PDA

View Full Version : Borchard.

doctor30th
02-18-2002, 09:53 PM
I read something about him being better in Centerfield then in the corners. Anyone else read that.

And if you had, got a link, I can't seem to find one.

RichH55
02-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I read something about him being better in Centerfield then in the corners. Anyone else read that.

I read the same thing...though I'm sure he could learn the corners if it goes to that...the fact that he is adapting well to CF is nothing but a plus.....and as an aside the correct way to refer to Borchard in these parts is LTP ...just for future reference

doctor30th
02-18-2002, 10:18 PM
I know, I just used borchard cause people who don't know LPT would know what the hell I was talking about.

some newbie who saw me type "anyone have an article on LPT playing better in Center field than the corners?". Might not have a clue.

Well I guess we would to have to put it up either way. Forgive me for my indiscretion.

FarWestChicago
02-18-2002, 10:22 PM
Well I guess we would to have to put it up either way. Forgive me for my indiscretion. No problem, Doc. Real names, nicknames, it doesn't matter. The WSI Dictionary is available for people interested in nicknames. But, that doesn't mean you have to use them. :smile:

Daver
02-18-2002, 10:23 PM
I know, I just used borchard cause people who don't know LPT would know what the hell I was talking about.

some newbie who saw me type "anyone have an article on LPT playing better in Center field than the corners?".

Well I guess we would to have to put it up either way. Forgive me for my discretion.

With his arm,Borchard is a natural for RF.The only problem being that there is already a guy playing that position.

:maggs

Ever heard of me?

RedPinStripes
02-18-2002, 10:42 PM
I'd rather see mags in LF and Rowand in right.

Daver
02-18-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'd rather see mags in LF and Rowand in right.

Rowand does not have the arm to play right.Magglio's arm is there,but his accuracy is in question.

RedPinStripes
02-18-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by daver

Rowand does not have the arm to play right.Magglio's arm is there,but his accuracy is in question.

The reason I say that is, LF is usually the spot for the waekest defensive player. Between Maggs, LTP, and Rowand, Maggs is the weakest link.

Daver
02-18-2002, 11:26 PM

The reason I say that is, LF is usually the spot for the waekest defensive player. Between Maggs, LTP, and Rowand, Maggs is the weakest link.

No Rowand is,by a large margin.

kermittheefrog
02-18-2002, 11:28 PM

I'd have to disagree there. Maggs isn't much more than average defensively and Rowand can cover a lot of ground. It's not like anyone has serious talks of moving Maggs to center so I think it's pretty obvious the Sox regard Rowand as the better defender.

Daver
02-18-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I'd have to disagree there. Maggs isn't much more than average defensively and Rowand can cover a lot of ground. It's not like anyone has serious talks of moving Maggs to center so I think it's pretty obvious the Sox regard Rowand as the better defender.

Rowand does not have enough arm to play right,Ordonez does.The only problem I see with Maggs is with balls hit in front of him,I have not seen a real problem with the rest of his defensive skills,except for his limited range,and if Borchard can learn the center position well,that shoud be covered.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

RedPinStripes
02-18-2002, 11:37 PM

Where do you get that idea? Ever see maggs mis judge a ball or take a bad rout? I have many times. He's not terrible, but not great in RF. I think he'll get a better read in LF.

RedPinStripes
02-18-2002, 11:38 PM
The ONLY thing Maggs has over rowand defensivly is his arm.

RichH55
02-18-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
No problem, Doc. Real names, nicknames, it doesn't matter. The WSI Dictionary is available for people interested in nicknames. But, that doesn't mean you have to use them. :smile:

And you want to be our Big Brother! Sad...sad..sad...I think we spent more advertising time for that Dictionary than I've seen for the Chicago Fire :D: We must use it!@ Or else

bc2k
02-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Magglio is decent in RF. Rowand is the better defensive RF and outfielder than Maggs. Magglio is often out of position. I don't know whose job it is to work with the outfielders, but his biggest problem is positioning himself in the outfield. He has a good arm and catches balls, but he would catch more if he knew where to play.

Daver
02-19-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Magglio is decent in RF. Rowand is the better defensive RF and outfielder than Maggs. Magglio is often out of position. I don't know whose job it is to work with the outfielders, but his biggest problem is positioning himself in the outfield. He has a good arm and catches balls, but he would catch more if he knew where to play.

Have you any idea of what you are talking about?

http://users.pandora.be/p0p0/youare.swf

kermittheefrog
02-19-2002, 12:13 AM
It's a pretty damn bold and hard to backup statement when you say Maggs is badly positioned in the outfield. My point is Rowand has better range than Maggs and the most important part of defense is getting to the ball where it's hit. Maggs does have a good arm whereas Rowand's is average but while a strong arm is showy, it doesn't save nearly as many runs as good legs.

Champ Summers
02-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Baseball America did vote Aaron Rowand to have the best outfield arm in AA (Barons) in 2000. Maggs playing left is one hell of a boost defensively, nuts to caballo.

Chisox_cali
02-19-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
Baseball America did vote Aaron Rowand to have the best outfield arm in AA (Barons) in 2000. Maggs playing left is one hell of a boost defensively, nuts to caballo.

2003 outfield In my World:

LF Maggs CF Harris RF LTP

Vsahajpal
02-19-2002, 01:42 AM

From BA's scouting report:

The White Sox hope Borchard will give away fewer at-bats as he gains experience. They’re willing to accept strikeouts if he provides power, especially from center field. While Borchard is an excellent athlete, it takes him time to get his 6-foot-5 frame moving. His range is considered below-average in center but some scouts believe it’s his best position. He seemed tentative when used on the corners in the Arizona Fall League.

RedPinStripes
02-19-2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

2003 outfield In my World:

LF Maggs CF Harris RF LTP

If Harris is as good as they say defensivly and as a leadoff man, I have no problem with that at all.

RichH55
02-19-2002, 11:48 AM

If Harris is as good as they say defensivly and as a leadoff man, I have no problem with that at all.

And what happens to Carlos or Konerko? Not saying I oppose this, just saying if you want Hummel at 2B, Harris at CF, Borchard in RF, Mags moving to LF, Crede being the 3B...and maybe Olivio in there since you dont have enough change........thats alot of turnover for what should be a division champ and potential World Series favorite/contender for 2003.....Im hoping alot of these guys get long looks in 2002(Borchard post all-streak break and Crede right a damn way Post Royce Arrow Incident)

doctor30th
02-19-2002, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I think that exactly what I remember.

Thank you.

RedPinStripes
02-19-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

And what happens to Carlos or Konerko? Not saying I oppose this, just saying if you want Hummel at 2B, Harris at CF, Borchard in RF, Mags moving to LF, Crede being the 3B...and maybe Olivio in there since you dont have enough change........thats alot of turnover for what should be a division champ and potential World Series favorite/contender for 2003.....Im hoping alot of these guys get long looks in 2002(Borchard post all-streak break and Crede right a damn way Post Royce Arrow Incident)

You'll never hear anything out of me about Lee's future. We already have one of his type and that's Thomas. Trade Lee for Pitching. He's not half the hitter Thomas is, and he's usless in the field. Whenever Thomas goes, Maggs will be a nice DH unless he ends up leaving I would hope they don't let Konerko go. Think reality here. All those guys you mentioned are going to be here in 2003. It's all part of Jerry's money plan unless he's going to package them away for 1 or 2 good players which I doubt. There will be a huge turnover in 2003.

RichH55
02-19-2002, 01:28 PM

You'll never hear anything out of me about Lee's future. We already have one of his type and that's Thomas. Trade Lee for Pitching. He's not half the hitter Thomas is, and he's usless in the field. Whenever Thomas goes, Maggs will be a nice DH unless he ends up leaving I would hope they don't let Konerko go. Think reality here. All those guys you mentioned are going to be here in 2003. It's all part of Jerry's money plan unless he's going to package them away for 1 or 2 good players which I doubt. There will be a huge turnover in 2003.

I don't know with how much of this I agree with.....C Lee wont win you gold gloves in LF, but I asked before and not many people could name me guys who were better than adequate over in LF these days(how good do you think Chipper Jones is going to look out there?)...Why don't you like lee, but hope konerko stays? Just wondering there? They both seem like better than average players based mainly on hitting stats and play average or so Defense for their positions(which happen to be the positions you put hitters at)...Lee is stigned for 2 years and Konerko's deal is up after this year and the general consensus is that Lee has more of an upside(though many will disagree on whether he can ever reach it).

I would also think that if both stay here til Post Thomas that konerko would be more suited to the DH role than Mags, especially with Rogowski coming up. And jerry as shown he will spend money(though not always wisely)...Borchard got a huge bonus for that time and he gave KW the go ahead to reup Erstad long-term if we got him(or so the story goes). We lose a bunch of money of the payroll next year(10-15 million) with simple common sense, so why do we need to play all rookies as well? The names that were discussed this offseason with some sort of viablity were Giles and Erstad(both would make pretty good money here)...plus with the amount of prospects we have...not all can play, or at least not start.....I can see a package deal happening(KW will package and go for a homerun deal as he has before)....I dont think Harris is a guy you want to be leading off for a contending ballclub...especially not as a rookie....great stolen bases and a good OBP(.364?), but minor league .364 doesnt turn into a major league .364 right off the bat...and I would like to see better OBP from a leadoff hitter anyway....We will see what happens of course....but Im not buying into the cheapskate theory for 2003 just yet

RedPinStripes
02-19-2002, 01:39 PM
I hope you're right about KW pulling off a big deal. They need to pull one off to go to the next level. Harris seems like the only answer for a leadoff man next year unless they go and get anotehr leadoff man, or Ray stays. I doubt Lofton will be re-signed.

I like Konerko much more then Lee. Konerko turns a 3-6-3 as good as anyone in baseball and has gotten better at the plate every year. I'd put Konerko a few steps ahead of Lee on defense eventhough it's tough to compare those 2 positions. I just can't see Lee turning into the hitter people think he can be. I noticed in the second half last year pitchers gave him nothing but outside pitches because he's a great high and inside hitter. I think that was a big part of his average drop. Also, I would like to have a good outfield. Rowand, Borchrd, Maggs, or Harris are all much better then Lee Defensivly.

hold2dibber
02-19-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

From BA's scouting report:

The White Sox hope Borchard will give away fewer at-bats as he gains experience. They’re willing to accept strikeouts if he provides power, especially from center field. While Borchard is an excellent athlete, it takes him time to get his 6-foot-5 frame moving. His range is considered below-average in center but some scouts believe it’s his best position. He seemed tentative when used on the corners in the Arizona Fall League.

I heard on the radio Sunday that Borchard had, out of his own (very deep) pockets hired a sprinting instructor to help him improve his speed and range in the outfield. I think CF is where his future lies.

RichH55
02-19-2002, 01:46 PM
I hope you're right about KW pulling off a big deal. They need to pull one off to go to the next level. Harris seems like the only answer for a leadoff man next year unless they go and get anotehr leadoff man, or Ray stays. I doubt Lofton will be re-signed.

I like Konerko much more then Lee. Konerko turns a 3-6-3 as good as anyone in baseball and has gotten better at the plate every year. I'd put Konerko a few steps ahead of Lee on defense eventhough it's tough to compare those 2 positions. I just can't see Lee turning into the hitter people think he can be. I noticed in the second half last year pitchers gave him nothing but outside pitches because he's a great high and inside hitter. I think that was a big part of his average drop. Also, I would like to have a good outfield. Rowand, Borchrd, Maggs, or Harris are all much better then Lee Defensivly.

