PDA

View Full Version : Why did D.J replace Tom Paciorek?

ZombieRob
08-01-2006, 06:16 PM
anyone know why D.J replaced him and the real reason behind it .I heard him on another broadcast and he still is a pretty darn good color man.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
According to the White Sox, Paciorek refusesd to change his pre game preparations. They felt he wasn't prepared enough.

What 'smells' about that reason is that he was doing the same thing for eleven seasons, 'suddenly' it becomes an issue?

Behind the scenes there are reports that Wimpy and Hawk simply did not get along. Hawk revealing that Wimpy was sexually abused as a kid didn't help matters. I don't know if Hawk did that deliberately or if it accidentally came out in an interview by the way... just that Paciorek who had kept that a secret was very embarrassed and had to 'go public' over it.

Lip

ZombieRob
08-01-2006, 06:36 PM
that really sucks ,T.P alway came across as a really stand up guy and a really decent color analyst .If what you said is the case thats to bad Hawk had to pull his weight in the issue .Also seems to me, listening to Hawk and D.J theres tension there at times.

Britt Burns
08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
A longstanding mystery...whatever the reason, I miss Whimpy.

Save McCuddy's
08-01-2006, 07:17 PM
According to the White Sox, Paciorek refusesd to change his pre game preparations. They felt he wasn't prepared enough.

Sounds eerily similar to the Widger dismissal.

ilsox7
08-01-2006, 08:04 PM

Hardly. Widger was here for 1.5 years, Wimpy was here for a decade.

Save McCuddy's
08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
That was a joke -- did I need to teal that for you?? Widger can't seem to figure out what they didn't like about his preparatory routine.

My take on Whimpy's departure at the time was that Hawk was uncomfortable with Paciorek's frank appraisal of the club and willingness to criticize Reinsdorf and Schueler. The ultimate yes man went to the powers that be and ousted his buddy Duke.

DJ is the typical Reinsdorf hire. Re: Pete Myers, Chris Singleton, KW, Ozzie, etc. Take on a guy from your organization who is not currently in demand for a position of that level and know that he will forever be grateful and toe company line for having been given the opportunity. Sometimes it works out brilliantly and other times you end up with DJ calling your games.

Palehose13
08-01-2006, 10:50 PM
DJ is the typical Reinsdorf hire. Re: Pete Myers, Chris Singleton, KW, Ozzie, etc. Take on a guy from your organization who is not currently in demand for a position of that level and know that he will forever be grateful and toe company line for having been given the opportunity. Sometimes it works out brilliantly and other times you end up with DJ calling your games.

And sometimes you get world championships. :cool:

soxfanreggie
08-01-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't think Ozzie is necessarily in the same lines as Singleton and DJ. I do miss the Wimperoo. He was always nice to talk to and many times before the game took time to talk to me and shoot the breeze. My dad met him in Spring Training years ago, so he introduced me to Tom.

I always loved listening to Hawk and Wimpy...Hawk and DJ...not as much.

NoShoesJoe
08-01-2006, 10:54 PM

For sure. Hmmm.....

NoShoesJoe
08-01-2006, 10:57 PM
That was a joke -- did I need to teal that for you?? Widger can't seem to figure out what they didn't like about his preparatory routine.

My take on Whimpy's departure at the time was that Hawk was uncomfortable with Paciorek's frank appraisal of the club and willingness to criticize Reinsdorf and Schueler. The ultimate yes man went to the powers that be and ousted his buddy Duke.

DJ is coming into his own. It seems he (kindly) calls BS on Hawk and it's funny. I thought Wimpy was great, but I am a DJ fan too.
I'm sure the Washington fans will love Wimpy

stacksedwards
08-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Wimpy actually faced DJ in a Texas Bullrope match. As Wimpy was just about to touch the fourth concern Hawk hit him with a loaded eye patch allowing DJ to hit Wimpy with several DJDD (Darrin Jackson Death Drops) and he was able to touch all four corners giving him the win and the job with the Sox. True story, Nardi Contreas told me.

ssirish317
08-01-2006, 11:52 PM

And sometimes you get world championships.:cool:

IMO, that would qualify as one of the few times its worked out brilliantly. Even blind squirrels...

ewokpelts
08-02-2006, 12:27 AM

What 'smells' about that reason is that he was doing the same thing for eleven seasons, 'suddenly' it becomes an issue?

Behind the scenes there are reports that Wimpy and Hawk simply did not get along. Hawk revealing that Wimpy was sexually abused as a kid didn't help matters. I don't know if Hawk did that deliberately or if it accidentally came out in an interview by the way... just that Paciorek who had kept that a secret was very embarrassed and had to 'go public' over it.

LipDidnt Wimpy come out his abuse years AFTER he and hawk split?

whitesoxfan
08-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Didnt Wimpy come out his abuse years AFTER he and hawk split?

That's what I thought as well.

ewokpelts
08-02-2006, 01:32 AM
That's what I thought as well.yeah...he came out about it after the boston priest scandal...of 2002

ilsox7
08-02-2006, 03:06 AM

Apparently so. Teal is SOP for sarcasm around here.

Steelrod
08-02-2006, 05:30 AM
Hawk's always on a power trip. Have you noticed how much better DJ is on national broadcasts when Hawks not around?

C-Dawg
08-02-2006, 06:30 AM
DJ is the typical Reinsdorf hire. Re: Pete Myers, Chris Singleton, KW, Ozzie, etc.

Four months into his stint in the radio booth and I already prefer Singleton over DJ by about 3 to 1.

BigPapaPump
08-02-2006, 06:37 AM
I know your happy for me but...........I had the oppurtunity to talk with T.P. several times when I was working in a chicago area hotel during highschool. He was very friendly and always had time to talk baseball.

Its taken a while but D.J. has started to grow on me.

Save McCuddy's
08-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Four months into his stint in the radio booth and I already prefer Singleton over DJ by about 3 to 1.

:rolling:

PatK
08-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Hawk's always on a power trip. Have you noticed how much better DJ is on national broadcasts when Hawks not around?

That's what I've noticed- it's like a different person doing the FOX games.

TornLabrum
08-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Didnt Wimpy come out his abuse years AFTER he and hawk split?

Correct. AFAIK Hawk had nothing to do with it. The reason I heard for the split was that Hawk complained to Sox management about Wimpy's lack of preparation like it was something new.

Steelrod
08-02-2006, 09:24 AM
It always seemed to me that Tom was the one who did the on field thing, drop ins, neighborhood appearances. Hawk was(is) never anywhere but in the TV booth. Seems to me that Wimpy was the one who went the extra mile, not Hawk!

Medford Bobby
08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
And the sick part of this story was after the announced departure of Wimpy he was going home to "retire" and see his kids and clean out the garage......:(:

spiffie
08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
IMO, that would qualify as one of the few times its worked out brilliantly. Even blind squirrels...
Yeah, god knows the John Paxson hiring sure hasn't worked out at all for Reinsdorf.

slavko
08-02-2006, 10:20 AM

Talk about putting a negative spin on something...this takes the prize.

skottyj242
08-02-2006, 10:33 AM
I thought he got sick? Didn't he have some sort of cancer?

TornLabrum
08-02-2006, 11:28 AM

Not that was ever publicized. I never heard anything about anything like that.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Hal:

For what it's worth I've asked about this with several media folks in the area and they tell me that Wimpy blames Hawks for making the sexual abuse stuff public.

That's why I worded it the way I did... that I don't know if that 'revelation' was by design or by accident from Hawk.

Taking that out of the discussion because it has no revelance to the firing you still have the question, 'why' after eleven seasons did 'preparation' suddenly become an issue?

Lip

voodoochile
08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
That's one hell of a nut. I mean that isn't some tiny little acorn, this is the grandest walnut ever. A walnut the size of Chicago as it were.

It's not like there is no basis for these hirings. I mean KW paid his dues in the organization for over a decade before getting the GM job and Ozzie had long talked about wanting to be a manager, played SS (where many managers start) and worked as a bench coach on a world champion team before getting the job.

Paxson might be more of a stretch, but he did do some time as a coach and as a color guy which gave him the chance to learn the organization from different perspectives.

They've certainly worked out better than the external hires prior to them (with the exception of Phil and Krause).

Scottzilla
08-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Its just sad cuz hawk and wimpy is what I grew up with and probably a good part of why im a Sox fan.
Its wierd that they would not get along because they had great chemistry on air.
And I don't recall hearing about the wimpy abuse until long after he was gone.

Lip by 'public' do you mean he gosipped about it or he said it on air or in print?

I like listening to hawk call a game but I hear / read alot of rumors online about him being a total prick.

Paulwny
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Hal:

For what it's worth I've asked about this with several media folks in the area and they tell me that Wimpy blames Hawks for making the sexual abuse stuff public.

Lip

If this is correct, how did Hawk find out? and if Paciorek told him that would have be pretty stupid if he wanted this to be hush, hush.

Steelrod
08-02-2006, 02:22 PM
No !

TornLabrum
08-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Hal:

That's why I worded it the way I did... that I don't know if that 'revelation' was by design or by accident from Hawk.

Taking that out of the discussion because it has no revelance to the firing you still have the question, 'why' after eleven seasons did 'preparation' suddenly become an issue?

Lip

I remember distinctly when the story broke, and it was Paciorek who broke it. Now Hawk might have mentioned it to a reporter who then told Wimpy he was going public with it, but that never came out. So technically at least it wouldn't have been Hawk who made it public.

TDog
08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I remember distinctly when the story broke, and it was Paciorek who broke it. Now Hawk might have mentioned it to a reporter who then told Wimpy he was going public with it, but that never came out. So technically at least it wouldn't have been Hawk who made it public.

Such stories always appear to come from the victim, at least in this country. There would be no story if Paciorek didn't talk about it, not from a reputable publication anyway. It may have been questions from reporters who heard a rumor that motivated him to talk about it. I've talked to adults who were molested as children who said they continue to feel victimized by rumor. It's possible that a mutual friend of Harrelson and Paciorek confided in Harrelson after a joke and Harrelson mentioned it to reporters who asked him about Paciorek later on. That too is speculation. Someone else could have started a rumor and blamed Harrelson. It's also possible that Paciorek out of the blue decided to announce to the world that he was molested. Things often become news through a convoluted process. Apparently after 11 years he didn't prepare, so he has a track record for spontaneity.

I hadn't heard a rumor about Paciorek having cancer, and I trust Steelrod's response. On the other hand, in a metaphorical sense, I'm not so sure Harrelson wasn't a cancer to Paciorek's career.

mwc44
08-02-2006, 04:13 PM

No !

I can emphatically second that response... NO!!!

ssirish317
08-02-2006, 04:26 PM

That's one hell of a nut. I mean that isn't some tiny little acorn, this is the grandest walnut ever. A walnut the size of Chicago as it were.

It's not like there is no basis for these hirings. I mean KW paid his dues in the organization for over a decade before getting the GM job and Ozzie had long talked about wanting to be a manager, played SS (where many managers start) and worked as a bench coach on a world champion team before getting the job.

Paxson might be more of a stretch, but he did do some time as a coach and as a color guy which gave him the chance to learn the organization from different perspectives.

They've certainly worked out better than the external hires prior to them (with the exception of Phil and Krause).

I forgot the teal...fixed it.