PDA

View Full Version : The Cell VS Camden Yards.

Thome25
08-02-2006, 06:43 AM
I went to my first game in the ballpark everyone loves known as Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I went in fully expecting to see the Taj Mahal with the way fans and critics alike rave about the place. I must say that I was disappointed and I really didn't like the place. That's right, I said it. I really didn't like it.

I know that even with all of it's vast number of improvements, The Cell still takes it's fair share of heat from so-called critics and "mediots" as well. Having gone to both ballparks, I'm here to tell you that I think The Cell is a better ballpark to watch a game at.

I'm not just saying that because I'm a die-White Sox fan either. This is just my honest opinion. I think this is something to be proud of. The Cell is an overall great place to watch a ballgame. I have over 10 reasons why I think The Cell is a better ballpark than Camden Yards.

This is for those of you who asked for a comparison of the two ballparks in other threads:

1.) Ballpark Shape- I thought that Camden Yards was too awkward and lopsided.

2.) Ballpark Size- Camden Yards was just too monstrous for my liking. Looking at the outside, The seating around the ballpark, and the area around the warehouse and it was just too massive for a ballpark. I like them nice and cozy like The Cell.

3.) Main Concourse- The main concourse at Camden yards was blocked off from the field of play and you couldn't see the action on the field like at The Cell.

4.) Scoreboards- The layout of the one in RF was just a joke. It takes up too big a section of the field and leaves virtually no seating in that area. At the one in CF, the scoreboard was sitting on top of the video board which gave me a headache to look at. And of course, neither of them exploded.:D:

5.) Accessability- Walking around Camden Yards was like trying to navigate through a maze. Example: I was walking on the RF concourse and I was trying to go through to CF when I hit a "dead end."

6.) Cleanliness- Camden Yards struck me as a dirty ballpark. The Railings, Seats, and the floors in the aisles and main concourse were filthy.

7.) Bullpens- You could hardly see into the bullpens at Camden Yards. I didn't know who was warming up and who wasn't. I like the bullpens in-your-face like at The Cell.

8.) Beauty- OK I'll admit that Camden Yards has The Cell beat when it comes to all of the brickwork and the view of downtown Baltimore. But, The Cell has Camden Yards beat when it comes to The scoreboards, (nothing beats the pinwheels.) The roofwork covering the upperdeck is better looking at The Cell, and the historical decorations at The Cell are better. ( The Retired numbers on the outfield wall, the statues on the CF concourse, the S-O-X logos on the ends of the new greens seats, etc.) Also, The fudamentals deck is better than the deck they have in LF in Baltimore.

9.) Sight Lines- Nothing beats the sight lines at The Cell. I had great seats (sec. 56 row FF.) in Baltimore, but there were a few times I lost the ball and couldn't see the action that I would've been able to see at The Cell.

10.) Food- 'Nuff said. Everyone knows about the food at The Cell. And that doesn't include the awesome food cookin' in the parking lots. The hot dogs sucked at Camden Yards too.

11.) Player Introductions- Nothing beats Gene Honda when he introduces Sox players. When introducing the Orioles, the guy in Baltimore sounded like he was about to fall asleep. Honda introduces the OPPOSING teams players at The Cell better than the person in Baltimore introduces ORIOLES players.

So what do you guys think? I know alot of you have been there and I want to hear your opinions on the comparison. I also want to hear the opinion of those of you who haven't been to Baltimore as well.

whitesoxwilkes
08-02-2006, 06:54 AM
All very valid points, but number 2 has me confused. The footprint of Camden Yards is one of the smallest in baseball.

You're right about the food...Esskay franks have nothing on Best's Kosher. Boog's BBQ stand in RF is pretty freakin awesome though.

I hate the entrances there. They're too narrow, and you have like 3 or 4 sections per tunnel.

Thome25
08-02-2006, 06:59 AM
All very valid points, but number 2 has me confused. The footprint of Camden Yards is one of the smallest in baseball.

You're right about the food...Esskay franks have nothing on Best's Kosher. Boog's BBQ stand in RF is pretty freakin awesome though.

I hate the entrances there. They're too narrow, and you have like 3 or 4 sections per tunnel.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about the playing field itself in number 2. The seating area seemed too massive and the outside of the ballpark including the warehouse area was to huge if you ask me.

Maybe it wasn't actually that big but to me, it seemed that way.

hold2dibber
08-02-2006, 07:16 AM
I too think Camden is overrated. I liked it, but think Miller and PNC both are better (I can't rationally compare the Cell to other ballparks because I am so biased, so I don't even try).

jenn2080
08-02-2006, 07:42 AM
I too think Camden is overrated. I liked it, but think Miller and PNC both are better (I can't rationally compare the Cell to other ballparks because I am so biased, so I don't even try).

I actually didnt like Miller Park that much. I mean it was nice but I am not a big fan of the indoor park sceen, had there been no roof it may have been one thing but the roof thing really throws a wrench in things

I can say that my fav park by far that I have been to so far was Petco.
Fenway would be a solid 2nd for obvious reasons. And dont start on that place is a dump blah blah blah. HISTORY focus! I loved Fenway. I wouldnt put the Cell #1 just because I am Sox fan. I love that park ALOT but it is not my #1. Def top 3.

Yankee stadium I could live without. It was an ok stadium. I loved the energy there. Those Yankee fans know how to get down.

Bank One or whatever it is called now :puking: It is a baseball game not an amusement park keep the pool for the subdivisions

Angels Stadium Im a big fan of ...Good concourse Good fans....Very nice park all around. That was the first stadium I went to other then the Chicago ones

Petco is great. Gorgeous Park

Jacobs Field is awesome. Liked it ALOT. Too bad the fans are *******s. This Park is probably 3rd on my list

GABP - Very nice a bit plain but nice. I would def go back.

batmanZoSo
08-02-2006, 08:24 AM
I went to my first game in the ballpark everyone loves known as Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I went in fully expecting to see the Taj Mahal with the way fans and critics alike rave about the place. I must say that I was disappointed and I really didn't like the place. That's right, I said it. I really didn't like it.

I know that even with all of it's vast number of improvements, The Cell still takes it's fair share of heat from so-called critics and "mediots" as well. Having gone to both ballparks, I'm here to tell you that I think The Cell is a better ballpark to watch a game at.

I'm not just saying that because I'm a die-White Sox fan either. This is just my honest opinion. I think this is something to be proud of. The Cell is an overall great place to watch a ballgame. I have over 10 reasons why I think The Cell is a better ballpark than Camden Yards.

This is for those of you who asked for a comparison of the two ballparks in other threads:

1.) Ballpark Shape- I thought that Camden Yards was too awkward and lopsided.

2.) Ballpark Size- Camden Yards was just too monstrous for my liking. Looking at the outside, The seating around the ballpark, and the area around the warehouse and it was just too massive for a ballpark. I like them nice and cozy like The Cell.

3.) Main Concourse- The main concourse at Camden yards was blocked off from the field of play and you couldn't see the action on the field like at The Cell.

4.) Scoreboards- The layout of the one in RF was just a joke. It takes up too big a section of the field and leaves virtually no seating in that area. At the one in CF, the scoreboard was sitting on top of the video board which gave me a headache to look at. And of course, neither of them exploded.:D:

5.) Accessability- Walking around Camden Yards was like trying to navigate through a maze. Example: I was walking on the RF concourse and I was trying to go through to CF when I hit a "dead end."

6.) Cleanliness- Camden Yards struck me as a dirty ballpark. The Railings, Seats, and the floors in the aisles and main concourse were filthy.

7.) Bullpens- You could hardly see into the bullpens at Camden Yards. I didn't know who was warming up and who wasn't. I like the bullpens in-your-face like at The Cell.

8.) Beauty- OK I'll admit that Camden Yards has The Cell beat when it comes to all of the brickwork and the view of downtown Baltimore. But, The Cell has Camden Yards beat when it comes to The scoreboards, (nothing beats the pinwheels.) The roofwork covering the upperdeck is better looking at The Cell, and the historical decorations at The Cell are better. ( The Retired numbers on the outfield wall, the statues on the CF concourse, the S-O-X logos on the ends of the new greens seats, etc.) Also, The fudamentals deck is better than the deck they have in LF in Baltimore.

9.) Sight Lines- Nothing beats the sight lines at The Cell. I had great seats (sec. 56 row FF.) in Baltimore, but there were a few times I lost the ball and couldn't see the action that I would've been able to see at The Cell.

10.) Food- 'Nuff said. Everyone knows about the food at The Cell. And that doesn't include the awesome food cookin' in the parking lots. The hot dogs sucked at Camden Yards too.

11.) Player Introductions- Nothing beats Gene Honda when he introduces Sox players. When introducing the Orioles, the guy in Baltimore sounded like he was about to fall asleep. Honda introduces the OPPOSING teams players at The Cell better than the person in Baltimore introduces ORIOLES players.

So what do you guys think? I know alot of you have been there and I want to hear your opinions on the comparison. I also want to hear the opinion of those of you who haven't been to Baltimore as well.

Camden is one of those unecessarily quirky ballparks that everybody loves. They pushed right field up against the street so the outfield could be lopsided. And that's why you have no seating in right and about 8 miles of seating in left. Looks nice, yes, but there must be a lot of bad seats there as a result.

DumpJerry
08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
There were some things I like about Camden over Comiskey. However, I think on balance, Comiskey tops out.

Camden pluses over Comiskey:
It has a more intimate feel, kinda like Wrigley (*Dumpjerry ducks*).
Eutaw Street is pretty cool.
The seats are angled towards Home.
The outfield walls are right up against the field so we can talk with the players during BP (Thome chatted it up with some of us on Friday).

Comiskey pluses over Camden:
Scoreboard. All of them and every aspect of them.
Food selection.
Concourse view to the field.
Bullpen visibility.
Tailgating (did not drive in Baltimore, but it did not seem like they have it).
More Sox fans.
More Sox games.
Fewer Yankee and Red Sox fans (what were they all doing at the Sox/Orioles' games this weekend anyway?????).

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Camden is one of those unecessarily quirky ballparks that everybody loves. They pushed right field up against the street so the outfield could be lopsided. And that's why you have no seating in right and about 8 miles of seating in left. Looks nice, yes, but there must be a lot of bad seats there as a result.

Camden was compared directly against Comiskey II - of course it was gonna be better. With all the work done to the Cell, it definitely has increased its overall value regarding a baseball experience.

When I was at the GB on Saturday and walking through the conference center, there was a pic of Ozzie holding the AL West flag from 93 to be hung in the outfield. Behind him was the old white concourse with those PT Barnum looking awnings over the concessions. Was weird, to say the least...

roylestillman
08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
There were some things I like about Camden over Comiskey. However, I think on balance, Comiskey tops out.

Camden pluses over Comiskey:
It has a more intimate feel, kinda like Wrigley (*Dumpjerry ducks*).
Eutaw Street is pretty cool.
The seats are angled towards Home.
The outfield walls are right up against the field so we can talk with the players during BP (Thome chatted it up with some of us on Friday).

Comiskey pluses over Camden:
Scoreboard. All of them and every aspect of them.
Food selection.
Concourse view to the field.
Bullpen visibility.
Tailgating (did not drive in Baltimore, but it did not seem like they have it).
More Sox fans.
More Sox games.
Fewer Yankee and Red Sox fans (what were they all doing at the Sox/Orioles' games this weekend anyway?????).

Some additions/disagreements:

Camden over USCF

Escalators that actually GO DOWN! (why can't we find that button)
The above or stairs instead of our eternal ramps to exit.
On the usual ballpark food: advantage USCF. But if there's a heaven, Boog better be doing the cooking.
Its Club Level (200 level) has more rows, so you feel like you're in the ballpark.The 200 level concourse is spectacular.
The seats are huge.

USCF over Camden

The playing field. I hate quirky.
The area south of the stadiums is scarier than anything in Chicago. I walked from my Hotel (Holiday Inn Express on Russell - the one with the squeegee guy in front) and felt like the Apocalypse had occurred.

Medford Bobby
08-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Maybe being the first park in the retro movement will pay the price of not seeing what refinements along the way have made newer parks like Pittburgh "right on" for this style of park. Camden may seem dated for later 21st Century fans...while the Cell can be tweeked along the way.

