PDA

View Full Version : Is imitation the greatest form of flattery?

Palehose13
08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
I started watching some of the Rockies/Brewergame last night and when I first glanced at the TV, I was shocked...the Rockies have the exact same uniform sans the logo. Now I knkow that temas have similar uniforms and stuff, but this is the exact same style of numbering and lettering. It just blew my mind.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060803/capt.3da16699c1dc4b078edd21e1fdf6d8ba.brewers_rock ies_baseball_dxf114.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060803/capt.632d9afcabf14e74b1662a055cfd8caf.brewers_rock ies_baseball_dxf108.jpg

Deuce
08-03-2006, 12:22 PM
The Rockies look like the Sox and the Sox have been looking like the Rockies since the All Star Break. Scary. :o:

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah, but the White Sox don't have those kick-ass purple alternate jerseys. I wish we had those, then people might like us more.

Soxfanspcu11
08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
I started watching some of the Rockies/Brewergame last night and when I first glanced at the TV, I was shocked...the Rockies have the exact same uniform sans the logo. Now I knkow that temas have similar uniforms and stuff, but this is the exact same style of numbering and lettering. It just blew my mind.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060803/capt.3da16699c1dc4b078edd21e1fdf6d8ba.brewers_rock ies_baseball_dxf114.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060803/capt.632d9afcabf14e74b1662a055cfd8caf.brewers_rock ies_baseball_dxf108.jpg

I would definetly have to say that my mind is indeed "blown".:tongue:

Anyone know who had the uniforms first? I know that the Sox have had this style for awhile now, but I don't follow the Rockies, like, at all, so I have no idea when they unveiled them.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/04/08/johnny_depp.jpg
"When 2 artists arrive at the same story, it really is a question of who wrote (wore) the words (jerseys) first."

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Anyone know who had the uniforms first? I know that the Sox have had this style for awhile now, but I don't follow the Rockies, like, at all, so I have no idea when they unveiled them.

The Sox unveiled their current uniforms in 1990 and began wearing them for the 1991 season.

The Rox played their first season in 1993. Not sure when the franchise was awarded or when their uniforms were first unveiled.

TheOldRoman
08-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Teams are moving away from their actual colors - their identities in order to sell more merchandise. The Rockies AND Marlins look just like the White Sox. The Blue Jays took the Sox' colors, but they have uniquely hideous uniforms.

Some marketing geniouses decided that tradition meant nothing, history was pointless, black was in, and all teams with royal blue should switch to navy, yellow to gold, etc. They have "marketing studies" which supposedly show people prefer teams in navy or black because "it goes better with jeans". Therefore, teams in all sports are ditching their colors and looking for the newest, crappiest look using navy or black, and silver or gold.

The Marlins colors should always be teal, with black as a secondary color.
The Rockies colors should always be purple, with black as a secondary color.
The Blue Jays colors should always be blue, with red as a secondary color.
Those teams are too dumb to realize it, so they all try to look like the Sox. They are more concerned with a kid in Oklahoma who doesn't even like baseball buying their hat because it "looks cool" than they are with pleasing their fanbase.

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Teams are moving away from their actual colors - their identities in order to sell more merchandise. The Rockies AND Marlins look just like the White Sox. The Blue Jays took the Sox' colors, but they have uniquely hideous uniforms.

Some marketing geniouses decided that tradition meant nothing, history was pointless, black was in, and all teams with royal blue should switch to navy, yellow to gold, etc. They have "marketing studies" which supposedly show people prefer teams in navy or black because "it goes better with jeans". Therefore, teams in all sports are ditching their colors and looking for the newest, crappiest look using navy or black, and silver or gold.

Those teams are too dumb to realize it, so they all try to look like the Sox. They are more concerned with a kid in Oklahoma who doesn't even like baseball buying their hat because it "looks cool" than they are with pleasing their fanbase.
Well said. You forgot the Mets, who ditched their traditional blue and orange look for "cool" uniforms that are utterly heinous.

TheOldRoman
08-03-2006, 02:00 PM
The Sox unveiled their current uniforms in 1990 and began wearing them for the 1991 season.

The Rox played their first season in 1993. Not sure when the franchise was awarded or when their uniforms were first unveiled.
The Sox debuted the sleeveless jerseys in 1999. The Rockies had different uniforms when they started play. They started wearing those sleeveless alternates in 2000, when they added pinstripes to the road jersey, and debuted the purple jersey (which is terribly underrated, and which was apparently dumped in favor of the black vest garbage).

