PDA

View Full Version : Liriano scratched from tomorrow's start

Senerch23
08-01-2006, 08:48 PM
They are saying it is nothing to be alarmed about but yikes, if I'm a Twins fan I am alarmed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060801&content_id=1588125&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

havelj
08-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Yikes for them.

Elbow discomfort? Any Twin fan who doubles as a Cub fan is sure to be alarmed due to familiarity with pitching "precautions."

cheeses_h_rice
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Ruh roh.

:gulp:

zmz723
08-01-2006, 10:23 PM
twins board saying he may be out for the year :o: :o:

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-twins&msg=19551.1&ctx=0

SouthSide_HitMen
08-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - The playoff race is for three spots between four teams - Chicago, Boston, New York and Detroit.

Minnesota will not be within 5 games of the spot when all is said and done and I expect them to be 10 or more games out when the season ends (of both the Division and Wild Card).

samram
08-01-2006, 10:35 PM

What Cubs fans have to say on Twins' boards is hardly gospel truth.

Jjav829
08-01-2006, 10:39 PM

That's an MLB.com board and the poster saying it has the name "cubbieblue06." Not exactly a reliable source.

I'm sure the Twins are just being cautious, but this isn't a good sign. While the Johan comparisons are fairly accurate, the one big difference is Liriano's delivery is more violent than Johan's delivery.

zmz723
08-01-2006, 10:41 PM
What Cubs fans have to say on Twins' boards is hardly gospel truth.

ahhhh, I just looked more at that post. It is some :dtroll: trying to worry twins fans.

NDSox12
08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
ahhhh, I just looked more at that post. It is some :dtroll: trying to worry twins fans.

Obviously you are right, but a Cubs fan ought to know an arm injury when he/she sees one at this point. :smile:

soxfanreggie
08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Regardless of whether he's out for the season or not, something is wrong. He may not be used to the strains of an entire season, something that could happen (but could equally not happen) to the Tigers rotation as well.

caulfield12
08-01-2006, 10:52 PM
The irony is that he was injured when he was acquired in the original Giants' deal...

NoShoesJoe
08-01-2006, 10:53 PM
They're *hoping* he'll be able to pitch against DET next week. Uh oh!

StillMissOzzie
08-01-2006, 10:59 PM
They're *hoping* he'll be able to pitch against DET next week. Uh oh!

Is there anyone here who DOESN'T want to see Liriano start vs. the Tigers?

SMO
:?:

IlliniSox4Life
08-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Is there anyone here who DOESN'T want to see Liriano start vs. the Tigers?

SMO
:?:

If he's hurt, I'd rather someone else. I don't want to give Detroit 10 runs in the first inning.

dcb56
08-01-2006, 11:57 PM
If he's hurt, I'd rather someone else. I don't want to give Detroit 10 runs in the first inning.

Not only that but we get to witness the triumphant return of the legendary Boof Bonser!!!

I agree with Hitmen, the Twins are definite pretenders as it took an amazing run on their part just to get back into the Wild Card discussion. They really didn't do much to improve their hitting and that it will definitely catch up with them down the stretch. If Liriano is out for an extended period of time who knows, maybe Cleveland will catch them in the standings.

The bigger potential longterm injury situation IMO is the one to Varitek. BoSox could lose their everyday catcher for quite awhile with his bum knee and while his offense hasn't been up to par this year, he still one of the veteran leaders on that team and catches pretty much everyone except for Wakefield. Dunno how much it will ultimately hurt the Carmines but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up being the odd team out come October.

Jaffar
08-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Not only that but we get to witness the triumphant return of the legendary Boof Bonser!!!

I agree with Hitmen, the Twins are definite pretenders as it took an amazing run on their part just to get back into the Wild Card discussion. They really didn't do much to improve their hitting and that it will definitely catch up with them down the stretch. If Liriano is out for an extended period of time who knows, maybe Cleveland will catch them in the standings.

The bigger potential longterm injury situation IMO is the one to Varitek. BoSox could lose their everyday catcher for quite awhile with his bum knee and while his offense hasn't been up to par this year, he still one of the veteran leaders on that team and catches pretty much everyone except for Wakefield. Dunno how much it will ultimately hurt the Carmines but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up being the odd team out come October.

Don't forget that Trot Nixon went down also.

PatK
08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
They are saying that Varitek is going to be out 4-6 weeks.

soxfan13
08-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Not to wish injury on anyone but Twins losing Liriano would be a big help to the Sox.

BNLSox
08-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Not to wish injury on anyone but Twins losing Liriano would be a big help to the Sox.

Not as much as the Twins marching an injured starter out there every 5th day.

A lot of people around here predicted injuries/fatigue factors to kick in come August for these rookie studs (ie Verlander, Liriano)

The Immigrant
08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
They are saying that Varitek is going to be out 4-6 weeks.

Chris Widger, your table is ready.

hawkjt
08-02-2006, 10:52 AM
I heard Buster Olney say this morning that the twins are not worried and it is pure precautionary. Minor deal.

As for veritek- out 4-6 weeks- could be the rest of the season as a catcher has so much stress on knees.

Mirabelli is hitting about .200. Nixon is out. Wells sucks, Clement sucks.

