PDA

View Full Version : Lopez to replace Varitek?

buehrle4cy05
08-03-2006, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2538688

Can Lopez even catch anymore? It seems like all he has been doing is DH'ing. Lopez is a body, but I can't see him being more useful than that.

samram
08-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Let's put it this way- the O's gave Ramon Hernandez $28M after giving Lopez $23M in 2004. He can't catch.

StatHead21
08-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Javy/Mirrabelli or Mirrabelli/minor leaguer

The choice is obvious.

SpartanSoxFan
08-03-2006, 10:25 PM
On the ESPN 2 telecast of the Red Sox game tonight, the announcers were saying that the Red Sox are close to aquiring Javy Lopez from Baltimore. Wouldn't Lopez need to clear waivers first? If he does, Kenny better make a claim on him!!!! :angry:

buehrle4cy05
08-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Already a thread on this in talking baseball.

SpartanSoxFan
08-03-2006, 10:30 PM
My bad, I looked in there and couldn't see one....

Mods, feel free to move/delete this thread...

SpartanSoxFan
08-03-2006, 10:31 PM
He would have to clear waivers, correct? I would think that several teams would make a claim to him before Boston could get him.

santo=dorf
08-03-2006, 10:34 PM
On the ESPN 2 telecast of the Red Sox game tonight, the announcers were saying that the Red Sox are close to aquiring Javy Lopez from Baltimore. Wouldn't Lopez need to clear waivers first? If he does, Kenny better make a claim on him!!!! :angry:
OK smart guy.

What do the Sox do when they claim Javy and ALL of his $3 million or so left on his contract? Baltimore dumps him on us, we have to release somebody, and now we have an even more overpaid Javy on this team.

His salary is too much of gamble to take, and he is declining big time.

Scottiehaswheels
08-03-2006, 10:34 PM
He would have to clear waivers, correct? I would think that several teams would make a claim to him before Boston could get him.Well since it goes by division/league... The only other 2 teams that would claim him before the Red Sox are the Devil Rays and BlueJays..... Rays aren't gonna take on his contract and the Jays are happy with Molina

RKMeibalane
08-03-2006, 10:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2538688

Can Lopez even catch anymore? It seems like all he has been doing is DH'ing. Lopez is a body, but I can't see him being more useful than that.

He does still catch occasionally. The O's have been using him as the personal catcher of one of their starters.

buehrle4cy05
08-03-2006, 10:39 PM
OK smart guy.

What do the Sox do when they claim Javy and ALL of his $3 million or so left on his contract? Baltimore dumps him on us, we have to release somebody, and now we have an even more overpaid Javy on this team.

His salary is too much of gamble to take, and he is declining big time.

Hey, remember Randy Myers?

DSpivack
08-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Well since it goes by division/league... The only other 2 teams that would claim him before the Red Sox are the Devil Rays and BlueJays..... Rays aren't gonna take on his contract and the Jays are happy with Molina

I thought it goes by league regardless of division?

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2006, 01:33 AM
On the ESPN 2 telecast of the Red Sox game tonight, the announcers were saying that the Red Sox are close to aquiring Javy Lopez from Baltimore. Wouldn't Lopez need to clear waivers first? If he does, Kenny better make a claim on him!!!! :angry:You can't just put in a claim to block. You have to then take him and his contract. JUST a bit expensive for a backup catcher.

CLR01
08-04-2006, 02:39 AM
I thought it goes by league regardless of division?

Right the order is league/record. He is in the AL so other AL teams have first choice and the worst record gets him. I believe that is right though I am not 100% positive that all AL teams get priority or if that only comes in play if an AL and NL team claims him and have the same record.

Fenway
08-04-2006, 09:47 AM
The Red Sox according to the Boston papers are either giving someone off the 40 man roster or not. Well one of the papers is right :tongue:

Globe

Deal struck for Lopez (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/04/deal_is_struck_for_orioles_lopez)

According to major league sources, Boston has struck a deal for Baltimore catcher Javy Lopez in exchange for a player to be named, but one who is currently on the Red Sox' 40-man roster.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=151315
Herald
According to sources, the Orioles have agreed to send Lopez to the Sox in exchange for a minor league player not currently on the Red Sox’ 40-man roster. As part of the deal, the Orioles will pay roughly half of the estimated $2.75 million remaining on Lopez’ contract, leaving the Sox on the hook for roughly $1.375 million over the balance of this season.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Question for our knowledgeable board members:
What exactly does this mean regarding the playoffs? Can Lopez be on the Red Sox roster for the playoffs? If so, what was this trading deadline this past Monday?

Fenway
08-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Question for our knowledgeable board members:
What exactly does this mean regarding the playoffs? Can Lopez be on the Red Sox roster for the playoffs? If so, what was this trading deadline this past Monday?

Playoff rosters are frozen on August 31st.

The Orioles will get their player later as boston.com reports Tampa has claimed the player that was going to be sent ( believed to be Adam Stern who is best know for leading Canada to a victory over the US in the WBC )

KyWhiSoxFan
08-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Playoff rosters are frozen on August 31st.

The Orioles will get their player later as boston.com reports Tampa has claimed the player that was going to be sent ( believed to be Adam Stern who is best know for leading Canada to a victory over the US in the WBC )

Thanks for the answer.

Fenway
08-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Doug Mirabelli got hurt last night and Lopez was thrown right into it.

Ortiz saved the Red Sox again ( 2 homers ) man is getting like Yaz in 1967.