PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8-2

Lip Man 1
08-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Another four setter! This day runs from the 20's through the 90's with Carlton Fisk's 'two for the price of one' play included!
----------

August 2, 1921- A Chicago jury finds the eight ‘Black Sox’ players innocent of conspiring to commit fraud by 'throwing' the World Series. During the trial the 'confessions' of Joe Jackson and Ed Cicotte are never produced as the prosecution says they were 'lost.' The players expect to go back to the Sox but then Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis permanently banishes them, destroying the only team that could have played with the Yankees throughout the 1920's.

To this day no one can say with absolute certainty who did what, which players were guilty, which players were duped and what role Sox owner Charles Comiskey had in all this.

August 2, 1979 - Tony LaRussa replaces Don Kessinger as White Sox manager. The Tampa native, who had passed the bar exam in Florida, is only 35 years old.

August 2, 1985- An incredible weekend in New York starts with perhaps the most unusual play in White Sox history. With Britt Burns on the mound, Rickey Henderson slams a double to left center over the head of Luis Salazar. Yankee base runners Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra get confused because it looked like Salazar might have been able to make the catch. Meacham stumbles running the bases and is nearly passed by Berra. Both runners get hung up and attempt to score as Salazar’s relay throw is caught by Ozzie Guillen and fired to Carlton Fisk at the plate. Fisk then tags out and knocks down BOTH Meacham and Berra one / two as they attempt to score. That’s two for the price of one at home plate! To cap things off the Sox win the game 6-5 in 11 innings.

August 2, 1990- In the first game of a double header Frank Thomas makes his major league debut in Milwaukee. He goes 0-4 in his first game. The next night Big Frank narrowly misses a home run in the 7th inning when his line shot hits the top of the wall in right field and goes for a triple. It would be his first major league hit.

Lip

Jurr
08-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I was at home "hosting" a sleepover when that happened. I was falling asleep, and my dad shook me awake to show me that play. It was unforgettable. I love it when they show the double tag on the opening montage.

duke of dorwood
08-01-2006, 02:43 PM
For sure an eventful day in Sox History

duke of dorwood
08-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Other than on the intro video, is that Fisk play available on video?

WisSoxFan
08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
If I recall the Yankees tied that game in the 9th on a homer by Dave Winfield (not sure how many outs at the time) and the Sox scored the winning run in the top of the 11th when Ozzie (I think) scored from second on a ground ball to first. And the Sox turned an incredible double play on Winfield earlier in the game. One of the most memorable Sox games that I've watched. If that game had been played in the post-season it would be still be talked about today as one of the best ever. Instead it was two good teams playing in a great baseball game in August that very few remember.

LongLiveFisk
08-01-2006, 03:16 PM
August 2, 1985- An incredible weekend in New York starts with perhaps the most unusual play in White Sox history. With Britt Burns on the mound, Rickey Henderson slams a double to left center over the head of Luis Salazar. Yankee base runners Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra get confused because it looked like Salazar might have been able to make the catch. Meacham stumbles running the bases and is nearly passed by Berra. Both runners get hung up and attempt to score as Salazar’s relay throw is caught by Ozzie Guillen and fired to Carlton Fisk at the plate. Fisk then tags out and knocks down BOTH Meacham and Berra one / two as they attempt to score. That’s two for the price of one at home plate! To cap things off the Sox win the game 6-5 in 11 innings.

My favorite Sox moment ever.

With the exception of October 26, 2005, of course. :wink:

EastCoastSoxFan
08-01-2006, 03:49 PM
August 2, 1990- In the first game of a double header Frank Thomas makes his major league debut in Milwaukee. He goes 0-4 in his first game.One of my favorite White Sox moments ever, other than 10/26/2005.
My brother, my friend, and I drove up to Milwaukee to witness the major league debut of first-round draft pick Alex Fernandez (we even made a banner that we tried unsuccessfully to hold up as he took the mound in the bottom of the 1st) and were quite surprised to see a big guy taking ground balls at first base during batting practice. My friend instantly surmised that the Sox had called up Frank Thomas the same day; and as Lip mentioned, he went hitless but drove in a run with an infield grounder as Fernandez went 7+, gave up 2 runs, left with a 3-2 lead, and got a no-decision as the Vulture (that would be Barry Jones) picked up the win in relief after giving up the tying run in the 8th.

wilburaga
08-01-2006, 03:51 PM
If I recall the Yankees tied that game in the 9th on a homer by Dave Winfield (not sure how many outs at the time) and the Sox scored the winning run in the top of the 11th when Ozzie (I think) scored from second on a ground ball to first. And the Sox turned an incredible double play on Winfield earlier in the game. One of the most memorable Sox games that I've watched. If that game had been played in the post-season it would be still be talked about today as one of the best ever. Instead it was two good teams playing in a great baseball game in August that very few remember.

