PDA

View Full Version : Hbp

LITTLE NELL
08-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Is it my immagination or do the Sox lead the league in getting hit by pitches. It is time for major retaliation. I dont blame Ozzie for his ranting to Tracy and Garland.

NDSox12
08-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Is it my immagination or do the Sox lead the league in getting hit by pitches. It is time for major retaliation. I dont blame Ozzie for his ranting to Tracy and Garland.

Give me a break.... first of all, it is your immagination. The Sox rank 16th in MLB (7th in AL) in getting hit by pitches. Obviously, retaliation is necessary when intent is involved, but that is very rarely the case. Take last night for example... Konerko got hit with two strikes on him. Clearly, it was not on purpose. If we decide we need to retaliate no matter the situation, we'll have a lot of pitchers (and Ozzie) serving suspensions from here on out. I don't see how that helps anything.

whitesoxwin
08-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Give me a break.... first of all, it is your immagination. The Sox rank 16th in MLB (7th in AL) in getting hit by pitches. Obviously, retaliation is necessary when intent is involved, but that is very rarely the case. Take last night for example... Konerko got hit with two strikes on him. Clearly, it was not on purpose. If we decide we need to retaliate no matter the situation, we'll have a lot of pitchers (and Ozzie) serving suspensions from here on out. I don't see how that helps anything.

Agree.
There is a time for retaliation.
When there is an actual shot at a player...we will know it (there usually was an incident preceding the at-bat...either something on the field or the last at-bat).
One good scenario (which by the way, would have saved a bunch of B.S.) was A.J.'s first home run against the Cubs and Barrett's cheap shot.
If A.J. opened his mouth and said something to Barrett (either prior to the HR or after---not A.J.--right!) they could have retaliated at his next at bat.
There are only a handful of pitchers in MLB (no need to go into this, now) that intentionally nail players...unless this a retaliation...and no matter what is said: The Manager usually calls for "the hit".