PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones placed on waivers.....

White Sox Randy
08-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Any chance here ? I know it's very slim with the whole waiver process, but KW has always loved him.

He's signed for $ 13 mil. next year.

Fenway
08-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Any chance here ? I know it's very slim with the whole waiver process, but KW has always loved him.

He's signed for $ 13 mil. next year.

If he winds up in New York :angry:

Boston talked to Atlanta about him but the Braves wanted too much

Sox Fan 35
08-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Wow, didn't see that comming.

Didn't KW try to get him before the trade deadline?

"wrong" sox fan
08-03-2006, 11:08 AM
As someone pointed out before, Boston wanted him and the braves asked for a lot, I believe something along the lines of:

Hansen, Lester, Crisp and another prospect (Moss maybe?)

I'm not sure if the White Sox could do any better than that and if they could, I doubt it would be worth it. Jones is a wonderful player and all but they pretty much asked for

Hansen, a 22 year old who while haivng a bit of a rough time this season is often times compared to H. Street. He's got an explosive fast ball as well as a slider (that when on) is simply awesome.

Lester: A guy most people ranked above Papelbon going into this season (I suspect he will become a very good number 2 during his peak and a strong 3) At the ripe old age of 22 he has 4 years in the minors under his belt wiht a K per nine at 8.66, with his best season comming last year in AA where he just dominated the league sport a K per nine over 9 and ahalf and an ERA aroun 2.50.

Crisp: A struggling MLB player who is still young and has a decent track record in the majors and is cheap.

and someone else

I love Jones and I'm not usually the type guilty for over valuing my teams prospects but if this deal went down Boston would have been taking the worst of it.

KMKsuburbannoise
08-03-2006, 11:28 AM
would like to see him come to the south side

Flight #24
08-03-2006, 11:32 AM
No news here. Virtually EVERYONE gets put on waivers now, because they're still revocable. So even the Sox would likely put Garcia, Vazquez, heck - maybe even Buehrle on just in case they can swing a deal that makes sense for them.

If someone claims said player, you then have the window to work a trade or they simply pull the guy back. Or more likely, someone will claim the player to block and there won't ever be any trade discussions. I wouldn't be at all surprised if KW did that for a guy like Jones (if he dropped to the Sox). The Braves are most assuredly NOT letting Andruw go for nothing, so there's no risk and it prevents anyone else from making that deal.

"wrong" sox fan
08-03-2006, 11:35 AM
No news here. Virtually EVERYONE gets put on waivers now, because they're still revocable. So even the Sox would likely put Garcia, Vazquez, heck - maybe even Buehrle on just in case they can swing a deal that makes sense for them.

If someone claims said player, you then have the window to work a trade or they simply pull the guy back. Or more likely, someone will claim the player to block and there won't ever be any trade discussions. I wouldn't be at all surprised if KW did that for a guy like Jones (if he dropped to the Sox). The Braves are most assuredly NOT letting Andruw go for nothing, so there's no risk and it prevents anyone else from making that deal.

I don't think that happens as often as fans think, most GM's know that they'll have to work stuff out with each other in the future and often times let deals ride on through. I mean Giles got traded past the deadline, you'd think someone might want a guy with and OPS over 1.000

FedEx227
08-03-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't think that happens as often as fans think, most GM's know that they'll have to work stuff out with each other in the future and often times let deals ride on through. I mean Giles got traded past the deadline, you'd think someone might want a guy with and OPS over 1.000

No it does happen ALOT. As Flight said teams do it not to offically trade someone but to see what the value on someone would be. No doubt in my mind that Kenny has plans of throwing Vazquez, Garcia and Buehrle on there and seeing if anybody bites.

"wrong" sox fan
08-03-2006, 11:48 AM
No it does happen ALOT. As Flight said teams do it not to offically trade someone but to see what the value on someone would be. No doubt in my mind that Kenny has plans of throwing Vazquez, Garcia and Buehrle on there and seeing if anybody bites.

I meant blocking a trade by making a claim.

samram
08-03-2006, 11:49 AM
The Padres were the worst team in the NL that year, IIRC, so no one else could claim him.

Edit: I mean, no one else had a chance before the Padres did.

