PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate Kenny after the trade deadline

Fake Chet Lemon
08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Picking up Alomar, Riske and MacDougal were viewed as minor moves. Those moves all played a MAJOR role in Tuesday's victory against Kansas City.

Would you rather have had one big splashy trade, or are you good with the moves made by Williams? I liked the moves because Riske and MacDougal will help us next year too. Therefore I give Kenny Williams a "B" grade for his additions before the trade deadline. Keep in mind, picking up Cintron late in the Spring pretty much tapped out his payroll budget.

jenn2080
08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
I am completely fine with it. We did not need big trades we needed our team to get their heads on straight with a few tweeks.

kwolf68
08-02-2006, 01:06 PM
He did fine. Would have liked to have kept Lumsden, but Riske and Mac are huge upgrades. There was very little he could have done outside of swinging a Javier Vazquez for Jake Peavey deal.

Chisox003
08-02-2006, 01:06 PM
I give him an A

Cintron and Mackowiak have improved the bench dramatically.

Macdougal, Thornton and Riske bring a LOT to a bullpen that, to begin the season, was the weakest link on this club. Now it certainly isnt.

Sandy is a fine pickup simply for experience. If he can call a game like last night for Mark down the stretch, I'd say he's pretty well worth it.

KW has done all he can to this team. Now it's up to the players and Ozzie to get it done.

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Kenny gets an A in my book. The MacDougal trade was the big move he made.

hawkjt
And it is all relative- our main rivals for that wildcard spot(twins,red sox) did virtually nothing also.

twins fans are bitter that Ryan did not pull the trigger on a deal. However he may have known already that with Radke being pulled out after 3 innings in his last start due to ''tightness and pain'' in his shoulder and silvas knee acting up and liriano with forearm inflammation - that the twins would not have that great a shot at making a run and with radke retiring he needs his pitching prospects next year.

I think kenny did fine. No forfeiting the future for an overpriced star rental.

rainbow6
I don't believe Kenny had a payroll budget in terms of a mid-season move...if an impact player was available without "giving up the farm" in prospects, I doubt salary would have been an issue.

My biggest concern was obtaining a back-up centerfielder...not doing so was somewhat dissapointing.

I'm ok with his moves, although if McCarthy isn't stretched out soon to occupy his rightfull place in the rotation I fear they'll be in vain.

Luke

MeteorsSox4367
08-02-2006, 01:14 PM
I think Kenny accomplished a lot by doing very little. The trades for McDougal and Riske aren't earth-shattering, but gave the Sox two more quality arms in the 'pen.

I'm also happy as hell that he didn't trade away McCarthy and Anderson, two players I think are going to be huge parts of the Sox' future.

voodoochile
08-02-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't believe Kenny had a payroll budget in terms of a mid-season move...if an impact player was available without "giving up the farm" in prospects, I doubt salary would have been an issue.

My biggest concern was obtaining a back-up centerfielder...not doing so was somewhat dissapointing.

I'm ok with his moves, although if McCarthy isn't stretched out soon to occupy his rightfull place in the rotation I fear they'll be in vain.

Luke

I'm fine with McCarthy as a backup CF provided BA gets the vast majority of the starts. Why worry about a position the team needs at most one day a week. Now if you were talking about getting a serious AS caliber CF then that's different, but adding someone who will take away from Mack getting PA and PT, makes little sense to me.

StatHead21
08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
C+ MacDougal and Alomar were good moves, but I would have liked to see LF or SS upgraded. The line up is too dependent on 3-4-5 and with Thome and Konerko banged up it could come back to bite them. But, the waiver deadline never really stopped anyone recently from making a deal.

MrX
08-02-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm fine with McCarthy as a backup CF
:o:

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 01:21 PM

I think he meant Mackowiak.

voodoochile
08-02-2006, 01:22 PM

Whopps... that stupid thread in the WTS forum has me worked up about McCarthy.

Obviously I meant Mackowiak...:redface:

Meixner007
08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
In Kenny I Trust.

nysox35
08-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Whopps... that stupid thread in the WTS forum has me worked up about McCarthy.

Obviously I meant Mackowiak...:redface:

Why? At 6'7, Brandon has good reach and those long strides allow him to cover a lot of ground in a hurry.
:D:

Deuce
08-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Unlike most teams, Kenny filled the gaps before the season started. So, there wasn't much to do at midseason. IMHO, trading just for the sake of trading is the worst thing you can do. We took what we needed from what was available and nothing else. Honestly, outside of Soriano, there wasn't much else that was attractive, and even that was a bit questionable.

I give Kenny an A for effort and for sticking to a formula that already won us a championship. All that is needed is for the team to perform up to its potential. If they don't, then it wouldn't have mattered who they picked up.

Deuce

Steelrod
08-02-2006, 02:19 PM
An A. and glad he didn't make a major move. One hitter will not make any difference if the team starts hitting, nor will it make any difference if they don't.
I liked the team in April and like it more now. I never thought this year would be like last year and expect everything to still be up in the air on September 20th.

nug0hs
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Why? At 6'7, Brandon has good reach and those long strides allow him to cover a lot of ground in a hurry.
:D:

Good call. I was at the Grinder Bash on Thursday and had a chance to really see what the walls were like. I am 6'4" and had no problem getting my arm at least a foot over the yellow line in center. I feel like I could rob some home runs easily if I were in good shape and had the timing down (very unlikely to happen).

rdwj
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
If would be hard for me to give him anything lower than a B+. He made a couple of nice moves - nothing huge, but I don't think we needed huge anyway.

Jjav829
08-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Hard to give him a grade. But I trust that Kenny did the best that he could do. Sure, I would have liked to add Zito, Schmidt, Tejada or some other impact player, but I'm sure those teams were asking for a lot in return. I wouldn't give up McCarthy for two months of Zito, or Fields for Linebrink, or Crede and Buehrle (or whatever our equivalent would be to Oswalt, Ensberg and Everett) to land Tejada. So I'm content with what Kenny did. Hopefully the team starts to play better, but if not, like Kenny said, we'll have to create a new level of expectations.

TheOldRoman
08-02-2006, 02:48 PM
See the sig. I supported Kenny when people had heart attacks in the "Blum and Done" post-deadline thread last year, and I support him now.

Now, I have said all along that I was probably the founding (and only) member of Friends of Ross Gload. I really like his defense at first, and his good bat off the bench. For someone who, up until recently, had played less than half as much as any other bench guy, hitting close to .300 is really impressive. It is not easy to stay hot when you get to bat three times a week.
However, I thought that we really needed a backup CF. I wanted Anderson to be fulltime the whole year, but we still need someone who can give Anderson a rest every 10 games. Mackowiak is obvously a very good player, but he is attrocious in CF. I really wanted the Sox to get Brady Clark. He bats righty, and he plays CF, though he can play right and leftfield. He is very good defensively, and has an awesome arm. He is very fast, and he always gets on base (career .365 OBP). He would have allowed us to rest Anderson every once and a while, and besides that, he could step in to left and lead off against lefties.
Most importantly, the Brewers have a logjam in the outfield, and would be willing to give him up. He is 33, and obviously not in their plans for the future. I thought was was absolutely perfect for this team, and I thought Kenny was going to get rid of Gload to put him on the roster.

I guess what it comes down to is - we got burned last year because we didn't have a backup 1B. Kenny didn't want to go through that again, so he kept Ross on the team. Imagine our lineup the last few nights if we didn't have Gload (Mackowiak at 1st, Ozuna DH?:o:). For all the people saying "Mack can play first", no. He would be an emergency backup only. He has played 17.1 career innings at 1B. You are going to need to pinch run for Konerko, but not for Anderson, so I guess you need a backup 1B more than a backup CF. Anderson should be out there everyday for the rest of the season. I support Kenny's deadline, and I give him an A.

Domeshot17
08-02-2006, 03:20 PM
I was PISSED at the deadline, because I, like many others, had been watching ESPN and really thought Soriano was a twinkie and we did nothing to keep uo with the twins tigers and yankees. However, Today, knowing boston is now our wild card opponent, and they have wells and johnson in their rotation,The twins are relying on a bunch of kids to get them in,and Sean Casey has similiar stats to Ross Gload, makes me feel safer. We did well with Red Jack (anyone not in the room, was mentioned how Mike Mac looks like BlackJack but Scottished up and Red, so we called him Red Jack). And Riske. Filled out our pen nicely. I think the one thing that HAS to be done is Ozzie must put Brandon in the rotation if Vazquez continues to struggle

Overall: B-B+

DaleJRFan
08-02-2006, 03:56 PM
I am completely fine with it. We did not need big trades we needed our team to get their heads on straight with a few tweeks.

They are far and away the best team "on paper". I don't know what KW can do to get some of these guys to pull their heads out of the sand and start playing to potential. There wasn't a trade scenario out there that could have made the Sox any better (unless somehow a Tejada/Uribe swap was in the cards). :D:

rainbow6
08-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm fine with McCarthy as a backup CF provided BA gets the vast majority of the starts. Why worry about a position the team needs at most one day a week. Now if you were talking about getting a serious AS caliber CF then that's different, but adding someone who will take away from Mack getting PA and PT, makes little sense to me.

I would agree with you accept for the fact that Anderson sits much more than just once a week. Mack out there wandering around for more than that concerns me.

Having said that, I don't hold it against him - I understand he's doing the best he can.

Luke

Fake Chet Lemon
08-02-2006, 04:10 PM
I was probably the founding (and only) member of Friends of Ross Gload.

"FOADS" ?

1951Campbell
08-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Any action or inaction by KW isn't going to help the root problem--starters who have temporarily lost their way.

I'd say KW has done his part for now and the rest is on the team to turn it around, and they appear to be in the midst of turning it around.

Scottzilla
08-02-2006, 04:27 PM
i would have liked to have added zito tejada get big frank back on the team and joe jacksons ghost. but since we live in reality, i'd give him a B bullpen help was needed and it looks like things are turning around. I think KW is much more willing to risk not doing anything than gambling.

asindc
08-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Just like last year, I think that other than minor tweaking, the team we have is good enough to get the job done. I'm relieved that none of our direct competitors have significantly improved. And no, I don't consider Abreu and Casey to be significant improvements. With that in mind, short of Tejada for Uribe (as an earlier poster mentioned... imagine that!), I am ok with Kenny not making any "major moves." Count me among those who think Riske and MacDougal will make positive contributions down the stretch.

CAREY33
08-02-2006, 05:30 PM
If people have been metioning the additions of Cintron and Mack when grading Kenny, then you have to include the addition of Thome. That was the biggest off-season addition in all of baseball, so Kenny gets an A+. I agree that Kenny did the right thing by making several minor addiontions instead of one major addition.

ShoelessJoeS
08-02-2006, 05:37 PM
His moves have been great this year. MacDougal will solidify a pretty solid 'pen (IMO). And Sandy brings much more to the plate than Widger ever did. Riske was also a very solid addition.

I know this isn't a deadline move, but remember who we gave up to get Thornton?

:D: :cool:

hawkjt
08-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Keep in mind that in 29 days we will have the call-ups like Sweeney or Owens to help out in Centerfield when BA needs a day off. Just need to get thru another 27 games or so and then the calvary arrives.