PDA

View Full Version : SI players poll Aug 7th SI

esbrechtel
08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I searched didnt find this so....
on page 35 of Sports Illustrated (Joe Mauer is on the cover) out of MLB players polled in july 32% say that the sox will win the world series (players were not allowed to vote for their own team) 391 players were polled...other finalists include DET 30%, BOS 15%, & NYM 14%....thoughts?

IlliniSox4Life
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
My initial thought is to wonder when this poll was taken (edit: beginning or end of july?)

Gavin
08-03-2006, 06:27 PM
It said "throughout the month of July"...

Scottzilla
08-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Also how many were polled? I think if i were a professional athlete I'd find lots better things to do than answer stupid questions from SI.

The Immigrant
08-03-2006, 07:43 PM
I think if i were a professional athlete I'd find lots better things to do than answer stupid questions from SI.

There's only so much time you can spend playing PlayStation II before your fingers go numb...:tongue:

Soxfanspcu11
08-03-2006, 08:50 PM
This poll is absolutely absurd! A poll of nearly 400 major league players and they can NOT pick their own team??? ***?:?:

So players who play for a team who can and will make the playoffs are not allowed to vote for their own team? Way to go SI, that makes sense.

"Hi, I am John Doe from good major league baseball team. We play good ball, and I very confident that we make playoffs. However, I not confident enough that we win world series so I vote for other team to do it". Again, let me say :?:

If they are not going to let players vote for their own team, then this poll should just include players who are on teams that likely will not make the playoffs.

I really don't like the fact that someone on the Sox could have responded to this question and said that Detroit will win the World Series, or Boston will, or whoever. This is a TERRIBLE poll! Someone at SI should be fired for how stupid it is.:rolleyes:

PKalltheway
08-04-2006, 03:31 AM
This poll is absolutely absurd! A poll of nearly 400 major league players and they can NOT pick their own team??? ***?:?:

So players who play for a team who can and will make the playoffs are not allowed to vote for their own team? Way to go SI, that makes sense.

"Hi, I am John Doe from good major league baseball team. We play good ball, and I very confident that we make playoffs. However, I not confident enough that we win world series so I vote for other team to do it". Again, let me say :?:

If they are not going to let players vote for their own team, then this poll should just include players who are on teams that likely will not make the playoffs.

I really don't like the fact that someone on the Sox could have responded to this question and said that Detroit will win the World Series, or Boston will, or whoever. This is a TERRIBLE poll! Someone at SI should be fired for how stupid it is.:rolleyes:
It said in the poll that players could not vote for their own team.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-04-2006, 04:31 AM
My thoughts? This poll is less than meaningless...

bludupree
08-04-2006, 09:08 AM
My thoughts? This poll is less than meaningless...

When I read the article I thought it meant there wa a 33% chance of us making the playoffs.

It is kind of interesting to see what the players think of the different teams.

And if the players could vote for themselves then 75% of them would and every team would have an equal percent. That wouldn't make much sense.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2006, 10:38 AM
I dislike media polls in general. It's news organizations CREATING news. You are supposed to REPORT on the news, not create it.

SOXintheBURGH
08-04-2006, 11:23 AM
What aren't you guys getting? A third of all these players that could not vote for their own team think we're going to repeat. I think that's pretty cool.

*shrugs*

batmanZoSo
08-04-2006, 12:26 PM
What aren't you guys getting? A third of all these players that could not vote for their own team think we're going to repeat. I think that's pretty cool.

*shrugs*

:dunno:

This poll does not work if one can for for one's own team, period.

So, once you clear that up, it doesn't get more objective than a player vote. I think this is the most valid (or least in-valid) poll we've ever seen in the Clubhouse.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2006, 12:31 PM
We'll see what happens on the field, that's the only 'true' poll...

Lip

Soxfanspcu11
08-04-2006, 07:34 PM
It said in the poll that players could not vote for their own team.

Um yeah, thats the point.