Yes, Winfield's homer was with two outs off Mike Stanton, who had just been brought into the game to relieve Jerry Don Gleaton. Stanton was cut and out of baseball 10 days after. As thrilling as this game was, within 48 hours of its end, I would witness Tom Seaver's 300th win. This was the weirdest of the 50+ Sox games I've seen at Yankee Stadium in that half the crowd was cheering for the Sox. It was Phil Rizzuto day, as I recall, with poor old scooter getting knocked on his keister during the ceremony by a real Holy Cow.

W

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2006, 04:02 PM
August 2, 1985- [COLOR=black]An incredible weekend in New York starts with perhaps the most unusual play in White Sox history.

Wasn't that the same weekend that Tom Seaver won #300?

Lip Man 1
08-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Frater:

Yes. Seaver got his two days later.

And I made one correction since upon checking with Retrosheet, Frank did have an RBI in his first game.

Thanks!

Lip

Lip Man 1
08-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Duke:

I do have the play via NBC-TV. I sent along to George for future use a new interactive/audio piece looking back at the Sox of the 1980's.

One of the 'clips' on it is Vin Scully's call of that play.

Something to look for when it is published at WSI.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Frater:

Yes. Seaver got his two days later.

Sorry I stole you thunder for your next "This Date in Sox History" lesson. :redface:

stl_sox_fan
08-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Lip

Holy cow, that play is over 20 years old?!?!? I remember watching that on TV. Fisk was dare I say, "Cool as the other side of the pillow" slamming those tags. Memories.

On another note, this daily feature rocks. Great diligence Lip!

FielderJones
08-01-2006, 05:51 PM
August 2, 1906 - The Chicago White Sox begin a nineteen game (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/VCHA01906.htm) winning streak. They will not lose another game until August 25.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Frater:

No worries. We actually have stuff ready to go for August 3rd.

Lip

JimmyJoe
08-02-2006, 12:55 PM
On October 1, 1919, the Chicago White Sox (http://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/276.html), whom many observers believed to be one of the best baseball (http://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/114.html) teams ever, lost the opening game of the World Series to the Cincinnati Reds, nine to one. This shocking defeat was an omen, for the White Sox lost the series five games to three. A year later, fans found out why. Several team members testified in a Chicago courtroom that they had intentionally thrown the World Series through an arrangement with a nationwide gambling syndicate. Eight White Sox players, including star pitcher Eddie Cicotte and renowned outfielder “Shoeless” Joe Jackson, were charged with conspiracy to defraud the public, conspiracy to commit a confidence game, and conspiracy to injure the business of team owner Charles A. Comiskey. The trial lasted 14 days, and on August 2, 1921, the jury found the players not guilty, clearing them of all charges. Despite their acquittal, newly appointed baseball commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis expelled all eight players from major league baseball in an attempt to assure the American public of the purity of the game. The story of the betrayal and expulsion of the “Black Sox,” and the sense of injustice it provoked, has maintained a powerful hold on American popular culture, and has been memorialized in literature and film.

*From The Encyclopedia of Chicago History

Mr.1Dog
08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
:?: Is it October 1st?

soxfan13
08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
:?: Is it October 1st?

read the article for the August 2nd end of trial and bannings

Mr.1Dog
08-02-2006, 01:01 PM
My apologies.

samram
08-02-2006, 01:38 PM
How I yearn for the days of the Yankees having players like Meacham and Dale Berra.

Also, Frank with a triple- the big guy could run when he came in. He was a far better athlete than he got credit for (except for the throwing part).

LongLiveFisk
08-02-2006, 09:35 PM
How I yearn for the days of the Yankees having players like Meacham and Dale Berra.

Yeah...it may be hard to believe now, but the Yankees really had some bad teams in the 80s. :tongue:

Britt Burns
08-02-2006, 11:51 PM
My brother, my friend, and I drove up to Milwaukee to witness the major league debut of first-round draft pick Alex Fernandez (we even made a banner that we tried unsuccessfully to hold up as he took the mound in the bottom of the 1st) and were quite surprised to see a big guy taking ground balls at first base during batting practice. My friend instantly surmised that the Sox had called up Frank Thomas the same day; and as Lip mentioned, he went hitless but drove in a run with an infield grounder as Fernandez went 7+, gave up 2 runs, left with a 3-2 lead, and got a no-decision as the Vulture (that would be Barry Jones) picked up the win in relief after giving up the tying run in the 8th.

I thought that was alex's debut as well. Man he had great mechanics...every pitch was an exact carbon copy of the last, with the exception of the 2-3 times per game he would drop down and throw a side arm pitch.

michned
08-03-2006, 12:54 AM
I do have the play via NBC-TV. I sent along to George for future use a new interactive/audio piece looking back at the Sox of the 1980's.

I'll never forget Vin Scully's call of that play...

"they get one, and they get two!!!"

Of course, 21 years ago is a long time, at least that's how I remember it.:wink: