PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Sends a Message, Benches Uribe

TheOldRoman
08-02-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't think this was posted yet, so here's (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside02.html) the story.

Ozzie didn't like the effort he has seen from Uribe lately, so he benched him for last night's game. Ozzie felt the Uribe was taking his hitting into the field with him, and was a little lax on defense. I agree with Ozzie 100%, and I think it is about damn time he calls guys out and sits them for their play on defense. He mentioned Podsednik, also. Scott has been horrrible this year in left, much worse than last year. It is probably a lack of concentration with him.
Also, Dye has been awful in right of late. He is jogging after short flies and letting them fall infront of him, he is getting bad reads, and he is lobbing balls back into the infield. I'm sure Dye is tired, and I know he has been on fire lately, but Ozzie needs to sit him down and let him know that they expect more from him on defense.

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree with you except that you can't sit Dye if PK and Thome are out of the lineup. Ozzie has sent the message that if you get lazy, there are players behind you that are good enough to take your spot.

I think Uribe will be back in the lineup soon, but his job is obviosly not safe.

TheOldRoman
08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I agree with you except that you can't sit Dye if PK and Thome are out of the lineup. Ozzie has sent the message that if you get lazy, there are players behind you that are good enough to take your spot.

I think Uribe will be back in the lineup soon, but his job is obviosly not safe.
Well, I didn't necessarily say Dye should sit a game. Dye is a vet, and he is the consumate professional. I think it would be enough to sit him down and let him know that he needs to play better on defense. Ozzie doesn't need to send a message to Dye the way he did with Uribe.

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Well, I didn't necessarily say Dye should sit a game. Dye is a vet, and he is the consumate professional. I think it would be enough to sit him down and let him know that he needs to play better on defense. Ozzie doesn't need to send a message to Dye the way he did with Uribe.

Got it. Not bench him, sit him down and talk with him.

Deuce
08-02-2006, 03:29 PM
http://www.stanges.com/images/lodge/FishChair2.jpg

"It's a Venezuelan message. It means Juan Uribe sits on the benches.

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.stanges.com/images/lodge/FishChair2.jpg

"It's a Venezuelan message. It means Juan Uribe sits on the benches.

Why the fish-shaped chair?:redneck

Lip Man 1
08-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I saw that and was pleased Ozzie made his comments about it. I don't know what Juan's status is going to be in the future. This certainly doesn't help matters for him.

That's why in the thread posted elsewhere on who would you replace/ upgrade, I listed Uribe along with four others.

It'll be interesting to see how this proceeds in the off season and beyond. He did have a reputation as I recall in Colorado of not working hard at his craft.

Lip

jdm2662
08-02-2006, 03:35 PM
He had a half ass throw to first on Monday, and that was probably the final straw. Cintron is a very capable player, and can fill the spot nicely.

IlliniSox4Life
08-02-2006, 03:39 PM
He had a half ass throw to first on Monday, and that was probably the final straw. Cintron is a very capable player, and can fill the spot nicely.

Cintron can more than fill the spot nicely. I can handle Juan's streaky bat in it's down times if he keeps it up on defense, but once he starts half assing it in the field, Cintron gets to start.

samram
08-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I think Dye may look lazy because he has those long strides and he's not all that quick. He's the best all-around player on the team and I don't think he ever gives less than 100%.

Pods, on the other hand, is lazy in left and I think he has a little bit of a problem hustling to first base.

MISoxfan
08-02-2006, 03:40 PM

Didn't he come up through the Marlins?

soltrain21
08-02-2006, 03:48 PM
If we are "sitting" Dye it better be because he is tired. I don't think he needs a message sent to him. He plays the game hard every day.

Dye is giving 100 percent all the time, it just might be that he is tired and he himself isn't 100 percent right now.

MarySwiss
08-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Just in case you're not kidding--in a classic scene from "The Godfather," Luca Brasi's vest is delivered to the Corleone compound. When they unwrap it, inside is a fish. Someone--Sonny, I think--asks, "What the hell is that?" and someone else--Tessio, I think--says, "It's an old Sicilian message. It means that Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes."

DaleJRFan
08-02-2006, 03:54 PM
I saw that and was pleased Ozzie made his comments about it. I don't know what Juan's status is going to be in the future. This certainly doesn't help matters for him.

That's why in the thread posted elsewhere on who would you replace/ upgrade, I listed Uribe along with four others.

It'll be interesting to see how this proceeds in the off season and beyond. He did have a reputation as I recall in Colorado of not working hard at his craft.

Lip

Especially considering Ozzie's quote of (verbatim) "He's taking his bat onto the field with him" effectively saying "He can't field and he can't hit"...

batmanZoSo
08-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't think this was posted yet, so here's (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside02.html) the story.

Ozzie didn't like the effort he has seen from Uribe lately, so he benched him for last night's game. Ozzie felt the Uribe was taking his hitting into the field with him, and was a little lax on defense. I agree with Ozzie 100%, and I think it is about damn time he calls guys out and sits them for their play on defense. He mentioned Podsednik, also. Scott has been horrrible this year in left, much worse than last year. It is probably a lack of concentration with him.
Also, Dye has been awful in right of late. He is jogging after short flies and letting them fall infront of him, he is getting bad reads, and he is lobbing balls back into the infield. I'm sure Dye is tired, and I know he has been on fire lately, but Ozzie needs to sit him down and let him know that they expect more from him on defense.

Great move by Ozzie, I couldn't agree more. There's no excuse or reason for this, an even better defensive team than the previous year, to be performing worse than the previous year. Uribe has been the biggest villain in that area.

LuvSox
08-02-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't mind Uribe's lollygagging. He reminds me of a young D'angelo Jiminez.

:D:

batmanZoSo
08-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I think Dye may look lazy because he has those long strides and he's not all that quick. He's the best all-around player on the team and I don't think he ever gives less than 100%.

Pods, on the other hand, is lazy in left and I think he has a little bit of a problem hustling to first base.

I agree about Dye, if anything he's beat from the heat. But tomorrow he's got an off day and it's gonna cool down considerably for the weekend.

I think Pods has a little Roger Dorn in him, like he's always doing his best not to get hurt. I just don't sense maximum effort from him all the time on defense and on the bases. When do you see him take the extra base on an overthrow to first or when the ball skips into center on a short hop when he steals second?

StatHead21
08-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Juan has been lazy with his throws and has been swing at everything, good move Ozzie.

DumpJerry
08-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Just in case you're not kidding--in a classic scene from "The Godfather," Luca Brasi's vest is delivered to the Corleone compound. When they unwrap it, inside is a fish. Someone--Sonny, I think--asks, "What the hell is that?" and someone else--Tessio, I think--says, "It's an old Sicilian message. It means that Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
Not to mention that Big ***** talks to Tony Soprano via the fish along the Boardwalk.

samram
08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
I agree about Dye, if anything he's beat from the heat. But tomorrow he's got an off day and it's gonna cool down considerably for the weekend.

I think Pods has a little Roger Dorn in him, like he's always doing his best not to get hurt. I just don't sense maximum effort from him all the time on defense and on the bases. When do you see him take the extra base on an overthrow to first or when the ball skips into center on a short hop when he steals second?
Hell, the plays are never even close at first when Pods is running. The Dorn comparison is very good.

:pods:
"It was out of my reach, what do you want me to do dive for it?"

:)

Scottiehaswheels
08-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Uribe has been the biggest villain in that area.

What? you are joking right? Uribe has 9 errors all year... Know how many other fulltime SS in MLB have fewer? 6.. And Uribe has had 2-3 just recently... Otherwise he'd be top 4-5.... BTW... Crede has 9 errors too... So I guess he and Uribe are co-villains?

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 04:43 PM

I've never seen the Godfather from beginning to end.:duck:

batmanZoSo
08-02-2006, 05:01 PM
What? you are joking right? Uribe has 9 errors all year... Know how many other fulltime SS in MLB have fewer? 6.. And Uribe has had 2-3 just recently... Otherwise he'd be top 4-5.... BTW... Crede has 9 errors too... So I guess he and Uribe are co-villains?

