PDA

View Full Version : Manager's quote on 5th Starter

duke of dorwood
02-19-2002, 09:39 AM
Sox manager Jerry Manuel said he is keeping an eye on Osuna, who signed a two-year deal (with a club option for 2004) just 13 days before his 2001 season ended.

"I'd like to see what he can do,'' Manuel said. "We got him late last spring, and he had a tough time. When his arm is healthy, he has shown that he has good stuff. That's what I saw when I was [third-base coach] with Montreal.''

As for Osuna's role, Manuel said it still is to be determined.

"It depends on how we set up the bullpen,'' he said, "and that will be determined on who is the fifth [starter]: [Dan] Wright, [Gary] Glover or [Lorenzo] Barcelo.''

RichH55
02-19-2002, 11:53 AM
Sean Lowe role?

RichH55
02-19-2002, 11:54 AM
And damnit enough Jerry! I don't have an official count but the rough figure of guys he thinks can be the 5th starter is roughly 5,204......lets narrow this badboy down and have guys in the bullpen too rather than a 9 man starting rotation

RedPinStripes
02-19-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
And damnit enough Jerry! I don't have an official count but the rough figure of guys he thinks can be the 5th starter is roughly 5,204......lets narrow this badboy down and have guys in the bullpen too rather than a 9 man starting rotation

Now Now......We don't want to bother Jerry too much while he's thinking. Remember the begining of last season? He get confused easily.

RichH55
02-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Now Now......We don't want to bother Jerry too much while he's thinking. Remember the begining of last season? He get confused easily.

Ah....I like Jerry as a manager, but I mean every guy we talk about whether they are 19 and in another country or a guy coming off arm surgery who has been prodimately a reliever and is well suited to do that becomes a candidate for 5th Starter.....there are ways not to put a guy down without saying everyone will be the 5th starter(I don't expect Jerry to come out and Say "Osuna sucks trade that b*stard back to LA", but then again if you give everyone praise regardless of anything that becomes hollow) If your praise is going to be hollow at least let it be vague too! Like "He's going to have a good year, or he's going to be a good one"...maybe thats just me, not wanting to alter the time tested tradition of cliches, but watch it nonetheless

foulkesfan11
02-20-2002, 06:30 PM
We can only hope Osuna gets hurt again this year! Add Embree to that list too. They Blow!

:kelly

Daver
02-20-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
We can only hope Osuna gets hurt again this year! Add Embree to that list too. They Blow!

Embree is no longer with the team.

Pete_SSAC
02-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11

Embree is now a Padre, and from what I hear, the 345.87 ERA Osuna we saw last season is not the real Osuna. I don't think, nor really want, him as the fifth starter. I think he'll be great to replace the gascan. however, I do fine it encouraging that it looks like he's recovering well.

- Pete

foulkesfan11
02-20-2002, 11:11 PM
Thank God Embree's Gone! He was awful. Hopefully Osuna will make a better showing this year!

Cubbiesuck13
02-20-2002, 11:14 PM
Osuna doesnt impress me at all. I hope he gets traded for some good pitching. I am also glad Embree is gone, dint do a damn thing for the Sox