PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't we sign Dye to extension ?

White Sox Randy
08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Wouldn't it be a good idea to sign Dye to a 3 year extension before he winds up hitting 45 homeruns and possibly wins the MVP award ?

I'd like to see the Sox get something done with him now. I don't want to lose him after next year. And, please don't tell me that Sweeney will replace him.

Yes, he could replace him with far less production.

What would you offer him ? 3 years for $ 33 mil. ? 4 years for $ 48 ? What will it take ?

BadBobbyJenks
08-03-2006, 02:22 PM
We have an option on him next year at I believe 6 million, so no extension coming anytime soon. As for 2008 there will be plenty of options like sweeney or fields. I think next year will be his last with us

getonbckthr
08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Lets wait til next season.

thomas35forever
08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
We have an option on him next year at I believe 6 million, so no extension coming anytime soon. As for 2008 there will be plenty of options like sweeney or fields. I think next year will be his last with us
We'll get to see Sweeney and Fields in September, right?

batmanZoSo
08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
As great as he is, no way. We have control for 2007 and we've never had a problem producing corner outfielders...most teams don't. It's not a high priority and given his past, I wouldn't want to commit to more than a year to year basis at this point.

White Sox Randy
08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I think it would be a BIG mistake to let him go. We aren't going to get that kind of offensive production, outfield play and veteran leadership anyplace else - and because of the kind of guy he is, he would probably accept a reasonable contract.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2006, 03:14 PM
I think it would be a BIG mistake to let him go. We aren't going to get that kind of offensive production, outfield play and veteran leadership anyplace else - and because of the kind of guy he is, he would probably accept a reasonable contract.He already accepted a reasonable contract...a year and a half ago. With the option year it runs through next year. If they're going to talk about an extension it won't be until next season.

Flight #24
08-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Jermaine's getting up there in age, so I'm not sure I'd commit to a long-term deal for him. A 1-2 yr extension, sure. Beyond that, I'm not sure he's going to be able to sustain this level of performance. Plus, JD's injury history and the fact that last year he was good but not great make me wonder if he'll be MVP-worthy for 07-09 like he is this year.

But that said, payroll is not unlimited, barring the Sox moving to NY. Even pushing it a bit past $100M, you still end up wondering where you take from to give to Dye (Crede? Buehrle?).

KW will likely wait until the start of '07, then if Jermaine's keeping it up, he'll broach the subject and see if they can work something reasonable out.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Well, I think it would be safe to say that we will not have the same starting rotation (McCarthy was guaranteed a spot for next year during spring training). So that should free up some money.

TDog
08-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Wouldn't it be a good idea to sign Dye to a 3 year extension before he winds up hitting 45 homeruns and possibly wins the MVP award ?

I'd like to see the Sox get something done with him now. I don't want to lose him after next year. And, please don't tell me that Sweeney will replace him.

Yes, he could replace him with far less production.

What would you offer him ? 3 years for $ 33 mil. ? 4 years for $ 48 ? What will it take ?

Dye isn't going to win an MVP if the Sox don't win the division.

DumpJerry
08-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Come on, let's all sit down and have cool glass of water. Jermaine passed up better offer$ from other teams last year to sign with the Sox. He wanted to come here and there have been no reasons for him to want to leave.

Domeshot17
08-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Jermaine is a classy guy, hes a handshake is a deal guy. I think IF he stays, it will be for similiar money. And then when we retires He will replace DJ

White Sox Randy
08-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Have you guys seen the deals that have been going down ? The market is only going to go up. Dye is not going to be playing for $ 5-6 mil. in his next contract.

He has been outplaying the $ 15 mil. man Ordonez in Detroit.

Even Paulie is getting $ 12 mil. Dye is 32. He could easily be productive for another 3 or 4 years. He sure looks damn good right now and very healthy.

SOMEBODY is going to offer him something big after next year. I would not want to lose him. He is a quality guy and a quality player.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2006, 04:59 PM
They have an option on Dye for next year. Don't we have enough to worry about for 2006 and 2007? Now we're fretting about losing Dye in 2008? Sorry, but...

:threadblows:

the gooch
08-03-2006, 04:59 PM
He already accepted a reasonable contract...a year and a half ago. With the option year it runs through next year. If they're going to talk about an extension it won't be until next season.
Won't that make it a re-signing not an extension?
I don't remember the Sox doing a lot of in-season extensions. They tend to take place during Spring Training. Like Buehrle, Garland I believe... Garcia was in-season but we had just traded for him.

I'm sure Jermaine would rather not have it as a distraction during this season's or next season's pennant races.

MadetoOrta
08-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Uhm.......for the record.....uhm...... RYAN SWEENEY WILL ONE DAY BE OUR RIGHTFIELDER! That, you can put on the board! Whether it's 2008, 2007 or 2009. That said, would you rather spend that money on a frontline pitcher, say, Roy Oswalt? or spend it on an outfielder? Until we cross that bridge, JD keep it up! We love ya!

santo=dorf
08-03-2006, 06:22 PM
They have an option on Dye for next year. Don't we have enough to worry about for 2006 and 2007? Now we're fretting about losing Dye in 2008? Sorry, but...

:threadblows:
Yeah really Randy. Save it until next year if Dye is still being productive.

Pick up the option for a measly $6 million (What a deal. Where's that flubbie fan who came here and said he'd rather have Burnitz? :cool: ) Make him play for that contract for 2007 and beyond. Evaluate our minor league system and see if re-signing him is the right move AFTER NEXT YEAR.

I want Mags back
08-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Id rather take care of thsi i the offseason

southwstchi4life
08-03-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't understand how people can just let him go so easily. HE deserves more money than Konerko. Dye is much more consistant than Konerko and clutch with runners on. (Paulie leads the league in double plays). If the sox were to let him go, it would be a dissapoointment. For some reason it would just erk me to pay all that money for konerko and let our most consistant hitter leave, in my personal opinion, he is much more valuable (Lets not forget his defense as well). I think sometimes Dye gets under the radar when guys like Konerko and Thome get all the press, always seen on during press conferences, and you hardely hear from the guy (J D) a non flashy type. In my opinion Dye is the teams MVP and should the "captain." We have to keep him. Go JD

Sox-o-matic
08-03-2006, 08:20 PM
I don't know if extending Dye should be as much of a priority right now, but I think it definitely should be during the offseason. Same goes for Iguchi and Buehrle. I'd hate to see the Sox hold off negotiations until midseason next year and end up trading him or letting him go the following offseason.

BTW, could everyone stop making it out like Sweeney is going to be ready to be a legitimate middle of the order force by the time Dye's contract runs out? I can see maybe talking about Fields now because he's been tearing it up this year, but Sweeney? When numbers reflect potential, say what you want. Until then stop kidding yourselves.

Save McCuddy's
08-03-2006, 09:45 PM
We're already in unchartered waters with Jermaine now. He's outslugging his career season by 74 pts and is 3 HR's shy of his all-time high. I think you ride this winner for all it's worth and worry about the contract when the gig's up. Don't jinx this thing by fretting over it now -- or worse yet by suggesting that we suddenly start paying market value for what has been an incredible stroke of good fortune.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2006, 09:45 AM
It DOES make sense to bring this up now, this thread doesn't blow. Forget the option and offer him a two year deal now that pays him $8mil next year and $9 mil in 2008. Maybe another year after that for $11mil.

If you let him play out the option you might have to pay him HUGE dollars afterwards. If you throw some extra dollars at him for next year instead of the $6mil option, you can get him cheaper in the following year(s). It's logical he might accept less dollars in 2008 or 2009 for some extra up-front cash in 2007. And he has earned it in many ways, he isn't some stroke who should have to play out his option to "prove" himself.

Flight #24
08-04-2006, 09:58 AM
It DOES make sense to bring this up now, this thread doesn't blow. Forget the option and offer him a two year deal now that pays him $8mil next year and $9 mil in 2008. Maybe another year after that for $11mil.

If you let him play out the option you might have to pay him HUGE dollars afterwards. If you throw some extra dollars at him for next year instead of the $6mil option, you can get him cheaper in the following year(s). It's logical he might accept less dollars in 2008 or 2009 for some extra up-front cash in 2007. And he has earned it in many ways, he isn't some stroke who should have to play out his option to "prove" himself.

