PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Predictions

billyvsox
08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
During the rain delay, anyone wish to discuss their thoughts on our playoff possibility's. Here are mine.

As sad as it may be, it dosen't appear the Tigers will be coming back to the pack, so we may destined to the wild card chase with Nyy-Bos and Minn.

I believe the Twins are done. I hear Liriano's injury may be significant, their recent slide against Det and Texas, and the typical market correction for their crazy winning streak will push them too far out.

I Believe the Yanks are poised to walk away with the East, given their recent acquisitions and hot streak.

Which leaves us and the Bosox to fight out the wild card.

Some negatives:

1) Their schedule is easier with a TON of home games, where they are a much stronger team.

2) If you saw tonights gane against the Tribe, they have voodoo working on their side.

3) They have Big Poppi.

Any thoughts????

pasquasroachclip
08-03-2006, 08:31 AM
[quote=billyvsox]

2) If you saw tonights gane against the Tribe, they have voodoo working on their side.

I don't think they have voodoo working for them as much as them facing a piece of crap "closer" who couldn't close a door, let alone a ballgame.

White Sox Randy
08-03-2006, 08:47 AM
My only playoff prediction is that if the White Sox don't look like a completely different team in about a week or two, they will watch the playoffs on television.

There hasn't been 1 game in the last 6 against the weak O's and Royals that the Sox resembled a playoff team .

I'm not saying that they didn't look like a championship caliber team, I'm saying that they didn't even look any more like a playoff team than Baltimore or KC.

Even the defense is bad now. They CAN still hit. But, they have so many facets of their game going badly right now - baserunning, bunting, hitting with RISP, starting pitching, relief pitching and defense - that it is hard to imagine them getting it all together quickly. I hope they do.

It would be a shame if they don't because it looks like Minnesota has HAD their run and are becoming average again.

Fenway
08-03-2006, 08:54 AM
The 3 Chicago/Boston games in early September loom large now.

I loathe the NY media as today John Harper in the News says the race in the east is over

Never mind the standings, it seems Yanks have sunk Red Sox
John Harper: Over two months ago, Curt Schilling sounded the alarm for Red Sox Nation, essentially saying the Sox couldn't afford to waste the opportunity to put some distance between themselves and the Yankees at a time when their rivals were reeling from injuries.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/440369p-371002c.html)

skottyj242
08-03-2006, 08:56 AM
They may have Ortiz but they don't have Varitek.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-03-2006, 09:33 AM
The Sox need to get quality starts from their pitchers 3 or 4 out of every 5 starts. If they don't do that, the next several months will be agonizing. It all starts with pitching and they won't look like a playoff team until the pitchers step up. If they do, the Sox can go on several streaks of taking 8 out of 10 games, which is what they need to do. And fast.

CAREY33
08-03-2006, 09:42 AM
I agree with you on the fact that I don't see ourselves catching the Tigers. I also believe the Yankees will eventually begin to pull away in the East. I'm not quite ready to write off the Twins as quickly as you, but I do think that they are bound to go through a tough stretch and come back down to earth. Having said this, I think it will come down to us and Boston. Honestly I still like our pitching better than Bostons. As long as we stay healthy, we are going to get the wild card and getting into the playoffs is all that matters.

Foulke You
08-03-2006, 10:10 AM
The 3 Chicago/Boston games in early September loom large now.

I loathe the NY media as today John Harper in the News says the race in the east is over

Never mind the standings, it seems Yanks have sunk Red Sox
John Harper: Over two months ago, Curt Schilling sounded the alarm for Red Sox Nation, essentially saying the Sox couldn't afford to waste the opportunity to put some distance between themselves and the Yankees at a time when their rivals were reeling from injuries.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/440369p-371002c.html)
That article is kind've premature given the identical records at the moment. The Yanks are flying high right now but I still think they are playing a bit above their heads. They have a quality lineup but I still think the pitching (especially their bullpen outside of Mariano) is suspect. Lidle doesn't really scare me and he is back in the majors now (American League). It did surprise me that the Red Sox didn't add any arms.

Fenway, how long are Wakefield and Clement supposed to be on the shelf and who has been filling in for Trot Nixon in the outfield?

The Jeter for MVP talk nauseates me. If it was anyone but Jeter with that type of season, they wouldn't even be talking about it. In my mind, it is a 2 player race right now, Jermaine Dye and David Ortiz and I think Ortiz will win it since he got hosed last year and Dye plays on a low profile team.

Fenway
08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Fenway, how long are Wakefield and Clement supposed to be on the shelf and who has been filling in for Trot Nixon in the outfield?

Wakefield probably a month, Clement doesn't even have a shedule for rehab.

Wily Mo Pena filling in for Trot. Last night he hit a shot that just missed killing a fan in the monster seats. The ball went out in 2.5 seconds :o:

Red Sox and Yankees still have 9 left so anything can happen.

"wrong" sox fan
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
I think the yanks pull the East in.

Boston has played very well in spite of some horrid luck this season, with only 2 of thier 5 opening starters healthy (3 if you count Well's 1 start last week) though I have trouble thinking that they will keep pace with the yanks. Right now it's the Twins, Red Sox and White Sox fighting for the Wild Card, no one can assume they know who is going to win but as much as I hate to admit it, Boston is walking a very tight rope right now, though they seem to do that better than any other team in baseball over the past several seasons.

nevr say dye sox
08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I see this same thread everyday. I think people throw it up there to have others reassure them, or try to help them believe that the Sox won't be one of the most underacheiving teams in recent history! Serious, how many time does this need to be talked about. We lost to KC, they had like 3 minor leaguers playing! This next homestand will let us know where were going!

Deuce
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
After today, the Sox will play continuously until August 28th. On that date, we will know if we have a shot at the division, a shot at the wild card slot or an early ticket home.

Deuce

Jurr
08-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Ohhhh.....how I have longed for a "playoff predictions" thread.

Two days was just too damn long to wait.

Fenway
08-03-2006, 11:35 AM
simple reality

Chicago watches the east and tries to keep the Twins in check. Boston and New York watch Chicago. Toronto is pretty much done.

Detroit could fall back but I wouldn't bet the farm on that happening.

It's going to be a nerve racking 2 months

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Ohhhh.....how I have longed for a "playoff predictions" thread.

Two days was just too damn long to wait.

LOL! If the whole pitching staff doesn't get their act together I hear that famous Jim Mora quote. Cooper must have lost his magic wand.

Chicken Dinner
08-03-2006, 11:48 AM
LOL! If the whole pitching staff doesn't get their act together I hear that famous Jim Mora quote. Cooper must have lost his magic wand.

He sold it to the Tigers.

cws05champ
08-03-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm still not sold on the White Sox being out of the Division title. While I'll admit that the Tigers look like they are for real, and show no signs at this point of coming back to the pack...you also remember that the Sox were up double digits on the Tribe last year and they almost caught us. Kenny Rogers is already imploding, young pitchers such as Verlander, Zumaya usually pitch differently down the stretch when the pressure intensifies.

If we take 7 of 10 from the Tigers H2H, thats 4 games we can make up, and if our pitchers can just turn it around slightly we can go on some streaks just like the beginning of the year. Don't count us out yet!!!

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Kenny Rogers is already imploding, young pitchers such as Verlander, Zumaya usually pitch differently down the stretch when the pressure intensifies.

But the Sox have a pitcher implode almost every night. If it's not a starter then it's someone in the pen. Then there are times when the starters and the pen go on an all out "suckfest".

With the hitters it's "pick to click".
With the pitching it's become "bloke to choke".

Last year you felt confident with a 2 run lead. This year it's a coin toss with a 4 run lead.

samram
08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't like to make predictions, but my expectation is for the Sox to be in the World Series in 2006.

Heffalump
08-03-2006, 01:30 PM
After last year, I am doing my best to not let the recent bumbling turn me into a Dark Cloud. However, these guys are scaring me when it comes to our chances to catch Detroit for the division.

However, I still have faith in Ozzie and all of our veterans. I think the Sox will win the Central, along with the Yanks and the A's. Tigers will get the wild card. Sox beat A's in the first round. Yanks beat Tigers. Sox beat Tigers in the ALCS.

Hunker down
08-03-2006, 08:27 PM
34 of the remaining 56 games left this year with are with the Tigers, Twins, Yankees and Red Sox. While the Twins might not be there at the end, you canít count them out just yet. Didnít they just sweep us? I still believe the starting pitching will come around. With this many games left against contenders, the Sox still control their own destiny. If they donít do it, they just need to look in the mirror because both the division and the wild-card are there for the taking.