Palehose13
08-03-2006, 02:01 PM

I understand that reasoning, but usually something is different other than the logo. Maybe a different styleof numbering or lettering, but this is the exact same uni.

BTW...it is officially their "Home alternate jersey". Maybe they got a discount on Sox jersys and swapped logos.

Soxfanspcu11
08-03-2006, 02:02 PM

The sleeveless ones as well? My mind may not be remembering this correctly, but I don't remember the Sox sporting the sleeveless look until the mid-late 90's.

I remember them coming up with them as another "alternate" uniform. I know that teams used to have sleeveless uniforms back in the day (50's/60's/70's), but that they sort of fell out of favor.

I recall seeing the Cincinatti Reds wearing the first sleeveless that I had seen in forever back in like 1995, but I could be wrong.

It seemed that other teams started picking up on that. First, the Marlins, then the Sox. Again, could be wrong.

Clarification?

buehrle4cy05
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I understand that reasoning, but usually something is different other than the logo. Maybe a different styleof numbering or lettering, but this is the exact same uni.

BTW...it is officially their "Home alternate jersey". Maybe they got a discount on Sox jersys and swapped logos.

With a low-budget team, you never know...

TheOldRoman
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Well said. You forgot the Mets, who ditched their traditional blue and orange look for "cool" uniforms that are utterly heinous.
Well, I have my fingers crossed that when the Mets move into the new park, they will do the "back to tradition" thing other teams have done and dump the black. Besides being absolutely hideous, it is disgusting, and a slap in the face to Mets fans. It is the equivalent of the Bears switching to teal jerseys, the Bulls wearing purple, etc.

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 02:04 PM
The Sox debuted the sleeveless jerseys in 1999. The Rockies had different uniforms when they started play. They started wearing those sleeveless alternates in 2000, when they added pinstripes to the road jersey, and debuted the purple jersey (which is terribly underrated, and which was apparently dumped in favor of the black vest garbage).
Pinstripes on the road jerseys? Another heinous concept. Where would they have gotten a stupid idea like that?

http://www.jonron.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/santana1.jpg

Palehose13
08-03-2006, 02:06 PM
The sleeveless ones as well? My mind may not be remembering this correctly, but I don't remember the Sox sporting the sleeveless look until the mid-late 90's.

I remember them coming up with them as another "alternate" uniform. I know that teams used to have sleeveless uniforms back in the day (50's/60's/70's), but that they sort of fell out of favor.

I recall seeing the Cincinatti Reds wearing the first sleeveless that I had seen in forever back in like 1995, but I could be wrong.

It seemed that other teams started picking up on that. First, the Marlins, then the Sox. Again, could be wrong.

Clarification?

The Sox went to the sleeveless alternate jersey 3 years ago. I think the Rockies are new this year, but I'm not certain. However, I wasn't necessarily concerned with sleevless balckpinstripe. Just that it is the same exact jersey. Same style numbering, lettering, and outline around the numbers/letters.

edit: For example, the pic of Helton looks like he is in a Sox uniform if you don't look at the helmet.

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 02:07 PM

Clarification?
Both Sox and Rox unveiled their sleeveless unies (a variation on the home pinstripes) in more recent years, as noted by the Old Roman.

TheOldRoman
08-03-2006, 02:09 PM

Yeah, I noticed that about the Rockies' vests last year when we played there. First of all, they are horrible, because the logo does not work on the chest. Secondly, and this is the same with the regular home unis, but the numbers should at very least be outlined in purple, not silver. That is ridiculous.

Palehose13
08-03-2006, 02:09 PM
The Sox debuted the sleeveless jerseys in 1999.
Are you sure? They had the black sleeves on the pinstripe for awhile and I believe that they went to the vest Ozzie's first year managing.

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 02:10 PM
edit: For example, the pic of Helton looks like he is in a Sox uniform if you don't look at the helmet.
Those have to be among the worst unies in baseball, not because they look bad, but because they totally copied another team in everything but the logo. Even the logo has the familiar left-to-right slant of the Sox logo.

Palehose13
08-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I noticed that about the Rockies' vests last year when we played there. First of all, they are horrible, because the logo does not work on the chest. Secondly, and this is the same with the regular home unis, but the numbers should at very least be outlined in purple, not silver. That is ridiculous.

Yeah, I guess that is what really got me too and I was saying that at the very least they should use purple as the outline. I was a little freaked cause I was sitting in a bar and I look up and after a quick glance thought there was a Sox game on, but it was Brewers/Rockies. :?:

TheOldRoman
08-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Are you sure? They had the black sleeves on the pinstripe for awhile and I believe that they went to the vest Ozzie's first year managing.
Ah, allow me to clarify. They debuted sleeveless vests in 1999. The alts were sleeveless from 99-01, and then 05-present. In 02-04, they actually wore "faux-vests" which were regular jerseys with black attaches sleeves instead of vests.

batmanZoSo
08-03-2006, 02:16 PM

They've had the same home uniforms...sans logos...since their inception. This isn't news. Although I dont' recall seeing a sleeveless Rockies jersey before this.

It's not what I'd call a blatant copy though. The similarities lie in the black, which is a pretty standard color, the pinstripes, which are anything but a Sox innovation and the number shape, which are also the most basic style which a number of teams use. Although they do appear to have a little bit of silver in there, but it's sparkly silver. Ours is more of a silver gray.

TheOldRoman
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Pinstripes on the road jerseys? Another heinous concept. Where would they have gotten a stupid idea like that?

http://www.jonron.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/santana1.jpg
I actually like the road pinstripe look. My favorite was the mid-90s Reds jerseys.
http://www.noblespirit.com/2893/1313304/1.jpg

TheOldRoman
08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
They've had the same home uniforms...sans logos...since their inception. This isn't news. Although I dont' recall seeing a sleeveless Rockies jersey before this.

It's not what I'd call a blatant copy though. The similarities lie in the black, which is a pretty standard color, the pinstripes, which are anything but a Sox innovation and the number shape, which are also the most basic style which a number of teams use. Although they do appear to have a little bit of silver in there, but it's sparkly silver. Ours is more of a silver gray.
Well, you are kinda right. The Rockies have had basically the same home unis the whole time. In 2000, when they redid their unis, they changed the ROCKIES script slightly (removed all purple), and added numbers underneath (which look absolutely horrible on that jersey). They changed the road unis to the purple pinstripes, which was their third road jersey in their 8 years (the first was changed after the first season). The vests first appeared in 2000, along with the purple alternates.

Palehose13
08-03-2006, 02:34 PM

Not a blatant copy?
http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/images/2006/08/03/rGbN6aFN.jpg

I'm not saying that the pinstripes were a Sox innovation. Black may be a standard color now, but IIRC, the Sox were the first team in baseball to have black as their main color. The Sox also individually letter the players name which is not common practice in baseball. Most teams use a "nameplate".

I understand that a lot of teams have gone to black as an alternate uniform, but if this isn't the same exact uniform I need to go for an eye exam.

batmanZoSo
08-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, you are kinda right. The Rockies have had basically the same home unis the whole time. In 2000, when they redid their unis, they changed the ROCKIES script slightly (removed all purple), and added numbers underneath (which look absolutely horrible on that jersey). They changed the road unis to the purple pinstripes, which was their third road jersey in their 8 years (the first was changed after the first season). The vests first appeared in 2000, along with the purple alternates.

I always kind of liked the Rockies for their uniforms being similar to ours. That and Larry Walker is one of my favorite players of all time. If they went to the World Series I'd root for them and just squint my eyes and pretend it's the Sox again.

And who wouldn't want to look like the Sox? We have some damn fine uniforms if I may say so. They'll be around a long time (let's hope anyway...they're certainly of that quality at least).

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Well, I have my fingers crossed that when the Mets move into the new park, they will do the "back to tradition" thing other teams have done and dump the black. Besides being absolutely hideous, it is disgusting, and a slap in the face to Mets fans. It is the equivalent of the Bears switching to teal jerseys, the Bulls wearing purple, etc.
What's frightening is that the Mets' uniforms could be even worse. What if they move into their new digs and decide they need some pimped out new threads to add some flash? How about black jerseys with orange pinstripes? Road unies with alternating black and blue pinstripes? Orange hats with black trim? The horrors are endless!

TheOldRoman
08-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Not a blatant copy?
http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/images/2006/08/03/rGbN6aFN.jpg

I'm not saying that the pinstripes were a Sox innovation. Black may be a standard color now, but IIRC, the Sox were the first team in baseball to have black as their main color. The Sox also individually letter the players name which is not common practice in baseball. Most teams use a "nameplate".

