PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Trade Deadline Recap Thread

DaleJRFan
07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Figured a recap thread would be nice... to recap all the player movement...

Royals send Affeldt and Denny Bautista to the Rockies for minor leaguer(s)

Pirates send Kip Wells to the Rangers for minor leaguer(s)

Devil Rays send Julio Lugo to the Dodgers for minor leaguer(s)

Cubs send Todd Walker to the Padres for minor leaguer(s)

Cubs send Greg Maddux to the Dodgers for Izturis

Royals send Matt Stairs to the Rangers for minor leaguer(s)

Twins send Kyle Lohse to the Reds for for minor leaguer(s)

Phillies send Rheal Cormier to the Reds for minor leaguer(s)

Pirates send Craig Wilson to the Yankees for Shawn Chacon

Mets send Xavier Nady to Pirates for Roberto Hernandez and Oliver Perez

Padres send Scott Linebrink to the Mets for Oliver Perez and Heath Bell

"wrong" sox fan
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
yanks cleaned up, Mets did ok for themselves as well.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
When I look over that list, the thing that strikes me is how few of these guys would have been an improvement on what the Sox currently have.

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Looks like Linebrink is not confirmed yet. Metsblog.com might have blown it.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Baseball America has nice analysis for each move...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/trades06.html

rowand33
07-31-2006, 04:11 PM
When I look over that list, the thing that strikes me is how few of these guys would have been an improvement on what the Sox currently have.

I agree that I wouldn't have wanted any of those guys.

I was hoping for a leadoff man today though or something that would have moved B.Mac into the rotation because that's obviously not going to happen this year because it will destory Vazquez and Garcia's trade value.

I really hope we start playing to our potential soon.

DaleJRFan
07-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Some other moves fro a few days past, again, just to recap...

Pirates send Sean Casey to the Tigers for Minor Leaguer(s)

Indians send Ronnie Belliard to the Cardinals for Hector Luna

Phillies send Bobby Abreu and Corey Lidle to the Yankees for Minor Leaguer(s)

Phillies send David Bell to the Brewers for Minor Leaguer(s)

Braves send Wilson Betemit to the Dodgers for Danys Baez and Willy Aybar

Nationals send Mike Stanton to the Giants for Minor Leaguer(s)

Brewers send Carlos Lee and Minor Leaguer(s) to the Rangers for Kevin Mench, Francisco Cordero, Laynce Nix and Minor Leaguer(s)

peeonwrigley
07-31-2006, 04:15 PM
The Sox pitching is currently bad. The players have histories of performing better... good enough to win a world championship. If the pitchers on the staff improve, this team will be fine. If they continue to perform at the level they have for the last month or so, the team will go nowhere.

There was not enough available on the trade market to change the aforementioned scenario.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 04:16 PM
I agree that I wouldn't have wanted any of those guys.

I was hoping for a leadoff man today though or something that would have moved B.Mac into the rotation because that's obviously not going to happen this year because it will destory Vazquez and Garcia's trade value.

I really hope we start playing to our potential soon.You tend to remember the trades that make a difference, but they're really in the minority. As Kenny says, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. Remember the deals that were in the works last summer? I'm pretty glad none of those came off.

Baby Fisk
07-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Looks like the Red Sox - Andruw Jones thing was apocryphal. How often do you get to use a word like that?

DaleJRFan
07-31-2006, 04:23 PM
I agree with what Ol No 2 said, no one on this movement list is any better than their White Sox counterpart.

Cellar-dwellers traded their veterans, making them even worse (CHC, PHI, CLE, KC, PIT)

Some front-runners with injury issues added filler pieces (NYY, NYM, TX)

Some mediocre teams made iffy moves to fill some holes (MIL, ATL, LAD)

I think the real story is that the "real" contenders stood firm on their current rosters (CWS, BOS, LAA, MIN) ...notice a trend here?? The teams with post season experience the last few years and those teams with a legit shot this season made a small move here or there, while lots of other wannabes made drastic and desperate moves... Meanwhile, no big names other than CLee and Abreu changed hands. No Jason Schmidt, no Miguel Tejada, no Alfonso Soriano, etc....

I like the Sox chances.

rowand33
07-31-2006, 04:27 PM
You tend to remember the trades that make a difference, but they're really in the minority. As Kenny says, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. Remember the deals that were in the works last summer? I'm pretty glad none of those came off.

oh I agree.

I'm much more bothered about the Yankees getting considerably stronger at this deadline than I am with us not doing anything.

SABRSox
07-31-2006, 04:29 PM
oh I agree.

I'm much more bothered about the Yankees getting considerably stronger at this deadline than I am with us not doing anything.

They gave up nothing to get all those guys. Absolutely amazing what a fiscally irresponsible owner can do to a ballclub.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-31-2006, 04:34 PM

I would say three:

Lugo over Uribe (Uribe's defense is much better but Lugo is adequate at SS with a much better bat)
Linebrink and
Hernandez over the back end of the bullpenAbreu over Podsednik (shifting Abreu to Left) though the Salary is NOT worth the upgrade so I would pass. A two month rental for Carlos Lee was not worth the booty sent to Milwaukee.

I'm happy with MacDougal. If Kenny could have swung the Linebrink deal that would have been awesome. I wasn't calling for a blockbuster deal (which would send McCarthy and others away) so I am happy with what passed. As a Mets fan I am ecstatic for the two pitchers they received for Nady who I though was a marginal player to begin with. A few more deals like this and we will be even after the Kazmir debacle by the previous regime.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 04:36 PM
oh I agree.

I'm much more bothered about the Yankees getting considerably stronger at this deadline than I am with us not doing anything.I don't think they got that much stronger when it comes right down to it. They replaced Chacon with Lidle, but no one would mistake either of them for Cy Young. We'll see how well Lidle does in NY the first time he has a bad game. Abreu replaces Matsui and Sheffield. Abreu's good but he can't replace two players. Wilson is just a filler until Cano comes back. And their starting rotation is still spotty. This is still a team that's too old and has problems. I'd still give them no better than 50-50 to make the playoffs.

santo=dorf
07-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Although the trade mas made yesterday, Abreu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pods

You can toss around the salary argument all you want, but you can't tell me with a straight face that Abreu wouldn't be an upgrade over Podsednik in LF.

Lugo would've been an upgrade over Uribe big time offensively, but there would be a noticable downgrade defensively.

Roberto Hernandez sucks. His WHIP is a miserable 1.63 which means for every 1-2-3 inning he has, he has an inning where he allows more than 3 baserunners. Oh yeah, he's doing it in a pressure-less situation in the NL.

DSpivack
07-31-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't think they got that much stronger when it comes right down to it. They replaced Chacon with Lidle, but no one would mistake either of them for Cy Young. We'll see how well Lidle does in NY the first time he has a bad game. Abreu replaces Matsui and Sheffield. Abreu's good but he can't replace two players. Wilson is just a filler until Cano comes back. And their starting rotation is still spotty. This is still a team that's too old and has problems. I'd still give them no better than 50-50 to make the playoffs.

Wilson replaces Cano? I thought Wilson played 1B and corner OF.

SABRSox
07-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Wilson replaces Cano? I thought Wilson played 1B and corner OF.
He does. I think Ol No. 2 confused Craig Wilson with Jack Wilson.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Wilson is a LF I thought. My guess is that he replaces Matsui until he returns. So the Yanks OF would be: Wilson, Damon, Abreu.

rowand33
07-31-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't think they got that much stronger when it comes right down to it. They replaced Chacon with Lidle, but no one would mistake either of them for Cy Young. We'll see how well Lidle does in NY the first time he has a bad game. Abreu replaces Matsui and Sheffield. Abreu's good but he can't replace two players. Wilson is just a filler until Cano comes back. And their starting rotation is still spotty. This is still a team that's too old and has problems. I'd still give them no better than 50-50 to make the playoffs.

Wilson is a 1B/corner outfielder. Wilson and Abreu replace Matsui and Sheff.

and after those guys come back, Wilson will be a good bat off the bench.

Lidle>Chacon.

Chacon wasn't starting for them anyways, and Lidle will, at the very least eat up innings. He's also been pitching very, very well lately. he's won his last 4 starts.

even though they didn't get all the best players, the yanks have been playing good baseball lately, and all the players that they picked up are improvements over the team they put on the field yesterday.

Abreu, Lidle, and Wilson will add some wins for them.

SABRSox
07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Wilson is a LF I thought. My guess is that he replaces Matsui until he returns. So the Yanks OF would be: Wilson, Damon, Abreu.

Craig Wilson is a bench addition. Cabrera would probably play over Wilson. I think Wilson replaces Andy Phillips or Aaron Guiel at this point.

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
He does. I think Ol No. 2 confused Craig Wilson with Jack Wilson.:redface:It's hell getting old.

All those Pirate players look alike to me, anyway.:D:

Mohoney
07-31-2006, 04:58 PM
To be honest, I think that the Dodgers made out well, and despite their horrid play of late, I like them to get a playoff spot now.

I know it sounds crazy, but who else should I be sold on in the NL West (or NL Wild Card, for that matter)?

Ol' No. 2
07-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Wilson is a 1B/corner outfielder. Wilson and Abreu replace Matsui and Sheff.

and after those guys come back, Wilson will be a good bat off the bench.

Lidle>Chacon.

Chacon wasn't starting for them anyways, and Lidle will, at the very least eat up innings. He's also been pitching very, very well lately. he's won his last 4 starts.

even though they didn't get all the best players, the yanks have been playing good baseball lately, and all the players that they picked up are improvements over the team they put on the field yesterday.

Abreu, Lidle, and Wilson will add some wins for them.The Yankees' problems have been pitching. While Lidle is an improvement over Chacon, it's not a huge impact move. We'll see how well he does moving to the AL. Johnson has still been spotty and Wright hasn't been getting it done lately, either. Unless Pavano comes back and is suddenly (and uncharacteristically) outstanding, I still don't give them better than 50-50 to make the playoffs.

Save McCuddy's
07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
You tend to remember the trades that make a difference, but they're really in the minority. As Kenny says, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. Remember the deals that were in the works last summer? I'm pretty glad none of those came off.

Agreed. I still wish the Vazquez deal never happened.

BNLSox
07-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Agreed. I still wish the Vazquez deal never happened.

Maybe now that the trade deadline has passed we'll swap him and McCarthy. Honestly I'd love Vaz as our long inning reliever. We already made the trade and have to pay the man, so we might as well do whats in our best interest for this team rather than playing the woulda coulda shoulda game.

Is that Mets trade still unofficial?!

DaleJRFan
07-31-2006, 05:59 PM
Probably not much of an impact trade, BUT...

Braves send Jorge Sosa (who had been designated for assignment) to the Cardinals for AA Pitcher Rich Scalamandre

Hagan
07-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Wow Jim Hendry is an idiot. Cesar is going to cost them 4.15 million dollars next year and he is just a younger form of neifi perez. .614 .624 and .653 are the ops of Ronny Cedeno, Neifi Perez, and Cesar Izturis. What an incredible powerhouse of a middle infield.

Domeshot17
07-31-2006, 06:30 PM
This must be a dusty move, DUSTY LOVES NEIFI, if he could find 25 players like him, he would be in toothpick heaven!! (no teal needed)

Paulwny
07-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Abreu replaces Matsui and Sheffield. Abreu's good but he can't replace two players.

C'mon No 2 you're usually better than this, Abreu will replace Phillips or Guiel making ny much stronger while they wait for Sheffield and Matsui.

Mr. White Sox
08-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Maybe now that the trade deadline has passed we'll swap him and McCarthy. Honestly I'd love Vaz as our long inning reliever. We already made the trade and have to pay the man, so we might as well do whats in our best interest for this team rather than playing the woulda coulda shoulda game.

Is that Mets trade still unofficial?!

The problem is, you're not going to have Vazquez as your $11 million middle reliever next year. You have to keep him in the rotation to build up his value for a possible trade in the offseason. If you just put him in middle relief and unload him for a mid-level prospect in the offseason, that's downgrading from Chris Young and Luis Vizcaino to a mid-prospect. No good. You hope Vaz improves his trade value this year, or you just bite the bullet and trade Garcia, keeping Vaz on for 2007.

Save McCuddy's
08-01-2006, 08:48 AM
The problem is, you're not going to have Vazquez as your $11 million middle reliever next year. You have to keep him in the rotation to build up his value for a possible trade in the offseason. If you just put him in middle relief and unload him for a mid-level prospect in the offseason, that's downgrading from Chris Young and Luis Vizcaino to a mid-prospect. No good. You hope Vaz improves his trade value this year, or you just bite the bullet and trade Garcia, keeping Vaz on for 2007.

I disagree. You can't allow a mistake to continue to bury you. We can't get Young back -- the damage has been done. Perhaps we thought Javy could be another Conteras and succeed in a ballpark other than Yankee Stadium. The bigger truth however, is that he is a National League pitcher who needs the lower part of the order to bail him out of jams on a regular basis.

I can't foresee the Sox moving him to the pen any time this year, but low trade value shouldn't prevent them from moving him in the offseason -- that is unless the yield from trading Garcia was exceptionally better. McCarthy needs to be in the rotation and building experience. Again, reference Garland and how long it took to develop him. Unfortunately, with the loss of Young and the retardation of McCarthy's development, our $11 million 5th starter has proved to be a very expensive spare part.

Flight #24
08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Again, reference Garland and how long it took to develop him. Unfortunately, with the loss of Young and the retardation of McCarthy's development, our $11 million 5th starter has proved to be a very expensive spare part.

I think this is spot on. Yes, Javy's underachieved given his talent. However, take most analyses of his starts and replace the word "Vazquez" with "Garland ca 2003-4" and it's pretty much right there. Similarly Contreras. It seems to take about a year under Coop for guys to come out of their issues (Thornton being the exception).

Given that, I believe that KW & Coop & Ozzie know whether or not they'll be able to turn him around, and I wouldn't doubt that they'll be willing to move him to the 'pen for McCarthy if indeed they think that's what wins more games. Kenny is far far more concerned with winning in '06 than say $6M in payroll in '07, which is about the max I think it would cost to send Javy elsewhere for the last year on his deal (i.e. the acquiring team gets him for $5M in payroll - which is dirt cheap for a guy who's been a good starter and still shows flashes of it.).