PDA

View Full Version : Cotts=Garbare Too!

Qdaddy
08-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Anyone else getting tired of Neal's same song & dance?

Mod edit: Let keep the analogies respectable.

I know I started the whole politte=garbage trend too but Cotts is on a very fast track cutville. He can't even do mop up duty now. I'm sure I'll hear how great he was last year and I'm overreacting, but I said thing about Cliff and now "HE GONE"

Hope Neal can bounce back soon with the rest of our pitching staff.

GO SOX!!! LET'S START PLAYING SOME GOOD WHITESOX BASEBALL!!!

Qdaddy
08-03-2006, 12:23 AM
LOL....It must be time for bed... I meant Garbage, not Garbare. I'm surprised that spell check didn't catch that.

Anyways, go SOX and good night to all.

kevingrt
08-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Overreacting is an undestatement. Yeah he isn't pitching that well right now, but cut him, wow, drink some Kool-Aid.

Kub_Killer_15
08-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Every Pitcher goes in a funk just give him some time! Plus he has been cleaning up after Vaquez which makes him look bad. I know he has seem ugly lately but once he gets in a grove it will be 1-2-3 you out for the opposing teams!

Bulls_Fan
08-03-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm all for letting a pitcher playing his way out of a funk, but when its costing us ballgames something has to change.

Mohoney
08-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Well, at least I got my weekly dose of stupid out of the way already.

On the other hand, I wish I had the last 2 minutes of my life back...

jenn2080
08-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Well, at least I got my weekly dose of stupid out of the way already.

On the other hand, I wish I had the last 2 minutes of my life back...

Glad I decided to click on this thread at 7:24 am. :kukoo: :puking:

STRETCH!!!
08-03-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm sure I'll hear how great he was last year and I'm overreacting,

Yes, this is true. You are overreacting and he was great last year. This also is true: Left handed relievers don't grow on trees. It is not like there are 16 quality prospects in our farm system to replace him, and trading for a left handed releiver (trade deadline has passed, but that is not my point) or signing a free agent left handed reliever is going to cost a pretty penny.

How good is he, really? Who knows - only a career will tell. At this point he has a good start to a career, overall. He has a live arm, he's young, he's proven he can pitch in the clutch, and although he has struggled as of late he has helped us win this year. In short, he's a keeper for the long haul.

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Yes, this is true. You are overreacting and he was great last year. This also is true: Left handed relievers don't grow on trees. It is not like there are 16 quality prospects in our farm system to replace him, and trading for a left handed releiver (trade deadline has passed, but that is not my point) or signing a free agent left handed reliever is going to cost a pretty penny.

How good is he, really? Who knows - only a career will tell. At this point he has a good start to a career, overall. He has a live arm, he's young, he's proven he can pitch in the clutch, and although he has struggled as of late he has helped us win this year. In short, he's a keeper for the long haul.
Agreed with all of this. No one is more frustrated with Cotts right now than Cotts himself, as evidenced by his dugout tirades. Give him time to work it out and he'll be mowing them down again. If we cut every pitcher who went through a funk, tomorrow's starter would be MacDougal, and he'd be expected to throw 9+ innings.

nevr say dye sox
08-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Thats great that he's young and all, and that he was good last year. So was Poliete. This year he sucks! Try something new. Not sure what that is, but I swear every time I see him warming up in the bull pen I cringe. Between Riske, McDougal, Thorton, and McCarthy we shouldn't need anybody else. Let him sit in the bullpen for a while and think why he's not playing. I understand Ozzie theory on running a guy out there to get his confidence back, but when they go back out and give up runs consistantly I think it hurst because they start to believe they can't do it. Maybe a benching will piss him off enough that when he goes back out, he actually get somebody out! Right now I hate Cotts, until he can prove he can get somebody out.

Chicken Dinner
08-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Thats great that he's young and all, and that he was good last year. So was Poliete. This year he sucks! Try something new. Not sure what that is, but I swear every time I see him warming up in the bull pen I cringe. Between Riske, McDougal, Thorton, and McCarthy we shouldn't need anybody else. Let him sit in the bullpen for a while and think why he's not playing. I understand Ozzie theory on running a guy out there to get his confidence back, but when they go back out and give up runs consistantly I think it hurst because they start to believe they can't do it. Maybe a benching will piss him off enough that when he goes back out, he actually get somebody out! Right now I hate Cotts, until he can prove he can get somebody out.

Every starter we have and 3/4's of the pen suck right now. McCarthy is giving up runs everytime he goes out there. Routine balls are some how popping out of gloves. Base runners are doing stupid things. It's not all Cotts fault.

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 11:42 AM
If the Sox hadn't been able to come back on Tuesday night, would this be a thread about Thornton instead? After all, he stank up the joint and blew the game for Buehrle. How about Jenks? He's given up 4 runs in his last 3 games. Calm down people.