DumpJerry
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Some additions/disagreements:

Camden over USCF

Escalators that actually GO DOWN! (why can't we find that button)
The above or stairs instead of our eternal ramps to exit.
On the usual ballpark food: advantage USCF. But if there's a heaven, Boog better be doing the cooking.
Its Club Level (200 level) has more rows, so you feel like you're in the ballpark.The 200 level concourse is spectacular.
The seats are huge.

USCF over Camden

The playing field. I hate quirky.
The area south of the stadiums is scarier than anything in Chicago. I walked from my Hotel (Holiday Inn Express on Russell - the one with the squeegee guy in front) and felt like the Apocalypse had occurred.
You were at the same hotel my friends and I were at! We probably saw each other (are you Russ?). We took the cab to and from the park. We sat on the 200 level for Friday's game and it did feel more like a park than the 300 at Comiskey (we were in 260 near the site of Gload's Granny). Escaltors going down is a safety issue. Many more people using them after a game than before the game and if some drunk jerk pushes.....................

BTW, while I did not get a chance to try Boog's BBQ, it must be good judging from his girth. I thought he was Norm from Cheers when he threw out the first pitch on Friday.

Thome25
08-02-2006, 10:21 AM
I also don't like the huge batter's eye in CF at parks like PNC in Pittsburgh and Camden Yards in Baltimore.

I think a prime piece of real estate such as CF should be reserved for some kind of fan seating not someting so ugly and useless.

That's why I think the Sox did a great job by putting the fan deck in CF as USCF. It gives the fans a beautiful panoramic view of the field.

"wrong" sox fan
08-02-2006, 01:25 PM
I've never been to the cell and I have been to camden.

/without camden yards parks today would look so different. They were the first to make a new old ball park. It's a wonderful place to watch a game and is prob the most important ball park in the past 50 years.

It started the craze of building new old style parks instead of the clone 70 parks. Some of the parks to come from it since are better, but they would never have been what they are with out Camden Yards.

It's the only thing Baltimore has done right since 1983

batmanZoSo
08-02-2006, 01:50 PM
I've never been to the cell and I have been to camden.

/without camden yards parks today would look so different. They were the first to make a new old ball park. It's a wonderful place to watch a game and is prob the most important ball park in the past 50 years.

It started the craze of building new old style parks instead of the clone 70 parks. Some of the parks to come from it since are better, but they would never have been what they are with out Camden Yards.

It's the only thing Baltimore has done right since 1983

And we were supposed to get it but Jerry opted for a modern design. Or so the legend goes. Of course it wouldn't be as nice if placed where the Cell is. The warehouse and downtown view are really the icing on the cake. It doesn't work in Bridgeport. Some place in the south loop would be ultimate.

Just by looking at it, I would definitely take Camden over ours I mean it is a beautiful park and whatever minor amenities our park has over it--to me--doesn't make up for such superior aesthetics. I do love our ballpark because all things considered I doubt you could create a more overall convenient and comfortable place to go to and watch a game. Parking is right there, it's right off the expressway, the open-view concourse that 9 out of 10 ballparks don't have, the food. The upper deck is no longer a problem. The only thing they need to do is remove the billboards, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Xx i am error xX
08-02-2006, 01:51 PM
If you think the food is bad at OPACY, next time you go take the time to wait in the mile long line for Boog's Barbecue. There's that many people in line for a reason.

DumpJerry
08-02-2006, 03:12 PM
I forgot to mention that the exterior of Camden is much nicer than Comiskey. The landscapping and red brick add a nice retro touch to it all.

Comiskey still wins because of concourse views, scoreboard and food. Of course, food is not part of the architect's plan, but I'm talking about the overall experience.

Scottzilla
08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Not having been around at the time, I can only guess that all the parks in the 70's were hailed as cutting edge, and the first one of the group was the big trendsetter.
I tend to think that 30 years from now camden will be looked at as cheesey and too 'retro'.
USCF would get a c grade from me. I think the asthetics are not great but not horrible. I think USCF was designed from the standpoint of getting the best views of the field from each seat. not the best views from the parking lots.

miker
08-02-2006, 04:41 PM
I too was not as excitied over Camden Yards as the rest of the world seems to be, although the only reason I can say I like U.S. Cellular Field more is because of the team that calls it home!

As for the new wave of "retro" ballparks, my favorite is Coors in Denver...but that may have more to do with being in Colorado than anything else.

Hokiesox
08-02-2006, 06:50 PM

So what do you guys think?

Have you seen the Orioles lately? That guy has been introducing them that way for a long time. Very few people are there to see the Orioles play, and those that are know what they're going to see. This town has never been all that excited about baseball ever since the Ravens showed up. I'd say baltimore is a football city now, and not much else.

Hokiesox
08-02-2006, 06:53 PM
If you think the food is bad at OPACY, next time you go take the time to wait in the mile long line for Boog's Barbecue. There's that many people in line for a reason.

I always get boogs when I go. everyone should get boogs.

BTW, I will be attending my first game at the cell since 1993 on August 14. Going with a friend who has club level seats on 1st base side. Don't know much else. I hope I like it.

GoSox2K3
08-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I always get boogs when I go. everyone should get boogs.

BTW, I will be attending my first game at the cell since 1993 on August 14. Going with a friend who has club level seats on 1st base side. Don't know much else. I hope I like it.

You definitely have to report back to us on your reaction to the improvements they have made to the park since 1993.

hula
08-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Interesting topic.... I was in Baltimore last November and went to Camden to take the tour of the ballpark. They have it year round and even on game days up until a game starts, btw. No reservations needed and you don't have to be part of a group, you just show up. (Sox front office, please take note of this.)

Anyway, I've haven't been to a game there yet, but after taking the tour and learning some pretty amazing things about not only the history, but the construction (amazing how quickly the field and warning track can drain upteen gallons of water - something like 20 minutes), I really have wanted to. Interesting points have been made here that I'll look for when I finally do some day (only to see the White Sox there, of course!).

In regards to the Cell, last April was the first time I'd been since it was put up. I thought it looked horrible when they were building it and it made the whole reality of Comiskey nearing demolition even harder to swallow, so I really hadn't wanted to go, and no longer living in Chicago made it easy. I must admit upon finally going to a game there, it looks better on the outside since they made changes from the orignal appearance, and the inside is very fan friendly too. The food, honestly, could be better with a broader selection. While the Elotes are unique, when I had them for the 1st time on a recent visit the corn was tough. Come on - Midwest corn is the best around!

I've been to Wrigley (was forced) and hated it, and the UD stairs are ridiculously steep, although the Cell's are kind of dizzying. The Bob in AZ, while having a pool is a pretty bizarre idea, yes, it has a very nice walk through Cooperstown-esque type museum that even had some Sox stuff there (Aparicio's jersey, for one thing). Camden similarly has their Orioles museum, although outside of the stadium. It adds to the experience and gives fans more to do before and after a game (not that tailgating isn't enough...). At any rate, it adds to revitalizing an area.

I live in Durham, NC (the same architect who did Camden designed the new Bulls stadium around 10 years ago) and the area next to the park are now following suit with a revamped warehouse offering activities/shops/restaurants that fans frequent. The surrounding area of the Cell could really benefit in a similar fashion.

Well, thems my 2 cents.....

paciorek1983
08-03-2006, 07:48 PM
!).

!

Camden similarly has their Orioles museum, although outside of the stadium. It adds to the experience and gives fans more to do before and after a game (not that tailgating isn't enough...). At any rate, it adds to revitalizing an area.

I live in Durham, NC (the same architect who did Camden designed the new Bulls stadium around 10 years ago) and the area next to the park are now following suit with a revamped warehouse offering activities/shops/restaurants that fans frequent. The surrounding area of the Cell could really benefit in a similar fashion.

Well, thems my 2 cents.....

I just wonder how much longer it's going to take before some other shops/restaurants/etc start popping up closer to USCF. I know there are some places on Halsted and Jimbo's of course, but there needs to be places a little more in view near the park/from the parking lots.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-03-2006, 08:13 PM
I've been to Camden Yards several times, though not recently. To me, there is just no comparison between a ballpark with a concourse and one without. Having to go down into the caverns beneath the stands to get food or use the facilities reminds me why I love the Cell. Being able to walk around the ballpark (esp. if with kids) and just step over to see what is happening beats the hell out of missing it all while down in the bowels of the building.

