PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/2/06 Postgame Thread

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Damn.

Patrick134
08-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Another road series won, keep it rolling in Toronto.

Kwrubac
08-03-2006, 12:42 AM
No creative title tonight...now i'm really bummed :(:

SluggersAway
08-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Rain, rain, go away, come again another day.

Dark clouds do the same.

Blueprint1
Sweep someone. alright im done.

CubsfansareDRUNK
No creative title tonight...now i'm really bummed :(:

Where's BEVIBALL when u need him

chisoxwschamps05
08-03-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm ready for bed.

Deuce
Tough loss, but it was expected with this lineup. Take two powerhitters out of any AL team, and you don't have much of a chance against another AL team... even the Royals.

Not to worry, since we won the series. Now, three games in Canadia to battle out and we are homeward bound.

Deuce

SpartanSoxFan
Time to step it up against those crazy Canadians. They got their butts handed to them by the Evil Empire. I guarantee they are pissed.

Kwrubac
Where's BEVIBALL when u need him

LOL I know right? Although with the way this game fell apart it doesn't deserve a clever title!

Brian26
Another road series won, keep it rolling in Toronto.

The Tigers are in KC on Sept 22-24. That's probably going to be a three game sweep for Detroit. That late in the season, the usual-AAA Royals will have their AA team playing.

CLR01
08-03-2006, 12:45 AM
2 hours for that? :puking:

SluggersAway
08-03-2006, 12:45 AM
My title was way cooler. Viva the Big Lebowski!

Brian26
08-03-2006, 12:46 AM
We're up three hours after Melty's bedtime.

Patrick134
08-03-2006, 12:46 AM
The Tigers are in KC on Sept 22-24. That's probably going to be a three game sweep for Detroit. That late in the season, the usual-AAA Royals will have their AA team playing.

Sometimes teams like KC are tough to sweep because they have less than zero pressure on them, while every game for the sox is vital and intense.

Rdubb4
08-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Tough loss, but it was expected with this lineup. Take two powerhitters out of any AL team, and you don't have much of a chance against another AL team... even the Royals.

Matsui? Sheffield? I dont buy that. Still all of our runs were scored via the long ball.

Brian26
08-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Sometimes teams like KC are tough to sweep because they have less than zero pressure on them, while every game for the sox is vital and intense.

I'll be happy with two of three in Toronto. I was hoping five out of six with the Baltimore/KC jaunt.

Patrick134
08-03-2006, 12:50 AM
I'll be happy with two of three in Toronto. I was hoping five out of six with the Baltimore/KC jaunt.

5 out of 6 would be what you'd want if the sox were going good. With the atrocious post all star break start, 4 out of 6 seemed like a stretch going in.

whitesoxfan
08-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Let's take 2 of 3 from Toronto. If we can beat Halladay on Friday, that should do wonders for our confidence.

BNLSox
08-03-2006, 12:57 AM
I hate having an off day after a game like this... although we need it... but its a bad taste for another whole day.

Lets sweep some Canadians and make some noise! Also can we get NY and Boston to start playing each other again? That'd be great.

Bobbo35
08-03-2006, 12:57 AM
No, the sox need to sweep. They need to make some headway. detroit, the yanks and boston are rolling. I have confidence in Garland to start it off right against Halladay. The sox need the regulars in and get the ball rolling right. Go Sox!

kevingrt
08-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Frustrating... and we need another series win versus Toronto oh so BAD!

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Rain, rain, go away, come again another day.

Dark clouds do the same.PH13, here ya go. An unsolicited, unprovoked "dark cloud" reference.

MrX
08-03-2006, 01:16 AM
My power's been out for the last 3 hours, sounds like I didn't miss much

SluggersAway
08-03-2006, 01:23 AM
PH13, here ya go.

That was in reference to the game thread. Take a look.

Playah
08-03-2006, 03:24 AM
Don't we all wish we were baseball players. We could just decide to not show up for work and still get paid the exact same amount as if we had.

fquaye149
08-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Don't we all wish we were baseball players. We could just decide to not show up for work and still get paid the exact same amount as if we had.

Wow...I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but wow. I wasn't aware that players didn't "show up". Were we not fielding certain positions? Which ones were they? Did Anderson not show up so we didn't have anyone playing centerfield? Or Iguchi? Or Dye? And do you think they couldn't find the ballpark, or did they just sleep in all day and couldn't be bothered to make it out?

Oh wait, or are you just saying that since they didn't play particularly well, they didn't show up? If only we could get paid for having a day at work where we weren't absolutely perfect! no one's ever been less than perfect at work before in the REAL WORLD! Those damned spoiled baseball players!!!

jenn2080
08-03-2006, 08:21 AM

Im not a baseball player and I get paid either way.

jenn2080
08-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Wow...I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but wow. I wasn't aware that players didn't "show up". Were we not fielding certain positions? Which ones were they? Did Anderson not show up so we didn't have anyone playing centerfield? Or Iguchi? Or Dye? And do you think they couldn't find the ballpark, or did they just sleep in all day and couldn't be bothered to make it out?

Oh wait, or are you just saying that since they didn't play particularly well, they didn't show up? If only we could get paid for having a day at work where we weren't absolutely perfect! no one's ever been less than perfect at work before in the REAL WORLD! Those damned spoiled baseball players!!!

Let me just tell ya...Uribe..I got it I got it I got it in foul territory...Opps No I dont....And DROPS IT!

Pods fly ball to left dives and MISSES IT. Enough said. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb were in full affect last night.

Law11
08-03-2006, 09:08 AM

6 of detroit's last 9 are againstKC .. Its getting closer to dealing with the facts that if dont take 3 from them next week. we are looking WC..

Even Ozzie said it after the game that catching them is going to be tough with only 54 left.

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Time to step it up against those crazy Canadians. They got their butts handed to them by the Evil Empire. I guarantee they are pissed.
There are no Canucks on the current Toronto roster.

This is a great time to play the Jays, as they are crashing out of contention.

russ99
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Let me just tell ya...Uribe..I got it I got it I got it in foul territory...Opps No I dont....And DROPS IT!

Pods fly ball to left dives and MISSES IT. Enough said. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb were in full affect last night.

Yup. They dialed one in on getaway day. That truly sucked, Pods needs to seriously wake up from this cloud over his head - if he's injured (just guessing), then don't play. Maybe a 2-day benching would help, I don't know.

Still if we go 2 out of 3 the rest of the way with a few winning streaks, I feel good about our chances.

Bucky F. Dent
08-03-2006, 11:28 AM
No, the sox need to sweep. They need to make some headway. detroit, the yanks and boston are rolling. I have confidence in Garland to start it off right against Halladay. The sox need the regulars in and get the ball rolling right. Go Sox!

ABSOLUTELY!

We're behind, and no one else seems to be losing any momentum.
We need sweeps or there will be no playoffs!

batmanZoSo
08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Yup. They dialed one in on getaway day. That truly sucked, Pods needs to seriously wake up from this cloud over his head - if he's injured (just guessing), then don't play. Maybe a 2-day benching would help, I don't know.

Still if we go 2 out of 3 the rest of the way with a few winning streaks, I feel good about our chances.

.667 the rest of the way is gonna get us to the playoffs. It was a letdown not to sweep KC, but the season goes on. I'd much rather sweep Detroit and they still have two chances to do that this month.

Flight #24
08-03-2006, 11:36 AM
.667 the rest of the way is gonna get us to the playoffs. It was a letdown not to sweep KC, but the season goes on. I'd much rather sweep Detroit and they still have two chances to do that this month.

The problem is that you can't bank on playing .667 when playing the contenders. So to hit that overall mark, you need to do better against the bottom feeders. Detroit's dominance over the bad teams is why they're in first. The Sox meanwhile, have at times struggled against those same teams.

.500 against contenders and .667 against bottom feeders will keep you in the race, but when you go .667 against the chumps, that gives you no room for error when playing the contenders.

batmanZoSo
08-03-2006, 12:08 PM
The problem is that you can't bank on playing .667 when playing the contenders. So to hit that overall mark, you need to do better against the bottom feeders. Detroit's dominance over the bad teams is why they're in first. The Sox meanwhile, have at times struggled against those same teams.

.500 against contenders and .667 against bottom feeders will keep you in the race, but when you go .667 against the chumps, that gives you no room for error when playing the contenders.

Of course that's all true, but what if we win the next 9 in a row? Problem solved then I'd say.

What's done is done, we didn't sweep. On to the good teams.

CaptainBallz
08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Losing= Fine, it happens

Looking like a bunch of amateur *******s in the process = not fine

I still believe in this team, but for F's sake, get your heads out of your collective asses!!:angry:

Pods, Uribe, Freddy... I'm looking at you ....then at Ozzie

Flight #24
08-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Of course that's all true, but what if we win the next 9 in a row? Problem solved then I'd say.

What's done is done, we didn't sweep. On to the good teams.

Absolutely correct. It's certainly not over, but The Sox are putting themselves in position where they have to play perfectly or stay home.
At this point, any day you don't gain ground on Detroit is a win for them. The Sox are going to have to win the bulk of their H2H games to have a realistic shot at the division.

As it stands now, the division is a longshot, and the WC is going to be a dogfight between the Sox, BoSox, & Twinks. And they'll have to play a lot better than they did the past 2 series to emerge from that.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Flight:

You brought up the Sox record against the 'poorer' clubs. Here's the way it breaks down as of Thursday vs. teams currently with 'losing' records:

Baltimore 5-2
Tampa Bay 1-2
Cleveland 5-7
Kansas City 8-4
Seattle 3-2
Houston 2-1
Cubs 4-2
Pittsburgh 2-1

Overall record: 30-21 .588

Lip

CallMeNuts
08-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry if this was coverred elsewhere, but I didn't see it. I'm posting this observation here as I don't think it merits a new thread. I didn't hear Hawk or DJ mention it, but on the pop up with the bases loaded where AJ and Crede almost collided, the Infield Fly Rule was called. I know that every player instinctively wants to make the catch, but all they had to do was touch the ball so that it didn't have a chance to hit the ground and kick foul. It would be a real shame to see somebody get hurt on an Infield Fly Rule Play.

BTW: Am I the only one who doesn't believe in the Infield Fly Rule? In my opinion, a hard hit grounder to short with a man on first is pretty much an automatic double play. Why should a pop up with men on 1st and 2nd not have a chance to be a double play. If you think about it, the DP could be pretty tough to turn in many cases. Let the defense drop the ball if they want and see if they can make the play.