JB98
08-03-2006, 11:55 AM
We have very, very few pitchers who are performing well on this team right now. Buerhle has lost us more games than Cotts has the last month, but apparently, Neal is the scapegoat for some around here.

Frankly, Garland and MacDougal are the only two pitchers we have that are throwing the ball well right now. Thornton and Contreras haven't been too bad, but we've got some problems just about everywhere else.

Soxfanspcu11
08-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Anyone else getting tired of Neal's same song & dance?

This guy is so overrated. He's like a virgin on prom night... it's just a matter of time before she gives it up.

I know I started the whole politte=garbage trend too but Cotts is on a very fast track cutville. He can't even do mop up duty now. I'm sure I'll hear how great he was last year and I'm overreacting, but I said thing about Cliff and now "HE GONE"

Hope Neal can bounce back soon with the rest of our pitching staff.

GO SOX!!! LET'S START PLAYING SOME GOOD WHITESOX BASEBALL!!!

Your not overreacting, you are reacting, in a completely normal and expected fashion to the garbage that has become Neal Cotts.

He is the only guy in our bullpen that I have ZERO confidence in.

As someone else in this thread stated, when I see him warming in the pen, I get sick. I just know that if he comes in, he will either allow inherited runners to score, or allow hit after hit until his own allowed runners score. I pray when I see him up that Ozzie will not go to him.

Thornton had a bad night the other night against KC. Bobby had a bad night in the blown safe against Baltimore, but Neal Cotts has a rough nite, EVERY nite. As you said, he can't even complete a mop-up role now.

The only reason he should pitch from now on is if we are down by 10 runs and Ozzie has thrown in the towel. He is nothing more then an inning eater now.

And yes, I am fully aware of what he did last year, he was great for us. But guess what? So was Cliff Polite and he couldn't get 3 consecutive outs to save his life this year.

The argument of "He was so great last year and did so much for us" is so completely stupid. This is not 2005, this is 2006, a new year, a new team, a new situation. I will always have a special place in my heart for what he did for us last year, but it's time to move on past that.

Last time I checked, opposing teams are not going to go easy on you because you tore **** up last year. It is incredibly frusturating because he has proven that he has the talent. I don't believe in "flukes" or "luck", Neal Cotts has the ability.

Unfortunately for him, we don't have time to sit around and wait for the old Neal Cotts. He is either going to perform or he isin't, and right now he is not. I wouldn't mind seeing Kenny send him down to Charlotte for about a month so he can get his act together. We can bring him back up for September call-ups if he gets right. In the meantime, we can try out someone else, bring someone else up and see how they fair.

Neal Cotts right now is NOT a major league pitcher. He is hurting this team every time he comes into games right now. There really is no point in trotting him out there only to get shelled.

The only solution that I see right now is to send him down for a month, let him figure it out. I do believe that he can get back to what he used to be, but until he does, he should not be pitching for the Sox. We are in a very intense playoff race, we don't need his garbage right now.

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 12:21 PM

Didn't the Sox eventually had plans of making him a starter?

nevr say dye sox
08-03-2006, 01:16 PM
I completely agree with soxfanspcu11! by the way whats up with Freddy Garcia, any time somebody makes a bad play his body language is horrid. I didn't see Ross Gload shrug his shoulders or JD get all pissed of when Freddy got hammered for a home run. As far as I'm concerned Garcia has sucked all year long, and he acts like its everyone else fault. I hope we get something good for him, cause as far as I'm concerned he's an individual not a team player!

MISoxfan
08-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Every starter we have and 3/4's of the pen suck right now.

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6396.jpg
Hello?

Chez
08-04-2006, 03:05 PM
You are over-reacting. Want proof? If the Sox floated Cotts out on the waiver wire, how many teams do you think would put a claim on him? The answer -- every team in the majors. Thank god we have Thornton, but Cotts will return to form.

spiffie
08-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Problem is that Neal was performing after the 2005 all-star break at a level no one could maintain unless they are Eric Gagne or Mariano Rivera. After the ASG last year, Cotts gave up 3 runs, 2 of them earned.

He has had 2 bad months and 2 good months this year. Hopefully he'll settle down and August will join those good months.

Rounding_Third
08-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Cotts only has the 2nd best era on the staff behind MacDougal's who only has 8 innings for the season. Get real!!!!!!! ....and Dye stinks too! He makes an out 7 out of every 10 AB's!!!!!

bigsqwert
08-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Cotts only has the 2nd best era on the staff behind MacDougal's who only has 8 innings for the season. Get real!!!!!!! ....and Dye stinks too! He makes an out 7 out of every 10 AB's!!!!!ERAs are misleading for relievers. Allowing inherited runners to score does not reflect on your ERA. His 1.67 WHIP in July was pretty brutal as well.

Ol' No. 2
08-04-2006, 05:55 PM
ERAs are misleading for relievers. Allowing inherited runners to score does not reflect on your ERA. His 1.67 WHIP in July was pretty brutal as well.*****

ERA for relievers is misleading, but a WHIP based on 12.0 IP is not?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: