Carlos Lee
Bob Howry
Aaron Rowand
Jon Garland
Lorenzo Barcelo

Sox get:

Cliff Floyd
Matt Clement

Clement gives the Sox another starter to help solidify the rotation and in Floyd the Sox get some left handed power they so desperately need.

The only Sox player I hate to see go is Garland but I think he has to be part of the deal to get Floyd.

Okay, let the bashing begin.............. :smile:

duke of dorwood
02-19-2002, 10:55 AM
:chunks

Spiff
02-19-2002, 10:58 AM
Yeh I think we would be giving up too much. Just Lee and Garland would be all I'd give.

moochpuppy
02-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
Yeh I think we would be giving up too much. Just Lee and Garland would be all I'd give.

Maybe, maybe not. Howry and Barcelo are coming off surgery and are question marks. Bringing in Floyd, the signing of Lofton, Borchard on the near horizon, I think Rowand becomes expendable. Floyd gives the Sox a left-handed power threat they haven't had since Burks. Clement would be a work horse as the number 3 or 4 starter have made over 30 starts in each of the last three seasons.

CF Lofton
2B Durham
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Floyd
1B Konerko
3B Valentin
C Alomar Jr.
SS Clayton

Buerhle
Ritchie
Parque
Clement
Wright ??

harwar
02-19-2002, 11:13 AM
If i were Fla. i'd jump on that deal.Of course thats only because i still believe that Garland & Lee are going to be superstars.Lee reminds me of a young Manny Ramirez and Garland is similar to a young Kevin Brown.Brown struggled for years down in texas before he found himself.Also,i would give almost anything not to have to see that puke picture anymore.One more thing.That being said,who wouldn't want Floyd on their roster.Hes' a local boy that won't be cheap next year.

doctor30th
02-19-2002, 11:44 AM
Well I think that it would be a horrible trade. You sure you didn't mean "Lackluster trade idea".

RichH55
02-19-2002, 11:52 AM
Floyd's offense numbers wont warrant tht(especially not with his contract)...you can expect to see significant gains from Lee and Garland this year, so dont deal them yet....Also, putting extra guys in deals(especially guys with upside or near the bottom of their value) is just bad business, unless it is addition by subtraction which I dotn really see as the case here.....Adding a big bat with ok D isn't exactly priority number one....I wouldn't have minded giving up a package in the vein for Giles(but a Starting Pitcher would seem to be higher on our list)

MattSharp
02-19-2002, 11:54 AM
I have to agree this trade sucks.

IMO Garland is the one young Sox starter who should be untouchable. I still think he will become the best of the bunch.

There are almost no players I would trade Garland for, especially these two.

Huisj
02-19-2002, 12:14 PM
Clement has a good arm, but he has really serious control problems, and is rather inconsistent because of it. His ERA has been on the rise every year since he was a rookie. I wouldn't be surprised to see Garland put together a better season than Clement, so I would definitely say no to this trade. And while Cliff Floyd would be a pretty cool player to have on the Sox (isn't he from Chicago area?), he is hurt an awful lot, and his numbers aren't going to be a ton better than Lee's probably. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno, but I'd say no to this trade.

RedPinStripes
02-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Marlins get:

Carlos Lee
Bob Howry
Aaron Rowand
Jon Garland
Lorenzo Barcelo

Sox get:

Cliff Floyd
Matt Clement

Clement gives the Sox another starter to help solidify the rotation and in Floyd the Sox get some left handed power they so desperately need.

The only Sox player I hate to see go is Garland but I think he has to be part of the deal to get Floyd.

Okay, let the bashing begin.............. :smile:

:b&b
"UHHHH HUH HUH. That Sucks!

kermittheefrog
02-19-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Clement has a good arm, but he has really serious control problems, and is rather inconsistent because of it. His ERA has been on the rise every year since he was a rookie. I wouldn't be surprised to see Garland put together a better season than Clement, so I would definitely say no to this trade. And while Cliff Floyd would be a pretty cool player to have on the Sox (isn't he from Chicago area?), he is hurt an awful lot, and his numbers aren't going to be a ton better than Lee's probably. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno, but I'd say no to this trade.

I agree with pretty much everything Huisj said. Floyd had a career year last year in large parts because he set a career high in walks and he stayed healthy. Well damn near a third of his walks were intentional and he's never been healthy before. There isn't a chance in hell that Lee will become another Manny Ramirez but he could hit .300 with 70 extra base hits which woudl be damn good. And Clement? *yetch* This guy hasn't been able to come close to the zone and is a 5-6 inning guy. He'd be like having Garland in 3 years if Garland doesn't get any better.

RichH55
02-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I agree with pretty much everything Huisj said. Floyd had a career year last year in large parts because he set a career high in walks and he stayed healthy. Well damn near a third of his walks were intentional and he's never been healthy before. There isn't a chance in hell that Lee will become another Manny Ramirez but he could hit .300 with 70 extra base hits which woudl be damn good. And Clement? *yetch* This guy hasn't been able to come close to the zone and is a 5-6 inning guy. He'd be like having Garland in 3 years if Garland doesn't get any better.

Exactly....essentially we will have to make a move of the "blockbuster" type eventually IMO......Get the last piece, clear room with overcrowded prospects before they lose their value, etc, but we only really can afford to make one, so we better do it right, and with out hitting that deal is most likelyu going to need to focus on a starter all while hoping our young arms develop

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

Is there room for me?

:KW

That sounds like a great trade! Where's the phone?
:gulp:

voodoochile
02-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Sorry, Mooch... I vote no.

I don't mind some combination of Lee and pitchers to get Floyd, though I admit I am skeptical about whether he will continue his improvement, I don't want Clement and his 5+ career ERA (looks like a young JB in the making) over Garland at this point in his career. If We did acquire Clement, I would hope they would bench is ass and start Wright and Glover while moving Clement to the BP.

Barcelo is probably going to never be the same again after two major surgeries in the last few years. I would be surprised if he ever gets back to form (sorry West). That might just open up another can of worms about trading injured players.

I have to agree with whoever said that the one thing the Sox need is a veteran starter (preferably a genuine 1-3 starter). If they can acquire that, they are pennant contenders, IMO and then they should sit back and let teams come to them, because they will be able to afford to be patient.

FarWestChicago
02-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Barcelo is probably going to never be the same again after two major surgeries in the last few years. I would be surprised if he ever gets back to form (sorry West).Sigh, I have already accepted this unfortunate reality. Lorenzo will never become "The Great". The promise was there, but it's not going to happen. :(:

rmusacch
02-19-2002, 09:45 PM

Maybe, maybe not. Howry and Barcelo are coming off surgery and are question marks. Bringing in Floyd, the signing of Lofton, Borchard on the near horizon, I think Rowand becomes expendable. Floyd gives the Sox a left-handed power threat they haven't had since Burks. Clement would be a work horse as the number 3 or 4 starter have made over 30 starts in each of the last three seasons.

CF Lofton
2B Durham
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Floyd
1B Konerko
3B Valentin
C Alomar Jr.
SS Clayton

Buerhle
Ritchie
Parque
Clement
Wright ??

I say we wait until the offseason when Floyd is a free agent and try to sign him and give up nothing more than a draft pick. I know he is from the South Side but was he a Sox fan growing up?

RichH55
02-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

I say we wait until the offseason when Floyd is a free agent and try to sign him and give up nothing more than a draft pick. I know he is from the South Side but was he a Sox fan growing up?

If we have the money and are going to make a run for someone why not Erstad? CF and Lead-off hitter

Meatpants
02-20-2002, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't be making any moves until at least the All-Star break, unless things really fall apart before then. You need to see which/if any of these kids can pitch. If they can, we're all set. If they can't, then come midseason you package some pitchers, Rowand, etc. to get the best available SP, a la Appier or Neagle.

Champ Summers
02-20-2002, 06:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Floyd gives the Sox a left-handed power threat they haven't had since Burks. "

Burks is not left handed...

RedPinStripes
02-20-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Floyd gives the Sox a left-handed power threat they haven't had since Burks. "

Burks is not left handed...

We need a tag for when someone is wrong beside the Marriotti tag. Call it something like........"PICK YOUR FACE UP!" :smile:

guillen4life13
02-20-2002, 08:20 PM
not positive, but pretty sure burks is righty. then again, i'm not fully positive. i coulda sworn the only power hitting lefty in the toons lineup last year was thome.

i'm probably wrong.

guillen4life13
02-20-2002, 08:21 PM
sorry i didn't see the previous 2-3 posts on him being righty.