PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Comeback Game

beasly213
08-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Ok so this year the Sox have had quite a few comeback victories, (And some losses too..boo)

It got me thinking. What is the best come from behind Victory you have ever been to?

I would say mine was Game 2 against Boston in the ALDS, but There was still a lot of baseball left When Tadahito hit the HR.

So, mine would probably be a game in 1998 against the St. Louis Cards.

The Sox were down by 4 going into the 9th.

Albert Bell came up with two guys on and two outs and jacked a 3 run HR to put the sox within 1.

The Next guy up Robin Ventura hit a solo shot to tie it.

Eventually the Sox won in 11 off another Robin Ventura HR.

It was so great to see all those cards fans in their trademark red shirt and jean shorts outfit walking with their heads down.

What are some of your favorite games you've been to where the sox came from behind?

voodoochile
08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
The victory over the flubbies a few years ago when they came back from 8-0 or something.

I was there with a couple of flubbie friends. Great game.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Didn't we come up with 5 runs or something against the dodgers when AJ hit the walkoff last year?

Foulke You
08-01-2006, 03:34 PM
The biggest miracle comeback game I've ever been to was in June of 2002 Sox vs Cubs at Comiskey Park. The Cubs took an 8-0 lead into the 4th or 5th inning and the game rapidly was turning into a laugher. Kerry Wood beaned Paulie in the head and Konerko responded with 2 homers in the game and the Sox stormed all the way back to win the game 13-9. The Cubs fans who were whooping it up when they were up 8-0, solemnly left Comiskey in disbelief. That is the best one I've seen.:cool:

Mr.1Dog
08-01-2006, 03:36 PM
AJ's walkoff this year against the flubs was a beauty. Pablo's suicide squeeze was a nice one this year. I know it resulted in a loss, but Iguchi's grandslam against Houston was awesome especially being in attendance.

stacksedwards
08-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Game 3 of the World Series was pretty good.

Game against Mariners this year when Pablo tied it in the ninth

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Best Comeback: 2 outs bottom of the 9th..Pablo Ozuna homerun. He would later score by turning a single into a double and getting home on a Juan Uribe bloop.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Baby Fisk
08-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Early last season, Jermaine Dye hit a game-tying HR in Toronto, then Pierzynski drove in the winning run. The small but vocal handful of Sox partisans in the upper deck went bananas. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

SOXPHILE
08-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Put me down as well for that 2002, Friday afternoon game in June against the Cubs. When it was 8-0, I literally wanted to throw up, and was actually debating if I should just leave early, and get the hell out of there, so I wouldn't have to walk back to my car surrounded by floppy blue hatted morons whooping it up. Boy, was I glad I stayed. When the Sox pulled to within a run or two, and the Cubs brought in Jeff Fasero in relief, I knew that the Sox were going to win. The walk out of the park was hilarious.

Another great comeback game I went to was in June, 2000. The Sox had just went 7-0 on a road trip to Cleveland and New York. (3 game sweep at Jacobs, and 4 game sweep in the Bronx). They came home, and split a 4 game series with the Tribe, then the Yankees came to town for 3. I went to the Friday game. Yankees were winning in the 9th, with Rivera on the mound. Carlos Lee tied it with a homer. Then, later, Jose Valentin knocked in Herbert Perry for the game winner. I think the place was as electric as it was following the A.J. game against the Dodgers last June 18th.

Mr. White Sox
08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
I was at the AJ walkoff against Brazoban last year, and Ozuna's walkoff bunt this year.

For some reason I remember being at a game where Kelly Dransfeldt hit the game-winner (or maybe he scored the winning run). It was something liek a 5 or 6-run ninth inning comeback victory. Was that in 2004?

Cat Thief
08-01-2006, 04:14 PM
AJ against the scrubs this year. Besides Oct 2005, I haven't been that happy about a baseball game in a long time.

:smile:

thomas35forever
08-01-2006, 04:18 PM
AJ against the scrubs this year. Besides Oct 2005, I haven't been that happy about a baseball game in a long time.

Put me down for that one.:smile:

Scottzilla
08-01-2006, 04:26 PM
i was at the saturday game in Anaheim of Los Angeles this year. Wasnt really a comeback but I can remember it :gulp:

CommanderPudge72
08-01-2006, 04:31 PM
I have many, but I will only cover the last 5 years to be concise:

1. WS Game 2
2. ALCS Game 2
3. ALDS Game 2
4. Crede's grand slam against the Astros this year
5. The valiant, but failed comeback highlighted by Iguchi's slam the next day

All time football comeback.....Bears vs. Browns in 2001...the Bears scored three touchdowns within the last 2:00 minutes of the game...2 in 1:30 of regulation, and 1 in OT...also recovered on-sides kick.

I was in attendance for every one of these games, save WS 2....makes them all the more sweet.

voodoochile
08-01-2006, 05:21 PM
All time football comeback.....Bears vs. Browns in 2001...the Bears scored three touchdowns within the last 2:00 minutes of the game...2 in 1:30 of regulation, and 1 in OT...also recovered on-sides kick.

I was in attendance for every one of these games, save WS 2....makes them all the more sweet.

I was at that Bears game. All of the final three TD's were right in front of me in the endzone. What a game. That was one of the two back-2-back games won by Mike Brown returning a pick for the winning TD.

Timmy D's
08-01-2006, 05:26 PM
The AJ/Cub one may have gottem my vote, but I wasnt there, so gonna go w/ ALCS game 2 instead. Park went from just dead calm to all out euphoria like I've never felt there.

jackbrohamer
08-01-2006, 05:33 PM
My favorite was June 4, 1988 at Comiskey Park, the White Sox were losing 8-4 in the bottom of the 9th and staged a 6-run comeback capped by a Gary Redus grand slam to win 10-8. The late, great Ivan Calderon also hit a homer in the 9th inning.

The Sox were terrible that year and could not hit at all so the comeback was a near-miracle, it was a hot Saturday night, Sox Park was less than half full but the place went absolutely nuts when Redus won it. They finished the year 30+ games behind Oakland so it was pretty much the highlight of the year.

08-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Game 2 - 2005 World Series

no comparison

ChiSoxGirl
08-01-2006, 05:37 PM
For some reason I remember being at a game where Kelly Dransfeldt hit the game-winner (or maybe he scored the winning run). It was something liek a 5 or 6-run ninth inning comeback victory. Was that in 2004?

I was at that game; it was a day game. I think we were playing the Indians and we got to Wickman. What new?! It was a great game and such a good moment for the short-lived Sox career of Dransfeldt. By the way, is he still in our organization? Was he traded/released? Anyone know?

Cuck the Fubs
08-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Oh man this one is easy.............

The game against the Scrubs when Wood drilled Konerko, after which Paulie went on to drill 2 long balls.....we were down 8 -2 and came back to pound them 13 - 9:D:

And, as luck would have it, I was down there with several of my Cub fan pals, who were giving me nonstop ****......ahhh how sweet it was:bandance:

ChiSoxFan7
08-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Game 3 of the World Series was pretty good.

i was there....and the ball landed 10 rows infront of me. the crowd's uproar was simply put: RIDICULOUS!

this one to me. S.pods walk off...who woulda saw it coming?!?!?!

CommanderPudge72
08-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I was at that Bears game. All of the final three TD's were right in front of me in the endzone. What a game. That was one of the two back-2-back games won by Mike Brown returning a pick for the winning TD.

I was in the same area as well....my brother and I had 3 Browns fans in front of us and they were OBNOXIOUS....until the last two minutes...then we let them have it...I have never seen someone so shocked and bewildered at a sporting event....it was great...we wished them good by and good luck as they stormed out.

Madvora
08-01-2006, 05:55 PM
My memory is really bad with specifics, but two of the greatest I can remember are.

- Carlos Lee grand slam at Wrigley (I missed the entire game, I was at a concert at the House of Blues)

- Robin Ventura grand slam (The one where Frank puts him on his shoulders)

Can someone please provide the specifics of these?

CommanderPudge72 - Nice call about the Bears. I was at the 49ers game the week before in 2001. Outstanding! I also saw the Bears win at Tennessee on an overtime safety a couple years ago. The only two games I've ever been to.

sox1970
08-01-2006, 06:08 PM
I was at that game; it was a day game. I think we were playing the Indians and we got to Wickman. What new?! It was a great game and such a good moment for the short-lived Sox career of Dransfeldt. By the way, is he still in our organization? Was he traded/released? Anyone know?

Kelly Dransfeldt retired after the 2004 season with the Sox organization.

Dick Allen
08-01-2006, 06:16 PM
The comeback from 8-0 down against Carrie Wood.

ZachAL
08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
In my mind it's hands down game 2 World Series.

As to the best comeback i've been to, well for anyone who was at the game against Minnesota in 2003 with the Big Hurt and PK HR's (july 2nd I believe, could be wrong, begining of july though) was absolutely amazing.

buehrle4cy05
08-01-2006, 10:33 PM
This year it's gotta be Cintron against Detroit or Pablo against Seattle.

Or AJ against the Cubs. Or Dye against the Red Sox. The list goes on and on.

chisoxmike
08-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Favorite comeback regular season games...

Sox vs Cubs- Comeback from 8-0
7/24/04- Sox vs. Tigers, Crede walk off HR in 9th
6/18/05- Sox vs. Dodgers- AJ walkoff

HebrewHammer
08-02-2006, 12:53 AM
1. Game 2 of WS
2. Game 2 of ALCS
3. AJ Walkoff against LA
4. Joe Crede against Cleveland last year.
5. Pablo's Walk off bunt against Oakland this year, wild game. A real rollercoaster.

Wow, that's a lot of walkoff moments for the last two years and I'm sure I can think of a bunch more. Wild. The only statistic for clutch is wins.

HebrewHammer
08-02-2006, 12:55 AM
this one to me. S.pods walk off...who woulda saw it coming?!?!?!

Everyone in attendance had the same reaction. I'll forget a lot of things before my time, but I think that I'm going to take to my grave.

BadBobbyJenks
08-02-2006, 12:56 AM
AJ's walkoff this year against the flubs was a beauty. Pablo's suicide squeeze was a nice one this year. I know it resulted in a loss, but Iguchi's grandslam against Houston was awesome especially being in attendance.

Ill still take ajs walk off against the dodgers, becuase I know there are a lot of people like me who were in attendance and at that moment really believed it was our year.

As far as this year, Mack tying the game with his first white sox homer and the pablo bunt to win it, great game to be at...(and that whole big hurt thing)

DSpivack
08-02-2006, 01:41 AM
Pods in Game 2 of course goes #1.

Was the 13-9 comeback vs. the Cubs the same game that Carlos Lee hit the walkoff slam to beat them?

Also, for one I've been at, I've seen a few good ones but the best definitely is Pablo's bunt. Being Frank's return puts that one on a higher level.

StillMissOzzie
08-02-2006, 01:42 AM
I won't try to rank these, but I was there for these highlight reel finishes:

1) The often-mentioned Friday day game Sox/Cubs game where the Cubs took an early 8-0 lead, only to lose it. I remember saying "chipping away, chipping away" all afternoon
2) The Friday night Sox/Cubs game where C Lee hit an extra-inning grand slam. I was surrounded by Cubbie blue mopes who were swiftly silenced.
3) The Sox/Rangers game, which was on a 7/31 if I recall one of Lip's historical posts, where Ventura hit a walk-off grand slam off of Gossage.
4) The game on a Friday night vs. the Yankees where the rally was capped off by Jose Valentin's walk-off hit off of Mariano Rivera (?).

SMO
:D:

JB98
08-02-2006, 01:45 AM
The AJ game against the Dodgers. That was quite a display of two-strike hitting. Everett had two strikes on him when he singled in Iguchi to make it 3-2. Harris pinch-ran and stole second. A-Row was really the unsung hero. He ran the count full and fouled off several tough pitches from Brozeban (sp?) before singling up the middle to score Willie and tie the game. That set the stage for AJ, who also had a lengthy AB. Great two-out comeback. We were down to our final strike not once but twice while Carl and Aaron we're hitting.

BadBobbyJenks
08-02-2006, 01:46 AM
I cant believe I didnt put the carlos lee grandslam/8-0 cubs comeback as others have said

chisoxmike
08-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Was the 13-9 comeback vs. the Cubs the same game that Carlos Lee hit the walkoff slam to beat them?

No, the Carlos Lee slam was in 2001, the 8-0 comeback was in 2002.

SoxSpeed22
08-03-2006, 06:24 PM
All the good 2005 ones are taken.
:walkoff:
ALDS game 2, ALCS game 5, WS game 2 and 3.
My other one is Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas homering off Guardado in 2003.

Chips
08-03-2006, 06:43 PM
All the good 2005 ones are taken.
:walkoff:

That would be it.

slobes
08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Game 2 of the WS was one of the best moments thus far of my short, 17 year long life. You can bet that I'll never forget it. Both a grand slam and a walk-off HR in a world seris game?! Are you kidding me?!?!

lakeviewsoxfan
08-03-2006, 08:23 PM

July 1st is my birthday. Talk about a great gift!!

ws05champs
08-03-2006, 09:26 PM
ALCS Game 2.

I was feeling a bit down in the 9th knowing the Angels had beaten us the night before and had played us tough through the season. Everyone in the stands were on their feet clapping and then AJ strikes out. As I sat down, I figured "Oh well, on to the tenth." And then I see AJ's on first! Well, we know what happened after that. In addition it was my wife's birthday. The change in emotions from down to ecstasy was one of the biggest swings I have ever experienced.