The park in San Fransisco has one too and of course the setting there is spectacular.

The fake nostalgia ballparks typically replaced dumps that everyone hated. Old Comiskey was real nostalgia. No point replacing real with fake.

TheKittle
08-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Have you seen the Orioles lately? That guy has been introducing them that way for a long time. Very few people are there to see the Orioles play, and those that are know what they're going to see. This town has never been all that excited about baseball ever since the Ravens showed up. I'd say baltimore is a football city now, and not much else.

While Baltimore has always been a football city, as seen by the passionate fans of the Baltimore Colts, it took awhile for Baltimore to warm up to the Ravens.

Part of it had to do with the Orioles still being a good team, playoff teams in 96 and 97, when the Ravens arrived. Another part had to do with the Ravens been a terrible team when they first arrived. Until the Ravens started to win and playing in their new stadium, did Baltimore warm up to the Ravens.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Interesting that you want to hear the opinion of those of us who have not been to Oriole Park, because since I haven't been there, I have no opinion.

batmanZoSo
08-04-2006, 08:50 AM
The fake nostalgia ballparks typically replaced dumps that everyone hated. Old Comiskey was real nostalgia. No point replacing real with fake.

That's a good point.

The White Sox franchise has a long tradition of being progressive and modern. Starting with the huge scoreboard, the fireworks, then all the shameless uniform changes and innovations (first team to use names), installing an astro turf infield (which is admittedly absurd, but thinking out of the box at least :wink:) and that tradition was maintained when they built a no-frills modern park that caters to the fans and not to little quirks in the outfield fences. The Cell couldn't be more perfect for the White Sox and their fans. Those other hoity-toity ass parks say "look at me and love me," while ours just says, "What are you looking at? Watch the game!" And that's the way it should be. :nod:

Mr.1Dog
08-04-2006, 09:03 AM
The Cell couldn't be more perfect for the White Sox and their fans. Those other hoity-toity ass parks say "look at me and love me," while ours just says, "What are you looking at? Watch the game!" And that's the way it should be. :nod:

:thumbsup: Perfect. And that's what it should be about.

Hitmen77
08-04-2006, 09:10 AM
In regards to the Cell, last April was the first time I'd been since it was put up. I thought it looked horrible when they were building it and it made the whole reality of Comiskey nearing demolition even harder to swallow, so I really hadn't wanted to go, and no longer living in Chicago made it easy. I must admit upon finally going to a game there, it looks better on the outside since they made changes from the orignal appearance, and the inside is very fan friendly too. The food, honestly, could be better with a broader selection. While the Elotes are unique, when I had them for the 1st time on a recent visit the corn was tough. Come on - Midwest corn is the best around!

I think the Cell is great, but I agree about the food. It's good, but could be better. If you're comparing it to Wrigley, the the food at the Cell (on a scale from 1-10) rates an 11. But, I've seen better quality and selection at places like Seattle and Arizona.

bigsqwert
08-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I actually didnt like Miller Park that much. I mean it was nice but I am not a big fan of the indoor park sceen, had there been no roof it may have been one thing but the roof thing really throws a wrench in things

I can say that my fav park by far that I have been to so far was Petco.
Fenway would be a solid 2nd for obvious reasons. And dont start on that place is a dump blah blah blah. HISTORY focus! I loved Fenway. I wouldnt put the Cell #1 just because I am Sox fan. I love that park ALOT but it is not my #1. Def top 3.

Yankee stadium I could live without. It was an ok stadium. I loved the energy there. Those Yankee fans know how to get down.

Bank One or whatever it is called now :puking: It is a baseball game not an amusement park keep the pool for the subdivisions

Angels Stadium Im a big fan of ...Good concourse Good fans....Very nice park all around. That was the first stadium I went to other then the Chicago ones

Petco is great. Gorgeous Park

Jacobs Field is awesome. Liked it ALOT. Too bad the fans are *******s. This Park is probably 3rd on my list

GABP - Very nice a bit plain but nice. I would def go back.

So Petco 1st, Fenway 2nd and the Jake 3rd....and you have the Cell in the top 3? :tongue:

Scottzilla
08-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I just wonder how much longer it's going to take before some other shops/restaurants/etc start popping up closer to USCF. I know there are some places on Halsted and Jimbo's of course, but there needs to be places a little more in view near the park/from the parking lots.

there is no place to put anything. train to the west expressway to the east park to the north and to the south is really behind the stadium. you really want to give up the parking for a macdonalds across the street and a lame fratboy bar maybe some cheesey souvenir stores. sound familiar?

bigsqwert
08-04-2006, 03:24 PM
there is no place to put anything. train to the west expressway to the east park to the north and to the south is really behind the stadium. you really want to give up the parking for a macdonalds across the street and a lame fratboy bar maybe some cheesey souvenir stores. sound familiar?Why do people get riled up when someone suggests that it wouldn't be a bad idea to spruce up the immediate surroundings with some fan friendly places? I travel a lot for work and check out other ballparks and just love it when there are fun things to do surrounding the ballpark. I still love going to USCF but I don't think it would be a negative to have a few before and after game spots to hang out without having to walk 12 blocks through a residential neighborhood.

paciorek1983
08-04-2006, 06:22 PM
there is no place to put anything. train to the west expressway to the east park to the north and to the south is really behind the stadium. you really want to give up the parking for a macdonalds across the street and a lame fratboy bar maybe some cheesey souvenir stores. sound familiar?

Um in a way---yes I do.

Going to a ballgame is an entertainment experience, and the more entertainment that is involved, is going to broaden a fanbase. And of course someoine is going to say" duh, but winning is what will bring 'em in". Well, unfortunately noone can guarantee a winning product on the field, but a good entertainment value can be a consistent entity.

There's nothing wrong with having a few shops/restaurants and such around the ballpark that can add value to the "going to a game" experience.

Of course, I don't want a bunch of mindless lemmings ruining the whole thing like I think you're suggesting would happpen if shops/etc were added.

Have you read on here the outcry from the "I wish McCuddy's was still around" crowd? (Even though from the pics it looked like a dump.) What does that tell you?

Why do people get riled up when someone suggests that it wouldn't be a bad idea to spruce up the immediate surroundings with some fan friendly places? I travel a lot for work and check out other ballparks and just love it when there are fun things to do surrounding the ballpark. I still love going to USCF but I don't think it would be a negative to have a few before and after game spots to hang out without having to walk 12 blocks through a residential neighborhood

Yes, this guy here has got it right. What in the **** is wrong with that? Nothing.

Don't let foolish pride of thinking that having a few bars and such is somehow "Wriglifying" the area around the ballpark and that we shouldn't have it. If the north side neighborhood has done anything right, it is providing an entertaining "going to the game experience". Not that I need all that crap that goes on up there, but it still would be nice to have a place or two to go before and after the game. You can't deny that.

If it wasn't successful, noone would be trying to copy it, and I have no problem with that. It's unfortunate that there "real fans" have to suffer that their organization is not serious about putting a contender on the field.

ps. I don't consider a McDonald's a restaurant that I would want around the neighborhood. A Friday's or a Shoeless Joe's south would suffice.:smile:

Scottzilla
08-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Why do people get riled up when someone suggests that it wouldn't be a bad idea to spruce up the immediate surroundings with some fan friendly places? I travel a lot for work and check out other ballparks and just love it when there are fun things to do surrounding the ballpark. I still love going to USCF but I don't think it would be a negative to have a few before and after game spots to hang out without having to walk 12 blocks through a residential neighborhood.

what bugs me is that people say they hate wrigleyville but then want to turn the area around USCF into wrigleyville south.

also like I said before. uscf is cut off from the surrounding neighborhood. in a way this is a good thing because you dont have residents moving right across the street and complaining about too many night games.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-04-2006, 06:43 PM
The Cell couldn't be more perfect for the White Sox and their fans. Those other hoity-toity ass parks say "look at me and love me," while ours just says, "What are you looking at? Watch the game!" And that's the way it should be. :nod:

:thumbsup:

I should put this in a sig, but I don't use one, so maybe I will have a t-shirt made with this on it -- in any event I plan to quote you in all future ballpark discussions (about them, I mean, not at them) -- with proper acknowledgement, of course.

No royalties, though.:tongue: