PDA

View Full Version : Lidle bad mouths Phillies

Paulwny
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Why do some guys have this need to bad mouth their previous team?
From Newsday:

According to Lidle, anyplace is better than the Phillies' clubhouse. The righthander described a laissez-faire atmosphere in which players don't always care about winning, a major reason why he is looking forward to joining a contender.

"I'm the type who goes to the field every day expecting to win, but unfortunately, the last couple of years, I haven't had a clubhouse that expected to win with me," Lidle said. "On days I was pitching, it was almost a coin flip whether the guys behind me were going to be there, 100 percent. I know that's not going to be the deal here in New York."

Baby Fisk
08-01-2006, 01:23 PM
It would be hard to believe that Aaron Rowand hasn't had at least SOME positive influence in that clubhouse.

RKMeibalane
08-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Why do some guys have this need to bad mouth their previous team?
From Newsday:

According to Lidle, anyplace is better than the Phillies' clubhouse. The righthander described a laissez-faire atmosphere in which players don't always care about winning, a major reason why he is looking forward to joining a contender.

"I'm the type who goes to the field every day expecting to win, but unfortunately, the last couple of years, I haven't had a clubhouse that expected to win with me," Lidle said. "On days I was pitching, it was almost a coin flip whether the guys behind me were going to be there, 100 percent. I know that's not going to be the deal here in New York."

It's ironic that Lidle is accusing his former teammates of not caring, because this is the same person who- on numerous occasions this season- has been seen in the dugout laughing during games in which the Phils' were getting blown out, and also following at-bats in which he was unable to lay down a sacrifice bunt.

I can understand Corey's frustration, but maybe he should look in the mirror before leveling accusations at other people, because he has displayed the same laissez-faire attitude this season.

RKMeibalane
08-01-2006, 01:25 PM
It would be hard to believe that Aaron Rowand hasn't had at least SOME positive influence in that clubhouse.

Or Utley and Howard, who are both gamers in their own right. Me thinks Lidle is passing the buck on this one.

Baby Fisk
08-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Or Utley and Howard, who are both gamers in their own right. Me thinks Lidle is passing the buck on this one.
Yeah, sounds like a case of Hillenbranditis coming from Lidle. Luckily, he gets to spread his cheer through the Yankee clubhouse now.

RKMeibalane
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
From the New York Post:

That put a charge in Rhodes' blood.

"He is a scab," Rhodes said of Lidle, who according to Rhodes was a replacement player during the 1995 spring training lockout with the Brewers. "When he started, he would go 51/3 innings and (the bullpen) would have to win the game for him. The only thing Cory Lidle wants to do is fly around in his airplane and gamble.

Mod edit: Without a link it's impossible to tell if you've gone past "fair use," so I'm trimming it.

I'd forgotten that Lidle was a replacement player. That alone may be reason for him to just ****.

soxfan13
08-01-2006, 01:33 PM
When the Thome for Rowand trade was made one of the reasons, the Phillies management liked Aaron so much, was that they had hoped that he could add some fire and work ethic to the team. So there might be some truth to Lidles comments.

DaleJRFan
08-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Can't wait to see how Lidle's 4.70 ERA translates to the AL East... :rolleyes:

RKMeibalane
08-01-2006, 01:40 PM
When the Thome for Rowand trade was made one of the reasons, the Phillies management liked Aaron so much, was that they had hoped that he could add some fire and work ethic to the team. So there might be some truth to Lidles comments.

There is truth to his comments, but as he was part of the problem, Lidle has no business even opening his mouth. He should mind his own business and worry about helping the Yankees, rather than bad-mouthing his old team.

Baby Fisk
08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Lidle gets his first chance to walk the walk on Thursday afternoon in the Bronx against the Jays. The Jays are even doing him a favour by starting rookie Shaun Marcum that day. It would be nice to see Lidle get shelled.

caulfield12
08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
I always got the impression Rollins was one of the leaders in that clubhouse...haven't heard much about him recently.

And I know Billy Wagner made quite a few statements last year down the stretch about the atmosphere surrounding this team...

Jayson Stark was just on my local sports talk show ripping Gillick for getting nothing in return for Abreu and Lidle. Said at least three clubs offered more for Lidle alone, and that it was ridiculous that the 5th biggest market in the US would force a team to just do a salary dump. And that Gillick must have been totally fed up with Abreu's play and attitude to just turn him lose.

The other interesting tidbit...that the Astros were THIS close to trading Clemens back to the Red Sox for the stretch drive. Now, theoretically, if they ran him through waivers, could any team besides the Mets, Yankees or Red Sox afford him for the rest of the season if they made a claim?

Of course, they would still have to work out an exchange of players, but that would be a nightmare for the White Sox if Clemens went to Boston. Of the five teams in competition, the White Sox would have improved themselves the least at the break...Minnesota, you could argue, but they're surging and they have the pitching in the minors to plug into the rotation if need be.

soxfan13
08-01-2006, 01:49 PM
There is truth to his comments, but as he was part of the problem, Lidle has no business even opening his mouth. He should mind his own business and worry about helping the Yankees, rather than bad-mouthing his old team.

If its been mentioned before that the clubhouse has no fight or fire, why is he the bad guy for saying hes looking forward to playing in a different clubhouse with a winning attitude?

RKMeibalane
08-01-2006, 01:53 PM
If its been mentioned before that the clubhouse has no fight or fire, why is he the bad guy for saying hes looking forward to playing in a different clubhouse with a winning attitude?

