PDA

View Full Version : Taking Two out of Three

sox230
08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
I have seen plenty of quotes (do not have one specifically) in the papers where the Sox players or coaches say something like, "We focus on winning series...if we win two of every three we will be in good shape.." While that is true, do you guys think the Sox are merely satisfied taking two of three in a series, because there have been a good amount of times where we have taken the first two and lost the third including the last two series, and earlier Tiger series and both Cubs series. Furthermore, can't Cleveland learn that the guy who blew the save two nights ago sucks??!! I guess not, he just blew it again....2 HBP's 1 BB and a double all with two out....glorious:angry:

SoxSpeed22
08-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Guess what? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47954&highlight=Killer+instinct)
The two threads are not different.

Jaffar
08-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Are you really complaining about people being ok with the Sox playing .667 ball over the rest of the season?

Jerko
08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I'll take .667 ball any time, but I can see people being frustrated with winning the first 2 games and then losing the last one. Especially against some of the loser teams it's happened against (Cubs twice, KC, Balt, Pitt, to a lesser extent Houston and Cleveland). Also, it's happened in consecutive series a few times (THREE SERIES in a row with Hou, Pit, Cubs) and the last 2 series in a row (Balt, now KC). If it was more "spread out" I don't think it would bother people as much.

The Critic
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Didn't they pretty much do that the first 4 series of 2005, though?
It does get frustrating to have a sweep opportunity and not get the sweep, but I'm very happy with series wins.
If the Sox win every series the rest of the way, that's MORE than OK by me.

Britt Burns
08-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I don't think it is that they don't sweep, it is how they have been losing that 3rd game-and even how they win the first two. The D was terrible yesterday, Freddy was average at best, and they did not look like a great team having a so-so day. Same general problem with the Baltimore game. Will we all be happy if they go .667 the rest of the year? Of course. They play like that against NY, Boston, Detroit, even Toronto etc., we'll be lucky to go .500. I am ecstatic that we've taken 4 of the last 6, but I don't know if the level of play has significantly improved. I am encouraged that Buehrle might be back on track, and the hitting has come around a bit after a terrible stretch right after the all-star break.

samram
08-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't think it is that they don't sweep, it is how they have been losing that 3rd game-and even how they win the first two. The D was terrible yesterday, Freddy was average at best, and they did not look like a great team having a so-so day. Same general problem with the Baltimore game. Will we all be happy if they go .667 the rest of the year? Of course. They play like that against NY, Boston, Detroit, even Toronto etc., we'll be lucky to go .500. I am ecstatic that we've taken 4 of the last 6, but I don't know if the level of play has significantly improved. I am encouraged that Buehrle might be back on track, and the hitting has come around a bit after a terrible stretch right after the all-star break.

Agreed. If they had looked better in the wins over the O's and Royals, I think people would be more positive. This all hinges on the pitching staff- they just have to do better. The offense seems to be back, but you can't expect 6 or 7 runs every night- this team needs to show they can win a 3-2 game.

MadetoOrta
08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah we can bitch and moan about losing the game in Balt and KC but the bottom line is we need to sweep someone in the hunt; whether it's Detroit, NYY or Boston. We need to send that message. Anyhow, with Roy H going tomorrow, I will gladly accept 2 of 3 in Toronto [if offered today] and head home.

StillMissOzzie
08-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Hell yes, winning 2 out of 3 the rest of the way out means that the Sox would win 99 games again, which IMHO would be good wnough to get into the post-season. That said, I wish they'd sweep some of these weak sisters because I don't see them winning 2 out of 3 from some of the tougher teams, at least not all the time. Look at my signature for the count of non-sweeps I have been fortunate to have attended this year!

SMO
:angry:

ChiSoxLifer
08-03-2006, 08:30 PM
When you win the first two games against also-rans, the team needs to have that killer instinct to take the third game. If they take that third game versus the cubs, Royals, and Orioles, the Sox are 3 up on the wild card and only 5 1/2 behind the Tigers. This could be the difference between a 98 win team who makes the playoffs versus a 95 win team watching from home. Yes, a 95 win team might not make the playoffs this year. Yes, the Sox need to sweep these teams when they have the freaking opportunity. Do you guys really think they're going to win every series through October? I sure the hell don't.

I want Mags back
08-03-2006, 08:49 PM
if you take the first 2, that better not just be good enough. Plan on sweeping

the gooch
08-04-2006, 09:43 AM
I have seen plenty of quotes (do not have one specifically) in the papers where the Sox players or coaches say something like, "We focus on winning series...if we win two of every three we will be in good shape.." While that is true, do you guys think the Sox are merely satisfied taking two of three in a series, because there have been a good amount of times where we have taken the first two and lost the third including the last two series, and earlier Tiger series and both Cubs series. Furthermore, can't Cleveland learn that the guy who blew the save two nights ago sucks??!! I guess not, he just blew it again....2 HBP's 1 BB and a double all with two out....glorious:angry:
that was mostly said during the manuel era, and was the reason he pulled buehrle from the third game in yankee stadium in '03.
they probably have said it a couple times this year, but i doubt it is their "philosophy" like it was for the previous regime. what else do you say after dropping a game #3 to a bunch of schmucks?