PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8-4

Lip Man 1
08-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Three items from the plethora of daily Sox historical notes (and memories...)

August 4, 1985- On the same day Rod Carew got his 3,000th hit in Anaheim, Sox pitcher Tom Seaver wins his 300th career game. Seaver beats the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, 4-1 with a complete game. He gets late inning defensive help when Harold Baines climbs the right field wall to rob Dave Winfield of an extra base hit with men on base. Seaver retired Don Baylor, on a fly to left for the final out of the game. The ball was caught by Reid Nichols.

August 4, 1993- After years of getting brush back pitches thrown at Sox hitters from Nolan Ryan (which really escalated after both Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen went back to back off him in 1990), Robin Ventura snaps in the 3rd inning of a game in Texas and charges the mound. Ryan gets the better of the fight but Ventura and his teammates find strength from the brawl and use it during the stretch run which would lead to a divisional title.

August 4, 2000- Carlton Fisk is inducted into the Baseball Hall Of Fame. Even though Fisk played in more games and for more years with the White Sox, he goes in wearing the colors of the Red Sox. Fisk explains to the Chicago media, that his choice in no way reflected any animosity towards White Sox fans, who he said treated him and his family very well, but was based in part on his treatment by the organization and ownership.

Lip

Shakey Bonez
08-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Ryan gets the better of the fight

Now that's an understatement

Dan Mega
08-03-2006, 12:02 PM
August 4, 2000- Carlton Fisk is inducted into the Baseball Hall Of Fame. Even though Fisk played in more games and for more years with the White Sox, he goes in wearing the colors of the Red Sox. Fisk explains to the Chicago media, that his choice in no way reflected any animosity towards White Sox fans, who he said treated him and his family very well, but was based in part on his treatment by the organization and ownership.

Lip

Do you happen to have his exact quotes?

This moment in Sox history hurt.

Paulwny
08-03-2006, 01:24 PM
August 4, 1985- On the same day Rod Carew got his 3,000th hit in Anaheim, Sox pitcher Tom Seaver wins his 300th career game. Seaver beats the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, 4-1 with a complete game. He gets late inning defensive help when Harold Baines climbs the right field wall to rob Dave Winfield of an extra base hit with men on base. Seaver retired Don Baylor, on a fly to left for the final out of the game.
Lip

I remember watching this game, it was also Phil Rizzuto day.
If I'm not mistaken this is the game where Harold, while making that spectacular catch, banged his knee on the brick wall leading to his chronic knee problems. Outside of sox fans very few people know that Harold was an above average RF.

Britt Burns
08-03-2006, 01:50 PM
If I'm not mistaken this is the game where Harold, while making that spectacular catch, banged his knee on the brick wall leading to his chronic knee problems. Outside of sox fans very few people know that Harold was an above average RF.

I remember when LaRussa tried Harold in center for a few games. He would never have been a Rowand or BA, and the big dimensions at Old Comiskey wouldn't have helped, but I bet he could have handled it full time quite nicely before his knees gave. I think I would have rather seen him there than Rudy Law's noodle of an arm in center. As it was, Harold was an exceptional right fielder. Very strong arm.

DumpJerry
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
:nolanventura
Ahhh...............feels like yesterday.

stl_sox_fan
08-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Noogie Patrol!

August 4, 1993- After years of getting brush back pitches thrown at Sox hitters from Nolan Ryan (which really escalated after both Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen went back to back off him in 1990), Robin Ventura snaps in the 3rd inning of a game in Texas and charges the mound. Ryan gets the better of the fight but Ventura and his teammates find strength from the brawl and use it during the stretch run which would lead to a divisional title.

Lip
Ha! Man I remember that. Sox didn't have much luck rushing the mound. Isn't that the same season that Jorge Bell rushed the mound and went head over heels instead?

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/78/pics/78anerds2.jpg
Todd: Oh, that's hysterical that you mentioned "traffic", because here comes the Noogie Patrol! Here's those Fall noogies you ordered! Black and blue is going to be a big color this year, my dear!

TDog
08-03-2006, 02:10 PM
I remember when LaRussa tried Harold in center for a few games. ... As it was, Harold was an exceptional right fielder. Very strong arm.

People forget how good a right fielder Harold Baines was. He would have thrown out more runners going from first to third on hits to right if more had dared to run on his arm.

Years later while he was signing an autograph for me, I told him people have forgotten how good a right fielder he was. He laughed. "I've forgotten how good a right fielder I was," he told me.

And, Lip, when you get to August 12, you might look up 1967, 1972 and 1977. Going from memory I think the White Sox were knocked out of first on that day all three years. When the 1983 Sox made it past Aug. 12, I knew they had the division.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Dan:

Sorry I don't have the exact quotes. But I remember reading in the local papers where Fisk specifically thanked Sox fans and mentioned that his children were born in Chicago... not Boston, that he played more innings and more seasons for the White Sox and that he still lives in Chicago, not Boston. He then went on to speak about how his decision was based on his treatment from ownership because of a few 'controversies.'
-----

Harold Baines was a great right fielder with a very strong arm. He come completely 'over the top' putting his whole body into the throw and it would go off dead on a line.

I don't know about Baines hurting his knee on that catch in Yankee Stadium or not. I do know the wall was padded.
-----
T-Dog:

Wrong on one of the three! (And I did have something planned for later in the month regarding August 1967.

Lip

EastCoastSoxFan
08-03-2006, 03:51 PM

:hawk
"Reid Nichols camps underneath it.....HISTORY!"
(Actually, I don't remember if Hawk or Drysdale was doing play-by-play at that particular moment, but I distinctly remember the call.)

Lip Man 1
08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
East:

It was Hawk.

Lip

batmanZoSo
08-03-2006, 03:54 PM

I remember watching that in the living room one summer's day. Cali boy Ventura had no chance against Ryan.

:hawk
No chance.

miker
08-03-2006, 04:07 PM
I remember watching that in the living room one summer's day. Cali boy Ventura had no chance against Ryan.
No he didn't...but I preferred Robin's reaction (as short sighted as it turned out to be) to our current pattern of just letting them hit us until we're too injured to play.

LongLiveFisk
08-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Dan:

Sorry I don't have the exact quotes. But I remember reading in the local papers where Fisk specifically thanked Sox fans and mentioned that his children were RAISED in Chicago... not Boston, that he played more innings and more seasons for the White Sox and that he still lives in Chicago, not Boston. He then went on to speak about how his decision was based on his treatment from ownership because of a few 'controversies.'

Lip

Not a biggie, but I fixed that for you. :smile:

TDog
08-03-2006, 04:15 PM
T-Dog:

Wrong on one of the three! (And I did have something planned for later in the month regarding August 1967.

Lip

Maybe I was a day off, probably on 1972. The Sox and A's (I loathe the A's) split a four-game series in Oakland about that time, and the lead went back and fourth. There was a 19-inning loss that was suspended after 17 innings and a pair of two-hitters turned in by Sox pitching, including an 11-inning complete game win by Wilbur Wood that, as I remember, moved the Sox ahead of the A's by percentage points. That was an epic series.

StatHead21
08-03-2006, 08:02 PM

One of the most famous brawls in Baseball history.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2006, 11:37 AM
T-Dog:

Read Ed Herrmann's interview on it at WSI.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-04-2006, 12:47 PM

August 4, 1985- On the same day Rod Carew got his 3,000th hit in Anaheim, Sox pitcher Tom Seaver wins his 300th career game. Seaver beats the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, 4-1 with a complete game. He gets late inning defensive help when Harold Baines climbs the right field wall to rob Dave Winfield of an extra base hit with men on base. Seaver retired Don Baylor, on a fly to left for the final out of the game. The ball was caught by Reid Nichols.

Lip

You forgot something...

August 4, 2003: In an otherwise forgettable loss to the Kansas City Royals, Frank Thomas records his 2000th career hit, a home run off KC reliever Terry Fields.

jongarlandlover
08-04-2006, 01:24 PM

haha, that's hilarious. i was too little to remember that, but i've heard about it. that picture is definitely amusing.

35th&Shields
08-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Ryan just got him in that headlock. If Ventura had hit him at the shoulders he would have beat the snot out of that old man. It's also too bad that this is what Robin is remembered for by a lot of people outside Chicago. He was a great, great major league player.