PDA

View Full Version : Two Twins minor leaguers seriously hurt in crash

Jjav829
02-18-2002, 04:03 PM
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Two Minnesota Twins minor league players on their way to spring training were seriously injured in a one-car crash early Monday in Tennessee, the team said.

Josh Johnson, a catcher with the Twins' rookie level team in the Gulf Coast League last season, and Jeff Randazzo, a left-handed pitcher for Class A Quad City, were taken to a hospital near Chattanooga.

The players were in critical but stable condition Monday afternoon. The accident occurred around 2 a.m.

Randazzo sustained several injuries, including a fractured sternum and a collapsed lung, which was repaired through surgery.

Johnson was driving, no alcohol was involved and both players were wearing seat belts, said Lanning Tucker, a trainer for the Gulf Coast League Twins, who was relaying information provided to him by the hospital.

The extent of Johnson's injuries wasn't known, but Tucker said they were less serious than Randazzo's.

Johnson, 19, was a 25th-round draft choice of the Twins last summer. He hit .141 in 24 games last season for the Fort Myers-based Gulf Coast League team.

Randazzo, 20, was selected in the fourth round by the Twins in 1999. He went 9-3 with a 4.62 ERA for the River Bandits in 18 starts last season.

The Twins' major league pitchers and catchers had their first official workout Monday. Minor leaguers aren't scheduled to report until March 8, but there are many early arrivals annually.

Three days ago, San Diego Padres outfielder Mike Darr and another passenger were killed in a one-car accident in Arizona near the team's spring training camp.

cheeses_h_rice
02-18-2002, 04:15 PM
I've driven through and around Chattanooga, and it features some wickedly winding roads, plus mountain climbs and descents. I'm not surprised to hear of an accident there.

Cheryl
02-18-2002, 04:21 PM
It can get really foggy in that area too.

Pete_SSAC
02-18-2002, 08:08 PM
That's it, from now on baseball players cannot drive, it's for their own good. Well, at least it looks like they'll survive, but dempding on the injuries, their carrer looks fuzzy right now.

- Pete

Daver
02-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
It can get really foggy in that area too.

I have hunted in those mountains,the fog is a pain in the posterior,comes up every morning.I figured out the trick to beat the fog though.