I have said all along that the red sox are the vulnerable team in this race. I like the angels,yanks,tigers and white sox in the playoffs with the sox facing the yanks in the ALDS. Could easily be a repeat of White Sox vs Angels in the ALCS. I could live with that.

MarySwiss
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I heard Buster Olney say this morning that the twins are not worried and it is pure precautionary. Minor deal.

As for veritek- out 4-6 weeks- could be the rest of the season as a catcher has so much stress on knees.

Mirabelli is hitting about .200. Nixon is out. Wells sucks, Clement sucks.

I have said all along that the red sox are the vulnerable team in this race. I like the angels,yanks,tigers and white sox in the playoffs with the sox facing the yanks in the ALDS. Could easily be a repeat of White Sox vs Angels in the ALCS. I could live with that.

Isn't that what the Cubs always say about Prior and Wood? Oh, well; time will tell.

hawkjt
08-02-2006, 01:05 PM
The twins may have additional problems;

- Radke was '' limited to three innings due to tightness and pain'' in his last start

- Silvas knee is acting up again

- Liriano- tightness in the forearm- will shoot for his next start on monday against the tigers

Punto was limping last nite after a collision at second base.

They have called up a 7th pitcher for the bullpen. Matt Guerrio and also boof bonser to start today.

ma-gaga
08-02-2006, 01:16 PM
- Radke was '' limited to three innings due to tightness and pain'' in his last start

I thought it was because of general crappiness...

Punto's a grinder. He'll play. And even more shockingly, he's been GOOD at third base. I don't know if he's a long term player, or an everyday player, but he's been effective and knows how to play the position.

The Liriano injury is key. If it's serious, and he misses 4, 5, 6 starts, they are done.

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Anything involving pain in a pitcher's throwing elbow is serious.

The Immigrant
08-02-2006, 01:21 PM
The wheels are coming off the Twinkie bus. 7-0 Texas in the 4th, with a runner on 2B and Teixeira batting. Bonser - not so good.

"wrong" sox fan
08-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Don't forget that Trot Nixon went down also.

It may help Boston, Nixon was suffering from Oldmanitas for all of July and Willy Mo Pena has been hitting the cover off the ball when allowed to play...

What White Sox fans should be looking at is how well Wells does over his next couple starts. Right now Boston has two good pitchers, a pitcher who has looked awesome but pretty lucky and has trouple getting out of the 5th with out throwing 100 pitches and Kyle freaking Snider/Jason Johnson/whoever else gets DFA'd that week.

If Wells can't give them innings, I think they are toast, sorry to say.

Awful hearing about Liriano's injury. Hope he comes back soon. As much as I don't like the Twins, I never like seeing an exciting young player go down. I also agree with what a lot of people have been posting about the twins, they don't seem real to me. I fear them in a short series but they don't seem like a play off team to me.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-02-2006, 04:24 PM
It would be bad karma so say anything to indicate happiness over an injury. So I won't say another word

:bandance: :gulp: :booty: :cheers: :neener: :nod: :yup: :praying:

The Dude
08-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Nice to see Kip Wells have a decent start and help beat the Twins!:bandance:

FedEx227
08-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Anything involving pain in a pitcher's throwing elbow is serious.

Except for the fact that after everytime anyone in higher level baseball pitches they'll inevitably feel elbow pain.

Ol' No. 2
08-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Didn't anyone actually read the article?
"It's not the elbow, it's just in the forearm," pitching coach Rick Anderson said. "It's muscular. You know, if we were later on in September, we would just [start him]. It's more of a precaution.

ma-gaga
08-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Didn't anyone actually read the article?

No. Everyone has their own preconceptions and goes with it. :cool:

But I'm really surprised by the attitude on this thread. "The Twinkies season is over". "I wouldn't be surprise if Cleveland caught them"...

What kind of bull**** is that?? Yeah, Liriano's their #1 stud right now, AND if he goes down, there's no way they can keep up with the Yankees, Red Sox and White Sox, but there's also no ****ing way they get caught by Cleveland. Geeze. Get a grip.

:angry:

Soxfanspcu11
08-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm a bit skeptical of the article itself. I am in no way comparing the twins organization to that horrid disaster on the north side, but sometimes you need to read between the lines.

In the flubs case, they said that both Prior and Wood had minor injuries, but would be ready for spring training, they said this back in December. Then it was, well they may miss a bit of spring training. Then it was, they will miss their first starts of the season, then it was they will miss 1 month, then 2 and so on and so on.

Basically, it's incredibly hard to tell how a player will respond to an injury, especially a pitcher.

I mean, do you guys see how terrible DLee has been since he came back? So bad that they had to put him on the DL because they don't know what else to do. In a game where every little thing is HUGE, an injury is nothing to snicker at.

Liriano could be in some serious trouble. As someone else in this thread stated, he throws so damn violently, that even if he feels well to pitch, and he comes back, the first pitch he throws in his return could send him right back to the bench, and possibly the DL.

I hate to speculate because I am not a twins fan or involoved in their organization, so I just don't know. I'm sure as hell not going to take the word of Buster Olney or any other so called "expert". We will just have to wait and see, it could be something not serious at all, or it could be devastating. Time will tell.