Flight #24
08-03-2006, 11:56 AM

IMO you're dead wrong on that. No GM worth his salt is going to allow a competitor to improve when at no cost to his team, he can prevent it. I can see it for a marginal guy, but not anyone who's going to make an impact, even a relatively small one.

Basically, you won't see team putting in bulk claims on anyone & everyone. But anyone of substance - yes.

As for Giles, see the response already given.

samram
08-03-2006, 11:56 AM

I think the only guys who wouldn't be on waivers at some point are PK, JD, Contreras (?), and Jenks (maybe McCarthy).

RoobarbPie
08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I remember hearing Steve Phillips the other day saying on BBTN or SC that he had made over 200 waiver claims on players after the deadline his last year as GM. I know he had more $$$ at his disposal being that he was with the Mets, but that's just one GM... So I'm in the group that believes this happens A LOT.

Chicken Dinner
08-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Usually all the guys with big salaries go on waivers.

bluestar
08-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I remember hearing Steve Phillips the other day saying on BBTN or SC that he had made over 200 waiver claims on players after the deadline his last year as GM. I know he had more $$$ at his disposal being that he was with the Mets, but that's just one GM... So I'm in the group that believes this happens A LOT.

Phillips was the GM that more or less broke the long held "code of conduct" or gentlemen's agreement regarding waiver wire claims.

It is no surprise that the Braves put A. Jones on waivers, but it would be a surprise if someone claims him and the Braves do not revoke the claim.

bluestar
08-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Garland, Buehrle, Garcia and Podsednik all cleared waivers last year for the Sox. El Duque, Politte, and Marte were put on waivers, claimed by other teams, and the Sox revoked the waiver.

"wrong" sox fan
08-03-2006, 01:02 PM
ok well atleast one poster can agree that I'm not crazy and that at one time GM's didn't try to block most trade.

On Giles, whoops, I should have researched that. Given the fact that they were the worst team in the NL that trade is even more insane.

Soxfanspcu11
08-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Would love to see Jones in a Sox uniform. But not with that contract, unless Atlanta ate a bunch of it (which I'm not sure how that works with waivers).

And as Hawk would aptly say, "Where would he play?" I'm assuming the concenses would be to have him in centerfield. And that of course would mean that we say goodbye to Brian, which I REALLY don't like considering that Brian is finally starting to come around at the plate and, IMHO, has the same defensive ability as Jones.

Not to mention the fact that Brian is much younger and capable of much more as he ages.

As I said, Jones would look good in a Sox uniform, but he's not worth all the hassle, what we would have to give up, and what we might have to pay.

Does anyone know, definetively how picking up a contract works with waivers? I mean, could there be some deal made, theoretically, where the Sox pick up Jones, but Atlanta would eat most of his $$$?

Flight #24
08-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know, definetively how picking up a contract works with waivers? I mean, could there be some deal made, theoretically, where the Sox pick up Jones, but Atlanta would eat most of his $$$?

Waiver trades work the same as regular trades. So Atlanta could pick up all of the $$$ or none, depending on how the negotiations go.

Based on earlier reported requests, seems unlikely they'd pick up much if any of the deal unless they were getting a ludicrous haul in return (McCarthy, Fields, Sweeney, +).

Jjav829
08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
When I first saw the thread title on the main page, all I got was "Andruw Jones placed on..." My initial thought was, "Damnit! I knew he was going to end up on the DL and screw my Roto team." I was relieved to see "waivers" instead of "DL" once I clicked the thread. Phew! :D:

And I'd still take Andruw for the right price. :thumbsup:

"wrong" sox fan
08-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Would love to see Jones in a Sox uniform. But not with that contract, unless Atlanta ate a bunch of it (which I'm not sure how that works with waivers).

And as Hawk would aptly say, "Where would he play?" I'm assuming the concenses would be to have him in centerfield. And that of course would mean that we say goodbye to Brian, which I REALLY don't like considering that Brian is finally starting to come around at the plate and, IMHO, has the same defensive ability as Jones.

Not to mention the fact that Brian is much younger and capable of much more as he ages.

As I said, Jones would look good in a Sox uniform, but he's not worth all the hassle, what we would have to give up, and what we might have to pay.

Brian Anderson is capable of much more than he is doing now?

or

Brian Anderson is capable of much more than A. Jones?

I suspect you meant the first one.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Do minor leaguers who are not on the 40-man major league roster have to go through the waiver process to be traded during the waiver period?

White Sox Randy
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm not advocating a trade for Jones but just for fun, if we HAD to trade for him, I would be willing to send Fields, Pods and Haeger / Broadway for him.

I think that would really increase our chances this year and next. That way Mack. is our backup leftfielder. Sorry Pablo.

I like our bullpen for next year - just add one more tough righthander.

Trade Garcia for pitching prospects and put Brandon in the rotation - we'll be fine.

"wrong" sox fan
08-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Given what they asked from Boston, do you think that would get it done?

Fields is a very nice prospect but he's also a third basemen. They traded away a better third base prosect than fields this past season.

Podsednik I suppose is about the same value as Crisp, I don't know much about Heager but he had a WHIP of 1.50 last season in the minors and while he is having a very nice season in AA this year I would assume he has less value than Hansen.

Chisox1500
08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Just because they asked for that much doesn't mean they will recieve. Ask for too much then negotiate. That's how deals work.

White Sox Randy
08-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Right. Firstly, they may have asked for the moon but I don't think that they came close to getting it.

Also, he'll be down to one year left on his contract and I don't think they've had intentions of extending him. He is still young but has a lot of mileage on him.

Anyway, who knows. But, I would love that OF - BA in left, Jones in center and Dye in right - probably the best all around in the game.

"wrong" sox fan
08-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Just because they asked for that much doesn't mean they will recieve. Ask for too much then negotiate. That's how deals work.

Boston tried to negotiate, the braves didn't want to part with Jones without getting a ton back. Not that I blame them for that.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2006, 04:12 PM
IMO you're dead wrong on that. No GM worth his salt is going to allow a competitor to improve when at no cost to his team, he can prevent it. I can see it for a marginal guy, but not anyone who's going to make an impact, even a relatively small one.

Basically, you won't see team putting in bulk claims on anyone & everyone. But anyone of substance - yes.

As for Giles, see the response already given.Putting in a waiver claim means you could wind up getting stuck with a big contract, (See Myers, Randy) so teams are pretty careful about blocking. It can be a very risky move.

Domeshot17
08-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Money talks on Waivers, Boston put manny on IRREVOCABLE Waivers 2 years ago (maybe 3) and no one touched him.

I would think because of money and the situation with ATL this may get it done

Vazquez-Hermanson-Sweeney-Rogowski

Hermanson there isnt a spot for him right now, Vazquez is expendable and the braves love trying to ressurect careers (Hampton). Sweeney and Rogowski are expendable prospects.

Flight #24
08-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Putting in a waiver claim means you could wind up getting stuck with a big contract, (See Myers, Randy) so teams are pretty careful about blocking. It can be a very risky move.

Not for a guy like Jones who actually produces. Larry Walker, etc type guys - yes. But Jones doesn't fall into that mix.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Money talks on Waivers, Boston put manny on IRREVOCABLE Waivers 2 years ago (maybe 3) and no one touched him.

I would think because of money and the situation with ATL this may get it done

Vazquez-Hermanson-Sweeney-Rogowski

Hermanson there isnt a spot for him right now, Vazquez is expendable and the braves love trying to ressurect careers (Hampton). Sweeney and Rogowski are expendable prospects.They can sign Hermanson for nothing after tomorrow and they already have a pretty fair 3B. I don't think that would get it done unless they really wanted to unload him. My guess is they'd have to include Anderson. (But maybe Kenny can talk them into Mackowiak.:cool:)

Edit: But that can't happen because Anderson would NEVER clear waivers.
Edit2: Rogo is also on the 40-man so he'd have to clear waivers, too. Not gonna happen.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Aaanndd: BBTN is now reporting that Andruw Jones has CLEARED waivers. How about that?

StillMissOzzie
08-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Another thing I heard on BBTN, just to muddy the water, is that as of 8/15/06, Jones becomes a 5/10 player, and as such, can veto ANY trade he doesn't like. If Atlanta wants to make something happen, look for it in the next 10 days. And with the Braves' faint hope of the wild card fading fast, it wouldn't surprise me.

SMO
:gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2006, 10:39 AM
But, I would love that OF - BA in left, Jones in center and Dye in right - probably the best all around in the game.

Anderson still is the best fielder of the three and should play center. In this deepink fantasy Jones should play left.

Again, a question for anyone who knows: do players not on the 40-man roster have to clear waivers before they can be traded?

Ol' No. 2
08-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Again, a question for anyone who knows: do players not on the 40-man roster have to clear waivers before they can be traded?I almost certain they do not. But players on optional assignment do. That's why trades after the deadline generally don't include prospects or young players on the 40-man roster - they'd never make it through waivers.

Jaffar
08-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Unkown team put a claim on Jones and is trying to work out a deal with the Braves as we speak...per ESPN radio 1000

Flight #24
08-04-2006, 02:22 PM
As long as it's not the Twins/RedSox, we're OK. If it's the Sox, then I can only hope it's not a deal involving McCarthy or more than 1 of Fields/Anderson/Sweeney.

At this point, I'd be thrilled to have the Sox pony up (using all the revenues from the skyrocketing popularity reported in the Trib), take on the contract, and give up say Sweeney & Broadway for him. Or better yet, Vazquez & Sweeney for Jones & maybe Danys Baez (or another reliever).

Or what the heck - Vazquez&Pods&Sweeney&Broadway for Smoltz & Jones!!

infohawk
08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
A New England paper is reporting (http://www.eagletribune.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_215064533) that the Red Sox have had an interest in acquiring Jones and flipping him to Houston for Roy Oswalt. If the Red Sox acquired either Jones or Oswalt, that would be very bad for our Sox. I have to wonder, however, if KW would get involved in this deal. I think that the White Sox had a worse record than the Red Sox on the day Jones was placed on waivers, giving them priority over Boston. I was mildly interested in Jones, but am very intrigued by Oswalt. I know it would depend on what Atlanta would want for Jones, but KW might reconsider if it means aquiring a difference-maker like Oswalt. Again, I'm just basing my thoughts on what was mentioned in this article. Who knows what's really going on and if Oswalt would even be placed on waivers.

Flight #24
08-04-2006, 02:32 PM
A New England paper is reporting (http://www.eagletribune.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_215064533) that the Red Sox have had an interest in acquiring Jones and flipping him to Houston for Roy Oswalt. If the Red Sox acquired either Jones or Oswalt, that would be very bad for our Sox. I have to wonder, however, if KW would get involved in this deal. I think that the White Sox had a worse record than the Red Sox on the day Jones was placed on waivers, giving them priority over Boston. I was mildly interested in Jones, but am very intrigued by Oswalt. I know it would depend on what Atlanta would want for Jones, but KW might reconsider if it means aquiring a difference-maker like Oswalt. Again, I'm just basing my thoughts on what was mentioned in this article. Who knows what's really going on.

Technically, the White Sox have had a worse record than the Red Sox for a little while now, IIRC. As for Oswalt, I see no way he wouldn't get claimed by someone before getting to the top teams. There's absolutely no way in hell that the Astros are letting him go for nothing, and I think he's an FA after next year anyway so even as a non-contender, you claim him and if you're stuck with him you have a young ace on a 1-year deal, which is one of the best things to have in this game.

infohawk
08-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Technically, the White Sox have had a worse record than the Red Sox for a little while now, IIRC. As for Oswalt, I see no way he wouldn't get claimed by someone before getting to the top teams. There's absolutely no way in hell that the Astros are letting him go for nothing, and I think he's an FA after next year anyway so even as a non-contender, you claim him and if you're stuck with him you have a young ace on a 1-year deal, which is one of the best things to have in this game.
Yeah, I tend to agree with you about Oswalt not making it through waivers. It would be a long-shot.

Mohoney
08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Putting in a waiver claim means you could wind up getting stuck with a big contract, (See Myers, Randy) so teams are pretty careful about blocking. It can be a very risky move.

Right. You have to be absolutely sure that the other GM will pull the player back, or you have to really like the player and be willing to pay his salary.

Somebody brought up a good point that the Braves would almost certainly pull Jones back instead of risking losing him for nothing except the price of the waiver claim. Not when they actually have a shot to get the Wild Card.

Flight #24
08-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Another interesting point is that the Braves would have to be willing to accept either players who themselves cleared waivers or who are not on the 40-man roster. I'm assuming any deal would be structured around the latter.

I don't know, but I'd have to guess that there wouldn't be much that most teams would have not on the 40-man that would interest the Braves over just keeping Andruw. Anyone with knowledge of the BoSox/Twins/Tiggers systems care to comment? The BoSox best prospects are all in the bigs right now, so I can't see them having what it takes to make the deal unless Atlanta's making it almost strictly about $$$.

Taliesinrk
08-04-2006, 03:58 PM
does anyone know when we'll find out which team was granted the waiver claim? do we have to wait until Sat.? or if Atl. takes him back will we ever find out?

Ol' No. 2
08-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Unkown team put a claim on Jones and is trying to work out a deal with the Braves as we speak...per ESPN radio 1000Believe about 1/10 of what you hear about waiver claims. MLB is VERY closed-mouthed about this for obvious reasons, but that doesn't stop people who want to appear "in the know" from pretending they know something. And considering ESPN 1000 means Bruce Levineline, even that 1/10 sounds too high.

Taliesinrk
08-04-2006, 08:32 PM
it's a front page story on ESPN.com; for what it's worth..

StatHead21
08-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Andruw Jones will be on the Braves come September.

Hokiesox
08-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Further complicating the issue is he becomes a 5/10 player on august 15.

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Further complicating the issue is he becomes a 5/10 player on august 15.Which is why they put him on waivers now. It doesn't mean he'll be traded. They're just keeping their options open.

caulfield12
08-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Someone blocked the waiver claim, but it wasn't the White Sox. This was substantiated in one of the papers this morning. In that situation, the teams have something like 24 hours to work out a deal that's mutually agreed upon or the player just comes right back as if nothing happened at all. It's pretty normal stuff.....gives the GM a good idea how much his players are worth and how they're perceived. I think Manny Ramirez and A-Rod are probably put through every year but obviously their contracts make a deal almost impossible.

Not sure how much to believe about the rumored McCarthy for Jones deal...if KW actually turned it down, or how many other players the Braves were looking for in return. I know ATL has hit a rough patch again, so their leverage isn't quite so high...although you can lose 20 games in a row and still be in the WC chase over there.

Taliesinrk
08-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Someone blocked the waiver claim, but it wasn't the White Sox. This was substantiated in one of the papers this morning. In that situation, the teams have something like 24 hours to work out a deal that's mutually agreed upon or the player just comes right back as if nothing happened at all. It's pretty normal stuff.....gives the GM a good idea how much his players are worth and how they're perceived. I think Manny Ramirez and A-Rod are probably put through every year but obviously their contracts make a deal almost impossible.

Not sure how much to believe about the rumored McCarthy for Jones deal...if KW actually turned it down, or how many other players the Braves were looking for in return. I know ATL has hit a rough patch again, so their leverage isn't quite so high...although you can lose 20 games in a row and still be in the WC chase over there.

sorry, I don't live in the Chicago area... how was it "substantiated" this morning? Just curious as to why it couldn't be the White Sox.

Also, did the paper make any reference as to whom it could be? I certainly hope it wouldn't be the BoSox, Twins, or Yanks. I can't imagine the Twins being able to front that kind of money. Also, based upon what I heard/ read, it was my understanding that multiple teams put claims in on Jones. Therefore, I can't imagine seeing him slip all the way to the Yanks/ BoSox.. but who knows?

caulfield12
08-05-2006, 12:12 PM
WISHFUL THINKING: There was speculation Friday afternoon that the Sox were the mystery team to claim Atlanta Braves All-Star center fielder Andruw Jones off waivers.
It especially made sense considering how Williams had coveted Jones several years ago, talking to the Braves about a trade in 2004. But before the game with the Blue Jays even started, several Sox sources cleared the air that they were not the team.

from suntimes.com