PDA

View Full Version : clueless

ChiSoxFan7
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't follow the AAA and down levels too much and i was just wondering 3 things:

1) Is Casey Rogowski maxed out potential or is he another whitesox power hitter in the making?

2) who are the best players in our system right now that could make an impact within a year

3) and who are our best players that will help in 08/09

im guessing sweeny, fields, broadway, are on these lists?

thanks for all replies

rdivaldi
08-01-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't follow the AAA and down levels too much and i was just wondering 3 things:

1) Is Casey Rogowski maxed out potential or is he another whitesox power hitter in the making?

2) who are the best players in our system right now that could make an impact within a year

thanks for all replies

I think we all like Rogo as a person and player. He's a nice guy, hustles, and is one hell of an athlete. But I really don't think he's going to fare all that well in the big leagues. He has a long swing at "slider speed". I'll be rooting for him all the way, but I won't get my hopes up.

Fields and Sweeney are probably closest to makikng an impact in the big leagues of players that haven't been called up yet. I'm still hoping for something out of Haeger, Tracey, and Logan as well.

I'm not sure about '08 and '09 we'll have to wait and see. Broadway is leading that pack for now.

California Sox
08-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Broadway is going to come faster than that IMHO. By '09 he's either going to be an established big leaguer or an established disappointment. I'd say out of a thin crop Cunningham and Harrell lead the '08-'09 derby with Carter leading the youngest group of prospects.

DSpivack
08-02-2006, 02:33 AM
I don't know much about prospects, but I think Rogo could be a decent 1B someday. Certainly not the type most teams look for in terms of power, but in the NL as a Sean Casey-Lyle Overbay type, no? Contact hitter with some speed, good glove.

kwolf68
08-02-2006, 02:11 PM
What better name for a Chicago guy than Rogowski? The guy plays hard, he's a player who brings intangibles to the table. I hope he makes it to the show.

buehrle4cy05
08-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Adding on to this thread-

I see Heath Phillips has been putting up good stats in AAA. What does he project in terms of major league talent?

Britt Burns
08-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Adding on to this thread-

I see Heath Phillips has been putting up good stats in AAA. What does he project in terms of major league talent?

At the very best, scouts always project Phillips as a Buehrle clone. Lefty, good command, average velocity, 4 pitches, efficient worker. Don't let that fool you-he will never be a Mark Buehrle (hey, not many ever will)-but if he gets a few breaks and continues to develop he could be a serviceable fourth or fifth guy in the rotation. Charlotte is a tough place to pitch in, especially for a soft tossing lefty, and he has had by far his best season this year.

On the down side, he is getting a little old to be considered a prospect, and has a history of needing to repeat leagues. Ideally the Sox would be able to call him up in September, although being in the heat of a playoff run might rule that out.

ChiSoxFan7
08-02-2006, 05:19 PM
rogo=Joe Brochard?

StatHead21
08-02-2006, 05:33 PM

thanks for all replies
Casey Rogowski is hardly a prospect at his age and his position. He's a first baseman that doesn't have much power. He's a future bench player(think Ross Gload). Fields is the only prospect that can really help this year or next. Sweeny is a tools player that doesn't walk, can't steal bases and doesn't hit for power. Broadway has average #s, he may be a decent MLB starter but he's not a star in the making. As for 08/09 its too early to tell.

Haeger is a toss up, if he throws strikes his knuckleball is obviously good enough to get people out, but can he throw strikes?

StatHead21
08-02-2006, 05:35 PM
rogo=Joe Brochard?

No, Rogo=Ross Gload.

Joe Borchard is one of the biggest busts in MLB history.

Britt Burns
08-02-2006, 05:46 PM

Borchard was a huge bust, but off hand I would say that Brien Taylor, Josh Hamilton, Mark Merchant, Shawn Abner (eech), and Todd Van poppel were bigger...other than Van Poppel, all of them came in as higher picks (Borchard was #12), and a lot more hype. If it hadn't been for the contract, Borchard would have been just another toolsey outfielder who couldn't figure out the strike zone.

StatHead21
08-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Borchard was a huge bust, but off hand I would say that Brien Taylor, Josh Hamilton, Mark Merchant, Shawn Abner (eech), and Todd Van poppel were bigger...other than Van Poppel, all of them came in as higher picks (Borchard was #12), and a lot more hype. If it hadn't been for the contract, Borchard would have been just another toolsey outfielder who couldn't figure out the strike zone.

Very true, but with the biggest signing bonus in draft history at the time, his name should be up there with those guys.

ChiSoxFan7
08-02-2006, 07:06 PM
No, Rogo=Ross Gload.

i didn't mean negatively. I meant like a AAAA player. but ross gload's aren't exactly the worse thing to have on your bench.....

rdivaldi
08-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Casey Rogowski is hardly a prospect at his age and his position. He's a first baseman that doesn't have much power. He's a future bench player(think Ross Gload). Fields is the only prospect that can really help this year or next. Sweeny is a tools player that doesn't walk, can't steal bases and doesn't hit for power.

Whoa! Hold on there. Sweeney is a freakin' 21 year old ripping up AAA. Yeah his power numbers aren't there (yet), but with that sweet swing and his natural size, he's going to develop 25+ home run power. He's got nine already this year, which is a career high.

I agree that he isn't drawing a lot of walks, but he's also not striking out. Not to mention his defense seems to have improved and he has a cannon of an arm. I am absolutely astounded at how successful he's been in Charlotte playing against guys 5, 6, 7, 15 years older than him.

He's going to be an extremely special player.

caulfield12
08-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Some other notable busts....

Josh Booty
Ben McDonald
Chris Weinke
Colt Griffin
anyone the Royals picked in the first round from 95-02

1995 Ben Davis (yes, OUR Big Ben), Ariel Prieto, Jamie Jones, Jonathan Johnson, Chad Hermansen
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/draft?year=1995 Just look at how many first rounders actually made it...

1994 Ben Grieve, Paul Wilson, McKay Christenson, Mark Farris

1996 Travis Lee, Seth Greisinger, Matt White, Chad Green, Bobby Seay (didn't sign with Sox)

1997 Matt Anderson, Dan Reichert, JJ Davis (continuing Pirates' horrible roll), Jason Dellaero, Ryan Anderson (M's)

1998 Jeff Austin, Sean Burroughs, Carlos Pena

1999 Only 1 of the top 8 selected (Josh Beckett) has had a significant impact, with Josh Hamilton leading the underachievement pack

2000 http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/alltime/draft?year=2000

Look how bad this first round is...Chase Utley, drafted after Borchard in the first, is one of only a handful of players to make any type of impact...this might be the worst first round in history