PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox in big trouble

Fenway
08-02-2006, 09:52 AM
It is only August 2nd but in the scramble for a playoff slot you would have to think Boston is in big trouble. I never thought they would trot Jason Johnson out to pitch again but...... Now in the last week both Trot Nixon and Jason Varitek have gone on the DL and Varitek might be gone for over a month which makes Mike Lowell the backup catcher:o:

The rotation is in shambles which is going to make it very hard to keep up with the Yankees or shudder the wild card.

Varitek out at least a month (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/02/varitek_out_at_least_a_month)

Jason Varitek is expected to be lost for at least a month because he requires arthroscopic surgery to repair partially torn meniscus cartilage in his left knee.

peelwonder
08-02-2006, 10:04 AM
I hate to say you're right because I can't stand the Hankees but they bought them some more players with Abreu and Lidle

Flight #24
08-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Jason Varitek is expected to be lost for at least a month because he requires arthroscopic surgery to repair partially torn meniscus cartilage in his left knee.

Good thing as a catcher he should be able to bounce back quickly from a knee injury. Or maybe they'll just DH him......

AuroraSoxFan
08-02-2006, 10:08 AM
I didn't kno wthose guys were hurt. Hope they recover soon. Fenway, I know your rotation may not be what you want it to be. But you still got some hurlers and some huge bats. Give it a while before you panic too much.

MarySwiss
08-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Good thing as a catcher he should be able to bounce back quickly from a knee injury. Or maybe they'll just DH him......

I know this is teal, but you actually make an excellent point. I have had a left lateral meniscus tear for several years and the reason I haven't done anything about it is because the orthopedic surgeon I consulted told me that the rehab and recovery is long and painful and afterwards you need to avoid doing things that would jar the knee, such as jumping and jogging. Since I play volleyball, I decided to just live with the occasional pain. But imagine if you're a catcher....

Deuce
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
I hope Jason gets well soon, but to be honest, losing Captain Varitek really isn't that much of a loss. His numbers are significantly down this year. Then again, I have no clue who the Wrong Sox have as their backup, so he could stink worse than Jason does.

Oh well, at least Manny will be able to go on vacation early this year. All this postseason stuff is really cutting into his "me" time. :redneck

Deuce

eriqjaffe
08-02-2006, 10:19 AM
:widger:
"Call me, Theo!"

NoShoesJoe
08-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Red Sox may pick up Widger or Blanco (amongst others) according to the article. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I like Widger, but if he goes to Boston, I hope he continues to struggle at the plate (.187 BA).

Flight #24
08-02-2006, 10:27 AM
I hope Jason gets well soon, but to be honest, losing Captain Varitek really isn't that much of a loss. His numbers are significantly down this year. Then again, I have no clue who the Wrong Sox have as their backup, so he could stink worse than Jason does.

Oh well, at least Manny will be able to go on vacation early this year. All this postseason stuff is really cutting into his "me" time. :redneck

Deuce

At the plate maybe. Behind it, he's pretty important to that team. And I've heard him many many times called their on-field leader/coach. Everything I hear about this says it's a huge loss to them, despite him having a subpar year with the bat.

Plus, it's not like they'll get a better hitter at C to replace him anyway. Doug Mirabelli? Chris Widger? Not exactly Victor Martinez.

Fenway
08-02-2006, 10:30 AM
I didn't kno wthose guys were hurt. Hope they recover soon. Fenway, I know your rotation may not be what you want it to be. But you still got some hurlers and some huge bats. Give it a while before you panic too much.

With the White Sox appearing to be out of their slump one has to make them the favorite for the Wild Card now. I know White Sox fans want the division but come October it really only matters that you are in. Of course the Twins can't be discounted either.

With the race for the playoffs so close every game is huge now and it is just my observation that Boston may have too many problems to overcome.

AuroraSoxFan
08-02-2006, 10:42 AM
With the White Sox appearing to be out of their slump one has to make them the favorite for the Wild Card now. I know White Sox fans want the division but come October it really only matters that you are in. Of course the Twins can't be discounted either.

With the race for the playoffs so close every game is huge now and it is just my observation that Boston may have too many problems to overcome.

I know the feeling. I have to agree that every game is pretty damn important these days. Got 5 teams pretty close to each other and just 3 spots for them. But I still hope you all take the division over the Boss's Boys. Can't stand that crew.

Flight #24
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
I know the feeling. I have to agree that every game is pretty damn important these days. Got 5 teams pretty close to each other and just 3 spots for them. But I still hope you all take the division over the Boss's Boys. Can't stand that crew.

Personally, Id rather see the Spankees in the postseason than either the BloSox or the Twinks. It's quite simple. I'd rather face RandyJ/Mussina than Schilling/Beckett or especially Santana/Liriano.

And in the postseason, your top pitchers pitching like they should is the single biggest determinant of victory. The Yanks have a great lineup, but good pitching beats good hitting.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
We are getting lucky, things are setting up to give us a Wild card. The Yankees surge is irrelevant if the Red Sox fade. And Liriano is missing his next start for the Twins.

But we need to take care of business against the Blue Jays. Don't give them a red carpet into the playoff race like we did for the Red Sox, Yankees and Twins. That would be brutal if we did.

caulfield12
08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm sure the Tigers felt as if they let the Twins back into it Sunday.

Now it's WED and everyone in Minnesota is surrendering already.

Everything changes so quickly in this game. Varitek's strongest asset to the club was his pre-game preparation and the relationship he has developed over time with all the Red Sox pitchers. Plus, he's the captain.

They can use Wily Mo Pena for Nixon in RF and lose some defense and gain a little offense. But losing Varitek hurts the offense a litle and is really an impact on the pitching staff.

Jason Johnson, Beckett, Schilling and Wells have looked rough to horrible recently. The only decent starter they have is Lester, and usually Schilling, although Beckett has won quite a few due to their offense (see the White Sox Effect). Haven't heard much about Clement's status, but I wouldn't count on him either.

They were going to start Kyle Snyder this week (a Royals' castoff) so that tells you something about their desperation...that and the fact that they are forced to keep running Jason Johnson out there.

NoShoesJoe
08-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Varitek's strongest asset to the club was his pre-game preparation

Gee, I wonder if Widger's lack of pre-game prep will improve if the BoSox pick him up

Oblong
08-02-2006, 11:19 AM
I wonder what would have happened if this occurred last week instead of this week. (before the trade deadline)

I'm glad this happened because now maybe they'll fall out and that means one less team competing for a wild card slot.

Fenway
08-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Haven't heard much about Clement's status, but I wouldn't count on him either.

Last we heard about him he came down with a dead arm in a rookie game in Ft Myers. Nobody expects him back.

From all accounts Boston did everything they could to get Clemens on Monday but the Astros owner wouldn't budge. Wells looked brutal on Monday night and he gained a lot of weight since his last start. Wakefield not expected back until Labor Day. They have a lot of doubleheaders coming up with all the rainouts this spring.

No way am I counting them out but of all the teams fighting for a spot they have the most problems at the moment.

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Quick question:
Did the Red Sox really have to trade Kelly Shoppach to make the Coco Crisp deal work? Could they have given up somebody else?

I'm sure Red Sox fans would take him over Chris Widger.

White Sox Randy
08-02-2006, 12:43 PM
The White Sox haven't turned anything around and are not playing any better.

I'm still optimistic that they will but until then, I won't predict that they will win anything.

They look like crap against Balt. and K.C.

If they continue to play like this, they won't be in the playoffs regardless of other team's injuries.

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 01:15 PM
The White Sox haven't turned anything around and are not playing any better.

I'm still optimistic that they will but until then, I won't predict that they will win anything.

They look like crap against Balt. and K.C.

If they continue to play like this, they won't be in the playoffs regardless of other team's injuries.
:darkcloud:

"wrong" sox fan
08-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Truth be told, it is shocking that Boston is doing as well as they are...

Think about it, only 2 starters that were on their opening day rotation are still pitching, how many teams could deal with that and still be a contender...

No matter how the season ends, I'm proud of how they've gutted it threw and been one of the best teams in baseball.

Baby Fisk
08-02-2006, 01:17 PM
The Red Cubs will be in the thick of things right to the end, as will Chicago, New York, Minny, Oakland and L.A. No team is going to tear away to the finish, and Detroit will go cold any minute now...

Fenway
08-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Truth be told, it is shocking that Boston is doing as well as they are...

Think about it, only 2 starters that were on their opening day rotation are still pitching, how many teams could deal with that and still be a contender...

No matter how the season ends, I'm proud of how they've gutted it threw and been one of the best teams in baseball.

Future is indeed bright as they have been holding on to their prospects. As the payroll lowers with the home grown kids coming up it will give them the extra money to spend when they have to.

But you have to give credit to New York as they have toughed it out.

"wrong" sox fan
08-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Future is indeed bright as they have been holding on to their prospects. As the payroll lowers with the home grown kids coming up it will give them the extra money to spend when they have to.

But you have to give credit to New York as they have toughed it out.

heck yeah, NY has been doing great in the face of injuries as well, sorry to say.

I like the 120 million dollar player developing machine very much thus far:

Lester looks as if he could become a darn good number 2-3
Hansen has the stuff to become a reilef ace
MDC looks as if he could be a good arm out of the pen
Papelbon does not look human
Youks is a darn good lead off man and actually pretty good at first.
Lowrie, Soto, Pedrioa, Moss all look as if they could be useful MLB players.

and we have the cash to keep the players as they mature as well as plug the holes as they are needed.

Deebs14
08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I wonder what would have happened if this occurred last week instead of this week. (before the trade deadline)

I'm glad this happened because now maybe they'll fall out and that means one less team competing for a wild card slot.

If this occured before the deadline then you would've heard how they were interested in trading for every catcher in the league not named Posada. :rolleyes:

"wrong" sox fan
08-02-2006, 01:59 PM
If this occured before the deadline then you would've heard how they were interested in trading for every catcher in the league not named Posada. :rolleyes:

Boston may have gone after a fringe starter before the deadline but the Red Sox FO is just too smart to do something stupid and pick up a name catcher who would cost them a ton.

Look at it this way, for the past month Boston's starting five have been

Schilling
Beckett
Lester
TBA
TBA

You don't think Theo and company really wanted another starter? But instead of making a bad trade (though they were in on the Clemens sweepstakes) they held off. Sure they would have made a deal if it made sense but this front office (much like Ken William's office) does not make panic moves that could hurt the team in the future for little production now.

Fenway
08-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Look at it this way, for the past month Boston's starting five have been

Schilling
Beckett
Lester
TBA
TBA

Rumor has it they may try Wally :tongue:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:GJh4nau7V_CfTM:www.bostonbaseball.com/monster/photos/monster_wally.jpg

looks a little like David Wells :rolleyes:

"wrong" sox fan
08-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Right about now I'd settle for John Burkett. See if we could coax him out of bowling.

GoSox2K3
08-02-2006, 07:03 PM

I definitely like them winning back-to-back series, but I'm holding off on declaring the White Sox slump over until we play some non-sucky teams. The real test begins Friday in Toronto.

caulfield12
08-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Supposedly, the Red Sox were really close to getting Kip Wells, who pitched well today for the Rangers. They actually had a jersey ready to go with his name and number sewed on it even.

If Cleveland had a bullpen, the Red Sox might have been swept this series.

Mr. White Sox
08-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Supposedly, the Red Sox were really close to getting Kip Wells, who pitched well today for the Rangers. They actually had a jersey ready to go with his name and number sewed on it even.

I'm in the minority here (obviously), but Carmona got jobbed. Plenty of close pitches to Mirabelli and Puke, all called balls.

In the words of G.O.B., "COME ON!"

Fenway
08-03-2006, 08:40 AM

Boston can't keep living on the edge.....but the schedule favors Boston the next 2 weeks

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=151220

For now, know this: As constituted, the Red Sox are good enough to win into the middle of this month. After the Indians leave town following tonightís series finale, the Sox will face, in order, Tampa Bay, Kansas City and Baltimore. The Sox are 19-7 against those clubs - isnít everybody? - and 29-33 against the rest of the American League, and now, especially, is the time to kick the weaklings when they are down.

Thome25
08-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Don't count out the Wrong Sawx. As long as they have Schilling, Beckett, Pig Papi, and The Predator AKA Manny Ramirez they'll continue to be a thorn in our sides.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_120903.jpg = http://www.scifimoviepage.com/images/predator.jpg

Look alikes. Bet you didn't know the predator played for the Wrong Sawx?

Baby Fisk
08-03-2006, 09:08 AM
I definitely like them winning back-to-back series, but I'm holding off on declaring the White Sox slump over until we play some non-sucky teams. The real test begins Friday in Toronto.
The Black Jays are in a tailspin right now, with the feeling that they are falling out of contention cementing itself. They have gone 2-7 on their current road trip. Now is a great time for the Sox to roll into Toronto.

"wrong" sox fan
08-03-2006, 09:24 AM
what is with all the nick names?

Black Jays (how does this even make sense)
Pig Papi (is this clever?)
Red Cubs (what do the Red Sox have to do wiht the cubs)
wrong sox (I can understand this a bit)

Can't people talk about baseball with out calling the other teams names? Must we all act like 12 year olds?

Fenway
08-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Red Cubs (what do the Red Sox have to do wiht the cubs)
wrong sox (I can understand this a bit)

Based in part that both teams have old parks that have become bigger than the game itself.

Then last night the Red Sox trotted out this clown to throw out the first pitch

Belushi, who grudgingly left his beach on Marthaís Vineyard to come to Boston to flog his sitcomís syndicated start on the CW this fall, tossed out the first pitch last night at the Sox-Indians tilt.

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=151184

But the Red Sox have fielded good clubs for the better part of 40 years while the Cubs usually go nowhere.

Fenway
08-04-2006, 08:43 AM
When you lose because Shin-Soo Choo hit a grand slam your ship is taking on water.

Shin-Soo Choo?

MarySwiss
08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
When you lose because Shin-Soo Choo hit a grand slam your ship is taking on water.

Shin-Soo Choo?
Only last week I was picking on my Indians fan friend about this guy.

Shin-Soo Choo
Who knew? :D:

Flight #24
08-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Based in part that both teams have old parks that have become bigger than the game itself.

Also the fact that both have fan bases that seem to believe in the hooey that is curses.

Fenway
08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Also the fact that both have fan bases that seem to believe in the hooey that is curses.

I hate to admit it but I visited the Babe's grave in Westchester before going to a playoff game at the Stadium. Red Sox fans used to go there by the busload to plead with the Bambino.

Babe has a lot of famous company with him at Gate of Heaven Cemetery. It maybe the only cemetery with a commuter train station on Metro North.

http://www.findagrave.com/php/famous.php?page=cem&FScemeteryid=64622

Paulwny
08-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Damn, the yankmee pick-ups looked good yesterday, :angry:
Abreu--3 for 5 -- 2 runs scored
Wilson-- 1 for 4 --2 RBI's
Lidle--- 6IP--4 hits--1 ER-- 5 K's

Flight #24
08-04-2006, 10:18 AM

Yanks win the ALE. Sox & Sox & Twins will be fighting for the WC (& for the Sox - the ALC title).

Javy Lopez will help some, but I'm not sure the BloSawx have the team to stick around the race. What does help them is that while Varitek's out, IIRC they have the easier part of the schedule. But His absence is likely IMP to be felt longer than projected since Catching + bad knee = :whiner: .

Fenway
08-04-2006, 11:02 AM

disgusting isn't it
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/440690p-371230c.html

Foulke You
08-04-2006, 11:19 AM
And that is about where the similarity ends. I've been to Fenway 9 times in different years to see the White Sox play there and take my word for it, they aren't like Cub fans. See, they do this weird thing in Fenway that they don't do at Wrigley, they WATCH the games and actually know their team.

Fenway
08-04-2006, 11:26 AM
And that is about where the similarity ends. I've been to Fenway 9 times in different years to see the White Sox play there and take my word for it, they aren't like Cub fans. See, they do this weird thing in Fenway that they don't do at Wrigley, they WATCH the games and actually know their team.

and sing "Sweet Caroline" :smile:

Seriously I can not think of any region in the country as baseball mad as New England. It isn't just the Red Sox, every minor league team is doing well and the Cape Cod League packs them in as well. It also carries into Yankees land in upstate New York. People just love the game in the Northeast at every level. I rate Chicagoland a close second.

Football is an afterthought here.

whitesoxwilkes
08-04-2006, 11:32 AM
what is with all the nick names?

Black Jays (how does this even make sense)

Toronto's own Baby Fisk started calling them the Black Jays when they switched their unis from blue to black a couple years ago.

Fenway
08-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Boston's season is saved

PAWTUCKET, R.I. -- Keith Foulke might be listening to a CD of Wilbert Harrison's recording of "Going to Kansas City."
After Thursday night's rehab start for the Pawtucket Red Sox, the Boston reliever indicated he'll make another rehab start Saturday night at McCoy Stadium and then join the big-league club on Tuesday in Kansas City.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060803&content_id=1591798&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Clement has been shut down until September and it is assumed he is done for the year. Well we have Jason Johnson