How many 3-6-3's are there a year? Just curious as I didn't think they came up all that often....And you don't think LF is intrisicly important defensively do you? The main question is where you peg Lee's potential, if you don't think he can do better and that the 2nd half is indiciative of his future than I can fully can see where you are coming from. Either 2002 is basically Lee's proving year with the White Sox....is the .300 hitter 70 extra base hit guy that I see(and I think kermit does as i'm stealing his projection) the Real C Lee or is it that 2nd half from last year....If he hits 30 HRs and bats .300 in 2002 I dont think the upgrade defensively from Lee to Magglio in LF in worth it...and the reports on Borchard's Defense from a corner slot arent exactly mind-boggling either....Unless Harris can come in and play with a .370+ OBP than you will have a hard time swaying me from Lee's potential

RichH55
02-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I heard on the radio Sunday that Borchard had, out of his own (very deep) pockets hired a sprinting instructor to help him improve his speed and range in the outfield. I think CF is where his future lies.

And the reports were that he hadn't taken to the corner slots that well either....Harris is looking like less and less as an important part of the future unless the hierarchy likes him over Hummel(which I dont)

kermittheefrog
02-19-2002, 02:15 PM
I dunno what you guys have read abotu Harris but the scouting reports I've seen have him as a utility man rather than an everyday leadoff hitter.

RichH55
02-19-2002, 02:22 PM
I dunno what you guys have read abotu Harris but the scouting reports I've seen have him as a utility man rather than an everyday leadoff hitter.

If Hummel wasnt here, I would have him as the heir apparent to Ray, but Hummel strikes me as a guy who will be a much better major leaguer than Harris, so unless Crede simply cant hack it at 3B or we are in dire straights for a leadoff hitter than Harris starts to look at that superutily role and the heir apparent to Tony Graffiano

PANFIRECRACKER
02-19-2002, 02:33 PM

How about C Lee as DH and trading Frank. This makes us younger at dh and allows the aforementioned Maggs/Harris/LTP outfield as well as Hummel at 2b. We don't know how many good years Frank has left. He'd probably approve the trade to guarantee the remainder of his contract.

kermittheefrog
02-19-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by PANFIRECRACKER

How about C Lee as DH and trading Frank. This makes us younger at dh and allows the aforementioned Maggs/Harris/LTP outfield as well as Hummel at 2b. We don't know how many good years Frank has left. He'd probably approve the trade to guarantee the remainder of his contract.

No way we can trade Frank if he's healthy he's our best hitter and no one else comes close.

RedPinStripes
02-19-2002, 03:00 PM

No. I shouldn't have to explain why.

RedPinStripes
02-19-2002, 03:08 PM

How many 3-6-3's are there a year? Just curious as I didn't think they came up all that often....And you don't think LF is intrisicly important defensively do you? The main question is where you peg Lee's potential, if you don't think he can do better and that the 2nd half is indiciative of his future than I can fully can see where you are coming from. Either 2002 is basically Lee's proving year with the White Sox....is the .300 hitter 70 extra base hit guy that I see(and I think kermit does as i'm stealing his projection) the Real C Lee or is it that 2nd half from last year....If he hits 30 HRs and bats .300 in 2002 I dont think the upgrade defensively from Lee to Magglio in LF in worth it...and the reports on Borchard's Defense from a corner slot arent exactly mind-boggling either....Unless Harris can come in and play with a .370+ OBP than you will have a hard time swaying me from Lee's potential

I think defense is important anywhere. And there might not be that many 3-6-3's all year, but when you have a guy who does it well it always makes for a huge out. You want to see thomas try to throw? Not me.

Lee is still young and I'm mainly critical of him because of his second half. Hopefull someone is working with him on going to rf because he grounded out a lot on outside pitches even when he wasn't trying to pull it. The way it looks, Lee will get to prove more to us this year. If he can rebound, I promise you i'll lay off him.

RedPinStripes
02-19-2002, 03:11 PM

I don't know that much about the guy, but I hope he can be a leadoff man because you know damn well KW is going to force him on us until he gets booed for coming out of the dug out. Also, I'm pulling for the guy. Just because it would be nice to have a young leadoff man. Do you think there is any potential of him being more then a utility man?

RichH55
02-19-2002, 04:11 PM

. The way it looks, Lee will get to prove more to us this year. If he can rebound, I promise you i'll lay off him.

Ohhhhh...you mean if a player actually performs well we don't get to keep our offseason hatreds of him? Damn....stupid "laws"

RedPinStripes
02-19-2002, 05:24 PM

Ohhhhh...you mean if a player actually performs well we don't get to keep our offseason hatreds of him? Damn....stupid "laws"

Understand this rich.............

Last year in the field.......... BAD!

Last year at the plate........ BAD!

Every reason to bash him in the off season. He's your boy so be it. I don't think he is going to be the player everyone thinks he will be. And with this Roster being crouded, I don't like seeing a dumbass out there in LF when we have better defensive players that can hit at least what he did. So I stand by what I said, and it's a common law. Play well, you get credit. I can't stand Clayton and I wasn't all over him late in the season like I was in the first half eventhough I really want him outa here before opening day.

foulkesfan11
02-19-2002, 08:55 PM
I'd like to see Maggs in Right, Rowand in Left & Borchard in CF

:kelly

RichH55
02-19-2002, 11:29 PM

Understand this rich.............

Last year in the field.......... BAD!

Last year at the plate........ BAD!

Every reason to bash him in the off season. He's your boy so be it. I don't think he is going to be the player everyone thinks he will be. And with this Roster being crouded, I don't like seeing a dumbass out there in LF when we have better defensive players that can hit at least what he did. So I stand by what I said, and it's a common law. Play well, you get credit. I can't stand Clayton and I wasn't all over him late in the season like I was in the first half eventhough I really want him outa here before opening day.

Iwas being sarcastic...sorry for the lack of teal....mi mal...no worries...I have faith in C Lee and dont think DF in LF is the end-all be-all, but if he has an OPS under .800 again he needs to be out of here when we have viable options

bc2k
02-20-2002, 01:30 AM

I like this guy. He thinks like me. Another reason for having carlos at dh is having a base steeling threat at the dh position. This would also allow an outfield of maggs, borchard, rowand the guys whom I prefer in the outfield. Hummell or harris at second with the other as trade bait or utility infielder. -michael penny

RedPinStripes
02-20-2002, 05:40 AM

I like this guy. He thinks like me. Another reason for having carlos at dh is having a base steeling threat at the dh position. This would also allow an outfield of maggs, borchard, rowand the guys whom I prefer in the outfield. Hummell or harris at second with the other as trade bait or utility infielder. -michael penny

And let me guess. You want to trade Thomas or Konerko so Lee can DH right? You're smoking that crack again.

RedPinStripes
02-20-2002, 05:50 AM

Iwas being sarcastic...sorry for the lack of teal....mi mal...no worries...I have faith in C Lee and dont think DF in LF is the end-all be-all, but if he has an OPS under .800 again he needs to be out of here when we have viable options

Teal is important dude :smile:

There is one thing that will make want Lee out there over Rowand or a better defensive player. .300+, 30+ hr, 90+rbi. Ok, I'll go for .290+. Yeah, it's a lot to ask for, but some people think he can do it. Anyone who can hit like that has a spot on my team if he's in LF.

I'll look on the positive side here. Lee might get better in LF. He was drafted as a third baseman and I guess he was moved because that didn't work out. The way he looked at times last year just made me sick. I would hope that changes, or is covered up by great offense.

Randar68
02-20-2002, 07:58 AM
Carlos takes his woes at the plate to the field with him, and vice versa. In his first 2 years, he was one of the best young hitters in the game and always went to RF when the situation called for it. I think Frank's absense affected Calros more than any other player. He went from 6th or 7th in the lineup to all over the place from 2nd to 5th...

Carlos is a great young hitter, but he needs to mature at the plate...

RedPinStripes
02-20-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Carlos takes his woes at the plate to the field with him, and vice versa. In his first 2 years, he was one of the best young hitters in the game and always went to RF when the situation called for it. I think Frank's absense affected Calros more than any other player. He went from 6th or 7th in the lineup to all over the place from 2nd to 5th...

Carlos is a great young hitter, but he needs to mature at the plate...

