PDA

View Full Version : Balsa Wood says NO to surgery, plans to come back as a reliever

StillMissOzzie
08-03-2006, 12:02 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2537840

Per ESPN.com, Balsa Wood has announced he will not have surgery for his torn rotator cuff injury, and plans to come back next year as a reliever. If that doesn't seal the Cubs' refusal to exercise their $13.5M option for 2007, nothing will.

SMO
:gulp:

buehrle4cy05
08-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Relieving is where his future is. I'll root for him if he goes to another team, just because you feel bad when somebody with that kind of potential gets his arm ruined by poor coaching.

SpartanSoxFan
08-03-2006, 12:10 AM
I REFUSE to blame his situation on poor coaching alone. He seems to be one of the most stubborn pitchers in the modern age when it comes to his mechanics. As the expression goes, you can only lead the horses to the water; you can't force them to drink.

peeonwrigley
08-03-2006, 12:45 AM
I'll save my feeling bad for people who got hurt before their lucrative contracts.

Guy is set for life, and he'll get as many chances as he wants/injury allows. I really don't anything against him. But, I do agree with the poster who said his stubborness has as much to do with his issues as anything.

The Critic
08-03-2006, 07:47 AM
I read somewhere that he was pretty seriously over-used in high school, too.
Pitching both games of double-headers and stuff like that.
He seems like a decent enough guy, so I hope he can get healthy and find a role that lets him pitch effectively.

Steelrod
08-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Doesn't take the advice of coaches, doctors, etc. Typical arrogance of an underachiever.
No doubt someone will take a chance on him but it points out how rediculous baseball salaries are. Made tens of millions over a brief on field career. Cubs paid contually for his potential, rather than results. What a joke!

Boondock Saint
08-03-2006, 08:51 AM
If the Cubs keep Wood for next year, it has got to be for trade purposes. There's no point in having him as a closer on a team that's light years away from being a contender. Have him save as many as possible before the trade deadline to prove that he can still shut guys down when he's not spread too thin, then trade him for as many prospects as possible. But then again, that's provided that it's his "heavy workload" that's hurting him. That's also provided that Jim Hendry gets his head removed from his nether-regions.

Jaffar
08-03-2006, 09:11 AM
If the Cubs keep Wood for next year, it has got to be for trade purposes. There's no point in having him as a closer on a team that's light years away from being a contender. Have him save as many as possible before the trade deadline to prove that he can still shut guys down when he's not spread too thin, then trade him for as many prospects as possible. But then again, that's provided that it's his "heavy workload" that's hurting him. That's also provided that Jim Hendry gets his head removed from his nether-regions.

There is no market value for a reliever making 13 million dollars. I think it'll only cost them a couple mil to let him go which is the much better option.

DrCrawdad
08-03-2006, 09:14 AM
The Sox were to sign Wood as a reliever?

All those Wood Cubbie jerseys would disappear quicker than Cubbie Sosa jerseys.

Boondock Saint
08-03-2006, 09:26 AM
There is no market value for a reliever making 13 million dollars. I think it'll only cost them a couple mil to let him go which is the much better option.

Which is why you let him pitch for you to show that he can do it and then trade him, while eating most of his salary, so that you can get SOMEthing for him. There's no point in worrying about money at this point, as they aren't going to be contenders for several years now. I honestly believe that Wood can be lights out as a closer, so why let him go for free? Somebody's going to pay him to do it, why not have them pay you with players?

AuroraSoxFan
08-03-2006, 09:56 AM
We call all argue till we turn blue over his salary BS. However, I really doubt he'd ever be able to be a reliable reliever. As a bullpen guy, you have to be ready on very short notice, sometimes 5-10 minutes. You also have to be ready every day. Sure he wouldn't be expected to throw 200 innings. But I really doubt he'd be able to buckle down on short notice or be able to play in 2 of 3 games or whatever else.

I honestly wish him well once he leaves the Cubs. But I highly doubt he'll last very long as a reliever.

Mr.1Dog
08-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I read somewhere that he was pretty seriously over-used in high school, too.
Pitching both games of double-headers and stuff like that.
He seems like a decent enough guy, so I hope he can get healthy and find a role that lets him pitch effectively.

I ran into him at 10pin over the winter (he was setting up his charity event there) and when my girlfriend, who is a Cubs fan :angry:, asked him for a picture he said absolutely not. He was sitting at the bar drinking with his wife and I understand not wanting to be bothered but to say absolutely not was classless. It wasn't an autograph that might have further disrupted the progress of his shoulder. She was obviously upset so based on that encounter and from what I have seen on interviews, he doesn't see so decent.

PatK
08-03-2006, 10:15 AM
A guy that has made a career of being broken down and has shown an inability to recover during starts isnt' going to make a good reliever.

Jerko
08-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Pardon my medical ignorance, but to torn rotator cuffs "un-tear", or heal, without surgery? What's he gonna do, come back next year, throw a pitch, and say OW??? Same old song and dance. Gets hurt, does nothing about it besides take a year off with pay, comes back next year without taking care of, or trying to prevent the problem, repeat. Oh well.

kobo
08-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Which is why you let him pitch for you to show that he can do it and then trade him, while eating most of his salary, so that you can get SOMEthing for him. There's no point in worrying about money at this point, as they aren't going to be contenders for several years now. I honestly believe that Wood can be lights out as a closer, so why let him go for free? Somebody's going to pay him to do it, why not have them pay you with players?
Why pay him $13.5 million when they aren't even sure if he is going to be able to survive in the bullpen? If they were to do that and he ends up getting hurt again then they won't be able to trade him to anyone. Even if he had a mediocre season as a reliever I don't think a team is going to pick him up and take on the rest of his salary even if it is only for 2 months. I think his buyout is $3 million, and I feel the smart thing to do would be to buy him out and just say goodbye. There is too much risk involved with him at this point to justify any kind of reward.

russ99
08-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Why pay him $13.5 million when they aren't even sure if he is going to be able to survive in the bullpen? If they were to do that and he ends up getting hurt again then they won't be able to trade him to anyone. Even if he had a mediocre season as a reliever I don't think a team is going to pick him up and take on the rest of his salary even if it is only for 2 months. I think his buyout is $3 million, and I feel the smart thing to do would be to buy him out and just say goodbye. There is too much risk involved with him at this point to justify any kind of reward.

And if someone is dumb enough to sign him with that obviously chronic arm injury and bad mechanics, it will be for a Wade Miller-like no risk contract. Kerry should be happy he's getting 3 mil.

And no, the Sox don't need that kind of risk - let him go to the Rangers, where they like that sort of thing.

ode to veeck
08-03-2006, 12:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=AgZnsp2642r5YM3epPpAFUsRvLYF?gid=260802 116&prov=ap

TornLabrum
08-03-2006, 12:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=AgZnsp2642r5YM3epPpAFUsRvLYF?gid=260802 116&prov=ap
So I guess you missed the two-page thread here in WTS (where all Flubs news goes to die). The search feature is your friend.

The Critic
08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
I ran into him at 10pin over the winter (he was setting up his charity event there) and when my girlfriend, who is a Cubs fan :angry:, asked him for a picture he said absolutely not. He was sitting at the bar drinking with his wife and I understand not wanting to be bothered but to say absolutely not was classless. It wasn't an autograph that might have further disrupted the progress of his shoulder. She was obviously upset so based on that encounter and from what I have seen on interviews, he doesn't see so decent.

I'm sorry he was a prick to you guys.
Just to play devil's advocate, I'm sure it gets old to have people come up on you wherever you go, and sometimes you don't handle it as well as others.
I have no personal knowledge of the guy, and I've never had an encounter with him, good or bad, I was just going off of the times I've seen him interviewed and the fact that I don't hear a whole lot of stories like yours.
It is too bad that he didn't have a few seconds for a fan, though.

TDog
08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Relieving is where his future is. I'll root for him if he goes to another team, just because you feel bad when somebody with that kind of potential gets his arm ruined by poor coaching.

I don't feel bad for him. Why should I? He has made more money this year than most people will make in their lives and clearly doesn't deserve it. Why should I feel bad that such potential was wasted on such an arrogant jerk. I'll root for people who work hard to make the most of what they have.

I will root for the opponents of Kerry Wood who beat him despite not being blessed with his gift.

ode to veeck
08-03-2006, 06:07 PM
So I guess you missed the two-page thread here in WTS (where all Flubs news goes to die). The search feature is your friend.

LOL! I guess I was giving more respect than is due to the situation ... either that or I misinterpreted the presence of the "best flub of all time" thread in the baseball forum

RKMeibalane
08-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Pardon my medical ignorance, but to torn rotator cuffs "un-tear", or heal, without surgery? What's he gonna do, come back next year, throw a pitch, and say OW??? Same old song and dance. Gets hurt, does nothing about it besides take a year off with pay, comes back next year without taking care of, or trying to prevent the problem, repeat. Oh well.

It is possible to regain function in the affected shoulder with rest. It really depends on how severe the actual injury is. If you're interested, take a look at this site:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=127&topcategory=Shou

Mr.1Dog
08-04-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry he was a prick to you guys.
Just to play devil's advocate, I'm sure it gets old to have people come up on you wherever you go, and sometimes you don't handle it as well as others.
I have no personal knowledge of the guy, and I've never had an encounter with him, good or bad, I was just going off of the times I've seen him interviewed and the fact that I don't hear a whole lot of stories like yours.
It is too bad that he didn't have a few seconds for a fan, though.

The funny thing was that no one was coming up to him. He was sitting there for an hour or so and my girlfriend asked to take a picture on our way out. No big deal to me though.

The Critic
08-04-2006, 12:59 PM
The funny thing was that no one was coming up to him. He was sitting there for an hour or so and my girlfriend asked to take a picture on our way out. No big deal to me though.
Wow, maybe he IS a jag after all....but I still don't wish ill on him, if only for karma's sake.
:D: