PDA

View Full Version : Have I gone insane?

Boondock Saint
08-03-2006, 09:18 AM
So I was having a few beers with some buddies the other night (this may have brought all of this about), and something occured to me, and it sounded more and more plausible as I thought on it. So I decided to let my buddies in on my revelation. I think that the Pirates will finish 3rd in the NL Central next year. With the Cubs yet to even begin rebuilding, the Brewers just starting to repair a damaged team, the Astros getting older/not improving through trades, and the Pirates being young and on the upswing, I see it as totally possible that they finish in 3rd behind the Cards and Reds. What do you think?

fquaye149
08-03-2006, 09:33 AM
So I was having a few beers with some buddies the other night (this may have brought all of this about), and something occured to me, and it sounded more and more plausible as I thought on it. So I decided to let my buddies in on my revelation. I think that the Pirates will finish 3rd in the NL Central next year. With the Cubs yet to even begin rebuilding, the Brewers just starting to repair a damaged team, the Astros getting older/not improving through trades, and the Pirates being young and on the upswing, I see it as totally possible that they finish in 3rd behind the Cards and Reds. What do you think?

I think you're insane.

As bad as the Brewers' and Reds' pitching has been it's light years beyond pittsburgh's. The Astros have a much better lineup even if their pitching does fall through. The Bucs might finish ahead of the Cubs (although I doubt even that will happen) but they will not finish 3rd.

russ99
08-03-2006, 12:09 PM

No, you're not insane. :D: The Pirates are definately on the upswing, but 3rd is way too much to expect next year.

IMO: the Brewers are a player or two away from being the class of the Central, and should be next year. The Astros and Cards will have a bit of a downturn after this season, but they're rebuilding on the fly like the Braves did all those years and will continue to be contenders. The Reds will probably slip back a bit, especially after that horrible trade, and the Cubs are surely headed for the basement with their new manager and broken pitching staff unless they spend like maniacs in the offseason. I'd give the Pirates 4th or 5th next year.

Deuce
08-03-2006, 12:16 PM
I think you had a few too many.

PKalltheway
08-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I think you're insane. This is a bad, bad baseball team. Believe me, if you have the slighest thought of the Pirates actually turning it around, the front office there will definitely make a stupid move and set the team back another five years. Don't get your hopes up. This is a team that will continue to finish under .500 for at least another four years, maybe more.

monkeypants
08-03-2006, 03:23 PM

In a Venn diagram of insane, stupid and drunk you would have to be in the area that overlaps all three. :tongue:

The Pirates are my second favorite team and they are going nowhere in the next year. It's all about pitching and they have none. As PKalltheway said, if there is any sight of the Pirates turning it around, the front office will somehow find a way to screw things up. They are bad in an already bad National League which is saying a lot.