Because he was part of the problem with the Phillies, and therefore would have been better off saying nothing.

ilsox7
08-01-2006, 01:55 PM
I think it's fairly ridiculous for anyone here to say whether or not the Phillies clubhouse is a winning environment or not. No one here has any clue. Lidle said what he said. He's not the first and won't be the last.

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2006, 01:55 PM
If its been mentioned before that the clubhouse has no fight or fire, why is he the bad guy for saying hes looking forward to playing in a different clubhouse with a winning attitude?If you're rocking the boat, you're not doing any of the rowing.

Paulwny
08-01-2006, 01:57 PM
If you're rocking the boat, you're not doing any of the rowing.

Good one-- I never heard it before

Chicken Dinner
08-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Just one more reason to dislike the Spanks!

soxfan13
08-01-2006, 02:02 PM
If you're rocking the boat, you're not doing any of the rowing.

Not trying to defend Lidle, but who here is to say he was part of the problem. I would consider it not rocking the boat since he said it after he left. All I said it is not the first time it has been said by media, fans and even the Phillies OWN upper management, that the attitude in the Phillies clubhouse sucks. To stick with the boat motif, If you have a boat with 25 rowers and they are all rowing at different times that boat will go nowhere, you need all 25 guys on the same page. We have seen that from the Phillies the last couple of years, alot of talent and nothing to show.

Ol' No. 2
08-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Not trying to defend Lidle, but who here is to say he was part of the problem. I would consider it not rocking the boat since he said it after he left. All I said it is not the first time it has been said by media, fans and even the Phillies OWN upper management, that the attitude in the Phillies clubhouse sucks. To stick with the boat motif, If you have a boat with 25 rowers and they are all rowing at different times that boat will go nowhere, you need all 25 guys on the same page. We have seen that from the Phillies the last couple of years, alot of talent and nothing to show.If you can't say something good about your old team, don't say anything at all. Good rowers generally follow that advice. It's just something that goes together. Lidle running his mouth now leads me to suspect he was more a part of the problem in Philly than he was a part of the solution.

soxfan13
08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
If you can't say something good about your old team, don't say anything at all. Good rowers generally follow that advice. It's just something that goes together. Lidle running his mouth now leads me to suspect he was more a part of the problem in Philly than he was a part of the solution.

Would agree with you if this was breaking news about the attitude in the Phillies dugout, but since it is old news. Lets Agree to disagree or our boat is gonna go in circles:D:

INSox56
08-01-2006, 02:57 PM
LOL 4.7 ERA into the AL. First against the Jays for christ sake....that lineup is going to massacre him hopefully. I agree with others...shut your mouth. It's business, shut your mouth and play. Same with Carl or Frank or anyone else who's talked **** after they left.

EastCoastSoxFan
08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
If you can't say something good about your old team, don't say anything at all. Good rowers generally follow that advice. It's just something that goes together. Lidle running his mouth now leads me to suspect he was more a part of the problem in Philly than he was a part of the solution.On the other hand, for a good example of how to depart with class, see Widger, Chris. The various explanations on why he was DFA'd have been, to put it politely, cryptic; but from the various interview tidbits that I read, he did not criticize Kenny, Ozzie, or any teammates. His parting words were something to the effect of, Hey, I got a second chance to play and ended up with a ring, so I've got nothing to complain about.

getonbckthr
08-01-2006, 03:52 PM
It seems to be the cool thing to do when leaving Philly is to bitch and moan about the Phillie Clubhouse.

TDog
08-01-2006, 04:00 PM
On the other hand, for a good example of how to depart with class, see Widger, Chris. The various explanations on why he was DFA'd have been, to put it politely, cryptic; but from the various interview tidbits that I read, he did not criticize Kenny, Ozzie, or any teammates. His parting words were something to the effect of, Hey, I got a second chance to play and ended up with a ring, so I've got nothing to complain about.

More impressively, Widger must have been more devastated than players who knew they could hook up with another team. Blum also said good things about the Sox too. Rowand went out gracefully.

Sometimes things people say are taken out of context That makes being classy more important than being honest.

pauliemyhero14
08-01-2006, 04:15 PM
did u guys he what Arthur Rhodes said about Lidle. He kept calling a scub, and that he couldn't pitch out of the 6th and the bullpen always had to save his ass. Arthur also said that Lidle didnt care about the team and he refused to lay down sacarfise bunts.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-01-2006, 04:19 PM
did u guys he what Arthur Rhodes said about Lidle. He kept calling a scub, and that he couldn't pitch out of the 6th and the bullpen always had to save his ass. Arthur also said that Lidle didnt care about the team and he refused to lay down sacarfise bunts.

Calling the Spelling Police!!

caulfield12
08-01-2006, 05:34 PM
He refused to lay down Al Pacino?

RKMeibalane
08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
He refused to lay down Al Pacino?

LOL! Good one!

Seriously, the problems in the Phillies clubhouse seem to be much more serious than is generally known, though with Lidle and Abreu gone, it looks like things may be turning around. After last night's win, which moved the Phils' to within four-and-a-half games of the WC spot, Ryan Howard made a comment that reminded me of the '05 White Sox. He said, "Shh... don't tell anyone. We like being under the radar."

Howard and Utley appear to be starting to assert themselves as the new leaders of that team, and it couldn't come at a better time.