PDA

View Full Version : Well, I think this has got to be a first...


TimChamp
02-18-2002, 04:42 PM
I don't really care, but I read this article and was "totally blown away by it"...I wish we had some baseball superstars willing to say that :whiner: :gulp:

Here's the link to the article...
A die-hard White Sox fan for life (http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,5026640_52,00.html)

Tell me what you guys think about it :D:

OfficerKarkovice
02-18-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
I don't really care, but I read this article and was "totally blown away by it"...I wish we had some baseball superstars willing to say that :whiner: :gulp:

Here's the link to the article...
A die-hard White Sox fan for life (http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,5026640_52,00.html)

Tell me what you guys think about it :D:

I say sign him up...as a high minor league pitching instructor like in AAA...he could be a great influence on guys ready to break into the big leagues.

Chisox_cali
02-18-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
I don't really care, but I read this article and was "totally blown away by it"...I wish we had some baseball superstars willing to say that :whiner: :gulp:

Here's the link to the article...
A die-hard White Sox fan for life (http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,5026640_52,00.html)

Tell me what you guys think about it :D:

Thats pretty cool, I doubt we would ever sign him to play for us but the coaching idea that Kark brought up is a good idea.

TimChamp
02-18-2002, 05:05 PM
I'm just wondering, how many baseball players would actually choose to play for the Chicago White Sox over any other team in MLB...They should do an anonymous response study on that, because I'm pretty sure there would be some replies for Chicago, but it would be mostly for the Cubs...just an interesting thought. :?:

MarqSox
02-18-2002, 05:06 PM
Wow, did I read that right? There's a Major Leaguer out there who actually lists the White Sox as his DESTINATION? Geez. Always seems like we're the team with the no-trade clause, not vice-versa.

doctor30th
02-18-2002, 05:20 PM
I think he'd be a nice pitching coach, I think they should get Eldred to be a bull pen coach too (he subed for kushner last year).

And if I knew if Baines talked at all, I'd offer him a minor league coaching position.

Daver
02-18-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I think he'd be a nice pitching coach, I think they should get Eldred to be a bull pen coach too (he subed for kushner last year).

And if I knew if Baines talked at all, I'd offer him a minor league coaching position.

Coaching what?

Baines would make a good addition to the Sox PR staff,if all he did was show up at games and sign autographs.

I am on record saying that Cal should replace Nardi.Either him or Tommy John.

TimChamp
02-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by daver


Coaching what?

Baines would make a good addition to the Sox PR staff,if all he did was show up at games and sign autographs.

I am on record saying that Cal should replace Nardi.Either him or Tommy John.


I think Baines would be the coach for Julio Ramirez (giving him more advice on how to stay on the team even when your average is below .100)...no, seriously, I think he would be a pretty good hitting coach down in the minors or something...

And I agree, I think Cal should be the pitching coach to replace Nardi if Nardi doesn't show improvement this year in developing/managing the staff, but until then, I think Cal should be either bullpen coach or a minor league pitching coach for the Sox...

Then again, I thought we should have given Ozzie a position on the Sox too and look where he is now, in Florida :o:

HootieMcBoob
02-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Tina (ilovemags30) told me that her family knows Dan Plesac well - her dad and him were and still are good friends. She said she always goes when Toronto is in town and that he has let her in the visitor's bullpen, or something......she'll have to tell you about it when she comes back on. I think he could help the Sox and be a positive influence around our young pitchers, but we'll see.

TimChamp
02-18-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
Tina (ilovemags30) told me that her family knows Dan Plesac well - her dad and him were and still are good friends. She said she always goes when Toronto is in town and that he has let her in the visitor's bullpen, or something......she'll have to tell you about it when she comes back on. I think he could help the Sox and be a positive influence around our young pitchers, but we'll see.

Hey, maybe he can be our new pitching coach...he's a pretty good pitcher right? Anybody have any career numbers on the guy?

I think of it this way, NOBODY could possibly do worse than what Nardi's doing :gulp:

Dadawg_77
02-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp



I think Baines would be the coach for Julio Ramirez (giving him more advice on how to stay on the team even when your average is below .100)...no, seriously, I think he would be a pretty good hitting coach down in the minors or something...

And I agree, I think Cal should be the pitching coach to replace Nardi if Nardi doesn't show improvement this year in developing/managing the staff, but until then, I think Cal should be either bullpen coach or a minor league pitching coach for the Sox...

Then again, I thought we should have given Ozzie a position on the Sox too and look where he is now, in Florida :o:

I don't know how good of a coach Baines would be. Like Frank, he had a gift of a sweet swing, and it is hard to teach something that comes so natually to one. For a hitting coach, I would rather some one who struggled but put up decent numbers in baseball. It like backup catchers make great coaches, not good enougth that the game comes easy to them, but they love the game so they work on the game.

Daver
02-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77


I don't know how good of a coach Baines would be. Like Frank, he had a gift of a sweet swing, and it is hard to teach something that comes so natually to one. For a hitting coach, I would rather some one who struggled but put up decent numbers in baseball. It like backup catchers make great coaches, not good enougth that the game comes easy to them, but they love the game so they work on the game.

You hit the nail on the head Dawg,Harold's swing works for him,but would not work for most hitters.

TimChamp
02-18-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77


I don't know how good of a coach Baines would be. Like Frank, he had a gift of a sweet swing, and it is hard to teach something that comes so natually to one. For a hitting coach, I would rather some one who struggled but put up decent numbers in baseball. It like backup catchers make great coaches, not good enougth that the game comes easy to them, but they love the game so they work on the game.

Wasn't Yogi Berra a good catcher for the Yankmes and didn't he turn out to be a pretty good manager for them? :?:

And I wouldn't say that just because something comes naturally, doesn't mean you don't work on it, because look at Baines now, he's definitely working on that swing of his, even though it used to come naturally to him...but I do get your point :)

TimChamp
02-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by daver


You hit the nail on the head Dawg,Harold's swing works for him,but would not work for most hitters.

That kind of reminds me of Singleton...

Paulwny
02-18-2002, 05:49 PM
Good ml numbers do not make you a coach. Two of the best hitting coaches, Walt Hriniak and Charlie Lau couldn't hit ml pitching. Dadawg is correct, and as Daver has posted, Harold belongs in the PR dept.

Daver
02-18-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Good ml numbers do not make you a coach. Two of the best hitting coaches, Walt Hriniak and Charlie Lau couldn't hit ml pitching. Dadawg is correct, and as Daver has posted, Harold belongs in the PR dept.

Von Joshua was a better than average hitting coach,and he was a rotten hitter too.

TimChamp
02-18-2002, 05:57 PM
I guess it all comes down to whether you can translate what you have (or haven't) learned on the field into coaching material for other baseball players...AND how well you can coach it...

TimChamp
02-18-2002, 06:06 PM
I read that some people here wanted Ozzie to be a coach/front office guy for the White Sox...my question is, what would he do??? :?:

bc2k
02-18-2002, 06:16 PM
Also in that link, they mentioned Sirotka and how he has yet to throw a pitch for the Blue Jays. Does anyone know when his contract expires, I'm guessing fairly soon. I'm guessing we're nearing that time when the trade with david wells becomes a white sox gain. The sox didn't have to pay for Siro while he was hurt, so it looks like a sox advantage depending on how long his current contract lasts, and how successful he pitches during that same contract.

TimChamp
02-18-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Also in that link, they mentioned Sirotka and how he has yet to throw a pitch for the Blue Jays. Does anyone know when his contract expires, I'm guessing fairly soon. I'm guessing we're nearing that time when the trade with david wells becomes a white sox gain. The sox didn't have to pay for Siro while he was hurt, so it looks like a sox advantage depending on how long his current contract lasts, and how successful he pitches during that same contract.

I believe his contract expires after this season is over, someone correct me if I'm wrong... :smile:

And by the way, I like your sig about Howry sucking, I just knew that anytime someone was on base, he would implode, I had always wondered if anybody actually had any statistics on it and there it is...Thanks for the knowledge

Daver
02-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp


I believe his contract expires after this season is over, someone correct me if I'm wrong... :smile:

And by the way, I like your sig about Howry sucking, I just knew that anytime someone was on base, he would implode, I had always wondered if anybody actually had any statistics on it and there it is...Thanks for the knowledge

Sirotka is un UFA at the end of the season.

WinningUgly!
02-18-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by daver


Sirotka is un UFA at the end of the season.
Watch the Sox resign him :cool:

Chisox_cali
02-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Watch the Sox resign him :cool:

Oh No he aint never coming back. I think KW hates him for some reason and I dont think Siro likes KW either. :angry:

Paulwny
02-18-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Watch the Sox resign him :cool:

He seemed a little bitter about the trade. I wouldn't put it past him to sign with the flubs.

OfficerKarkovice
02-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny


He seemed a little bitter about the trade. I wouldn't put it past him to sign with the flubs.

I think I remember him saying after the trade that someday he would love to come back to Chicago...and then he threw in at the end that he was referring to the north side.

Pete_SSAC
02-18-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by daver


Coaching what?

Baines would make a good addition to the Sox PR staff,if all he did was show up at games and sign autographs.

I am on record saying that Cal should replace Nardi.Either him or Tommy John.

Cal would be perfect as a coach, I remember when he was with the team, a lot of pitchers looked up to him.

- Pete

TimChamp
02-18-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC


Cal would be perfect as a coach, I remember when he was with the team, a lot of pitchers looked up to him.

- Pete

I like that sig...hehe :D:

RichH55
02-18-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC


Cal would be perfect as a coach, I remember when he was with the team, a lot of pitchers looked up to him.

- Pete
I would like to see Cal get a role in the Org.....lord knows he knows the dynamics of the human arm better than anyone would ever want to, but I would like to see him work his way up the ladder