PDA

View Full Version : Two series wins, but did it restore the team's confidence?

stacksedwards
08-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Maybe my expectations are unrealistic after last year and maybe I am being too hard on the White Sox but for some reason even thought we did what we were supposed to do and win the series against both Baltimore and KC I still feel like this team is in a slump and once we play a decent team (Toronto) we are goning to go right back to losing games. The main reasons I feel like this is the pitching and the lack of clutch hitting. While the starters in the KC series were respectable we were playing the Royals. While in the Baltimore series the starters pitched sub par. The second part of the pitching concern is in the bullpen. The bullpen in both series struggled to both keep leads (Baltimore Sunday and KC Tuesday) as well as struggling to keep us in the game last night (Cotts and #55). *Although Riske was dynamite on Tuesday.
The other area concern is hitting with guys on third and less than two outs. While this really did not happen in the Baltimore series it killed us on Tues and Wends. *Even thougth Crede's double play really was not his fault picther made a lucky catch. Hitting into doulbe plays, popping up, or striking out with a man on third and less than two outs will not get you to the playoffs.
My point I guess is this, I really do not feel like our team is out of its slump yet, things need to change in a hurry (like Friday) or else we our going to be in trouble it Toronto and when NY comes to town at the start of next week.
Hopefully they can turn it around and get hot ( 8 game winning streak would do). If we can fix the pitching and get guys in and over on a consistant basis there is no reason that we cannot win the Wild Card or catch Detroit.

sox1970
08-03-2006, 03:06 PM
It's nice to win two out of three, but it will be better when it's against Toronto, New York, Detroit, and Minnesota. The starting pitching is still suspect, so I'm not excited yet. We'll know a lot more about this team in 3 weeks. We'll either be very hopeful about a playoff run, or we'll be talking about who we're going to trade in the offseason.

Chisox1500
08-03-2006, 03:11 PM
They were lucky to win 4 of 6 from the bottom feeding Orioles and the AAA Royals. It was their best stretch in over a month, but they lost a half game in the wild card standings and gained nothing in the division.

This was their time to gain ground, and they failed to do so.

Uribe was benched for lazy play, and the pitching problems continue.

This stretch was a setback. If they play like this against good teams they will continue to get slapped around.

This was no turning point.

jenn2080
08-03-2006, 03:18 PM
nope sure didnt

batmanZoSo
08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
They were lucky to win 4 of 6 from the bottom feeding Orioles and the AAA Royals. It was their best stretch in over a month, but they lost a half game in the wild card standings and gained nothing in the division.

This stretch was a setback. If they play like this against good teams they will continue to get slapped around.

Can't argue with any of that. But remember this team was on fire in June then the bottom fell out when Boston came to town. Just as easily, the opposite can happen.

CaptainBallz
08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
On the upside, the offense did show some vitality. There were actually runs that crossed the plate without the help of the longball. AJ, JD were machines. Gload was great off the bench.

Unfortunately, that's what's supposed to happen to the tools the O's and KC rolled out. So, the glory's a bit tainted.

Neither of these series were dominating performances by the Sox. Their weaknesses, especially mentally, were still glaring.

If they did gain some confidence by putting up the W's, then great. But they're definitely not there yet.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2006, 03:55 PM
They spent the first couple of weeks after the break in free fall. So at least they've pulled out of a dive to staying level. That's the first step. IMO, the next 10 games will tell the story. By the time they finish the Detroit series on Aug 13 we'll know a lot better where we stand. If they've gained three games, I'll feel a lot better. If they've lost three more games...:(:

Chicken Dinner
08-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Marginal starting pitching, weak bullpen performances, sloppy defense, and 2 key injuries to our sluggers against 2 of the crappiest teams in the league. If we win the rest of the series out there, we end up with about a 100 wins. I think they better get it together quick. Not much time left considering the schedule ahead with 2 Tiger series, 1 with the Yanks and 1 with the Twins.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Marginal starting pitching, weak bullpen performances, sloppy defense, and 2 key injuries to our sluggers against 2 of the crappiest teams in the league. If we win the rest of the series out there, we end up with about a 100 wins. I think they better get it together quick. Not much time left considering the schedule ahead with 2 Tiger series, 1 with the Yanks and 1 with the Twins.If the Tigers stay hot and win 105 games, you tip your cap to them because they will have earned it. I'll take my chances with 100 wins.

SoxSpeed22
08-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Toronto's on the freeze, so hopefully the Sox can beat them too.

Hitmen77
08-03-2006, 04:27 PM
The Sox didn't exactly look spectacular against two bad teams. But, even when the Sox were playing well, they always seemed to have trouble with bad teams.

Defense is letting our team down again. Uribe playing poor defense. Pods giving away runs again. That part of our game doesn't seem very confident. That's a bad sign.

I hope the offense is getting it's confidence back since they've been showing more life of late. I'm also hoping that, if his wrist and back issues are indeed addressed, Thome will start terrorizing the league again.

Buehrle's outing was a good sign. That may go a long way to getting him back on track.

I just think that we need Buehrle, Vazquez, and our defense back on track and we'll be alright. The offense will be fine. Garland and Contreras will be fine. Garcia hasn't been spectacular, but I don't think he's really pitched all that poorly either. I think we can succeed if MB and JV get back on track.

The bullpen? Their success is just a reflection of our starting pitching. When our starters crap out every game after 5 innings then the pen is taxed and they're not very effective. If we can at least get 4 of our starters to start making it to the 7th on a consistent basis, then I think our bullpen has enough talent to be successful.

The Twins and Red Sox look very beatable right now. It's all up to the Sox to live up to their talent and start winning series after series against good teams.

IronFisk
08-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Better than a stick in the eye.

miker
08-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Despite going 4-2 against two below average teams, the White Sox are not as good, and may never be as good, as we want this team to be.

My greatest worry is that they will stay in this funk the rest of the season. This team looks mentally and physically tired and shows no sign of righting the ship. :(:

Having said that (and to deflect those who are salivating just waiting to rip this post,) I still think this team has the talent to stay in the race and I will be pulling for them all they way.

DumpJerry
08-03-2006, 05:27 PM
People, people..............relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Baltimore and Kansas City had BLISTERING hot temps. You cannot say our pitching sucked-it was drained from the heat. Toronto hopefully will be more comfortable.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Toronto is struggling too, so if we beat them 2 of 3 I wouldn't get sky-high.

Next week against NY and Detroit will tell us all we need to know about this team. Blowing sweeps to Baltimore and the Royals that were there for the taking was a little distressing. It's August. That means if you play the Royals, you beat them, PERIOD. But winning two straight series was what the doctor ordered too, we really needed that.

Jurr
08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
If these two series were won in the rubber matches, you'd all be singing a different tune.

In the overall scheme, things are looking up. A win's a win in baseball. Just keep 'em coming.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2006, 05:51 PM
If these two series were won in the rubber matches, you'd all be singing a different tune.

In the overall scheme, things are looking up. A win's a win in baseball. Just keep 'em coming.The Sox need to gain a game a week on the Tigers. They had theirs for this week and gave it back. I think that's what makes it disappointing.

miker
08-03-2006, 05:52 PM

In the overall scheme, things are looking up. A win's a win in baseball. Just keep 'em coming.

You have brought up a good point: when we were winning series left and right last year, weren't many of them the "win the first two of three" variety?

Yes, I would be more comfortable if we were using great pitching and defense to win games, but that just might not be an option this year. That's why baseball is great...sometimes it doesn't even follow its own rules.

And a win IS a win.

Maybe the ship is righting itself...

batmanZoSo
08-03-2006, 05:57 PM
The Sox need to gain a game a week on the Tigers. They had theirs for this week and gave it back. I think that's what makes it disappointing.
Yeah, but again...look where we were a week ago. The important thing is we're playing 2/3 ball (and to put a positive spin on it) despite not playing all that well.

And while we didn't gain ground, our last-tens are 5-5 and 7-3. So the Tigers are still playing .700 ball. They need to slide, period. We can't win every game, and we'd almost have to in order to gain ground on a .700 team.

At the very least, at least we're winning. Keep doing that and wait for the Tigers to slip. If they never do, you've said it many times, tip your cap.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Yeah, but again...look where we were a week ago. The important thing is we're playing 2/3 ball (and to put a positive spin on it) despite not playing all that well.

And while we didn't gain ground, our last-tens are 5-5 and 7-10. So the Tigers are still playing .700 ball. They need to slide, period. We can't win every game, and we'd almost have to in order to gain ground on a .700 team.

At the very least, at least we're winning. Keep doing that and wait for the Tigers to slip. If they never do, you've said it many times, tip your cap.They probably need to win 2/3 of their games from here out. But they aren't going to do that well against the better teams, so they need to make up the difference beating up the doormats. They're going to need a few sweeps, and if you can't sweep KC, who can you sweep?

SOXSINCE'70
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
If Garland can beat Roy Halliday Friday night,it might
be the start of something big.At least I can hope.

White Sox Randy
08-03-2006, 06:22 PM
The answer is yes. They are confident that they can win 4 of 6 against two of the worst teams in the league.

ws05champs
08-03-2006, 06:44 PM
The Sox are in a serious struggle right now. They need to be focused and have their confidence up. After the tumble they took since the Boston series, the series wins against Baltimore and KC could be turning points but I don't think they are out of the woods yet. Pitching and defense while better is still not what it needs to be. That takes the kind of focus they are still not showing. I do feel more confident with the hitting.

We will definitely see with the next 3 series.

Brian26
08-03-2006, 10:39 PM

And the inherent problems that peaked during the post All-Star game slide are still there. The starting pitching, while showing signs of improvement, is still very suspect. The timely hitting comes in spurts. The defense has been atrocious. Add to this injuries to PK and Thome. The next three series will be very telling. This team has the talent to turn it around, but they still have a lot of work to do. Winning 4 of 6 from the doormats of the AL doesn't mean crap right now.

TornLabrum
08-03-2006, 11:19 PM
The thing that really bugs the hell out of me regarding the loss last night against KC is that I keep hearing about how we "only" won four out of six against a couple of the worst teams in the AL. Anybody remember that the loss last night was without our 3-4 hitters? I kind of expected a loss unless Freddy was brilliant, and I wasn't expecting that. So if you think the Sox aren't happy with two out of three against KC under those circumstances, think again. Sure a sweep would be nice, but under the circumstances, I'm sure they'll take two.

Yeah, I know injuries aren't an excuse blah, blah, blah.

Jurr
08-04-2006, 12:09 AM
They probably need to win 2/3 of their games from here out. But they aren't going to do that well against the better teams, so they need to make up the difference beating up the doormats. They're going to need a few sweeps, and if you can't sweep KC, who can you sweep?
Batman is totally right about this situation. Keep on playing at a .667 clip, and you've gotta like your chances.

If the Sox swept the series against Baltimore and KC, only to fall flat and get smacked around in the next two or three series, then it really didn't matter.

However, "ships" don't usually right themselves overnight. This turnaround after a month of crap will probably take a little time. Hell, even after the Joe Crede "salvation" against the Indians last year, the big game that supposedly turned around the season, the team still struggled a little and then caught fire.

So, if the Sox won two series in a row (against whom does not really matter), and they are in fact on the mend, then we may actually look at the last week as a turnaround. The only thing that matters is the next series and the one after that. Keep winning at a 2/3 clip, and all will be right in the end.

StepsInSC
08-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Better than a stick in the eye.

Which is slightly above pudding in the eye.

MadetoOrta
08-04-2006, 08:13 AM
When each of the starters has a quality start - win or loss - the team's confidence will be restored.

harwar
08-04-2006, 09:09 AM
The old adage,"one day at a time",really apply here.
The White Sox need to forget about the standings and try not to look at the scoreboard during the games.
Only the manager and coaches should be looking ahead to maneuver their team into the best possible postion to win.
They need to win tonight's game.

Chisox1500
08-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by TornLabrum
Anybody remember that the loss last night was without our 3-4 hitters? I kind of expected a loss unless Freddy was brilliant,

Even without our 3-4 hitters our line-up should be better than Kansas City's. And if Freddy cannot out duel a converted K.C. reliever, how is he supposed to outduel good pitchers on a playoff team?

Have expectations been so lowered that we expect to lose to the Royals? Our play continues to be sub-par.

hawkjt
08-04-2006, 01:35 PM
I am going with the positive.

These days off for PK and Big Jim will pay dividends in the next 24 days. A little rest before the final sprint of the season will help our big boppers carry us in the heat of August.

And Coop is still optimistic that tweaking Javvy will help him out. JonG is already in a groove. Burls looked better. Jose is fine. Freddie is going to smell the finish line and the big games that could be on the horizon if he finishes strong- and we know he likes those games.

Joe is swinging the hot stick right now. Tadahito is steady. and clutch. Pods is starting to swing better. AJ is in a groove. JD is a monster. Juan is going to get his 75 rbis which means he is due.

Alex,Mack,Pablo, Ross and Sandy are hitting the cover off the ball of late. Our pinch-hitting is money.

The bullpen is going to settle into routine roles now that we know who we will be going with. the two Macs are nasty. Big Bobby -solid. Riske has found his slot. Thornton brings the heat. Cotts is bleeding but is healthy and has a great arm. One question- do we need a seventh bullpen guy to share the burden? Our bench is so good I think we stand pat, get thru aug , then bring in the calvary from the minors.

JB98
08-04-2006, 01:49 PM
I hate to bitch about four out of six so far on the trip, but I'm going to do it anyway. I still don't think we're playing well. The defense has been extremely sloppy, and the pitching staff has struggled to hold leads. I still go back to that Saturday game in Baltimore. We had an 11-4 lead in the sixth, yet we had to use MacDougal, Thornton AND Jenks just to hang on for dear life. That shouldn't have been necessary, and I think it contributed to the bullpen's ineffectiveness in as many as three of the last four games since.

Let's face it folks: We're 4-2 on the trip because the pitching staffs for Baltimore and Kansas City suck. We were able to continue to score runs in the late innings off **** relievers and basically outslug the opposition in these two series. You can't play that type of baseball and expect to win against New York, Minnesota or Detroit. This is an important stretch coming up right here. The Sox haven't been good about paying attention to the details this season, and now would be a good time to start. We need to find some consistency in terms of pitching and defense, and we need to find it soon. I'd hate for us to be wearing the "paper champions" crown come season's end.

kevin57
08-04-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm not ready to say that we're "back," but from the abyss of a couple of weeks ago, there are a couple of reasons for encouragement: 1) starting pitching, especially MB, is better, and 2) we are demonstrating a "never die" attitude in games.

I don't have stats to back this up, but it seems to me that our relief pitching goes through cycles as a group! When one is doing well, they all click with precision, but when one is crap, they're all terrible.