I understand that a lot of teams have gone to black as an alternate uniform, but if this isn't the same exact uniform I need to go for an eye exam.
The Giants had black as their main color long before the Sox switched to it originally in 49. The Browns became the Orioles and changed to black and orange, and their colors have been the same since.
As for the nameplate, most teams don't use one. Teams have moved away from them in the last few years. The only teams that do are the Twins, Mariners, Pirates, Padres, A's, Rays. and Indians.

Palehose13
08-03-2006, 03:20 PM
The Giants had black as their main color long before the Sox switched to it originally in 49. The Browns became the Orioles and changed to black and orange, and their colors have been the same since.
As for the nameplate, most teams don't use one. Teams have moved away from them in the last few years. The only teams that do are the Twins, Mariners, Pirates, Padres, A's, Rays. and Indians.

Either way, IMO, it's still the exact same freaking uniform and that was my point. I wasn't complaining or calling "copycat", but it struck me as odd. Usually there are little nuances that distinguish between teams with similar unifors, but in this case, IMO, the only difference is the logo on the front.

FloridaTigers
08-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Heh, being a Tigers fan, I've realized how thankful we are when it comes to jerseys/uniforms. The team sticks with tradition. Just check this out.

http://tinyurl.com/echwz Cobb, probably early 1920s.

http://acollins822.home.att.net/al_kaline.gif Kaline, early 1950s.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/images/photos6.27/8239_512.jpg Gibson - 1984

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20060413/all/l1866807.jpg Verlander, 2006

As you can see, our home uniform as not changed AT ALL since 1934, and has had maybe some very minor chances since the 1920s. Our away uniforms haven't changed much either. Our current away uniform is actually similar to the 1950s and 1960s away uniform. The only change is just theres a bit more color in the modern version. Seeing teams like the Astros, Rockies, and Marlins change their uniforms every 3 seasons makes me thankful my team isn't an eyesore.

MarySwiss
08-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Then again, maybe your team's marketing department is suffering from an appalling lack of imagination.

Edit: and who says your team is not an eyesore?

TheOldRoman
08-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Heh, being a Tigers fan, I've realized how thankful we are when it comes to jerseys/uniforms. The team sticks with tradition. Just check this out.

http://tinyurl.com/echwz Cobb, probably early 1920s.

http://acollins822.home.att.net/al_kaline.gif Kaline, early 1950s.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/images/photos6.27/8239_512.jpg Gibson - 1984

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20060413/all/l1866807.jpg Verlander, 2006

As you can see, our home uniform as not changed AT ALL since 1934, and has had maybe some very minor chances since the 1920s. Our away uniforms haven't changed much either. Our current away uniform is actually similar to the 1950s and 1960s away uniform. The only change is just theres a bit more color in the modern version. Seeing teams like the Astros, Rockies, and Marlins change their uniforms every 3 seasons makes me thankful my team isn't an eyesore.
I agree with you, and I think the White Sox have finally found a look that they will wear for decades to come. The only thing that bothers me about the Tigers home unis is the lack of orange. As an alumnus of Illinois, I love navy and orange together. The Tigers road jerseys are among the best in the league, IMO.

FloridaTigers
08-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Well, the Sox have obviously found something good if other teams are copying it. Lets just hope they don't repeat the 1980s look...

MISoxfan
08-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Didn't the Rockies evolve from a Sox AAA team? I heard that once here and just accepted it as fact, maybe I'm wrong.

TheDarkGundam
08-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Going off these pics from the MLB site, let's see if you can guess which is a Sox jersey!
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4709&d=1154843560

batmanZoSo
08-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Going off these pics from the MLB site, let's see if you can guess which is a Sox jersey!
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4709&d=1154843560

I think I need a bigger picture so I can see detail. But I'm gonna say left is Sox because I see the gray outline. I'm not sure though.

RealMenWearBlack
08-06-2006, 03:49 AM

I'll go with the one on the right because the "1" doesn't look right on the one on the left and the MLB logo is darker on the right than on the left (the one on the left could be purple).

bigfoot
08-06-2006, 05:57 AM
The Sox went to the sleeveless alternate jersey 3 years ago. I think the Rockies are new this year, but I'm not certain. However, I wasn't necessarily concerned with sleevless balckpinstripe. Just that it is the same exact jersey. Same style numbering, lettering, and outline around the numbers/letters.

How soon we forget about "Big Klu"
http://www.1959whitesox.com/images/homer.jpg

RKMeibalane
08-06-2006, 12:52 PM

Colorado was awarded an expansion team in '91, but it was some time later that their color scheme and uniforms were designed.