with the Yankees, but still put up a 4.04 ERA. Then the next year he fell apart and was bad.

Something's definitely different about how he pitches now though. He doesn't have the snap in his arm or the intimidation he used to have with his different arm angle delivery. He doesn't attack inside the way he used to, and his nasty hard sidearm breaking balls he used to throw are just kind of loopy flat sliders now that hang a lot more. He looks out of it on the mound lately.

34rancher
08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Karma is a pain in the but for him and Bora$$. You have to wonder what he would have been like working with Coop...

Fenway
08-04-2006, 02:47 PM
One pitcher wins this award hands down

Jason Johnson currently 55-97 ( and sadly back in the Red Sox rotation)

Chez
08-04-2006, 04:13 PM
How about Bruce Chen? Is Jose Lima still on someone's roster?

FedEx227
08-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Bruce Chen is my pick. Why that man continues to get major league jobs is beyond me.

soxinem1
08-04-2006, 04:22 PM
http://images.bidville.com/uploads/2003.06.24/98-PIN-Navarro.jpg