He'll also be almost 34 years old after next season, which while not ancient, isn't exactly the type of guy you sign to a long-term deal. And his history is not one of production at the level he's currently on. So while there's no question that he'll probably be a productive guy, there is a question as to whether or not he'll be worth that type of $$$.

And it's a ludicrous thing to do at this point. You have 1.5 years before he can leave. Given that there are some questions about where his performance level will stabilize at, you have to wait and see.

MadetoOrta
08-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I'll tell you exactly why I can see a scenario where we let JD go after 2007 - PITCHING WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! I'd rather spend money on top flight pitching and have less production in RF. Sweeney has a gun, is 21, is starting to hit for more power lately and can field well. I remember the teeth gnashing over the thought of losing Maggs. We lived through that and we can live through losing JD IN 2 YEARS. Move on. Let's worry about today.

spiffie
08-04-2006, 11:43 AM
I'll tell you exactly why I can see a scenario where we let JD go after 2007 - PITCHING WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! I'd rather spend money on top flight pitching and have less production in RF. Sweeney has a gun, is 21, is starting to hit for more power lately and can field well. I remember the teeth gnashing over the thought of losing Maggs. We lived through that and we can live through losing JD IN 2 YEARS. Move on. Let's worry about today.
We lived through it because we ended up replacing Maggs with Dye, someone who has given comprable production. How well do you think we do the last two years if you put someone putting numbers like Anderson has given us into the RF slot?

I agree that with Dye's history I wouldn't rush out to sign him to a 4/60 deal, but the way people are talking about replacing a guy who hits 30+ HR a year and has 40-45 HR potential when healthy with an untested minor league player is amazing. If Dye would take an extra year extension at market value or just below, say tack on 2008 at 10 million, I think you do it. He gets the security of knowing he's paid through '08 even if he gets injured, and you lock in a guy for another 2 years who if healthy is one of the premier RF in the game.

hawkjt
08-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Who would you rather pay? Crede or JD?

I think it is a very close call. It will be a good off-season discussion. If we finish strong- sign 'em both.

maurice
08-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Ordonez with the Tigers:
24 HR, 95 R, 123 RBI, 1 SB
$16.2 million salary in 2006

Dye with the Sox:
61 HR, 141 R, 165 RBI, 15 SB
$5 million salary in 2006

:gulp:

Who would you rather pay? Crede or JD?

If they keep selling out this many games, it won't be an either-or situation. JR's group is rolling in dough.

Plus, by the time that Dye's option year expires, one of the high-salary starting pitchers will have been replaced by McCarthy.

BanditJimmy
08-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Crede with a healthy back is a much bigger priority to sign long term than Dye is. Corner OFs are easy to replace as we found out when we let Ordonez go (for Dye himself). Gold Glove 3Bs w/ power numbers as those Crede is starting to put up ... those playes are keepers for me.

spiffie
08-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Crede with a healthy back is a much bigger priority to sign long term than Dye is. Corner OFs are easy to replace as we found out when we let Ordonez go (for Dye himself). Gold Glove 3Bs w/ power numbers as those Crede is starting to put up ... those playes are keepers for me.
But leading up to the trade deadline folks here were telling us how Josh Fields was pretty much a force of nature, just waiting to come up here and put up 300/35/120 seasons on a regular basis. Wouldn't that make Crede just as easy to replace, fielding aside?

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
He'll also be almost 34 years old after next season, which while not ancient, isn't exactly the type of guy you sign to a long-term deal. And his history is not one of production at the level he's currently on. So while there's no question that he'll probably be a productive guy, there is a question as to whether or not he'll be worth that type of $$$.

And it's a ludicrous thing to do at this point. You have 1.5 years before he can leave. Given that there are some questions about where his performance level will stabilize at, you have to wait and see.

Agree, that's why I'd prefer to just resign him now through 2008. I'd hate to lose him after 2007 because we can't afford him. That's a huge risk too, just like the injury risk.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2006, 03:47 PM

Finding TWO stud corners won't be easy. Not sure how much longer Pods will be around. We need to keep Dye.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
If they keep selling out this many games, it won't be an either-or situation. JR's group is rolling in dough.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: