PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.....

Scottiehaswheels
08-03-2006, 09:07 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Avl3OE4RquwgBfZixQGK9CERvLYF?slug=ap-rangers-padillaarrest&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kub_Killer_15
08-03-2006, 09:12 PM
That is the saddest story I ever heard:cool:

MarySwiss
08-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Awwww, gosh damn. :smile:

itsnotrequired
08-03-2006, 09:33 PM
How many times was the cop HBP?

:redneck

buehrle4cy05
08-03-2006, 09:42 PM
So he's an ******* on and off the field!

Just another reason to hate that little ****er.

NoShoesJoe
08-03-2006, 10:09 PM
How many times was the cop HBP?

:redneck

Ha, Hit By Padilla? Too bad, so sad. :D:

TDog
08-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Did it really take the media in Dallas about four weeks to report it?

Scottiehaswheels
08-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Did it really take the media in Dallas about four weeks to report it?According to what I heard the Rangers didn't even find out about it til a couple days ago... So maybe Padilla was trying to hide it from them or something?

TDog
08-03-2006, 10:41 PM
According to what I heard the Rangers didn't even find out about it til a couple days ago... So maybe Padilla was trying to hide it from them or something?

Teams generally find out about these things from reporters when they call seeking comment. With newspapers in Dallas and Fort Worth, not to mention television and radio stations covering news and sports, and this happening in Dallas County, it is amazing this wasn't reported sooner.

infohawk
08-03-2006, 11:12 PM
:hawk
"Are you surprised? I told you that Padilla was a Hiney Bird!"

MrRoboto83
08-04-2006, 10:24 AM
poor guy

KMKsuburbannoise
08-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Ozzie can't say an anit-gay remark without getting fined but this guy can drink and drive and still get to play ball. That's odd!! I'm not saying that what Ozzie said was right, but drinking and driving is a lot worse.

TDog
08-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Ozzie can't say an anit-gay remark without getting fined but this guy can drink and drive and still get to play ball. That's odd!! I'm not saying that what Ozzie said was wrong, but drinking and driving is a lot worse.

I would have no problem with placing players on a restricted list if they are criminally charged with drunken driving, domestic-assault violence, drug charges etc. They would be paid until their case is adjudicated. If found guilty, they would be suspended and fined by baseball. In most cases they would plea-bargain for reduced charges, although many states don't allow deals on drunken driving charges. I don't know if there is a morals clause in the collective bargaining agreement that would allow this, but there should be. In the real world, people in high-profile positions charged with crimes often are placed on administrative leave.

If you don't want players to drink and drive, maybe the possibility sitting out the season waiting for your case to come to court would work as a deterrent. Drunken driving is much more offensive than any insensitive slur.

Tekijawa
08-04-2006, 12:44 PM
All I have to say is AJ is lucky he was in Boston and not walking around the streets of Arlington that weekend!:o:

jenn2080
08-04-2006, 12:49 PM
:gulp: what a ****ing idiot...couldnt have happened to a worst person.

thomas35forever
08-04-2006, 03:48 PM
What?! NO!!!!!!! I thought he was the nicest guy to ever play the game!

34rancher
08-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Ain't Karma a pain in the butt?

83 ALROY
08-04-2006, 04:11 PM
I love it when good things happen to good people, but not nearly as much as I love it when bad things happen to bad people.
:tongue:

QCIASOXFAN
08-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I love this story.:cool:

Rdubb4
08-04-2006, 04:55 PM
I would have no problem with placing players on a restricted list if they are criminally charged with drunken driving, domestic-assault violence, drug charges etc. They would be paid until their case is adjudicated. If found guilty, they would be suspended and fined by baseball. In most cases they would plea-bargain for reduced charges, although many states don't allow deals on drunken driving charges. I don't know if there is a morals clause in the collective bargaining agreement that would allow this, but there should be. In the real world, people in high-profile positions charged with crimes often are placed on administrative leave.

If you don't want players to drink and drive, maybe the possibility sitting out the season waiting for your case to come to court would work as a deterrent. Drunken driving is much more offensive than any insensitive slur.

This is not very well thought out. Its a damned misdemeanor, this is horrible overreaction. Hell, you can even be the President and Vice President of the most powerful nation in the world with DUI's under your belt.

Vernam
08-04-2006, 05:02 PM
This is not very well thought out. Its a damned misdemeanor, this is horrible overreaction. Hell, you can even be the President and Vice President of the most powerful nation in the world with DUI's under your belt.Try telling that to anybody who's lost a loved one thanks to some drunken piece of **** who got behind the wheel. :angry:

Vernam

TDog
08-05-2006, 12:04 AM
This is not very well thought out. Its a damned misdemeanor, this is horrible overreaction. Hell, you can even be the President and Vice President of the most powerful nation in the world with DUI's under your belt.

I thought this out. The fact that people laugh off drunken driving is a horrible underreaction. By the way, according to a small thing called the Constitution, a president can be impeached for drunken driving, as the document provides the possibility of impeachment for "high crimes and misdemeanors." If the president has a couple of DUIs under his belt, this might even be a "high crime" felony. As if the president would do his own driving. I don't want to get political but I would never vote for anyone who had a DUI under his belt.

Baseball should do more to discourage drunken driving. Go ahead and fine a manager for offending people, but don't do anything for someone convicted of a crime with potentially fatal consequences? Like that isn't offensive? I'm not the one overreacting.

As it is, this is bound to cost Padilla big bucks at contract time. The arrest was bad enough. Going weeks without telling the Rangers -- who learned long after the fact from a reporter -- about the incident apparently was worse. Other teams, I read today, have taken note.