I would hope you're right. Eventhough I rip the guy, I'd love to see him return to the 2000 form at least. Maybe Thomas' return will help him and durham?

kermittheefrog
02-20-2002, 12:37 PM

Why do we need stolen bases from the DH position? Oh wait I forgot the Sox are a fantasy team. You should talk to cornball, I'm sure he'd agree with you.

RichH55
02-20-2002, 12:54 PM

Why do we need stolen bases from the DH position? Oh wait I forgot the Sox are a fantasy team. You should talk to cornball, I'm sure he'd agree with you.

Or here's a good article to read.... http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/mcadam_sean/1333246.html (http://)

RichH55
02-20-2002, 12:54 PM
The key number to remember on SB's ...70% success ratio is the break even point.....ouch

PANFIRECRACKER
02-20-2002, 01:03 PM

No way we can trade Frank if he's healthy he's our best hitter and no one else comes close.

health may be the big"if".

PANFIRECRACKER
02-20-2002, 01:05 PM

No. I shouldn't have to explain why.

Perhaps you should for those not blessed with your acumen.

voodoochile
02-20-2002, 02:05 PM

health may be the big"if".

Out of curiousity, why do you say that? Frank has not exacly been inury prone in his career. Why do you feel it is suddenly an issue?

RedPinStripes
02-20-2002, 02:36 PM

Perhaps you should for those not blessed with your acumen.

If you think Lee is a better hitter then Thomas, I'll never prove a point to you anyway.

PANFIRECRACKER
02-20-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Out of curiousity, why do you say that? Frank has not exacly been inury prone in his career. Why do you feel it is suddenly an issue?

torn triceps tendon is not a common injury. power comes from the triceps during the swing. If he was 18 I wouldn't be concerned, however his age and size make me concerned.

PANFIRECRACKER
02-20-2002, 03:19 PM

If you think Lee is a better hitter then Thomas, I'll never prove a point to you anyway.

I'm not referring to the past. let's revisit this next fall when we'll know if frank is still the same hitter and C Lee shows last year was an off year or a trend.

voodoochile
02-20-2002, 03:45 PM

torn triceps tendon is not a common injury. power comes from the triceps during the swing. If he was 18 I wouldn't be concerned, however his age and size make me concerned.

I was just thinking about this. Frank probably got lucky that they had just done some work on the tricep of Mo Vaughn the year before. A similar type of hitter with similar size issues. Hope the added experience payed off in a better recovery for Big Frank.

Time will tell...

RedPinStripes
02-20-2002, 04:00 PM

I'm not referring to the past. let's revisit this next fall when we'll know if frank is still the same hitter and C Lee shows last year was an off year or a trend.

Frank hurt his Left tricept right? I would imagine there is more stress on the right tricept for a rh batter. I doubt this will effect him much, but we'll see.

Nellie_Fox
02-20-2002, 04:17 PM
and as an aside the correct way to refer to Borchard in these parts is LTP ...just for future reference
Jeez, now if you don't use the clever little WSI inside references you are issued a rebuke?

FarWestChicago
02-20-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Jeez, now if you don't use the clever little WSI inside references you are issued a rebuke? I set the record straight a couple of messages later. :smile:

Nellie_Fox
02-20-2002, 04:22 PM
I set the record straight a couple of messages later. :smile:
Yeah, I saw that, but not until after I replied. Too quick to the quote button I guess.

FarWestChicago
02-20-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Yeah, I saw that, but not until after I replied. Too quick to the quote button I guess. No, I think your comment was needed, too. :smile:

Vsahajpal
02-20-2002, 05:42 PM
power comes from the triceps?

lmao!

Daver
02-20-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
power comes from the triceps?

lmao!

I have to agree with Vic on this one.

RichH55
02-20-2002, 06:11 PM
No, I think your comment was needed, too. :smile:

Yes I was only rebuked a few times for my rebuke prior....I think 3 more are still needed!

Cubbiesuck13
02-20-2002, 07:52 PM
I read somewhere that Borchard is too big to play center,but do to JM's biased towards offense and will take away from his defense.