PDA

View Full Version : Was nyone else shocked about the Pittsburgh trade ?

White Sox Randy
08-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I was stunned when I saw that the Pirates traded Roberto Hernandez AND Oliver Perez for...........Xavier Nady ?

WOW !

I thought they could have gotten much more. I would have loved to see the Sox get both of them. Couldn't we have easily offered more without it hurting ? I'd take a chance on Perez working his way back in AAA this year.

Anyone else ?

INSox56
08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
No not shocked because I know how absolutely moronic their front office is. It should have been expected. :angry: ...Oh you forgot Sean Casey for a AA reliever...

getonbckthr
08-03-2006, 02:33 PM
No not shocked because I know how absolutely moronic their front office is. It should have been expected. :angry: ...Oh you forgot Sean Casey for a AA reliever...
Uh Casey is a free agent at the end of the season better get something than nothing

monkeypants
08-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Knowing the Pirates and Dave Littlefield, no I am not shocked. In fact it's almost expected that they will do something stupid. I'm ashamed to be a fan of that organization.

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Knowing the Pirates and Dave Littlefield, no I am not shocked. In fact it's almost expected that they will do something stupid. I'm ashamed to be a fan of that organization.
Are you from the Burgh originally, or just a fan of the ballpark? :redneck

buehrle4cy05
08-03-2006, 04:01 PM
It's the owner there that pisses me off the most. He bitches and moans about how he can't compete with the high market teams in baseball, but then doesn't spend anything. If you're the owner of a MLB team, you should be prepared to spend some money, dumbass.

1951Campbell
08-03-2006, 04:12 PM
I'll never be shocked by the Buccos giving up a lot for very little.

monkeypants
08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Are you from the Burgh originally, or just a fan of the ballpark? :redneck
No, have lived most of my life in Chicagoland. The '79 Pirates were the first baseball memory I had. Then when I really started to get interested in baseball in the late '80s and early '90s the Pirates were again very good with Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke and three straight division titles so I decided to pick them as my National League team along with the Expos. So aside from the Sox, I really know how to pick those teams. Unfortunately PNC Park is the only good thing about the Pirates right now.

RKMeibalane
08-03-2006, 09:17 PM
No. Dave Littlefield is their GM.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2006, 09:37 PM
It's a shame how far that franchise has fallen - from the late 70s powerhouses to the late 80s/early 90s teams with their awesome outfield of Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke - down to the cellar of NL. Didn't the 1991 Pirates take the Braves to Game 6 or 7 in the NLCS?

RKMeibalane
08-03-2006, 09:39 PM
It's a shame how far that franchise has fallen - from the late 70s powerhouses to the late 80s/early 90s teams with their awesome outfield of Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke - down to the cellar of NL. Didn't the 1991 Pirates take the Braves to Game 6 or 7 in the NLCS?

They took them to seven in 1992, and were on the verge of winning when Stan Belinda coughed up the lead in the ninth, and Francisco Cabrerra lined a single to left that scored Dave Justice and Sid Bream to win it for the Braves.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2006, 09:41 PM
They took them to seven in 1992, and were on the verge of winning when Stan Belinda coughed up the lead in the ninth, and Francisco Cabrerra lined a single to left that scored Dave Justice and Sid Bream to win it for the Braves.

Ahh yes. Now I remember. Then the Braves got pounded by the Jays, right?

RKMeibalane
08-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Ahh yes. Now I remember. Then the Braves got pounded by the Jays, right?

Yes, they did. Pat Borders was the WS MVP.

Save McCuddy's
08-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Not shocked -- but then again what the hell have the Pirates been trying to do for the last ten years?

Combine that with the fact that it was a buyers market big time. There was nowhere to go to dump players because too many teams are in contention and fear that chance and odds are too complicated to risk trading any assets to shore up their squads. The only team that gave anything up to get anything was Cincinnatti with that utterly ridiculous deal they made with Washington.

SOXintheBURGH
08-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm shocked Littlefield got any resemblance of every day major league talent at all.

Sox-o-matic
08-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Uh Casey is a free agent at the end of the season better get something than nothing

I imagine he should be worth an A and a B prospect if he bolts for FA, and I'm willing to bet that if Detroit offers him salary arbitration and Casey elects FA, Detriot will get more out of him in the draft than they gave up.

The Pirates are such a joke though that I'm guessing they didn't want to bother offering arbitration because they thought he'd take it, as if anyone in their right mind would want to go back and play for them.

The Perez/Hernandez trade and the Wilson trade made no sense either. Why an organization that has been waving the white flag for years now feels it necessary to constantly to throw inexpensive, valuable pieces away every July is beyond me. Two years from now we may be able to get Jason Bay and Jack Wilson in a two for one deal for the price of say, Arnie Munoz and some nachos. No wonder nobody shows up to that beautiful park.