Everyone knows that errors alone don't tell the tale. I've seen a lot more hotdogging from him than I care to and obviously I'm not alone.

samram
08-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Everyone knows that errors alone don't tell the tale. I've seen a lot more hotdogging from him than I care to and obviously I'm not alone.

Yep. Not trying turns a lot of would-be tough chances and possible errors into basehits.

HITMEN OF 77
08-02-2006, 05:21 PM
A few days on the bench should do the work for Juan, but I'll take Uribe's goods over his bads any day.

Ol' No. 2
08-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Everyone knows that errors alone don't tell the tale. I've seen a lot more hotdogging from him than I care to and obviously I'm not alone.This was the knock on Uribe when he was with Colorado and is one of the reasons they traded him. He's got a great glove, but he has a tendency to get a little lax with his fielding. Last year it looked like he'd overcome that, but it seems to have returned.

Foulke You
08-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I agree with your take on Dye, samram. A lot of times, Dye's long strides give the optical illusion that he is slow or not hustling. The reality is, he covers a lot of ground with those strides. He doesn't strike me as a player that dogs it out there. I think some people are spoiled by Dye's defense. He was a definite defensive upgrade over Maggs. Better reads and a stronger arm.

As far as balls dropping in front of him, I think that play yesterday was a miscommunication between Dye and Gload. I think each of them thought the other was going to catch it.

Ol' No. 2
08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
As far as balls dropping in front of him, I think that play yesterday was a miscommunication between Dye and Gload. I think each of them thought the other was going to catch it.I don't think either one of them could have caught it.

oldcomiskey
08-02-2006, 06:11 PM

Lip
that may be why Kenny went after Visquel, other than the fact that he loves old Indians

dondosae1
08-02-2006, 08:41 PM
he just flubbed one in the 6th at KC...:mad:. I HATE it when he does that swat catch thing...

soxfan1965
08-02-2006, 08:54 PM
he just flubbed one in the 6th at KC...:mad:. I HATE it when he does that swat catch thing...
Maybe will grab some bench next game. We don't mind if Juan uses two hands to catch the ball.

Soxworldchamps
08-02-2006, 09:23 PM

On the other hand, he also just hit a home run... partial atonement :wink:

jenn2080
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
apparently he idd not send a good enough message! HR or no HR

:angry: :angry:

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 12:31 AM
On the other hand, he also just hit a home run... partial atonement :wink:
Yep. Reminds me of the Manual years. Who cares if they can field as long as they hit HRs.

He's starting to remind me of former Sox SS Jose V. A player you hate or love depending on what inning it is.

Bulls_Fan
08-03-2006, 12:54 AM
apparently he idd not send a good enough message! HR or no HR

:angry: :angry:

He is driving me nuts w/ his HR or nothing plate appearances.

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 01:25 AM
He is driving me nuts w/ his HR or nothing plate appearances.

Maybe in the offseason they should convince him to try switch hitting. Maybe at the left side he won't duplicate that batting stance which is every htting coaches nightmare. He probably has some bad habits that can't be fixed. Make him bat left.

Playah
08-03-2006, 02:27 AM
Maybe in the offseason they should convince him to try switch hitting. Maybe at the left side he won't duplicate that batting stance which is every htting coaches nightmare. He probably has some bad habits that can't be fixed. Make him bat left.

:dumbass:

oldcomiskey
08-03-2006, 07:10 AM
I've never seen the Godfather from beginning to end.:duck:
Ive seen it about 1000 times. One of the greats. and I dont even like Brando

oldcomiskey
08-03-2006, 07:14 AM
No, because Crede actually tries on every play---laziness is contageous in any workplace. I think the Uribe era is over, and I will miss him if he goes, just like I miss Manos. But the lazy play will not be tolerated from anyone. And thats the difference in ozzie and past managers.

I want Mags back
08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
do what you gotta do OZ

mrwag
08-03-2006, 09:04 AM
No, because Crede actually tries on every play---laziness is contageous in any workplace. I think the Uribe era is over, and I will miss him if he goes, just like I miss Manos. But the lazy play will not be tolerated from anyone. And thats the difference in ozzie and past managers.
I think that sums it up. The whole "grinder" theme is what defines the Sox now. If he can't play to that mold, He Gone.

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 11:29 AM
:dumbass:

Hopefully your intelligence is greater than this. :rolleyes: The 30 posts I've read so far under the name "Playah" gives me some hope. Your thread called Bumped to the roadhouse makes you worthy of you photo above. Your time may be better spent talking baseball instead of insulting members.

ilsox7
08-03-2006, 11:39 AM

I'm assuming you meant this in teal.

oldcomiskey
08-03-2006, 11:55 AM
He angers me enough from the side hes supposed to be good at

samram
08-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm assuming you meant this in teal.

Oh, come on, it can't be that hard to learn to hit with the opposite hand and then apply it against major league pitching after three months of training.:D:

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Oh, come on, it can't be that hard to learn to hit with the opposite hand and then apply it against major league pitching after three months of training.:D:

It's been done before. I didn't know the season ended in December either.

ilsox7
08-03-2006, 12:29 PM
It's been done before. I didn't know the season ended in December either.

I'm curious. Who has started switch hitting at age 26 in the middle of their major league career, having never done it before?

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 12:31 PM
He angers me enough from the side hes supposed to be good at

Which side is that? I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Anderson ends up with a better average.

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm curious. Who has started switch hitting at age 26 in the middle of their major league career, having never done it before?

Who knows with a "specific" question like that. But two guys that come to mind are Tim Raines and Maury Wills.

When is the age of 26 considered "middle of their major league career"? Last year was the only time I recall him being something other than a utility player.

I'm merely suggesting that maybe this is something that can be experimented soon as the season ends-not that becoming a switch hitter or else is etched in stone.

Maybe he'll become a better hitter with more experience. This is his 2nd year as a full time player. He finally got rid of that "cork screw" swing last year.

So let me clarify so I won't get flamed with stupid single word photos.

I'm not suggesting that it is not something your try during the season. It is only a suggestion to experiment with from Oct. to March.

ilsox7
08-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Who knows with a "specific" question like that. But two guys that come to mind are Tim Raines and Maury Wills.

When is the age of 26 considered "middle of their major league career"? Last year was the only time I recall him being something other than a utility player.

I'm merely suggesting that maybe this is something that can be experimented soon as the season ends-not that becoming a switch hitter or else is etched in stone.

Maybe he'll become a better hitter with more experience. This is his 2nd year as a full time player. He finally got rid of that "cork screw" swing last year.

So let me clarify so I won't get flamed with stupid single word photos.

I'm not suggesting that it is not something your try during the season. It is only a suggestion to experiment with from Oct. to March.
All of my research shows that both of those guys were switch-hitters when they broke into MLB. Again, the guy does not have to be 26. Age makes no difference. The point is to tell me one guy who decided one off season to start switch-hitting, having never done it before. And be successful at it.

EDIT: Found this article (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2003130029_art16.html)that talks about switch-hitting. It mentions how Wills started switch-hitting while in the minor leagues. It also talks about how Raines picked up on switch-hitting at the beginning of his pro career. It also mentions how difficult it is to start switch-hitting and how many guys who did it for years before pro baseball simply gave it up. My whole point is that it's utterly ridiculous to think Juan Uribe will all of a sudden become a left-handed hitter.
(http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2003130029_art16.html)

oldcomiskey
08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
All of my research shows that both of those guys were switch-hitters when they broke into MLB. Again, the guy does not have to be 26. Age makes no difference. The point is to tell me one guy who decided one off season to start switch-hitting, having never done it before. And be successful at it.
All of my reserach shows that Jose Valentin was a switch hitter too, but couldnt hit from the right side

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 01:45 PM

Well the world would still be flat if no one tried anything new.

DSpivack
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM

With that attitude, maybe Konerko can pitch!

samram
08-03-2006, 02:09 PM

I think the world would be round no matter what anyone tried.

stl_sox_fan
08-03-2006, 02:14 PM

No way, that's what ruined Jose Canseco's career!

kitekrazy
08-03-2006, 02:16 PM

Remember Wayne Nordhagen? They let him pitch when they were getting blown out. He was proabably better doing that than catching.

ilsox7
08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
I think the world would be round no matter what anyone tried.

:rolling: